Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,700 members, 7,816,861 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:01 PM

How I Lost 150, 000 Naira In My Atm Account! - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How I Lost 150, 000 Naira In My Atm Account! (1201 Views)

The High Value Of The Naira In The Eighties (Picture Proof) / How My Roommate Stole 120,000 Naira From My ATM Card And How I Caught Him / My ATM Card Was Stolen And Money Was Withdrawn Within Hours - Advice Needed. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How I Lost 150, 000 Naira In My Atm Account! by chubysoft1(m): 11:49pm On Nov 07, 2009
My worst fears have finally downed on me. This happened Thursday after i checked my account in my ATM machine only to discover that i have just lost 150,000 Naira.

On the 4th of November, that's been Wednesday after i received an SMS message alert and i was told that somebody withdrew 15,000 naira from my account. so i quickly rushed to the bank, Intercontinental Bank to be precise, to know what really happened and to explain to them that i didn't do such transaction. I then thought maybe ti check my account to know if my remaining money was still intact, only to discover that 150,000 naira has been deducted from my account.

I rushed to see the MD of the bank for explanation for the illegal transaction that was made on my account. He told me that the money was really deducted form my account and it took place at their Enugu branch. He contacted the MD of the branch right there in my presence and the MD of the branch now told him that there is little or nothing he can do but said that they are trying to track the face of the thief. But from the way he said it i knew the MD was reluctant to take immediate action.

My fellow Nairalanders, is this not fraud? I am still confused, i mean very confused on what next i should do next because now i am seriously broke. As a matter of fact, the banks are supposed to protect whatever money given to them and they are to bear the sole responsibility of whatever happens to the money justly committed into their hands, BUT the reverse is the case. ARE WE SAFE AT ALL? WHO SHOULD WE TRUST, SHOULD WE KEEP OUR MONEY IN OUR HOUSES INSTEAD?
I NEED YOUR SUGGESTION. PLEASE,
Re: How I Lost 150, 000 Naira In My Atm Account! by doggyall: 11:54pm On Nov 07, 2009
Go back to your bank with your attorney, they will look into it quickly. But make sure you did not give someone permission to withdraw from the account, Request for the check# and cashier receipt of the transaction.
Re: How I Lost 150, 000 Naira In My Atm Account! by 1forall: 1:54am On Nov 08, 2009
Yes, just get a lawyer to write them formally (your branch and the offending branch). . . their response should improve when they see youre serious. . .
Meanwhile I think naija banks have only one MD, I doubt you met someone in a position to do so much about it esp since the act didnt occur at their branch. 

Wait. . . didnt you get a text when the 150 was deducted?
Re: How I Lost 150, 000 Naira In My Atm Account! by 9ijaprince(m): 5:44am On Nov 08, 2009
You should also check if you have given your atm information to wrong people. If its from your side there is nothing you are gonna do.
Re: How I Lost 150, 000 Naira In My Atm Account! by GTay(m): 11:49am On Nov 09, 2009
9ijaprince:

You should also check if you have given your atm information to wrong people. If its from your side there is nothing you are gonna do.

Asides this, there are still some ways people manage to steal passwords and account info from innocent citizens
Re: How I Lost 150, 000 Naira In My Atm Account! by GTay(m): 11:51am On Nov 09, 2009
1forall:

Wait. . . didnt you get a text when the 150 was deducted?

I assume the maximum withdrawal from an ATM card is 60,000 per day
Re: How I Lost 150, 000 Naira In My Atm Account! by Phiry(m): 10:15am On Nov 10, 2009
Well it is possible you gave out your ATM details to scammers. Probably you responded to a fake email message purported to be from your bank ,  Or those fake MTN online promos.

Those are some of the ways ATM details are collected.

You may report to deactivate your ATM card and get another one.

But issue here is money payable through ATM is usually restricted some 40k some banks more. I think the scammers well selected the branch where they withdraw from - probably that branch do not restrict the maximum amount payable through the ATM.
Re: How I Lost 150, 000 Naira In My Atm Account! by 2klong: 11:30pm On Nov 13, 2009
No be joke 0000
the thing happen to me today
thank God no be big money na my food money
20k just pafuka from gtb atm with no alert i tire for this niger ooo
i complain to the md of the branch dem tell me say nothing dem fit do say make i block my atm

I SWEAR I NO GO USE ATM AGAIN I GO DE PUT MY FOOD MONEY FOR HOUSE INSTEAD !

And for those people way de use am i beg you be careful ooo

scammers to much!!
Re: How I Lost 150, 000 Naira In My Atm Account! by dinggle: 12:22am On Nov 14, 2009
we never advance una dey carry ATM, all those disgruntle deportees from USA and UK and a few home base electronic fraudsters are the major people heading these fraud. Since it hasnt happened to you, instead of you to think it will never happen to u, go to your bank now and block your ATM revert back to paper check before its too late!!!!

Also, knw dey use your card do shakara for your girl friend!,,,,,,u all should knw that because of the weakness of a man towards a woman it is only natural that women are recruited to spy on pins!!!, imagine babe wen demand for 5k after sex with her she say make u knw worry since u say u knw too get, u knw no say wen u dey sleep she gather your infos, u check your wallet nothing missing!, one week later your account ring bell.
Re: How I Lost 150, 000 Naira In My Atm Account! by lovemoi2(f): 7:03am On Nov 15, 2009
dinggle:

we never advance una dey carry ATM, all those disgruntle deportees from USA and UK and a few home base electronic fraudsters are the major people heading these fraud. Since it hasnt happened to you, instead of you to think it will never happen to u, go to your bank now and block your ATM revert back to paper check before its too late!!!!

Also, knw dey use your card do shakara for your girl friend!,,,,,,u all should knw that because of the weakness of a man towards a woman it is only natural that women are recruited to spy on pins!!!, imagine babe wen demand for 5k after sex with her she say make u knw worry since u say u knw too get, u knw no say wen u dey sleep she gather your infos, u check your wallet nothing missing!, one week later your account ring bell.

was that even necessary people are talking about an important issue here and all you had to do was bring gabrish into the conversation

are we not supposed to be thinking of what to do about out backward nation Nigeria( FILLED WITH FRAUDSTERS), i have been to undeveloped Asian countries and they are hundred times more organized than Nigerians, the basic commodities they have is what we still call luxury in Nigeria, and to think that Nigeria is richer than them, what a shame

its a shame that in this present world when countries are moving forward we still cant handle something as small as ATM, we still have people afraid of keeping their money in bank,

am afraid with the way Nigeria is going it will take hundreds of years before we can even get to anywhere
SHAME
Re: How I Lost 150, 000 Naira In My Atm Account! by Excellent7(m): 11:28am On Nov 15, 2009
I have heard a lot of this ATM fraud thing, and less than 3 months ago my friend lost 100K about his 2 months salary from Intercontinental ATM machine. One of the very first things I did on entering Naija, was to block my 2 ATM cards.That way every transaction now leaves a paper trail. So don't be thinking of what to do. Block your ATM cards fast and revert to the old paper cheques.Blocking my 2 ATM cards in addition saved me at least 2,400 Naira per year, as my bank in her wisdom charges me for ATM maintenance at 100 Naira per card and then VAT on top of 5 Naira. For me and the banks it is now a cat and mouse affair, because the trust is being compromised. The worst thing is that most times the treat customer complaint on this issue like it is all the customers fault.
I am however suspicious because some of this fraud involved amounts more than the daily withdrawal limit, and involved amounts that could not be exactly dispensed by ATMs
Re: How I Lost 150, 000 Naira In My Atm Account! by gowetok: 7:31am On Nov 17, 2009
It is obvious that someone has stolen your ATM details.so the first step is to tell your bank to block that ATM.Next see the police for further investigations.Please used the police that you know very well or speak your language.And dont 4get prayer is the ultimate KEY

(1) (Reply)

I Need A Good Advice On What Business To Do With 1.6million Naria In Abuja. / Invest In Honeydew Estate Agbara-igbesa Off Lagos-badagry Expresss / why am i been ban always when i' adding text to my thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.