Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,624 members, 7,823,748 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 02:25 PM

Mileage Palava: Mph Or Km/hr - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Mileage Palava: Mph Or Km/hr (1941 Views)

How Many Miles/km To A Full Tank: Or Mpg Does Ur Run? / Crispy Clean Honda Accord 2005 Model 61000 Km Tokunbo / 2004 Toyota Avensis: Black, 63,000 Km For Sale (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mileage Palava: Mph Or Km/hr by elektra80: 9:58pm On Nov 05, 2009
I just think it will be wise to throw more light on this topic. We all know that american cars are calibrated in MPH while most cars from europe use Km/Hr. The first thing that people look for when buying a used car is the mileage and many of them do not take note if its in miles or kilometers. I tried selling a car to a guy with mileage 185,000km and he said he can't buy it because the mileage is too much for him ( that was a 2000 model car). He saw another car with mileage of 125,000miles and he went for it saying its better than 185,000.

I think to my own knowledge any car with calibration of mph then distance travelled is in miles, while for km/hr distance travelled is measured in kilometers (correct me of i am wrong) . Since 1miles = 1.60934km, That means a mileage of 125,000 miles is equivalent to 201,168km. So if u ask me , a mileage of 185,000km is far better than that of 125,000 miles. If u convert 185,000 km to miles it will give u 115,000 miles.

My point is that people should check the mileage calibration before concluding on mileage of used cars. if the calibration is km/hr then mileage of 130,000 plus does not necessarily mean high mileage becasue when u convert to miles it will give u only 80,778miles. Most people are just concerned about the figures of the mileage and not bothered about the calibration
Re: Mileage Palava: Mph Or Km/hr by icesmooth: 12:05pm On Nov 06, 2009
Fantastic learning point.
Re: Mileage Palava: Mph Or Km/hr by kuntash: 12:36pm On Nov 06, 2009
@ poster - excellent food for thought, many people are ignorant of this ,

however, distance travelled by a car to rate stuff as performance et al, in my view has lots of dependencies, a high mileage car thats used carfully expecially highway miles are better than those stop and go cars kind of driving,
vehicles enjoy long distance rides, good for the engine especially, grin grin
Re: Mileage Palava: Mph Or Km/hr by kenkruse: 2:49pm On Nov 06, 2009
good observation,
Re: Mileage Palava: Mph Or Km/hr by rockiedink(m): 3:52pm On Nov 06, 2009
kuntash:

@ poster - excellent food for thought, many people are ignorant of this ,

however, distance travelled by a car to rate stuff as performance et al, in my view has lots of dependencies, a high mileage car thats used carfully expecially highway miles are better than those stop and go cars kind of driving,
vehicles enjoy long distance rides, good for the engine especially, grin grin

well structured and reasonable quote!!! cool cool cool
Re: Mileage Palava: Mph Or Km/hr by Delta007(m): 4:07pm On Nov 06, 2009
elektra80:

I just think it will be wise to throw more light on this topic. We all know that american cars are calibrated in MPH while most cars from europe use Km/Hr.
Point of correction - Most vehicles designed for the US have their calibration in MPH (Not necessarily American Cars). American cars designed for Canada have their calibration in K/Hr.
Re: Mileage Palava: Mph Or Km/hr by wheelsnwd(m): 5:01pm On Nov 06, 2009
Topic on point. Worthy to note as well that mileage of a car should not be considered in isolation especially with odometer clocking not uncommon with unscrupulous car dealers.
Re: Mileage Palava: Mph Or Km/hr by Fhemmmy: 6:15pm On Nov 06, 2009
Just educate them when that happens . . . .BTW must people always has for American specs and Kliks is one way to know it is non-America.
However, Canada uses kliks as well and not miles
Re: Mileage Palava: Mph Or Km/hr by Nobody: 8:10pm On Nov 06, 2009
Delta007:

Point of correction - Most vehicles designed for the US have their calibration in MPH (Not necessarily American Cars). American cars designed for Canada have their calibration in K/Hr.

The reference to "American cars" in this context, refers to cars built and marketed in the United States. It wouldn't matter if these cars were European, American or Japanese, if they're destined for use in the US, the speedo's will be caliberated in MPH.

Same rules will apply to Canada and the ROW.
Re: Mileage Palava: Mph Or Km/hr by Fhemmmy: 8:23pm On Nov 06, 2009
Siena:

The reference to "American cars" in this context, refers to cars built and marketed in the United States. It wouldn't matter if these cars were European, American or Japanese, if they're destined for use in the US, the speedo's will be caliberated in MPH.

Same rules will apply to Canada and the ROW.

True Dat

(1) (Reply)

Info On Customs Auction Of Seized Containers / Toyota Hilux 2009 Single Cabin At 3m / Tokunbo 2007 Mercedez Benz Gl450 4matic SUV

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.