Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,038 members, 7,818,067 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:46 AM

Property Owners Sue Lagos Over Badagry Expressway Project - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Property Owners Sue Lagos Over Badagry Expressway Project (1395 Views)

Protest Going On In Lagos Over Fuel Scarcity : Exclusive Photos / Protest In Lagos Over The Execution Of Nigerians In Indonesia / Robbery Near National Stadium, Lagos; Over 30 Cars Vandalized (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Property Owners Sue Lagos Over Badagry Expressway Project by AloyEmeka6: 5:34pm On Nov 07, 2009
Property owners sue Lagos over Badagry expressway project
By Bertram Nwannekanma

THE on-going expansion of the Mile 2- Badagry Expressway by the Lagos State government has sparked a legal row as the Association of Landlords and Property Owners along Eric-Moore-Orile-Mile 2-Badary-Seme Expressway yesterday sued the state before a Federal High Court, Lagos, over the expansion project.

The residents accused the state government of planning to demolish their property without adequate compensation.

In the suit before the acting Chief Judge of the Federal High Court, Dan Abutu, the plaintiffs joined the Attorney General of the Federation, the Federal Ministry of Works and Urban Development, Lagos State Commissioner for Physical Planning and Urban Development, the Commissioner for Lands and construction company, Julius Berger Nigeria, as respondents.

The plaintiffs, who included Chief S.B.A Ogunlana, Mrs. Mercy Obialo, the Registered Trustees of Faith Cathedral International Church and Namos Oil Nigeria Limited, alleged that sometime in 2008, they received eviction notices from the Lagos State government.

The plaintiffs averred that the state government assured them that all those whose property would be affected by the planned expansion of the expressway would be compensated and resettled.

The state government, they alleged, also encouraged them to submit the originals of all title documents of their property to the office of the Commissioner for Physical Planning and Urban Development, after which adequate compensation would be paid to them.

However, the property owners stated that not long after the submission of their documents, the state government mounted a campaign claiming to have paid compensation to all those whose property were marked for demolition, whereas it did not.

They are, therefore, seeking a declaration of the court that the revocation of all existing interests and titles on their lands and property by the state government is illegal, null and void.

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/news/article19//indexn3_html?pdate=061109&ptitle=Property%20owners%20sue%20Lagos%20over%20Badagry%20expressway%20project&cpdate=061109

In the alternative, the plaintiffs want an order of the court mandating the state government to set up a joint committee of estate assessors to inquire, ascertain and determine the ownership of all property so far acquired for the purpose of determining their true value and the payment of proper and adequate compensation.

However, the state government, through the Commissioner for Justice, Supo Sasore (SAN), has raised objection to the suit, saying the Federal High Court lacks jurisdiction to entertain the matter.

Sasore, in his preliminary objection (PO), contended that the reliefs sought by the plaintiffs related to the exercise of the powers of the Governor of Lagos State pursuant to Section 28 of the Land Use Act Cap. L5, Laws of the Federation, 2004, in respect of the acquisition of land and revocation of statutory rights of occupancy to land in the state for overriding public interest.

He argued that the subject of the matter was within the exclusive jurisdiction of the High Court of Lagos State, urging the court to transfer the matter to the state High Court.

Justice Abutu ordered that hearing notice be issued to all the parties in the suit and fixed November 30 for hearing on the matter.
Re: Property Owners Sue Lagos Over Badagry Expressway Project by AloyEmeka6: 7:22pm On Nov 07, 2009
Illegal properties must go.

Order By

BabaPupa, em I mean, Fashola. grin grin
Re: Property Owners Sue Lagos Over Badagry Expressway Project by donjon: 3:13am On Nov 08, 2009
:-x
Re: Property Owners Sue Lagos Over Badagry Expressway Project by babapupa: 3:42am On Nov 08, 2009
I have better things to do with my time today.
Re: Property Owners Sue Lagos Over Badagry Expressway Project by Vallo57(m): 5:32am On Nov 08, 2009
" What are few broken heads in building of a nation" We all must sacrifice one way or another to make our state/Nation great.
Re: Property Owners Sue Lagos Over Badagry Expressway Project by Kobojunkie: 6:14am On Nov 08, 2009
Vallo57:

" What are few broken heads in building of a nation" We all must sacrifice one way or another to make our state/Nation great.

Easy to consider it SACRIFICE when you are not personally affected here, don't you think? Would you have the same mind if you found yourself about to loose your home and investment?
Re: Property Owners Sue Lagos Over Badagry Expressway Project by Vallo57(m): 6:29am On Nov 08, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Easy to consider it SACRIFICE when you are not personally affected here, don't you think? Would you have the same mind if you found yourself about to loose your home and investment?

Yes i would. My grand fathers house was demolished in Lagos( Apongbon Area) to make way for the building of Eko bridge back in the day. People
should be compensated if their property is affected. but everyone should be prepared to sacrifice if need be. Like my Jamaican bros yan " Everybody
wan go Haven, nobody wan die".
Re: Property Owners Sue Lagos Over Badagry Expressway Project by Kobojunkie: 6:39am On Nov 08, 2009
Vallo57:

Yes i would. My grand fathers house was demolished in Lagos( Apongbon Area) to make way for the building of Eko bridge back in the day. People
should be compensated if their property is affected. but everyone should be prepared to sacrifice if need be. Like my Jamaican bros yan " Everybody
wan go Haven, nobody wan die".

Was your grandfather well compensated for his loss? Simple Yes or No will suffice.

These people have NOT been compensated, that is main reason why we are hearing of this. If you are prepared to sacrifice the amount your grandfather was compensated, to pay these people, please feel free to make that SACRIFICE.
Re: Property Owners Sue Lagos Over Badagry Expressway Project by Vallo57(m): 6:57am On Nov 08, 2009
KOBO: Did i not say people should be compensated? Go over my post very well b/4 asking foolish question. If their property is legal sure but if not, that means they are bleeped. Do you know most properties along that Highway was illegal? Now they want to be compensated. Kobo, tell is your family
house affected? Sorry o!
Re: Property Owners Sue Lagos Over Badagry Expressway Project by Kobojunkie: 7:26am On Nov 08, 2009
The state government, they alleged, also encouraged them to submit the originals of all title documents of their property to the office of the Commissioner for Physical Planning and Urban Development, after which adequate compensation would be paid to them.

However, the property owners stated that not long after the submission of their documents, the state government mounted a campaign claiming to have paid compensation to all those whose property were marked for demolition, whereas it did not.

Did you bother reading the article before responding with your wonderful lines on how SACRIFICE is necessary?

Vallo57:

KOBO: Did i not say people should be compensated? Go over my post very well b/4 asking foolish question. If their property is legal sure but if not, that means they are bleeped. Do you know most properties along that Highway was illegal? Now they want to be compensated. Kobo, tell is your family
house affected? Sorry o!

Not sure why asking you if your grandfather was compensated or not amounts to a foolish question since you felt to mention that in reference to your SACRIFICE speech earlier. As I mentioned earlier, this is about the people worrying about possibly NOT being compensated by the same government that promised them earlier that they would be. Where exactly do you read of ILLEGAL properties along the highway IN THIS CASE?

My Family does not have to be affected for me to feel sympathy for those affected! Try putting yourself in other people's shoes and maybe you will see reason why these people are worried.
Re: Property Owners Sue Lagos Over Badagry Expressway Project by Vallo57(m): 8:11am On Nov 08, 2009
KOBKJ: I've said all I needed to say on this topic. Is late and am getting ready to hit my favourite papersoup joint. Care to join me? I know you don't have anything to do tonite hence your surfing the internet this late.
Peace and Alafia

(1) (Reply)

Imo Gets Naval Base / Chuba Okadigbo's Wife Wins Senate Primaries / Some of Governor Ohakims Projects

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.