Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,217 members, 7,836,055 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:01 PM

'South Africa Could Be Big Oil Producer' - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / 'South Africa Could Be Big Oil Producer' (5990 Views)

United State Now The Second Biggest Oil Producer In The World / US To Become The World's Largest Oil Producer By 2017 / Devastated Nigeria Pays Horrific Price To Ensure Profits Of Big Oil (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

'South Africa Could Be Big Oil Producer' by RSA(m): 9:51am On Nov 09, 2009
http://www.fin24.com/articles/default/display_article.aspx?ArticleId=1518-25_2560364

Cape Town - South Africa has the potential to become a more significant oil and gas producer, with a new petroleum act paving the way for more exploration, an official at the Petroleum Agency of South Africa said on Friday.

David van der Spuy, the agency's manager for resource evaluation, said companies active in the country have resumed exploration put on hold during the changes in the law and other companies have come in to secure blocks both on and offshore.

The new law ensures that historically disadvantaged South Africans can participate in the sector.

The agency, which regulates the country's exploration on behalf of the government, on Thursday awarded the exploration licences for two of South Africa's offshore areas to oil major Shell and Singapore's Silver Wave Energy.

"There are still some large areas that are unexplored in South Africa, including far offshore areas , in terms of geology, there is a possibility of larger amounts of oil," van der Spuy told Reuters on the sidelines of an oil conference.

He said the southern Outeniqua basin, currently explored by Canadian Natural Resources, had potential for large oil accumulation, as well as the deeper part of the Orange basin, off the west coast, where BHP Billiton and Shell are active.

Van der Spuy said new substantial gas discoveries were also possible, adding that geological structures were located that were similar to the vast gas deposits found in the Kudu field off the coast in Namibia.

The authority awarded a production licence to US gas explorer Forest Exploration International to start producing gas from its Ibhubesi project off the west coast of South Africa.
Re: 'South Africa Could Be Big Oil Producer' by yeswecan(m): 9:53am On Nov 10, 2009
RSA

try again
Re: 'South Africa Could Be Big Oil Producer' by RSA(m): 10:22am On Nov 10, 2009
grin

Although the story is true but I was just rubbing my asss in some Naija peeps face grin
Re: 'South Africa Could Be Big Oil Producer' by AwodwaGyanOniwe: 10:54am On Apr 15, 2013
To RSA, South Africa does have OIL though we haven't touched our waters. Pls read this link we have about 12-30 BILLION BARRELS OF OIL. Never mind the SHALE GAS.

http://www.energy.gov.za/files/IEP/presentations/OilandGasReservesInSA_30March2012.pdf
Re: 'South Africa Could Be Big Oil Producer' by AwodwaGyanOniwe: 11:43am On Apr 15, 2013
PREPARE TO SEE SOUTH AFRICA CELEBRATING OIL DISCOVERY SOON(official statement its a crysecret just like Russia that kept it a secret to reveal their diamonds trillion dollar wealth).Namibia has started rigging its OIL. Namibia has 16 BILLION BARRELS of oil recently the researchers have found out that have 50 billion barrels of oil their rocks formations are similar to Brazil. While Falkland Islands near Argentina have discovered 60 billion barrels of oil their rock formations are similar to West Coast of South Africa. Here the link to SA contigent oil=30billion barrels.

http://www.energy.gov.za/files/IEP/presentations/OilandGasReservesInSA_30March2012.pdf
Re: 'South Africa Could Be Big Oil Producer' by AwodwaGyanOniwe: 11:44am On Apr 15, 2013
PREPARE TO SEE SOUTH AFRICA CELEBRATING OIL DISCOVERY SOON(official statement its a cry(secret just like Russia that kept it a secret to reveal their diamonds trillion dollar wealth).Namibia has started rigging its OIL. Namibia has 16 BILLION BARRELS of oil recently the researchers have found out that have 50 billion barrels of oil their rocks formations are similar to Brazil. While Falkland Islands near Argentina have discovered 60 billion barrels of oil their rock formations are similar to West Coast of South Africa. Here the link to SA contigent oil=30billion barrels.

Re: 'South Africa Could Be Big Oil Producer' by jba203: 11:50am On Apr 15, 2013
This is good news for the economy. South Africa is alive with possibilities. This country is always inspiring new ways
Re: 'South Africa Could Be Big Oil Producer' by AwodwaGyanOniwe: 3:11pm On Apr 15, 2013
Today Namibia has started its OIL rig, in 2009 they dicovered 9bbl and by 2012 they realised they had more 16bbl. Brazilian oil company and Tullow discovered has about 50 billion barrels of recoverable oil. This alone is good news for us as Namibia is our brother or our 10 province.Not forgeting Madagascar(21 bbl of oil) and Mozambique(7bbl) who will also depend on us on their OIL and benefit on the other hand. Did u knw SASOL has bought out a Canadian firm in Naija. We have stakes there also. wink
Re: 'South Africa Could Be Big Oil Producer' by kwametut: 8:09am On Jun 11, 2013
TO MY FELLOW SOUTH AFRICANS THERES A RESEARCH THAT WAS RELEASED BY PETROSA AND SHELL THAT SHOWS THAT THERES ALOT OF OIL LYING UNTAPPED ON THE WEST COAST OF SOUTH AFRICA. Soon theyr going to make this official, the reason for the delays is because of the new MINING AND OIL BILL. Thats scaring foreign firms like Shell and others.

THIS IS FROM THE OPPOSITION PARTY.
Acknowledging the fact we're a BLESSED NATION. THERES A CHANCE THAT WE HAVE MORE OIL THAN NIGERIA OR LIBYA.
PetroSA's 1st paper on our oil potential stands at 30 billion barrles of contingent oil.
Cape Times

South Africa: SA Today
2 June 2013