Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,817,999 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:07 AM

Folks: NCC WILL FORCE Mobile Networks To Increase Data Tariff From December 1. - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Folks: NCC WILL FORCE Mobile Networks To Increase Data Tariff From December 1. (525 Views)

Ibrahim Pantami Seeks Reduction In Call, Data Tariff / Nigerians Condemn FG Over Plan To Increase Data Tariff. / GSM Companies To Increase Data Rate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Folks: NCC WILL FORCE Mobile Networks To Increase Data Tariff From December 1. by proffc: 12:14am On Nov 30, 2016
This is a 300% increase in the price of data. What this means is that the data plan you pay N1,000 for 1.5 Gigabytes will now be N3,000 while N1,000 will now give you 500 Megabytes.

According to the letter to the mobile networks directing compliance with this policy, it is designed to 'provide a level playing field for all operators in the industry, allowing small operators and new entrants acquire market share and operate profitably...', by exempting them from the price floor for data services. The policy however has a caveat: "For the avoidance of doubt a small operator is one that has less than 7.5 per cent market share and a new entrant is an operator that has operated less than three years in the market."

Meanwhile, I doubt very much the genuine and real intention of the proponents of this policy.

A look @ the industry shows that the newest entrant with less than 7.5% market share is ntel, formed from acquiring Nitel/Mtel. It is the 5th mobile network in Nigeria.

It recently launched its flagship unlimited broadband data service on the LTE spectrum and is yet to gain traction in the market.

It stands to reason therefore that it benefits most from this directive, gaining an advantage over other operators. This is an anti competition policy at best, and a criminal abuse of govt power to favor a business concern. The ntel board is led by Gen. TY Danjuma. I would fully unveil the company's board and management to see its link with NCC.

Now according to NCC, close to 55% of Nigerians use internet and 80% access it via mobile phones. Broken down, this is close to 90 million Nigerian data subscribers and about 72 million mobile data users. Knowing the Nigerian psyche for cheap things, my projection is that ntel will offer attractive data service to draw some of the 90 million people to its network.

NCC just devised a cunning and backdoor way to help ntel grow. We need to fight this corrupt use of power!
- MJ

P.S:- STAND UP AGAINST THIS TYRANNICAL ASSAULT ON THE ONLY ONE AFFORDABLE THING WE HAVE LEFT!

Last I checked Senate wants to ban import of Tokunbo -used- cars (even people in U.S & Europe still do o!), they want to bring back toll-gate, they want to tax calls from the third minute, very soon they will start forcing Comedians and Entertainers to pay a hefty tax just so we won't be able to laugh or make merry!

Sadly, the opposition that should STAND-UP is in disarray, so much that i doubt if they will have any formidable candidate against Buhari come 2019.

(1) (Reply)

That Moment You Discovered Your Mobile Phone Is Stolen, How You Felt. / Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 For Sale / Google Website/servers Down

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.