Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,337 members, 7,819,189 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:26 PM

Nigerian Teen Gets Accepted By All Eight Ivy League Schools - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerian Teen Gets Accepted By All Eight Ivy League Schools (942 Views)

Chinaza Asiegbu Accepted Into 8 Ivy League Schools In US. Photos / Jude Okonkwo Accepted Into All Ivy League School / Nigerian New Jersey Teen Gets Accepted By All 8 Ivy League Schools (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Teen Gets Accepted By All Eight Ivy League Schools by Nobody: 5:37pm On Nov 25, 2016
[size=15pt]Source: CNN Inside Africa[/size]
Link: http://edition.cnn.com/2016/04/05/us/ivy-league-student-2016-irpt/

By Gabrielle Sorto, Special to CNN
Updated 1258 GMT (2058 HKT) April 6, 2016

Video Feed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIMF8F4NXME

Full Story
(CNN)There must be something in the water at Elmont Memorial High School.
For the second year in a row, an Elmont Memorial High School student has been accepted to all eight Ivy League schools. Last year, the Long Island high school's salutatorian Harold Ekeh chose to attend Yale University after having his pick of all eight Ivy League schools. This year, Augusta Uwamanzu-Nna, Elmont's valedictorian, will face the same decision.

"Having two students get accepted into all eight Ivy League institutions in back-to-back years is humbling but also speaks to the incredible commitment to children by the families and staff within the EMHS Community," said Kevin Dougherty, Elmont Memorial High School principal.
Teen accepted by all 8 Ivy League schools chooses Yale
Uwamanzu-Nna was also accepted to the four additional schools to which she applied. The experience has been surreal, Uwamanzu-Nna said in a press release.
"My recent accomplishments reflect the hardworking ideals of the town of Elmont, my supportive parents and my dedicated teachers. I am elated, but most importantly, I am thankful," she said.

Ekeh and Uwamanzu-Nna are both Nigerian. Ekeh was born in Nigeria and came to the United States when he was 8. Uwamanzu-Nna is the daughter of Nigerian immigrants.
"Though I was born here in America, I visited Nigeria many times," Uwamanzu-Nna told CNN affiliate WABC. "And I've seen that my cousins don't have the same opportunities that I have. So definitely, whatever I do, I want to make sure that it has an impact on Nigeria."
Uwamanzu-Nna plans to pursue a science-related major. She was a finalist in the 2016 Intel Science Talent Search for her research on cement that could help prevent underwater oil rigs from rupturing. On Monday, she received an invitation to the White House Science Fair.
She is hoping to attend a school where she is able to combine her varied scientific interests, which include biochemistry and environmental studies, she said in the press release.
There are no secrets to academic success, she said. Her 101.64 weighted GPA was earned through hard work.
"I've struggled with numerous classes in the past," Uwamanzu-Nna told WABC. "But I guess what allowed me to be successful ... is my persistence and my tenacity."
Uwamanzu-Nna hasn't made a final decision on what school she will attend, but with acceptance to 12 schools, she has a tough decision to make.
Re: Nigerian Teen Gets Accepted By All Eight Ivy League Schools by Nobody: 5:53pm On Nov 25, 2016
Two flattthead Biafrans?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Teen Gets Accepted By All Eight Ivy League Schools by Nobody: 5:54pm On Nov 25, 2016
Funnicator:
A Igbo Biafran.

Two actually... there is a lot of good in every Nigerian.. regardless the tribe

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Teen Gets Accepted By All Eight Ivy League Schools by Nobody: 5:57pm On Nov 25, 2016
LaEvilIMiss:

Two actually... there is a lot of good in every Nigerian.. regardless the tribe

Hope those duo will return to Biafraland and lead the newly independent Biafra when it is achieved..
Lalasticlala abeg close this thread.
Re: Nigerian Teen Gets Accepted By All Eight Ivy League Schools by Nobody: 6:46am On Nov 27, 2016
Pls close this thread!?? By all means.. I have noticed that a great deal of threads that become popular have to do with tribe bashing, female stereotypes and gossip. Moderators and site owner actions suggests implicit agreement with the pitiless and infantile trends . No Matter, one cannot focus on the negative when there is still some positive to gain from. Steam in your hate if it drives you.
Re: Nigerian Teen Gets Accepted By All Eight Ivy League Schools by uniqueboi1(m): 11:27pm On Oct 04, 2020
Wonderful news
Re: Nigerian Teen Gets Accepted By All Eight Ivy League Schools by tobechi74: 2:09am On Oct 05, 2020
Is it scholarship?
It is easier to get admission there than in nigeria

(1) (Reply)

Futo Senate Extend Resumption Date Till 3rd April 2017 / Is It Possible To Change My Name After Making Payment To NOUN? / Apply Now! Nnpc/chevron 2017/2018 Scholarship For Nig. Students - 5days To Go

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.