Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,741 members, 7,824,137 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:06 AM

Steps To Practicing Law In United States & Canada As An International Lawyer - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Steps To Practicing Law In United States & Canada As An International Lawyer (3017 Views)

Reasons Why Nigerian Women Don't Like Practicing Journalism - Massmediang.com / PHOTOS: Handsome Nigerian Promoted To A Sergeant In United States Army / Are You Practicing The Course You Studied In School? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Steps To Practicing Law In United States & Canada As An International Lawyer by ERONX(m): 11:17am On Nov 28, 2016
Due to the poor and low stipend most law graduates and practicing lawyers make in Nigeria, most lawyers have resulted in practicing law abroad some of the countries where Nigerian international lawyers practice is the United States and Canada.
One important criteria to practicing law as an international lawyer in the U.S is that such person must sit for the American bar exam and must have graduated from an American Bar Association accredited school. Only the state of California and New York allows people who did not school in the United states to sit for their bar exams. After passing the bar exams you become licensed, and can now practice in the United States after obtaining the minimum employment authorization. Some lucrative aspect of the law to specialize in the United State are Commercial Law, Divorce Law, Entertainment Law etc.

1 Like

Re: Steps To Practicing Law In United States & Canada As An International Lawyer by ERONX(m): 11:18am On Nov 28, 2016
Canada attracts many immigrants. Many of these immigrants have have earned a law degree and have practiced law outside of Canada.
Using Ontario as a case study, the practise of law in Ontario is governed by the Ontario Law Society Act. The Law Society Act governs both lawyers and paralegals. The regulations require that in order to be a lawyer one must complete the “lawyer licensing” process. The “lawyer licensing process” is composed of approximately ten months of “articling” (working under the supervision of a lawyer) and passing two exams. In some cases the requirement of “articling” can be either waived or abridged. In order to complete the “lawyer licensing process” one must be allowed to enter the lawyer licensing process.
NOTE: Graduates of law schools located outside of Canada are required to get a “certificate of qualification” from the National Committee on Accreditation to be allowed to enter the “lawyer licensing process”
There are various Nigerian International law firm in Canada we have firms like Kingsley Jesuorobo & Associates, Ayodele Akintunde & Co. These firms specialize in immigration laws, commercial law etc

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Steps To Practicing Law In United States & Canada As An International Lawyer by MSEdLAW(m): 4:52am On Dec 01, 2016
Pls help me...I would love to practice in canada...mikebassey@gmail.com
Re: Steps To Practicing Law In United States & Canada As An International Lawyer by ERONX(m): 6:47am On Dec 01, 2016
MSEdLAW:
Pls help me...I would love to practice in canada...mikebassey@gmail.com
Are u a practicing lawyer in Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: Steps To Practicing Law In United States & Canada As An International Lawyer by MSEdLAW(m): 7:52pm On Jan 10, 2017
Yes
Re: Steps To Practicing Law In United States & Canada As An International Lawyer by balmofgilead: 1:48pm On Jun 12, 2019
ERONX:
Due to the poor and low stipend most law graduates and practicing lawyers make in Nigeria, most lawyers have resulted in practicing law abroad some of the countries where Nigerian international lawyers practice is the United States and Canada.
One important criteria to practicing law as an international lawyer in the U.S is that such person must sit for the American bar exam and must have graduated from an American Bar Association accredited school. Only the state of California and New York allows people who did not school in the United states to sit for their bar exams. After passing the bar exams you become licensed, and can now practice in the United States after obtaining the minimum employment authorization. Some lucrative aspect of the law to specialize in the United State are Commercial Law, Divorce Law, Entertainment Law etc.
Hello Eronx, please I need some guidance as to how to apply for the New York or California bar exams. I am a practising lawyer in Nigeria with a 2:2 in my LL.B and B.L and a distinction in my LL.M from the UK. Please, I will appreciate your kind feedback. Thank you.
Re: Steps To Practicing Law In United States & Canada As An International Lawyer by Valentinothomas: 11:25am On Jul 04, 2022
Located in South-East Essex, Southend-on-Sea boasts the longest leisure pier in the world. It also boasts seven beaches. Former East Enders often took holidays in Southend, and now the town is an excellent place to call home. Click here to get more information about News & Articles - Paul Robinson.

(1) (Reply)

Part-time Job In Ibadan. / Secret Business Very Few Are Doing In Nigeria Guaranteed To Make You RICH / Cisa June 2008 Study Group.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.