Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,412 members, 7,819,475 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:58 PM

How To Answer, "Why Did You Quit After 3 Months?" - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How To Answer, "Why Did You Quit After 3 Months?" (2947 Views)

Jobs Seekers – See Best Way To Answer “why Should We Hire You?” / The Right Way To Answer The Question: What Should We Pay You? / How To Answer the terrific "Tell Me About Yourself?" Interview Question. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Answer, "Why Did You Quit After 3 Months?" by Nobody: 1:10pm On Nov 28, 2016
Hi nairalanders! once again, i've been caught inbetween the jaws of one heck of a conundrum and I thought I should meet my very smart and intelligent nairalanders to bail me out. I will be going for an interview on thursday (1st Dec) and I don't know how to respond to 'why I quit my former job after three (3) months' should such a question come up. The truth is, I quit because of the stress and frustration but whether I did the right thing by resigning or not is immaterial now as the deed has already been done. Please, anyone with a smart response to such a question should it surface? (Note: the company I quit from is a financial institution...one of the big fours and the interview I'll be going for is a bank). Thanks

Cc:
lalasticlala
seun

davide470
uboma
amicable09

yorex2011

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: How To Answer, "Why Did You Quit After 3 Months?" by Nobody: 1:22pm On Nov 28, 2016
All you people viewing without commenting...I see youuuuu

4 Likes

Re: How To Answer, "Why Did You Quit After 3 Months?" by durubrian(m): 1:36pm On Nov 28, 2016
Just say "because of Buhari... They'd understand

1 Like

Re: How To Answer, "Why Did You Quit After 3 Months?" by Nobody: 1:49pm On Nov 28, 2016
durubrian:
Just say "because of Buhari... They'd understand

Abeg na, I need advice. Na serious matter o
Re: How To Answer, "Why Did You Quit After 3 Months?" by Nobody: 1:51pm On Nov 28, 2016
Pls tag monikers u feel might be able to help out. Help a dude in distress
Re: How To Answer, "Why Did You Quit After 3 Months?" by Nobody: 1:54pm On Nov 28, 2016
AnalyticEngine:
Hi nairalanders! once again, i've been caught inbetween the jaws of one heck of a conundrum and I thought I should meet my very smart and intelligent nairalanders to bail me out. I will be going for an interview on thursday (1st Dec) and I don't know how to respond to 'why I quit my former job after three (3) months' should such a question come up. The truth is, I quit because of the stress and frustration but whether I did the right thing by resigning or not is immaterial now as the deed has already been done. Please, anyone with a smart response to such a question should it surface? (Note: the company I quit from is a financial institution...one of the big fours and the interview I'll be going for is a bank). Thanks

Cc:
lalasticlala
seun
amicable09
davide470
yorex2011

Here is what I will say

Oh, I know. It was such a hard decision. There was a major reorganization and the company wanted to change my contract substantially. After all the changes, it just didn't seem like a good fit or what I'd signed on for and I just really thought it was better to move on to a role where I could bring my passions and talents for financial re-engineering . One of the things that really attracted me to the position here at is your vision and brand Optimization. Could you please tell me more about (Insert Whatever It Is You Can Here)?"

8 Likes

Re: How To Answer, "Why Did You Quit After 3 Months?" by Nobody: 1:58pm On Nov 28, 2016
Google what financial re-engineering means
Re: How To Answer, "Why Did You Quit After 3 Months?" by Nobody: 2:03pm On Nov 28, 2016
cutetonye009:

Here is what I will say

Oh, I know. It was such a hard decision. There was a major reorganization and the company wanted to change my contract substantially. After all the changes, it just didn't seem like a good fit or what I'd signed on for and I just really thought it was better to move on to a role where I could bring my passions and talents for financial re-engineering In the banking sector. One of the things that really attracted me to the position here at is your vision and brand Optimization. Could you please tell me more about (Insert Whatever It Is You Can Here)?"

Thanks! This looks nice
Re: How To Answer, "Why Did You Quit After 3 Months?" by nmreports: 2:11pm On Nov 28, 2016
cutetonye009:

Here is what I will say

Oh, I know. It was such a hard decision. There was a major reorganization and the company wanted to change my contract substantially. After all the changes, it just didn't seem like a good fit or what I'd signed on for and I just really thought it was better to move on to a role where I could bring my passions and talents for financial re-engineering . One of the things that really attracted me to the position here at is your vision and brand Optimization. Could you please tell me more about (Insert Whatever It Is You Can Here)?"

Trust me if you tell me this I would know its not totally true.
Looks like trying to hide the truth or beating around the bush in my opinion.

@ Analyticengine, would give you an opinion shortly.

So here goes;

INTERVIEWER:
"May I know why you quit your job after three months?."

RESPONSE:
I am never the kind of person to quit anything and so it was a very painful experience for me to leave an organization I was really getting to love.

However, I discovered that in other to better engage my skills as well as ensure that the organization I am working for has the capacity to not just benefit from my skill but to also inspire me and give me the room to grow, I decided XYZ is the next best thing that could happen to my career.

At this point, you give examples;

For example;
a. I like an organization that has a library.
b. I love your organization because you encourage study leave.
c. Your company supports training and development.
d. And so on and so forth.

Source: wwww.HRtechnique.com

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Answer, "Why Did You Quit After 3 Months?" by Nobody: 2:21pm On Nov 28, 2016
nmreports:

Lol. Oga, that job was frustrating, no skeleton underneath. It is the truth in its purest form. Infact, a host of others resigned after me. But this thread is not to discuss whether I am hiding something or not, it is to tackle the aforementioned conundrum. I don't want to give the impression that I cannot work under hard conditions to my interviewers...if u catch my drift. I patiently await your input.

1 Like

Re: How To Answer, "Why Did You Quit After 3 Months?" by Nobody: 2:32pm On Nov 28, 2016
I see grin
Re: How To Answer, "Why Did You Quit After 3 Months?" by nmreports: 2:32pm On Nov 28, 2016
AnalyticEngine:

Lol. Oga, that job was frustrating, no skeleton underneath. It is the truth in its purest form. Infact, a host of others resigned after me. But this thread is not to discuss whether I am hiding something or not, it is to tackle the aforementioned conundrum. I don't want to give the impression that I cannot work under hard conditions to my interviewers...if u catch my drift. I patiently await your input.

I edited my earlier comment for an example.
Re: How To Answer, "Why Did You Quit After 3 Months?" by Jokerman(m): 2:58pm On Nov 28, 2016
Must you include it on your CV... or you could simply say it was a contract Job of 3months....

2 Likes

Re: How To Answer, "Why Did You Quit After 3 Months?" by Nobody: 3:03pm On Nov 28, 2016
nmreports:

So here goes;

INTERVIEWER:

RESPONSE:
I am never the kind of person to quit anything and so it was a very painful experience for me to leave an organization I was really getting to love.

However, I discovered that in other to better engage my skills as well as ensure that the organization I am working for has the capacity to not just benefit from my skill but to also inspire me and give me the room to grow, I decided is the next best thing that could happen to my career.

For example;

To be frank, your response seems untrue to me. Mind you he resigned from a multinational firm that has all the examples listed above embedded in their welfare packages.

1 Like

Re: How To Answer, "Why Did You Quit After 3 Months?" by nmreports: 3:09pm On Nov 28, 2016
cutetonye009:

To be frank, your response seems untrue to me. Mind you he resigned from a multinational firm that has all the examples listed above embedded in their welfare packages.

That is another twist. Did he mention that it was a multinational that has all I stated in my response?? I missed that but thanks.
Re: How To Answer, "Why Did You Quit After 3 Months?" by Nobody: 3:10pm On Nov 28, 2016
nmreports:

That is another twist. Did he mention that it was a multinational that has all I stated in my response?? I missed that but thanks.
He made mention of the Big Four
Re: How To Answer, "Why Did You Quit After 3 Months?" by nmreports: 3:11pm On Nov 28, 2016
cutetonye009:

He made mention of the Big Four

So what do you think? *Scratches head*

1 Like

Re: How To Answer, "Why Did You Quit After 3 Months?" by amicable09(f): 3:12pm On Nov 28, 2016
AnalyticEngine, truth is, I can relate to this situation you have at hand. This is one of those times we have to tell a little 'fine' lie to get a job.

The question now should be why do you prefer this company and role you are about to be interviewed for to the one you previously had and resigned from?

It may be because you reevaluated your career goals or that your full potentials weren't being utilized but this won't make so much sense considering you didn't even spend up to 6 months there which is implicating and may likely cause you to come off as a brash candidate before the interviewer.

On the flip side, what if you take it off your CV?
Wouldn't that save you the stress of having to defend a lie seeing that you're coming from a financial institution - a big one at that to another.

I should have done same myself if I had known because in my last interview, I was told that I'm overqualified at the last stage of the recruitment process by the director of the company cheesy.

That was annoying.

3 Likes

Re: How To Answer, "Why Did You Quit After 3 Months?" by Nobody: 3:25pm On Nov 28, 2016
AnalyticEngine, This is a scenario where you have to be smart and take charge. You already have a clue of what the bank needs and where they are heading to. Convince them on how you intend to use your financial engineering skills to optimize their brand.
Re: How To Answer, "Why Did You Quit After 3 Months?" by Nobody: 3:27pm On Nov 28, 2016
nmreports:

So here goes;

INTERVIEWER:

RESPONSE:

However, I discovered that in other to better engage my skills as well as ensure that the organization I am working for has the capacity to not just benefit from my skill but to also inspire me and give me the room to grow, I decided is the next best thing that could happen to my career.

For example;

Thanks! Ideas are gradually building
Re: How To Answer, "Why Did You Quit After 3 Months?" by Nobody: 3:38pm On Nov 28, 2016
amicable09:
AnalyticEngine, truth is, I can relate to this situation you have at hand. This is one of those times we have to tell a little 'fine' lie to get a job.

The question now should be why do you prefer this company and role you are about to be interviewed for to the one you previously had and resigned from?

It may be because you reevaluated your career goals or that your full potentials weren't being utilized but this won't make so much sense considering you didn't even spend up to 6 months there and you will come off as a brash candidate before the interviewer.

On the flip side, what if you take it off your CV?
Wouldn't that save you the stress of having to defend a lie seeing that you're coming from a financial institution - a big one at that to another.

I should have done same myself if I had known because in my last interview, I was told that I'm overqualified at the last stage of the recruitment process by the director of the company cheesy.

That was annoying.

Yes I thought of wiping it off my CV but then, I am an engineering graduate. If for instance I am asked why I intend to work in the bank based on my qualification...this is easy. But a likely follow up question could be if I've had any finance related experience. If I say no, it might be disastrous up front should they do some digging. It will be an added dilemma if I'm asked why I didn't include such profound experience on my CV if somehow the cat finds its way out of the bag. But if I say yes, the conundrum will more than likely surface. I'm probably over-analysing but do u still think it is best I wipe it off my CV? I have two sets of Cvs though. One with the big-four experience and the other without it

Secondly @bolded, I am not a very good liar. I wish I was. For now, I'm just looking for a mechanism that can pad the truth a lil bit. U need to see how I always look whenever my premeditated stories fall apart.

1 Like

Re: How To Answer, "Why Did You Quit After 3 Months?" by Nobody: 3:41pm On Nov 28, 2016
cutetonye009:
AnalyticEngine, This is a scenario where you have to be smart and take charge. You already have a clue of what the bank needs and where they are heading to. Convince them on how you intend to use your financial engineering skills to optimize their brand.

Thanks. All your responses have so far been edifying
Re: How To Answer, "Why Did You Quit After 3 Months?" by Nobody: 4:11pm On Nov 28, 2016
Jokerman:
Must you include it on your CV... or you could simply say it was a contract Job of 3months....

Jokerman:

When I submitted my application, over-zealous me was not thinking clearly. I boldly enlisted it as experience. Now that I'm going for the interview, I was asked to come with copies of my CV. They will definitely make comparism.

Secondly, the big-four I worked for doesn't give contract jobs to engineering graduates for roles in the finance related departments like audit, tax etc
Re: How To Answer, "Why Did You Quit After 3 Months?" by ferrari45: 4:33pm On Nov 28, 2016
AnalyticEngine:

When I submitted my application, over-zealous me was not thinking clearly. I boldly enlisted it as experience. Now that I'm going for the interview, I was asked to come with copies of my CV. They will definitely make comparism.

Secondly, the big-four I worked for doesn't give contract jobs to engineering graduates for roles in the finance related departments like audit, tax etc

you should be happy you included it..because you probably won't have this interview if u didn't cuz u have no prior exp...
sit,tink,research nd find a way around it
all d best
Re: How To Answer, "Why Did You Quit After 3 Months?" by Jokerman(m): 4:49pm On Nov 28, 2016
AnalyticEngine:

Bro, you could type your question on Google, I believe you,d get better answers from experts especially....
Re: How To Answer, "Why Did You Quit After 3 Months?" by Zirah: 5:07pm On Nov 28, 2016
He didn't leave for or because of XYZ. He had left before XYZ so your suggestion doesn’t fit, unfortunately.

nmreports:

So here goes;

INTERVIEWER:

RESPONSE:

However, I discovered that in other to better engage my skills as well as ensure that the organization I am working for has the capacity to not just benefit from my skill but to also inspire me and give me the room to grow, I decided XYZ is the next best thing that could happen to my career.

For example;

1 Like

Re: How To Answer, "Why Did You Quit After 3 Months?" by Zirah: 5:10pm On Nov 28, 2016
This is good but you should be prepared to tell them what the "major reorganisation" was and the "change in contract". You may be asked.

cutetonye009:

Here is what I will say

Re: How To Answer, "Why Did You Quit After 3 Months?" by Nobody: 5:11pm On Nov 28, 2016
Jokerman:

Bro, you could type your question on Google, I believe you,d get better answers from experts especially....

Thanks. Nairaland is only one out of the several instruments I'm using to dig up a solution for my dilemma.

1 Like

Re: How To Answer, "Why Did You Quit After 3 Months?" by Zirah: 5:14pm On Nov 28, 2016
Jokerman:
Re: How To Answer, "Why Did You Quit After 3 Months?" by abumeinben(m): 6:05pm On Nov 28, 2016
Jokerman:

I go with this...

However, if it is relevant to the job he's going for, he needs to include it.

Another thing to add is: it's a contract job of three months, which paid less than the previous one. But idleness would "blunt" my skills so I took the three month job....
The downside to this is: can we contact the employer?
Re: How To Answer, "Why Did You Quit After 3 Months?" by amicable09(f): 6:14pm On Nov 28, 2016
AnalyticEngine:

Yes I thought of wiping it off my CV but then, I am an engineering graduate. If for instance I am asked why I intend to work in the bank based on my qualification...this is easy. But a likely follow up question could be if I've had any finance related experience. If I say no, it might be disastrous up front should they do some digging. It will be an added dilemma if I'm asked why I didn't include such profound experience on my CV if somehow the cat finds its way out of the bag. But if I say yes, the conundrum will more than likely surface. I'm probably over-analysing but do u still think it is best I wipe it off my CV? I have two sets of Cvs though. One with the big-four experience and the other without it

Secondly @bolded, I am not a very good liar. I wish I was. For now, I'm just looking for a mechanism that can pad the truth a lil bit. U need to see how I always look whenever my premeditated stories fall apart.

Charles Babbage my friend grin
I am in a fix now, all thanks to you cheesy

I really don't know if this new coy will go all out digging but if you have substantial support from the answers that have been provided so far to you then leave the experience on your CV (It's the kiwi polish).

I hope this financial institution won't be threatened when they see your CV. Most of these smaller companies have 'inferiority' complex. Lol. They feel if you've been 'there', there's the likelihood you will elope if a bigger offer elsewhere call.

Think it over and make the best decision. It will end in a testimony thread grin
All the best in your interview.
Re: How To Answer, "Why Did You Quit After 3 Months?" by Jokerman(m): 6:43pm On Nov 28, 2016
abumeinben:

I go with this...

However, if it is relevant to the job he's going for, he needs to include it.

Another thing to add is: it's a contract job of three months, which paid less than the previous one. But idleness would "blunt" my skills so I took the three month job....
The downside to this is: can we contact the employer?

Hahaha... d downsize part... grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Factory Workers Needed. Accommodation Available / Awolowo Way, Ikeja From Oshodi (direction) / Vmobile Is Recruiting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.