Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,320 members, 7,815,619 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:21 PM

Maps And Carpets - Poems For Review - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Poems For Review / Maps And Carpets (665 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Maps And Carpets by divchynka(f): 11:08pm On Nov 08, 2009
Maps and carpets
It was terribly cold. As I was explained it was winter. That is snow, wind, December, draughts and as a result of all it is the freezing of the tiptoes, eyelashes and hair.
I was not only explained but convinced: if you don’t believe – look out of the window. I wish I had it. I mean the window you can look through without any disgust, yawn and the perspective to get sight of the urbanized area.
I had not such a window; to be honest I had not any window at all. That is why I was pressing myself against the cold radiator imagining it to be warm. I believed that there was the sun and birds outside. Ivan was not convincing me that it was not like that, he was not convincing me that my date seed would never come up either. And I was dreaming about walking along the path between date palm trees, a rocking chair and a white woolen shawl. No! Bill, I don’t want! The shawl will be just as white as snow. Oh, I am already cold! Let it be orange and warm, with big red flowers like my Chinese rose.
Ivan kept silence. He was dreaming about absurd and strange castles in the air. Then he asked:
- You want to have it all when you are retired, don’t you?
- Yea.
- It is too far before retiring. So, you have enough time to grow a large date forest.
- There are no date forests.
- OK and how are they called then?
- It’s not important. I personally wait for my seed to come up.
- A seed taken out of a dried date which had been bought at a bazaar?
- Don’t you believe?
- I do. Your dreams are so warm. I wonder if there is date jam or not?
- Does it matter to you?
- I’ve just imagined us to have reached the retirement age; we shall have had piles of dates. We shan’t sell them and they will fall and scatter on the ground like our apples left to rot.
- We’ll give them to our neighbors, treat children to them, dry them for the winter like apricots, and plant other palm trees.
- Shall we plant the whole city?
- Yes, you will go and see dates everywhere. Just fancy that!
- Yes, and they fall down, you trample on them, they rot and stink.
I closed my eyes and imagined myself swinging in the rocking chair (with orange and yellow flowers on my shoulders). I was swinging and studying patterns on the carpet that spread under my slippers.
- What’s the use of having such a carpet? - Ivan asked.
- And what’s the use of having such a name like yours?
- Your own floor is better than a foreign carpet.
- Do you consider this rubbed and peeled linoleum which has been closed up by an adhesive tape in some places to be a floor?
- But it is yours. You won’t be pushed away and claimed because of its aesthetic damage.
- Maybe, - I have always agreed with him because I don’t like being involved in a dispute. It is better to nod silently than to prove the point to the person who is firmly convinced that you are not right.
So I have fleecy flowers on, there is an ancient fireplace in the room (I don’t know exactly but this is the very fireplace I want). There is a vase on a marble table (what flowers to choose?) may it be white and black tulips. I see a wedding ring on my finger…
- You should take care of yourself, - Ivan said.
(I don’t say that there is more in it than being cold, I can’t but be somebody else’s but Ivan’s wife).
- I’ve brought something for you,- he added.
He is unwrapping a map of Africa, decorated by palm trees, elephants, giraffes, crocodiles and a warm blue around all of it. It is getting warmer. I am muffling in an old jacket (he doesn’t know yet that in some months I won’t be able to button it up). I wonder whether it is possible for pregnant women to ride on elephants.
Re: Maps And Carpets by Nobody: 9:31am On Jan 08, 2010
very interesting.

Any sequel?
Re: Maps And Carpets by divchynka(f): 10:35am On Jan 08, 2010
Thanks.
No. Idea was to stop in such episode when reader gets freedom to think what can be with heroes next.

(1) (Reply)

Diduro / my poem for review2 / In The End

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.