Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,177 members, 7,815,115 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:31 AM

The Difference Between Arsenal And Barcelona - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / The Difference Between Arsenal And Barcelona (1684 Views)

Moderator Needed To Post Real Madrid And Barcelona Match Threads / Predict Scores Between Arsenal Vs Liverpool Match Tomorrow. Who Will Win? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Difference Between Arsenal And Barcelona by galatico(m): 8:45am On Nov 05, 2009
watched two very different games over the weekend. Firstly I watched Arsenal throw away a two goal lead at West Ham to draw 2-2. The second game I watched was Barcelona’s 6-1 hammering of Real Zaragoza in the Nou Camp.

Similar styles

In an article I wrote earlier this season I compared Arsenal’s style of play to the European champions. I also wrote in that article that the Gunners don’t quite have the same quality of player. On their day the Gunners attacking play is almost as good as the Spanish sides but they just lack a key component.

Difference

The big difference between the two sides is the ruthlessness that Barcelona possess. Arsenal have this tendency to shot themselves in the foot. Their soft underbelly or glass-chin as one commentator called it has cost them dearly in recent weeks and months.

This softness has resulted in Arsene Wenger’s side not winning a trophy in four years. This season they have suffered defeats at Manchester United and Manchester City when they could have easily taken three points. Its this lack of ruthlessness that will mean the Premier League title will evade the Gunners for another season.

A hard centre

The so called ‘invincibles’ of Arsenal were always ruthless. A crucial part of that team was the hard-tacking and tenacious Patrick Vieira. At times he was too tough tackling but he added steel to a team full of skillful players. However he was also a box to box player and was handy at grabbing the odd goal.

Barcelona have a hard centre in excellent midfielder Seydou Keita. The Malian international is a superb box to box player, in the same mould as the Frenchman in his prime. He got his reward for all his tracking back against Zaragoza as he scored helped himself to a hat-trick.

Keita has even displaced another top defensive midfielder Yaya Toure in the starting line-up. With Keita in the team Pep Guardiola has been allowed to push Andres Iniesta into a more forward position were he can supply the likes of Leo Messi, Xavi and Zlatan Ibrahimovic with the ball.

Solid centre needed

Arsenal don’t have that tough defensive midfielder to allow Fabregas, Arshavin and Co. to push forward without worry of conceding. The aforementioned Yaya Toure would be an ideal signing, if the Gunners have the funds. Alexandre Song has played there in recent months but doesn’t look ready to fill that role permanently.

Another player who has been earmarked for that role is French midfielder Abou Diaby. He has even been compared to former Gunners captain Vieira. However he has recently came out and said that he is very different from the Inter midfielder. He has admitted that he feels Vieira is a stronger more aggressive player than himself. I also think that Diaby is more of an attacking player.

Over recent blip

Barca had something of a blip before the weekend with a draw against Valencia at the Mestalla and suffering a shock 2-1 defeat to Russian champions Rubin Kazan at the Nou Camp. However it was just that a blip. The Barca of last season showed up at the Nou Camp on Sunday night and they were unstoppable.

They had Zaragoza tied in knots and the team is never happy to rest on their laurels. Even after they had scored six they were still pushing forward to score a seventh goal. Messi looked back to his fantastic best and Zlatan Ibrahimovic was also superb.

I have to admit I thought Inter got the better deal receiving £40million and Samuel Eto’0 for the enigmatic Swede. My opinion of the Swede has been completely changed since his arrival at the Nou Camp. I always thought he was an expensively luxury but he is now showing why Guardiola parted with the superb Eto’o and so much money.

Champions League challengers

Ironically like I have said before I actually think Arsenal are more suited to the European stage than the Premier League. Even after drawing their last Champions League game at AZ Alkmaar I think Arsenal can be a force in this season’s competition, even without the previously mentioned tough tackling midfielder.

European champions Barca will recover from the defeat to Rubin Kazan and win the trophy in my opinion. They are without doubt the best attacking team in Europe. If they hit top gear at any point in the competition then they will be difficult to stop.
Re: The Difference Between Arsenal And Barcelona by ritchboy(m): 9:29am On Nov 05, 2009
But barca are gazing the europa league in the butt crack. cheesy
arsenals soft underbelly is a myth. . . West ham came from behind via two dubious decisions, what can arsenal do about that?
is this article really about the difference btw barca and arsenal or barca and the rest of europe?

This thread should be deleted ASAP cheesy
Re: The Difference Between Arsenal And Barcelona by Nobody: 11:56am On Nov 05, 2009
idiot! You call the loss to Rubin a blip?

How come Barca couldn't win last night. .  . and you have the nerve to say we can't afford Yaya Toure!
Re: The Difference Between Arsenal And Barcelona by khanye(m): 12:14pm On Nov 05, 2009
Start comparing both team when Arsenal start winning something grin
For now Arsenal is no where near Barca cool
Re: The Difference Between Arsenal And Barcelona by slimshay(m): 1:03pm On Nov 05, 2009
Actually Khanye Arsenal is now near 2nd round qulaification, Barca erm. . . . we dey wait.

As per the post, well done, when the author decides to have a mind of his own and stop quoting cliches like 'soft underbelly' he should let us know.

Team has been raping grown men all over the premiership; by the way did you have a coma last season and just woke 2 weeks ago only to relapse and just wake up this morning? Cos you've missed a whole lotta football i tell you.
Re: The Difference Between Arsenal And Barcelona by allboyz(m): 1:06pm On Nov 05, 2009
hisess!
Re: The Difference Between Arsenal And Barcelona by khanye(m): 1:13pm On Nov 05, 2009
slimshay:

Actually Khanye Arsenal is now near 2nd round qulaification, Barca erm. . . . we dey wait.

We won it last season, we are retaining the cup!

allboyz:

hisess!

Dude, aw far wink grin
Re: The Difference Between Arsenal And Barcelona by slimshay(m): 1:21pm On Nov 05, 2009
khanye:

We won it last season, we are retaining the cup!

Believe me, DK's verbal diarrhea was worse than this when the season started. Thread with caution.
Re: The Difference Between Arsenal And Barcelona by khanye(m): 1:33pm On Nov 05, 2009
slimshay:

Believe me, DK's verbal diarrhea was worse than this when the season started. Thread with caution.

I'm not DK cool
Let's wait n see wink
Re: The Difference Between Arsenal And Barcelona by jalether(m): 6:21pm On Nov 05, 2009
Arsenal have being the better team this season, FACT, Barca of last season was the closest a club will/can ever get
to perfection but this season undecided, the fear factor is not there anymore.
Re: The Difference Between Arsenal And Barcelona by Krayola(m): 5:32am On Nov 06, 2009
shocked shocked shocked shocked Mo gbe!! see these wenger boys dey make mouth.

grin grin grin grin grin grin Jokers cool cool cool Tortoise dey try dust cheetah. pschew!! cool cool
Re: The Difference Between Arsenal And Barcelona by chic2pimp(m): 5:40am On Nov 06, 2009
^^^^Don't mind Gaynners jare. Dem no dey shame. Their trophyless team never win kwarect trophy for 5 years and counting but dem still dey hia dey yarn dust. Mschewwwwwwwwwwwwwww cool
Re: The Difference Between Arsenal And Barcelona by Krayola(m): 5:44am On Nov 06, 2009
I no believe wetin I dey read ni sha. What a disrespectful bunch!! Dem suppose chop 12 lashes each grin grin
Re: The Difference Between Arsenal And Barcelona by chic2pimp(m): 6:47am On Nov 06, 2009
DEM SUPPOSE CHOP 80 LASHES OF CANE EACH. TBH,I NO BLAME NAME NAY GAYNNERISM CAUSE AM embarassed embarassed embarassed.
Re: The Difference Between Arsenal And Barcelona by eyonigger(m): 7:38am On Nov 06, 2009
Hahaha, with the saddest day, one just have to come on Nairaland and read threads like this. I need not say anything, the Barca correspondents are here already. Khanye and Krayola, modupe gan!!
Re: The Difference Between Arsenal And Barcelona by slimshay(m): 8:19am On Nov 06, 2009
once again i refer you all to donkeyanu verbal diarrhea. be ye wise.
Re: The Difference Between Arsenal And Barcelona by Krayola(m): 2:54pm On Nov 06, 2009
slimshay:

once again i refer you all to donkeyanu verbal diarrhea. be ye wise.

haha. read thru this thread carefully, and then ask your self, "where is the diarrhea coming from?"
Re: The Difference Between Arsenal And Barcelona by dayokanu(m): 3:52pm On Nov 06, 2009
The difference is trophies One wins trophies while the other has been trophyless for 5 years
Re: The Difference Between Arsenal And Barcelona by eyonigger(m): 3:55pm On Nov 06, 2009
dayokanu:

The difference is trophies One wins trophies while the other has been trophyless for 5 years
Lol, killer talk. Uncle Dayo has said it all.
Re: The Difference Between Arsenal And Barcelona by Krayola(m): 4:05pm On Nov 06, 2009
One is known for getting the fans all gassed up, only to bring them back down to earth when it matters.
Re: The Difference Between Arsenal And Barcelona by khanye(m): 4:11pm On Nov 06, 2009
Krayola:

One is known for getting the fans all gassed up, only to bring them back down to earth when it matters.

O ti to e bayen Kray grin
Aw far? wink
Re: The Difference Between Arsenal And Barcelona by Krayola(m): 4:43pm On Nov 06, 2009
khanye:

O ti to e bayen Kray grin
Aw far? wink

I dey manage my broda. Life don tire me. A little over a month and I'm a free man.
Re: The Difference Between Arsenal And Barcelona by yousouph(m): 6:56pm On Nov 06, 2009
@post. Style of play might be the same but they are in different class. Barca fans, una get mouth but make bayern fan shush.
Re: The Difference Between Arsenal And Barcelona by galatico(m): 9:49am On Nov 09, 2009
ahonohai:

idiot! You call the loss to Rubin a blip?

How come Barca couldn't win last night. . . and you have the nerve to say we can't afford Yaya Toure!

Watch the next word that comes out from your keyboard cuz it might land you in trouble, it's my candid opnion, if it annoys you BUZZ OFF>

(1) (Reply)

Arsene Wenger Wins World Coach Of The Decade Award / OPINION:Best 25 Players Under 25 / Tottenham (0) Vs Manchester United (0), Saturday 13th December

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.