Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,204 members, 7,811,547 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 02:26 PM

Prostrating/kneeling/bowing to Other Than Allaah for Veneration - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Prostrating/kneeling/bowing to Other Than Allaah for Veneration (2539 Views)

Why Can't We See Allaah In This Life? / The Non Muslims Ask Who Created Allaah (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Prostrating/kneeling/bowing to Other Than Allaah for Veneration by Nobody: 3:31pm On Nov 29, 2016
Salaam alaykum brothers and sisters in Islam, I bring to you again another controversial topic which i know might attract insults and bashing to myself, and also i have to apologize in advance for the long write up you are about it, but it's worth it.

It's the issue of how we are to greet each other in Islam, do we prostrate/kneel/bow for each other or not? Insha Allaah this is what we will be looking at, but i would like to remind us of this ayah of the Qur'an, where Allaah The most Exalted says in surah al-ahzaab verse 36;

"It is not for a believing man or a believing woman, when Allaah and His Messenger have decided a matter, that they should [thereafter] have any choice about their affair. And whoever disobeys Allaah and His Messenger has already gone astray, a clear deviance.

Having said this, i will just go straight to the point, IT IS NOT PERMISSIBLE TO BOW/PROSTRATE/KNEEL(not even slightly) to other than Allaah, there are proofs from the Qur'an and sunnah prohibiting this, but i will start from the Qur'an then to the hadeeth insha Allaah;

PROOF 1: Allaah subhanahu wa ta'ala says in Surah Fussilat, Verse 37:

وَمِنْ آيَاتِهِ اللَّيْلُ وَالنَّهَارُ وَالشَّمْسُ وَالْقَمَرُ لَا تَسْجُدُوا لِلشَّمْسِ وَلَا لِلْقَمَرِ وَاسْجُدُوا لِلَّهِ الَّذِي خَلَقَهُنَّ إِن كُنتُمْ إِيَّاهُ تَعْبُدُونَ

And among His signs are the night and the day and the sun and the moon; do not prostrate to the sun nor to the moon; and prostrate to Allah Who created them, if Him it is that you serve.

Allaah says do not prostrate for the sun or the moon, but prostrate to him who created them, some will say, but it is the sun and the moon being spoken of here, we will ask you, are you not one of the creations of Allaah? Or are you mightier than the sun and the moon? This verse alone is enough to stop one from prostration/bowing just to venerate!

Some might say the verse talks about just prostration, why did he now added "bowing", then we will ask you again, when Allaah was speaking to bani israail when they were entering a certain city, He(azza wa jal) said to them;

وَادْخُلُوا الْبَابَ سُجَّدًا

How do we translate that?

Simply;

"And enter the gate making obeisance( a movement of the body made in token of respect or submission, which can be bowing)"

So Allaah used سجّدا, even common sense suggests that, one can't be in motion and be in prostration(the ayah says enter in سجّدا), but you can be bowing and be in motion simultaneously, hence it can mean, prostration or bowing. That was gotren from sura al-baqarah verse 58. And that ends proof 1.

PROOF 2; Allaah(azza wa jal) says in Surah Al-Jinn, Verse 18:

وَأَنَّ الْمَسَاجِدَ لِلَّهِ فَلَا تَدْعُوا مَعَ اللَّهِ أَحَدًا

And that the masaajid are Allaah's, therefore call not upon any one with Allaah

The scholars differed into two with regards to the definition of masaajid because it has two singulars;

1.) Masaajid(plural of masjid) means the plural of a place where sujood is being done due to the "mim" carrying fatha[if mim carries fatha then connected to a verb, it means a location where that verb is being carried out, for instance "kataba" means "to write", "maktab" means "a place where something is being written" yani "a desk", "darasa" means "lesson", "madrasa" a place where lessons are being learnt yani a school].

2.) Masaajid(plural of misjad) means the plural of the parts of the body used for sujood because of the mim carrying kasrah[if mim carries kasrah coupled with a verb, it meana a tool used for carrying out that verb, for instance "fataha" means to open, "miftah" means a tool used for opening, meaning "a key"]

Now, which one is closer to correct? Well to me(and the scholars that are upon the second opinion) the second is more correct, because there is a text which is a very popular hadeeth supporting the second position;

Narrated Ibn `Abbas:
The Prophet (ﷺ) was ordered (by Allah) to prostrate on seven parts and not to tuck up the clothes or hair (while praying). Those parts are: the forehead (along with the tip of nose), both hands, both knees, and (toes of) both feet.

As we can see, it was the masaajid(plural of misjad) that was mentioned in that hadeeth in sahih al-bukhaari, and as we all know, salaah is done for Allaah alone, hence the interpretation of that verse that, All the parts used for prostrating to Allaah is for Allaah alone, and yyou are not allowed to use them for other than Allaah The Exalted, in other words do not prostrate/kneel/bow for other than Allaah.

Note: I haven't said the first opinion is wrong, infact it's correct, because if we are to say all the mosques are for Allaah, and none should be called upon other than Allaah while in the mosque, then we would be correct, but the second is more correct. And that ends the second proof.

Now there are other proofs from the Qur'an, but I planned to bring two proofs from the Qur'an, and two from the sunnah, in that case, we proceed to the sunnah.

PROOF 3; An authentic hadeeth in Sunnan Darimi, Volume No. 1, Page No. 10 says Anas ibn maalik reported that;

"We were on a journey together with the Prophet (sallallaahu alayhi wa sallam) when all of a suddenly a camel came close “and prostrated to the Prophet (sallallaahu alayhi wa sallam)” The Prophet (sallallaahu alayhi wa sallam) questioned: Who owns this camel? At this some young youths amongst the Ansaar said that it belongs to them. The Prophet asked them: What have you done with it? They answered: We have been loading(water) on it since 20 years ago, now when he has become old and gathered much mass on itself so we made up our minds to slaughter it and share the meat amongst our friends. The Prophet (sallallaahu alayhi wa sallam) questioned: Would you put it for sale to me? They answered(exclaiming), It is yours O beloved Prophet (sallallaahu alayhi wa sallam). The Prophet said, keep it but take absolute good care of it until it dies naturally, The Sahabas questioned: O Prophet (sallallaahu alayhi wa sallan) we are more deserving of prostrating to you than the beasts. The Prophet (sallallaahu alayhi wa sallam) answered: It is not allowed for anyone, “IF IT WAS ALLOWED TO PROSTRATE I WOULD HAVE ASKED WOMEN TO PROSTRATE TO THEIR HUSBANDS”

The above hadeeth is alos found in saheeh ibn hibban (4/335).

Points to note;

1.) The prophet knew the sahabas wanted to do it for veneration, not for worship, yet he stopped them and prohibited it, THIS IS A DIRECT RETORT TO THOSE THAT SAYS PROSTRATION CAN BE DONE AS FAR AS ITS NOT FOR WORSHIP.

2.) This extends to Kneeling and bowing, since I've established earlier that words from سجد could mean any of the above, refer back to proof 2 for more.

Thus, the end of proof 3..

PROOF 4; The last proof to be brought, is an hadeeth from tirmidhi hadeeth no.2728, its from Anas ibn Maalik, he said;

One of the Companions asked the Messenger of Allaah (sallallaahu alayhi wa sallam): O Messenger of Allaah, if one of us meets his brother or his friend, can he bow to him? He said: “No.” He said: Can he embrace him and kiss him? He said: “No.” He said: Can he shake his hand? He said: “Yes.”

This hadeeth was classed hasan by imam Al-albaani{the source of this particular information(grading of hadeeth) is https://islamqa.info/en/223781}.

In conclusion, we have successfully proven beyond doubts(except he who has a disease in his heart) that kneeling/prostration/bowing for other than Allaah is haraam and can pose a serious threat to our tawheed, without tawheed no Islam, and all your good deeds gets invalidated.

WAllaahu a'lam,

I pray Allaah makes this beneficial for us, accept this from me as an act of ibaadah, and i seek forgiveness Allaah the swift in forgiving, if I've made any unintentional mistake here.

Salaam alaykum warahmatullaahi wa barakaatuhu.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Prostrating/kneeling/bowing to Other Than Allaah for Veneration by Nobody: 3:48pm On Nov 29, 2016
Get ready. The devils would soon come for your head. Despite these proofs from Qur'an and Sunnah the devils will trow them and walk away to legalize what has been prohibited.

Not even Quran, Its also prohibited in the corrupted scripture before it.

[size=13] "Thou shalt not make thee any graven image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that in the earth beneath, or that is in the water beneath the earth."

"Thou shalt not bow down thyself unto them,
nor serve them; for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God."
[The Bible, Deuteronomy 5:7-9][/size]

1 Like

Re: Prostrating/kneeling/bowing to Other Than Allaah for Veneration by Nobody: 7:42pm On Nov 29, 2016
وَمَن يُطِعِ اللَّهَ وَرَسُولَهُ فَقَدْ فَازَ فَوْزًا عَظِيمًا

And Whoever obeys Allaah and his messenger have achieved a great achievement.

وَمَن يَعْصِ اللَّهَ وَرَسُولَهُ فَقَدْ ضَلَّ ضَلَالًا مُّبِينًا

And(as for) whoever disobeys Allaah and his messenger has already gone astray, a clear deviance.

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Does Islam Promote Violence? / Nobody Can Corrupt The Bible / Terminologies Like Shiites Muslim, Sufi Muslim, Sunni Muslim

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.