Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,433 members, 7,850,527 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 12:34 AM

Questions And Answers On Hypertension - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Questions And Answers On Hypertension (314 Views)

Questions And Answers On AIDS/HIV As We Mark World AIDS/HIV Day / See FAQ And Answers On Nutrition And Weight Loss / Questions And Answers On Hypertension 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Questions And Answers On Hypertension by lekside11: 12:22pm On Nov 29, 2016
Here are a few questions and answers on hypertension. See my article on 5 lies about hypertension. Please feel free to send your questions and comments on my blog. I will be willing to answer your questions.

How often should I check my blood pressure to detect hypertension considering my blood pressure has been normal?
It is recommended that you check your blood pressure at least yearly once you are 18years. I believe I am addressing Africans) This is because of a relatively higher risk of developing hypertension in Africans. In some other races like the Caucasians where the risk of hypertension is low, checking the blood pressure once in 3-5 years if there are no other associated risks of developing hypertension is adequate.

What do I do if my blood pressure becomes too low?
If your blood pressure becomes too low, if you have not taken your antihypertensive drug, please skip the next dose and seek medical attention. On the other hand, if you have taken your medication, please seek medical attention.

How do I know if my blood pressure becomes too low?
Usually, if your blood pressure becomes too low, you may begin to feel lightheaded, dizzy, tired or generally weak. The earliest sign of a low blood pressure is feeling light headed on getting up from a sitting position. The blood pressure measured will be much lower than your usual reading. Generally, a blood pressure of 90/60mmHg or lower is termed hypotension –low blood pressure. However, for people who have had a relatively high blood pressure, a drastic drop of blood could give features of hypotension even if the blood pressure is above 90/60mmHg. A range of 115-139/70-89mmHg is fine for most people. Sometimes your doctor might want it lower or higher in some cases. If your blood pressure becomes too low, it is advisable for you to see your doctor. In summary suspect, a low blood pressure if you begin to feel dizzy, tired, light headed and your blood pressure measurement confirms a lower reading that previous blood pressure range.

What are the likely causes of a low blood pressure?
Likely causes of low blood pressure include a higher than required dose of antihypertensives, a change in brand of drugs and in some cases of lifestyle changes like drastic weight loss in combination with other lifestyle modification. Other causes include severe dehydration from vomiting, diarrhea and reduced oral intake, some severe infections and some drug interactions.

To be continued .....

source: http://medicalinfosblog..com.ng/2016/11/questions-and-answers-on-hypertension.html

CC:lalasticala

(1) (Reply)

Recaps From Our Health Seminar: Let’s Talk About Hypertension / How Can I Get Twitter Followers Fast The Smart Way? / Help Needed.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.