Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,722 members, 7,816,973 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:47 PM

ASUU To Commence A One-month Additional Strike From Wednesday, November 23 - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU To Commence A One-month Additional Strike From Wednesday, November 23 (8242 Views)

Nigeria University Workers To Commence Warning Strike From Monday / ASUU To Resume Indefinite Strike On Monday / ASUU Declares Indefinite Strike From 14th August 2017-Vangaurd (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

ASUU To Commence A One-month Additional Strike From Wednesday, November 23 by Nobody: 8:57am On Nov 22, 2016
The Academic Staff Union of Universities has directed its members nationwide to commence a one-month additional warning effect strike to commence from Wednesday, November 23 to protest the non-implementation of its 2009 agreement with the Federal Government.

According to ASUU, the strike action will be “total and comprehensive”, adding that while it lasted, there would be no teaching, examinations and attendance of meetings in any of its branches.

The union said it would be going on strike over part payment of salaries, non-payment of subventions and the inability of the Federal Government to provide funds for the revitalisation of public varsities, among other reasons.

The union also accused government of allegedly turning the establishment of universities into constituency projects to score a political point.

The National President of ASUU, Prof. Biodun Ogunyemi, while unfolding the plans for the protest, at a press conference after its emergency National Executive Council meeting in Abuja, on Monday, said several efforts to get the government to respect the terms of their agreement had been unsuccessful.

Ogunyemi said, “Our members across the nation are worried that six months after the meeting with the minister of education and a series of letters to amplify the need to respect the spirit and letters of the 2009 agreement and the 2013 Memorandum of Understanding, there has been no tangible results of the issues raised.

“This failure puts ASUU leadership in a severe difficulty responding to enquiries from members of the union about the state of affairs in our engagement with the Federal Government. Following a nationwide consultation with our members, the NEC of ASUU rose from its meeting on Sunday, November 20 with a resolution to ;embark on a one- week warning strike starting from Wednesday November 23 2016.

“The nationwide strike action is total and comprehensive. While it lasts, there shall be no teaching, no examination and no attendance of statutory meeting of any kind in any of our branches.”

He also said the licensing of more universities by the National Universities Commission will not solve the challenge of quality education.

Source: Punch

More Information @ http://www.myedumata.com/2016/11/ASUU-to-commence-one-month-additional.html

1 Like

Re: ASUU To Commence A One-month Additional Strike From Wednesday, November 23 by laurenziz6(m): 9:04am On Nov 22, 2016
Lemme book space
Re: ASUU To Commence A One-month Additional Strike From Wednesday, November 23 by Elzends(m): 9:11am On Nov 22, 2016
Abeg ASUU
Re: ASUU To Commence A One-month Additional Strike From Wednesday, November 23 by benswagtt(m): 9:17am On Nov 22, 2016
3rd to comment! praise God am not under ASUU
Re: ASUU To Commence A One-month Additional Strike From Wednesday, November 23 by hos4x(m): 9:20am On Nov 22, 2016
Na so..
Re: ASUU To Commence A One-month Additional Strike From Wednesday, November 23 by demzey(m): 9:26am On Nov 22, 2016
Is dis how my last one week for my degree exams will be extended?
Re: ASUU To Commence A One-month Additional Strike From Wednesday, November 23 by fbabs(m): 9:27am On Nov 22, 2016
is this news real ? One week warning followed immediately by one month extension.
Awon LAUTECH students nko o what's their fate ?

1 Like

Re: ASUU To Commence A One-month Additional Strike From Wednesday, November 23 by fbabs(m): 9:29am On Nov 22, 2016
demzey:

OAU abi ?
Re: ASUU To Commence A One-month Additional Strike From Wednesday, November 23 by Ksslib(m): 9:30am On Nov 22, 2016
MyEduMata:

“This failure puts ASUU leadership in a severe difficulty responding to enquiries from members of the union about the state of affairs in our engagement with the Federal Government. Following a nationwide consultation with our members, the NEC of ASUU rose from its meeting on Sunday, November 20 with a resolution to ;embark on a one- week warning strike starting from Wednesday November 23 2016.

Title of thread says "one-month" , the bolded says "one-week". Smh

And why is there no direct link to punch? I just checked Punch News and saw nothing relating to this there. @Op paste the link

8 Likes

Re: ASUU To Commence A One-month Additional Strike From Wednesday, November 23 by konjinus(m): 9:35am On Nov 22, 2016
cry cry cry cry cry ABEG ABEG ABEG ABEG
Re: ASUU To Commence A One-month Additional Strike From Wednesday, November 23 by Eleniyan15: 9:37am On Nov 22, 2016
Bleep ASUU

but wait ooo
how true is this??
Re: ASUU To Commence A One-month Additional Strike From Wednesday, November 23 by chinchong: 9:41am On Nov 22, 2016
So, it is true that "at the end of a tunnel, there will always be light either bright or averagely dull". After weeks of mental disturbing stress and bad news, the god news has finally come.

Nice one my dear ASUU. it is time to face my bussiness.
Re: ASUU To Commence A One-month Additional Strike From Wednesday, November 23 by philtrum(m): 9:50am On Nov 22, 2016
This is not even on punch ng website ....the link on the post is an error 404

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: ASUU To Commence A One-month Additional Strike From Wednesday, November 23 by Chukwu94: 9:52am On Nov 22, 2016
a valid link or I don't believe it
Re: ASUU To Commence A One-month Additional Strike From Wednesday, November 23 by samdelaw(m): 9:53am On Nov 22, 2016
Nawa o, this is not good o cos it's like an going to spend 6 yrs on a 4years course
Re: ASUU To Commence A One-month Additional Strike From Wednesday, November 23 by philtrum(m): 9:54am On Nov 22, 2016
Admin should do something about the mofo...
Re: ASUU To Commence A One-month Additional Strike From Wednesday, November 23 by igraman(m): 9:57am On Nov 22, 2016
May thunder fire ASUU.
I only pity Funaab finalists!
Re: ASUU To Commence A One-month Additional Strike From Wednesday, November 23 by twinkletee(f): 9:59am On Nov 22, 2016
all ds jobless pple be postin crap
Re: ASUU To Commence A One-month Additional Strike From Wednesday, November 23 by OreoPaschal(m): 10:07am On Nov 22, 2016
Omg! This is my final year. This shouldn't happen.... Oh God!! [code][/code] cry cry
Re: ASUU To Commence A One-month Additional Strike From Wednesday, November 23 by Iscoalarcon: 10:07am On Nov 22, 2016
demzey:
eyya take heart bro I feel for you cry cry cry cry

2 Likes

Re: ASUU To Commence A One-month Additional Strike From Wednesday, November 23 by babyfaceafrica: 10:08am On Nov 22, 2016
Ksslib:

Title of thread says "one-month" , the bolded says "one-week". Smh

And why is there no direct link to punch? I just checked Punch News and saw nothing relating to this there. @Op paste the link
You are the only one with sense. So far?

3 Likes

Re: ASUU To Commence A One-month Additional Strike From Wednesday, November 23 by echobazz: 10:10am On Nov 22, 2016
The thunder wey go fire ASUU dey do press up
even when d economy is staggering they want to go on strike.

four years course has now become seven years course.
Re: ASUU To Commence A One-month Additional Strike From Wednesday, November 23 by Nobody: 10:11am On Nov 22, 2016
someone just shared this on my dept group but am finding it hard to believe because it not on punch website....just hoping its not true because if it true the thunder that will strike ASUU is still receiving military training in iran
Re: ASUU To Commence A One-month Additional Strike From Wednesday, November 23 by Godian45(m): 10:11am On Nov 22, 2016
a
Re: ASUU To Commence A One-month Additional Strike From Wednesday, November 23 by kushma(m): 10:18am On Nov 22, 2016
Am already tired oooo of this holiday let's school start ooo
Re: ASUU To Commence A One-month Additional Strike From Wednesday, November 23 by dataland: 10:23am On Nov 22, 2016
Btw the website says error 404 grin
Re: ASUU To Commence A One-month Additional Strike From Wednesday, November 23 by DanTrizy(m): 10:24am On Nov 22, 2016
How concrete is this news please
Re: ASUU To Commence A One-month Additional Strike From Wednesday, November 23 by barackodam: 10:25am On Nov 22, 2016
cry cry cry cry cry cry
Re: ASUU To Commence A One-month Additional Strike From Wednesday, November 23 by IbBarham(m): 10:26am On Nov 22, 2016
Abeg lemme finish my exam o...
Re: ASUU To Commence A One-month Additional Strike From Wednesday, November 23 by barackodam: 10:31am On Nov 22, 2016
barackodam:
cry cry cry cry cry cry

Before I start crying and you guys start panicking.

This news is not from a reputable source.

Not on punch, vanguard, not even Guardian.

I refuse to believe
Re: ASUU To Commence A One-month Additional Strike From Wednesday, November 23 by OGeeKush(m): 10:32am On Nov 22, 2016
Thank god i got out on time.. mehn ASUU sef sad

1 Like

Re: ASUU To Commence A One-month Additional Strike From Wednesday, November 23 by Ray360: 10:33am On Nov 22, 2016
For all those panicking already, This news is just a robust falsehood from the jobless OP. The story is not on punch. The strike might be called off tonight.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

MTN Foundation Awards Scholarship To 6,000 Students – Official / The Gore Behind The Pictures {GORE} / Animal World: Surviving The Savannah And Jungle [photos]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.