Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,089 members, 7,814,782 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 07:44 PM

Ofili-Ajumogobia, Obla Granted Bail On Self Recognition - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ofili-Ajumogobia, Obla Granted Bail On Self Recognition (6388 Views)

Okoi Obono-Obla's Nephew Killed In A Cult War In Cross River (Photos) / PHOTOS: Justice Rita Ofili-ajumogobia In Court / Justice Ofili-Ajumogobia To Remain In EFCC Custody For More 2 Weeks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ofili-Ajumogobia, Obla Granted Bail On Self Recognition by Larrykaysail(m): 1:59am On Nov 29, 2016
Justice Rita Ofili-Ajumogobia and a Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN), Mr Godwin Obla, were on Monday, granted bail in the sum of N20 million and on self-recognition, after they were arraigned at an Ikeja High Court over alleged corruption.

Ofili-Ajumogobia, also a serving judge of the Federal High Court, Lagos, and Obla are being prosecuted by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC). Obla is a serving prosecutor for the EFCC.

They were jointly slammed with a two-count charge of perverting the course of justice by the anti-graft agency. They both pleaded not guilty to the charges.
Obla was charged with an additional two-count of offering gratification in the sum of N5 million to Ofili-Ajumogobia, a public official during her service as a judge. He also pleaded not guilty to the charges.
Ofili-Ajumogobia was further slammed with another 26-count charge of unlawful enrichment, taking property by a public officer; corruption by a public officer, forgery and giving false information to an official of the EFCC. But she also denied the charges.
According to the EFCC, Obla, on May 21, 2015, intentionally transferred N5 million to Ofili-Ajumogobia via his Obla and Co’s United Bank of Africa (UBA) account with number: 1015319084 in order to prevent her from acting in her official duties.
The anti-graft agency alleges that Ofili-Ajumogobia, while serving as a Justice of the Federal High Court, on June 5, 2012, unlawfully received N18 million through her Access Bank Plc account, which she could not give a reasonable account of.
The EFCC said that between 2012 and 2015 Ajumogobia also received a total of 788,000 dollars from various sources into her Diamond Bank Account with number: 0032091183.
She also allegedly received N51.1 million into the Diamond Bank account from various sources, which did not reflect her source of income as a judge.

The EFCC also alleged that between July 5 and Dec. 30, 2010, Ofili-Ajumogobia forged a deed of assignment between County City Bricks Development Co Limited and Nigel and Clove Limited. The forged deed dated July 5, 2010, was purportedly prepared and signed by Charles Musa and Co.
The anti-graft agency said that on Oct.19, the judge made a false statement through a phone call to one Lawal Abdullahi, an officer of the EFCC, where she claimed she was on admission at the Gold Cross Hospital, Ikoyi.
The EFCC said the offences were in contravention of Section 39 (2)(a) of the EFCC Act, Sections 64 (1), 82 (a), 97(1) of the Criminal Law of Lagos State and Section 467 of the Criminal Code.
After the charges were read, counsel to the EFCC, Mr Rotimi Oyedepo, requested for an immediate trial.
But lawyer to Ofili-Ajumogobia, Mr Olawole Akoni (SAN) moved application for bail, pleading with the court to release his client who had been in the custody of the EFCC.

“My Lord, the charge against the first defendant are bailable offences according to Sec 115 (2) (3) of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act (ACJA).

“The defendant does not pose a threat, she’s a responsible member of society, a judge of the Federal High Court and she will certainly stand trial to clear her name.

“On the claims by the EFCC that she has interfered with the investigations of this matter, I refer to paragraph eight of our affidavit, which stated that she has not and will not interfere with the investigations.

“In summary, I urge your Lordship to admit the defendant to bail in her own recognition and in the unlikely event that my Lord would give conditions, I request that the conditions be very liberal,” Akoni said.
Oyedepo, however, countered Akoni’s claims that Ofili-Ajumogobia will not interfere with the trial.

“Your Lordship can look at the proof of evidence before the court, there’s overwhelming evidence against Ofili-Ajumogobia of interference.

“In paragraph six, we gave details about how the defendant interfered with our investigations and tried to influence witnesses who were Ademola Oshodi and Ogor Okafor.

“The statement of Oshodi on Nov. 1 says and I quote ‘Justice Rita called me to meet her at the Church of the Assumption, Falomo, to tell me how I should answer the EFCC questions.’

“I urge your Lordship to refuse this application and grant accelerated hearing,” Oyedepo prayed.
Lawyer to Obla, Mr Ifedayo Adedipe (SAN) noted that Obla, who is a prosecutor for the EFCC, poised no flight risk.

“The second defendant has been going and coming to the EFCC for some sister cases and he has deposited his passport with them.

“The applicant is not a flight risk, he went to the USA with the knowledge of the EFCC and he returned his passport to them, he is not a flight risk.

“There is no instance where he has interfered with the investigations of the EFCC. He is one of them; instead of paying him for the cases he has won for them, they charge him to court.

“I plead with your Lordship, Obla is a respectable member of the bar, a prosecutor for the EFCC and I urge your Lordship to grant him bail.’’

In his ruling, Oshodi noted that though the offences the duo were charged with were serious, the offences were bailable and as a result of their status in society, they poised no flight risk.

“The defendants are hereby granted N20 million bail on self recognition and they shall forfeit their international passports,” the judge ordered.

http://www.newsmakersng.com/2016/11/28/corruption-charge-ofili-ajumogobia-obla-granted-bail-on-self-recognition/

Re: Ofili-Ajumogobia, Obla Granted Bail On Self Recognition by Mrelvinoo: 9:12am On Nov 29, 2016
Hmm

1 Like

Re: Ofili-Ajumogobia, Obla Granted Bail On Self Recognition by jaymejate: 9:13am On Nov 29, 2016
If you carry not more than 10 million, na SARS go carry you.
But if it's 100 million plus, it's EFCC meat. And na all of them de plead not guilty, thieves carrying thieves

Please what's the update on Funaab Vc?

4 Likes

Re: Ofili-Ajumogobia, Obla Granted Bail On Self Recognition by ileogbenfidel(m): 9:13am On Nov 29, 2016
Ok
Re: Ofili-Ajumogobia, Obla Granted Bail On Self Recognition by castel428: 9:13am On Nov 29, 2016
seen. Now tell me how will this epp me log into npower portal? #angryLagosNvolunteer
Re: Ofili-Ajumogobia, Obla Granted Bail On Self Recognition by Nobody: 9:13am On Nov 29, 2016
What a man can do, a woman can do better goes the common adage. It is unfortunate Mrs. Ofili Ajumogobia has chosen to the part of evil to interpret this popular adage.

May Nigeria never witness this set of corrupt Judiciary that openly gave justice to the likes of Wike, Udom etc and auction election judgements to the highest bidder! The rot in this judiciary is substantially alarming and disgustful. I am amazed that young generations of Nigerians particularly the flatt headds are still supporting these bigots. Not only will these wicked justices rot in the hotest part of hell but also the flatt headds supporting them

It is only in Nigeria you see people claiming they are not the only one that is corrupt as defence, shame on them all

4 Likes

Re: Ofili-Ajumogobia, Obla Granted Bail On Self Recognition by sakalisis(m): 9:14am On Nov 29, 2016
Ole
Re: Ofili-Ajumogobia, Obla Granted Bail On Self Recognition by Izonpikin: 9:14am On Nov 29, 2016
A waste of our time..
Re: Ofili-Ajumogobia, Obla Granted Bail On Self Recognition by OnichaIgbo(m): 9:17am On Nov 29, 2016
Ndi ara!
Gwodo gwodo gwodo, corruption siri corruption asighi.
Afuru 500million afughi at the end onyuo ka oku PHCN.

Who's still talking about the three CBN official that were arrested 2days into Buhari government?

1 Like

Re: Ofili-Ajumogobia, Obla Granted Bail On Self Recognition by TheSPEAKER(m): 9:18am On Nov 29, 2016
I thought the law is no respecter of person.

1 Like

Re: Ofili-Ajumogobia, Obla Granted Bail On Self Recognition by Lummy20(m): 9:19am On Nov 29, 2016
Mtcheew
Re: Ofili-Ajumogobia, Obla Granted Bail On Self Recognition by Nobody: 9:20am On Nov 29, 2016
[size=20pt]I thought some people said Buhari is a dictator, how come the same dictator allowed Ajumogobia's bail?[/size]

1 Like

Re: Ofili-Ajumogobia, Obla Granted Bail On Self Recognition by Nobody: 9:20am On Nov 29, 2016
TheSPEAKER:
I thought the law was no respecter of persons.
If we begin to grant everybody bail in respect of their person, who will go to jail?
"Before God, be holy; before a judge, be wealthy"....Russian Proverb.
[size=20pt]If dem no grant am now, IPOB Yoots will set NL on fire with their usual rants.[/size]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ofili-Ajumogobia, Obla Granted Bail On Self Recognition by NaLaugh: 9:21am On Nov 29, 2016
Serious question:

Does anyone know of a major politician who has ever served serious time in jail for corruption in Nigeria?
Re: Ofili-Ajumogobia, Obla Granted Bail On Self Recognition by johnstar(m): 9:21am On Nov 29, 2016
Ok
Re: Ofili-Ajumogobia, Obla Granted Bail On Self Recognition by TheSPEAKER(m): 9:23am On Nov 29, 2016
I thought the law was no respecter of persons.

If we begin to grant everybody bail in respect of their person, who will go to jail?

"Before God, be holy; before a judge, be wealthy"....Russian Proverb.

1 Like

Re: Ofili-Ajumogobia, Obla Granted Bail On Self Recognition by jidxin(m): 9:31am On Nov 29, 2016
Larrykaysail:

http://www.newsmakersng.com/2016/11/28/corruption-charge-ofili-ajumogobia-obla-granted-bail-on-self-recognition/
op there is nothing like self recognition for bail application it is called self recognisance.....how many times do we ve to tell u ehhn

1 Like

Re: Ofili-Ajumogobia, Obla Granted Bail On Self Recognition by emmydollars4life(m): 9:31am On Nov 29, 2016
but injustice is worst part of crime against humanity, what about controversial judge of all time Abang ?

1 Like

Re: Ofili-Ajumogobia, Obla Granted Bail On Self Recognition by TheSPEAKER(m): 9:32am On Nov 29, 2016
ophils1:
All those when eat our yams must pay

The most ridiculous thing is that they'll plead not guilty of eating our yams even while we can see the palm oil on their mouth......and will end up being granted bail.

1 Like

Re: Ofili-Ajumogobia, Obla Granted Bail On Self Recognition by kbitss(f): 9:44am On Nov 29, 2016
Yes OOO, we need update on FUNAAB VC.
Re: Ofili-Ajumogobia, Obla Granted Bail On Self Recognition by ogunsj: 9:47am On Nov 29, 2016
Izonpikin:
A waste of our time..
No. s smear on careers.
Re: Ofili-Ajumogobia, Obla Granted Bail On Self Recognition by Nobody: 9:56am On Nov 29, 2016
The bail is 20 million Naira simple. The self recognition is just for the fact that a surety (persons and landed properties) was not requested.

OP your title is misleading
Re: Ofili-Ajumogobia, Obla Granted Bail On Self Recognition by TroubleMaker47(m): 9:57am On Nov 29, 2016
Criminals! angry

I am a strong advocate for death penalty for corrupt judges!
Kill her!!!
Re: Ofili-Ajumogobia, Obla Granted Bail On Self Recognition by hedonistic: 10:11am On Nov 29, 2016

[b]Ofili-Ajumogobia was further slammed with another 26-count charge of unlawful enrichment, taking property by a public officer; corruption by a public officer, forgery and giving false information to an official of the EFCC. But she also denied the charges.

According to the EFCC, Obla, on May 21, 2015, intentionally transferred N5 million to Ofili-Ajumogobia via his Obla and Co’s United Bank of Africa (UBA) account with number: 1015319084 in order to prevent her from acting in her official duties.

The anti-graft agency alleges that Ofili-Ajumogobia, while serving as a Justice of the Federal High Court, on June 5, 2012, unlawfully received N18 million through her Access Bank Plc account, which she could not give a reasonable account of.

The EFCC said that between 2012 and 2015 Ajumogobia also received a total of 788,000 dollars from various sources into her Diamond Bank Account with number: 0032091183. She also allegedly received N51.1 million into the Diamond Bank account from various sources, which did not reflect her source of income as a judge.[/b]

These are very watery charges that expose the EFCC as an extremely lazy and incompetent investigative body.

It seems that the EFCC's model of investigation and prosecution always depends entirely on self indictment and confession/admission of guilt by the accused. This is ridiculous. You can't keep asking stupid questions pertaining to "explain what this money you received was meant for". "Explain how and why you got this money". I reserve the right not to explain anything to you... My lawyers would explain to the court if necessary. Your duty as the EFCC is to to do the hard work of investigating and establishing that the payments were indeed meant for criminal purposes. In this case, the EFCC should be able to find evidence that the payments were received in order to pervert the course of justice. You can't just assume so or believe so by inference for the mere reason that the woman received payments from various sources. Remember that guilt must always be proven beyond reasonable doubt in the eyes of the law. Prima facie evidence is never enough to prove anything beyond reasonable doubt!

We still have a long way to go in this country before institutions such as the EFCC are ready to do their work in the right way.

3 Likes

Re: Ofili-Ajumogobia, Obla Granted Bail On Self Recognition by TheRealestGuy(m): 10:14am On Nov 29, 2016
TroubleMaker47:
Criminals! angry

I am a strong advocate for death penalty for corrupt judges!
Kill her!!!
She has to be found guilty first, or you want her to be summarily executed without trial?

We're in a democracy dude, stop thinking like buhari the senile septuagenarian.
Re: Ofili-Ajumogobia, Obla Granted Bail On Self Recognition by chansmokers: 10:24am On Nov 29, 2016
divicode:
What a man can do, a woman can do better goes the common adage. It is unfortunate Mrs. Ofili Ajumogobia has chosen to the part of evil to interpret this popular adage.

May Nigeria never witness this set of corrupt Judiciary that openly gave justice to the likes of Wike, Udom etc and auction election judgements to the highest bidder! The rot in this judiciary is substantially alarming and disgustful. I am amazed that young generations of Nigerians particularly the flatt headds are still supporting these bigots. Not only will these wicked justices rot in the hotest part of hell but also the flatt headds supporting them

It is only in Nigeria you see people claiming they are not the only one that is corrupt as defence, shame on them all
You call yourself a grandpa yet you speak like my dog at home.
Grandpa divicode join your mates in the old people's home and stop embarrasing yourself.
Re: Ofili-Ajumogobia, Obla Granted Bail On Self Recognition by Nobody: 10:26am On Nov 29, 2016
chansmokers:

You call yourself a grandpa yet you speak like my dog at home.
Grandpa divicode join your mates in the old people's home and stop embarrasing yourself.

I was replying you until I saw your moniker
Re: Ofili-Ajumogobia, Obla Granted Bail On Self Recognition by ephi123(f): 10:28am On Nov 29, 2016
Bolustic:
[size=20pt]I thought some people said Buhari is a dictator, how come the same dictator allowed Ajumogobia's bail?[/size]

Please stop assaulting our eyes with these big sized posts. Totally unnecessary.

11. Don't create distracting posts with: ALL WORDS BOLD / huge font sizes / ALL CAPS / distracting imagesspaces, etc.

3 Likes

Re: Ofili-Ajumogobia, Obla Granted Bail On Self Recognition by Larrykaysail(m): 11:48am On Nov 29, 2016
jidxin:
op there is nothing like self recognition for bail application it is called self recognisance.....how many times do we ve to tell u ehhn
my Editor no vex
Re: Ofili-Ajumogobia, Obla Granted Bail On Self Recognition by philantoxx(m): 6:12pm On Nov 29, 2016
Beware of scammers here

(1) (2) (Reply)

BREAKING: National Grid Just Collapsed! What's The Situation In Your Area / Thugs Set Fayemi Campaign Office On Fire (photos) / Osinbajo Canvasses More Access To Internet

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.