Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,146 members, 7,821,911 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:31 PM

Why Do People Seek Power? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Do People Seek Power? (3213 Views)

”seek Other Avenues For Your Relevance”: Nigeria Army Blasts Gov Fayose / What Do People Stand To Achieve By Photoshopping This Picture To Include #GEJ? / Rep To US Ambassador: I Couldn’t Even Hav Sex So Why Would I Seek A Prostitute? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do People Seek Power? by bettercreature(m): 2:22pm On Nov 24, 2016
During William Shakespeare's lifetime, there were frequent struggles for control in and around the court of Elizabeth I and her successor, James I. In turn, many of Shakespeare's plays dealt with themes of political conflict and the struggle to achieve balance between power, justice, and legitimate authority in society. What is so attractive about power? Is it a worthwhile objective, or does power inevitably corrupt people? (AT LEAST a paragraph. Provide examples)
Re: Why Do People Seek Power? by GMBuhari: 2:30pm On Nov 24, 2016
Why do you eat, why do you bath
Re: Why Do People Seek Power? by bettercreature(m): 2:34pm On Nov 24, 2016
GMBuhari:
Why do you eat, why do you bath
You are saying a different thing try harder
Re: Why Do People Seek Power? by GMBuhari: 2:38pm On Nov 24, 2016
bettercreature:
You are saying a different thing,try harder i will give you money

Actually we are saying the same thing

It's a necessity
Re: Why Do People Seek Power? by Newbeginnings(m): 2:55pm On Nov 24, 2016
Power is the ability to exert control over something someone... it can be represented in titles or intellect..

Power is addictive like cocaine.. because

Power brings wealth..
Power increases your status (everyone is running away from the poor status)
Power puts your name in history..
Power gives you an edge over your enemies..
Power helps you subdue your competitors
Power brings respect..
Power makes you valuable

These are why people want to be in power...

Power is worthwhile since it puts you above the poverty line.. You own a couple of businesses that is power and wealth (e.g Dangote)..

you will be highly respected and valuable.. even intelligence is power, because of the status and respect you will gain..

you will be chosen before and above others..people will do favours for you just for you to put them through in academics..

There are so much more examples but This will give you an insight.. as power is as important as existing..

Stay Healthy Stay Wise

2 Likes

Re: Why Do People Seek Power? by bettercreature(m): 3:01pm On Nov 24, 2016
Newbeginnings:
Power is the ability to exert control over something someone... it can be represented in titles or intellect..

Power is addictive like cocaine.. because

Power brings wealth..
Power increases your status (everyone is running away from the poor status)
Power puts your name in history..
Power gives you an edge over your enemies..
Power helps you subdue your competitors
Power brings respect..
Power makes you valuable

These are why people want to be in power...

Power is worthwhile since it puts you above the poverty line.. You own a couple of businesses that is power and wealth (e.g Dangote)..

you will be highly respected and valuable.. even intelligence is power, because of the status and respect you will gain..

you will be chosen before and above others..people will do favours for you just for you to put them through in academics..

There are so much more examples but This will give you an insight.. as power is as important as existing..

Stay Healthy Stay Wise
You are right to some point i like your explanation but the bolded statement is wrong,power is important but its a choice
Re: Why Do People Seek Power? by Newbeginnings(m): 5:51pm On Nov 25, 2016
bettercreature:
You are right to some point i like your explanation but the bolded statement is wrong,power is important but its a choice

For the average citizens it is a choice but for those who have come to understand the way the world works it is as important as existing..

Mark Zuckerberg is so powerful today because he understands how the world works and decided to bring something which pins him to History..

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Seek Power? by bettercreature(m): 8:10pm On Nov 25, 2016
Newbeginnings:

For the average citizens it is a choice but for those who have come to understand the way the world works it is as important as existing..

Mark Zuckerberg is so powerful today because he understands how the world works and decided to bring something which pins him to History..
Mark Zuckerberg is just fortunate to be powerful he is not a good case study,we are talking about those who are fighting for power especially politicians,emperors,kings,civil servants and so on
This is a very serious topic but it seems we dont have many serious youth in this website
Re: Why Do People Seek Power? by Nobody: 8:28pm On Nov 25, 2016
Re: Why Do People Seek Power? by EVarn(m): 9:23pm On Nov 25, 2016
Power is the ability to exert control/influence over the activities of any society.
Power is attractive because it provide a means for an individual or a group to exhibit direct controls over the affairs of the society.
Some see power as a tool to express ideals which they feel are in the interest of everyone else,while some see it as a pedestal for self aggrandization.

In my opinion,it is necessary to seek power,especially when you have something to offer or you are dissatisfied with the status quo; power is the only way to broadly exert change or transformation,either it is positive or otherwise.

I dont believe that power corrupts people,in my opinion,it is the person wielding the power that makes corrupt use of it.Power is just a social tool,not an entity or tangible force,therefore,power does not corrupt man,but it is man that make corrupt use of it.However,power can influence a person's personality or fundamental ideals,but not to the point of complete change; that part is an individual issue.
Re: Why Do People Seek Power? by babyfaceafrica: 9:45pm On Nov 25, 2016
People seek power to influence decision..positively or negatively........I prefer seeking respect,dignity and money........to gain power in naija...you have to do diabolical things...ask your politithefians....they will jist you
Re: Why Do People Seek Power? by MiyattiAllah: 9:54pm On Nov 25, 2016
May they are not satisfied with their own life happenings. That's why they can go to any length just to middle into others life affairs.
Or God gives it to whom he chooses. And people always mess with God's gift to them.
Re: Why Do People Seek Power? by bettercreature(m): 11:01am On Nov 26, 2016
MiyattiAllah:
May they are not satisfied with their own life happenings. That's why they can go to any length just to middle into others life affairs.
Or God gives it to whom he chooses. And people always mess with God's gift to them.
You have to go after it,it doesnt have anything to do with God and most of the time it's battle of supremacy
Re: Why Do People Seek Power? by Newbeginnings(m): 4:02pm On Nov 26, 2016
bettercreature:
Mark Zuckerberg is just fortunate to be powerful he is not a good case study,we are talking about those who are fighting for power especially politicians,emperors,kings,civil servants and so on
This is a very serious topic but it seems we dont have many serious youth in this website

Mark Zuckerberg is not a case study, he is an example of someone with so much power but yet through simple means...

As a serious topic adults like us should discuss this and leave the youths to learn from the background

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Apc Supporters Planing Counter Protest In Support Of Buhari On 5th Feb. (pics) / RE: 'tell Me One Thing..' HERE ARE 10 THINGS Lai Mohammed Said That Weren't True / Buhari's Declining Popularity Evident In Kano Irresspective Of BMC Spins! Photo.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.