Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,769 members, 7,851,625 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 01:46 AM

Music In The 21st Century Lacks Soul!!! - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Music In The 21st Century Lacks Soul!!! (303 Views)

Annie Idibia Blasts A Troll Who Tagged 2face “21st Century Father Abraham” / Yemi Alade drags troll who said she lacks creativity and hating on Tiwa Savage / Paul O Okoye To His Daughter On Her 21st Birthday: You Can Show Me Your Boyfrien (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Music In The 21st Century Lacks Soul!!! by Grammywinner: 4:39pm On Nov 25, 2016
There is something to be said about the quality of today’s music. I don’t mean the quality of your headphones; I mean the sounds that play through them. Lately I have found myself reflecting on the older content of my music library. I have found it more and more difficult to listen to the radio, aside from talk shows. I find myself constantly changing radio stations and hitting next on shuffle. For some reason I just cant find the satisfaction I once had in popular culture’s music. Maybe this is why I listen to the so-called “old skool” more often.

Dont get it twisted I do fancy a lot of today’s music, and listen to it often, but it’s obvious that today’s music lacks quality. Nowadays almost no one listens to full albums. People can’t stand listening to every song from an album, they only purchase singles on iTunes or illegally download a few choice songs here and there. Talented as she is, I don’t think that I could ever listen to a Beyonce record from start to finish; and I know that I wont necessarily get a lot of support on that statement from her more passionate fans. Many who consider themselves music enthusiasts will argue that they know everything there is to know about their favorite artists, while that’s all good and fine what can you tell me about their writing? What do you know about their composing process? How does their sound, melody and poetry evolve into these works we so cherish? Indeed music in the 21st century lacks soul!

I wish I could have been this age in 70s. Now that’s a generation of music classics. Say it’s a cliché choosing that era, but there’s no denying the true artistry of that time. Masters of their instruments, these were the musicians that created an art that will last lifetimes to come.

It’s difficult for me to accept the steady decline in the music industry as regards content quality. This year alone we’ve had tons of music icons release studio albums; the likes of Frank Ocean, Drake, Rihanna, Skylar Grey, Beyoncé, Kanye West, Lady Gaga etc. Yeah, each of those albums sold and are still selling, and songs from the albums also trended, but will that still be the case say a decade from now? Using one of the biggest albums of 2016 as a case study: One Dance, Drake’s lead single from his fourth studio album VIEWS topped music charts around the world and even went on to break music records in the UK, but after awhile we all know what happened. Most of us just got tired of listening to the record. It got so boring that some of us had no pleasure in hitting the repeat button on our music players after just listening to the song. Such anomaly only happens because the sought of music tailored by our 21st century music artists lacks soul. The more reason why they have a short lifespan.

While some may ask who I think I am to make such statements, I say this: I am a student learning more and more about the music business each day, and while I sure as hell don’t claim to know it all, far from it actually, I do know that I find myself fearful of what I will embark on in the nearest future. I know that everyone is fearful of their future in some way, the uncertainty of where it will take you; but you can only live and let life happen to you. Find those opportunities and seize them. I just hope that with all the chaos in the music industry right now, and that by the time I am fully immersed in the business as a livelihood, that someone has emerged who can yet again make their music timeless.

Source:
https://blarckbillboard./2016/11/25/music-in-the-21st-century-lacks-soul/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Music In The 21st Century Lacks Soul!!! by brandonobi(m): 5:05pm On Nov 25, 2016
u do have a point, to ur taste dat is, but d question should be how many people out there r interested in soul music, someone could come out to bring back soul in d future but would it sell or fall. times do change and d reason singers like Beyonce remain at the top of the game is because they give way the majority wants, I for one would like to see another Patti Lavelle but who else?

(1) (Reply)

Reminisce! See How Kemi Olunloyo Warned Mercy Aigbe Of Possible Marriage Crash I / Teebillz Defends Tiwa Savage As Lady Insinuates That She Copied Beyonce In New.. / 7 Reasons We've Been Looking Forward To Accelerate Tv’s “the Wrap Up”

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.