Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,669 members, 7,816,749 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:19 PM

Why It Is Ridiculous To Demand Shift In Ondo Election - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why It Is Ridiculous To Demand Shift In Ondo Election (592 Views)

Thousands Storm Abuja To Demand El-Zakzaky's Release (Photos) / Fayose At Zenith Bank To Demand For His Money (More Photos) / IPOB Members Protest In The Streets Of Japan To Demand For Nnamdi Kanu's Release (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why It Is Ridiculous To Demand Shift In Ondo Election by mrrights: 2:46pm On Nov 24, 2016
I find it quite shocking and laughable that some social media commentators are also calling for shifting Ondo Governorship election like those shameless politicians. I must confess, this is most unfortunate and ridiculous. First of all, there are over 50 political parties in Nigeria. Each of them have a responsibility to manage their internal affairs without disturbing others with their intraparty fracas. I don't know how many of those 50 parties have candidates for Ondo election, but I know they are more than 10. So, because 1 party is having problem managing it's internal affairs to decide who flies it's ticket, you are calling on Inec to disrupt the plans and preparation of other parties in contrast to the lay down rules. Who does that? Think for a moment. If Sdp is having the kind of conflict in PDP, would you have asked Inec to shift the date for them to prepare? If AD is having similar problem as PDP, would you ask Inec to shift the date for them to prepare? You and I know the answer. So, why are you calling on Inec to do for PDP, what you will never call them to do for AD, Sdp, Accord, Labour etc? Because of one party's irresponsible behavior, you want Inec to shift election, that's not fairness. Okay. Let's pretend you are correct to advocate for shifting the election. Do you know each party must have planned their finances in line with the election date? Do you know that any attempt to shift the date would significantly jeopardize the chances of other parties or candidates that do not have extra budget for such uncalled for shifting? In case any of the participating parties do not have resources to accommodate the postponement, will you also advocate for them to be reimbursed so they could meet up the demands? Huh,I hope you see how ridiculous such advocacy for shifting the election date is. This is like a track race. As soon as the whistle to begin was blown, everyone is responsible for themselves. If one athlete fall down after whistle to start running had been blown, it has never been heard of, that others would be held back for that reason. Some people might be arguing that election has been shifted before, and I agree with them, but we must remember, those elections weren't shifted because of a party's dispute. All past elections that were shifted were for security reasons. Security of Inec materials and the electorates. Finally, let me conclude that, the infighting in PDP didn't prevent PDP from campaigning. As a matter of fact, I see it as advantage. People don't vote for individuals in election, they vote for the party. Jimoh has been campaigning as the party's candidate, Jegede has also been doing the same. At this point, let both of them continue. Jimoh should urge his supporters to vote for PDP and let Jegede do the same. That's advantage for the party and if they win, they can continue the battle in court. Abdulrazaq O Hamzat

1 Like

Re: Why It Is Ridiculous To Demand Shift In Ondo Election by khadaffi(m): 3:39pm On Nov 24, 2016
Honestly what you have said is the simple truth
Re: Why It Is Ridiculous To Demand Shift In Ondo Election by Max24: 3:51pm On Nov 24, 2016
mrrights:
I find it quite shocking and laughable that some social media commentators are also calling for shifting Ondo Governorship election like those shameless politicians. I must confess, this is most unfortunate and ridiculous. First of all, there are over 50 political parties in Nigeria. Each of them have a responsibility to manage their internal affairs without disturbing others with their intraparty fracas. I don't know how many of those 50 parties have candidates for Ondo election, but I know they are more than 10. So, because 1 party is having problem managing it's internal affairs to decide who flies it's ticket, you are calling on Inec to disrupt the plans and preparation of other parties in contrast to the lay down rules. Who does that? Think for a moment. If Sdp is having the kind of conflict in PDP, would you have asked Inec to shift the date for them to prepare? If AD is having similar problem as PDP, would you ask Inec to shift the date for them to prepare? You and I know the answer. So, why are you calling on Inec to do for PDP, what you will never call them to do for AD, Sdp, Accord, Labour etc? Because of one party's irresponsible behavior, you want Inec to shift election, that's not fairness. Okay. Let's pretend you are correct to advocate for shifting the election. Do you know each party must have planned their finances in line with the election date? Do you know that any attempt to shift the date would significantly jeopardize the chances of other parties or candidates that do not have extra budget for such uncalled for shifting? In case any of the participating parties do not have resources to accommodate the postponement, will you also advocate for them to be reimbursed so they could meet up the demands? Huh,I hope you see how ridiculous such advocacy for shifting the election date is. This is like a track race. As soon as the whistle to begin was blown, everyone is responsible for themselves. If one athlete fall down after whistle to start running had been blown, it has never been heard of, that others would be held back for that reason. Some people might be arguing that election has been shifted before, and I agree with them, but we must remember, those elections weren't shifted because of a party's dispute. All past elections that were shifted were for security reasons. Security of Inec materials and the electorates. Finally, let me conclude that, the infighting in PDP didn't prevent PDP from campaigning. As a matter of fact, I see it as advantage. People don't vote for individuals in election, they vote for the party. Jimoh has been campaigning as the party's candidate, Jegede has also been doing the same. At this point, let both of them continue. Jimoh should urge his supporters to vote for PDP and let Jegede do the same. That's advantage for the party and if they win, they can continue the battle in court. Abdulrazaq O Hamzat
It is the fault of inec. Inec should have used its common sense. True democracy is about numbers and everybody in the country except inec for whatever reasons knows that On do PDP people don't want Jimoh even if he qualifies legally. Inec need not use technicalities to subvert popular wishes. They will end up attracting loss of confidence from the people. Hope they have learnt from this.
Re: Why It Is Ridiculous To Demand Shift In Ondo Election by gebest: 3:51pm On Nov 24, 2016
khadaffi:
am telling u
Re: Why It Is Ridiculous To Demand Shift In Ondo Election by mrrights: 3:59pm On Nov 24, 2016
khadaffi:
We need to start speaking up

1 Like

Re: Why It Is Ridiculous To Demand Shift In Ondo Election by mrrights: 4:05pm On Nov 24, 2016
Max24:

It is the fault of inec. Inec should have used its common sense. True democracy is about numbers and everybody in the country except inec for whatever reasons knows that On do PDP people don't want Jimoh even if he qualifies legally. Inec need not use technicalities to subvert popular wishes. They will end up attracting loss of confidence from the people. Hope they have learnt from this.
Max24:

My brother, it is not the duty of inec to help one party sort out its internal problems, so don't even go there at all. What concerned inec with who is popular or not? Would inec go about conducting survey to know who the party wants? If PDP is not matured enough to handle their party affairs, they should wind up rather than be disturbing other serious parties

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why It Is Ridiculous To Demand Shift In Ondo Election by mrrights: 5:05pm On Nov 24, 2016
shocked
Re: Why It Is Ridiculous To Demand Shift In Ondo Election by Max24: 9:17pm On Nov 24, 2016
mrrights:
My brother, it is not the duty of inec to help one party sort out its internal problems, so don't even go there at all. What concerned inec with who is popular or not? Would inec go about conducting survey to know who the party wants? If PDP is not matured enough to handle their party affairs, they should wind up rather than be disturbing other serious parties
Then we are not ready for true democracy - a government of the people, by the people and for the people.
Re: Why It Is Ridiculous To Demand Shift In Ondo Election by mrrights: 9:25pm On Nov 24, 2016
So, it is inec that will choose for the people?
Re: Why It Is Ridiculous To Demand Shift In Ondo Election by mrrights: 1:19pm On Nov 25, 2016
shocked

(1) (Reply)

If I Become The President / If Afonja,s And Flat Heads Can Unite The South Will Be Prosperous / Justice Abang Keep Receiving PDP Case Files Even When Declared 'fraudulent'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.