Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,015 members, 7,817,989 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:09 AM

I've Decided To 'throw My Hat' Into Nigeria Politics, Says Gay Activist - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I've Decided To 'throw My Hat' Into Nigeria Politics, Says Gay Activist (601 Views)

Cameroon Residents Repel Boko Haram Attack, Chase Terrorists Into Nigeria.Photos / Customs Seizes Senator’s 13 Cars Smuggled Into Nigeria / Tony Anenih Retires From Politics, Says I Have No More Ambition.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I've Decided To 'throw My Hat' Into Nigeria Politics, Says Gay Activist by vibzy: 9:03pm On Nov 22, 2016
Lagos - Nigerian gay activist, Bisi Alimi, who recently got married to his Scottish lover might just be planning to contest the west Africa country's 2019 elections.

Alimi posted a tweet over the weekend in which he said that he had finally decided to throw his "hat into Nigerian politics".

"After much thinking for over 2yrs, I have decided to throw my hat into Nigeria politics. In what capacity? Will declare later," he tweeted.

See his tweet below. If he lives up to his word, Alimi would be the first openly gay man to go into Nigerian politics.

Reports last year indicated that Alimi was assaulted and persecuted before he fled into exile, all because he was gay.

It was reported at the time that he spoke about his travails to persuade British legislators to engage Nigerian policy makers about a law that made even befriending a homosexual a crime punishable by 10 years in jail.

Nigeria signed a law in 2014 which made it illegal for gay people to even hold a meeting. The Same Sex Marriage Prohibition Act also criminalised clubs,associations and organisations, with penalties of up to 14 years in jail.

The act drew international condemnation from countries such as the United States and Britain.

After much thinking for over 2yrs, I have decided to throw my hat into Nigeria politics. In what capacity? Will declare later— Bisi Alimi (@bisialimi) November 19, 2016
Re: I've Decided To 'throw My Hat' Into Nigeria Politics, Says Gay Activist by Nutase: 9:15pm On Nov 22, 2016
Nice one. We're expecting you.
Re: I've Decided To 'throw My Hat' Into Nigeria Politics, Says Gay Activist by DTOBS(m): 9:42pm On Nov 22, 2016
The thunder wey go fire you still dey do mannequin challenge.
#Oniyeye...
Re: I've Decided To 'throw My Hat' Into Nigeria Politics, Says Gay Activist by Ahmadgani(m): 9:58pm On Nov 22, 2016
you need azplicueta, David Luis, Cahill, moses and Alonso to defend you because the kind thunder wey Nigerians go use scatter you ehn, messi na him apprentice
Re: I've Decided To 'throw My Hat' Into Nigeria Politics, Says Gay Activist by keme12345(m): 10:12pm On Nov 22, 2016
that hat will fall on BRT line . and guess what.

Re: I've Decided To 'throw My Hat' Into Nigeria Politics, Says Gay Activist by crazymommy(f): 11:37pm On Nov 22, 2016
Nutase:
Nice one. We're expecting you.
Who are the wespeak for yourself only ooooo
Re: I've Decided To 'throw My Hat' Into Nigeria Politics, Says Gay Activist by Blue3k(m): 2:35am On Nov 23, 2016
Lol he might win if he has food policies. If he's just a homo with nothing to offer but gayness what ever. It's like feeling special being openly atheist politician in Nigeria. Nobody cares for your lifestyle but if your a good politician why not.

What have heterosexual religious fools done for country anyway. Lol people get too concerned with identity politics and end up electing empty suits to rob them.
Re: I've Decided To 'throw My Hat' Into Nigeria Politics, Says Gay Activist by Nutase: 4:41am On Nov 23, 2016
crazymommy:
Who are the wespeak for yourself only ooooo
we the people. Are you not wondering what country he wants to contest in.

(1) (Reply)

Benue Deputy Speaker Hon. James Okefe Dumps PDP For APC / Women's Groups Storm Akure To Show Support For Eyitayo Jegede (photos) / #ondo Decide - My Fear For The New Government

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.