Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,339 members, 7,864,619 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 09:50 PM

Plummeting Of Container Trucks: For How Long? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Plummeting Of Container Trucks: For How Long? (419 Views)

Container Crashes Into BRT Terminal At Agric, Ikorodu / Photos Of A Container Fall In Apapa Lagos, Perfectly Timed / See How Container Trucks Are Falling Like Chicken At Coconut Apapa Lagos(Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Plummeting Of Container Trucks: For How Long? by samueldinho(m): 11:04am On Nov 30, 2016
Tears more than rain drops keep dropping from my eyes, each time I watched the video clip of the tragedy that befell the late Monica Onokah. According to the reports, it was learnt that she was involved in a fatal accident which happened at Mile 2 bus stop by Festac town in Lagos. A container truck fell on the said lady and crushed her legs in the process as she was about boarding a bike on the road, the lady tripped while trying to run, and the container fell on her legs. It’s so debilitating that such a beautiful, hardworking lady, was crushed and sent to early grave as a result of a container truck that plummeted on her.

It saddens me that her case was not the first, lives have been lost due to the carelessness and recklessness of these container truck drivers, whom I believe could be under the influence of toxic substance while driving or probably not taking time to ensure that their containers are properly tied to their truck using a chain and grab hook, before plying the road. We’ve read and witnessed several others who have lost their lives as a result of the incessant falling of containers.

For how long are we going to keep quiet and fold our hands? Victims of these ugly scenario may not be a member of our family, they may not be a friend but let me state here that, they have family members, these late victims could be bread winners, they could be shouldering so many responsibilities, they could be playing key roles that are not just within the confinement of their families but in the society at large…how long will this unforeseen cataclysm continue?

I can recall vividly that directives were given by the former governor of Lagos state (Babatunde Raji Fashola), that container truck drivers should ply the road at a stipulated time, but as it is now, it shows that such directives are not obeyed let to talk of implementing them. Again, I asked myself, could it be that the various government authorities don’t listen to news or could it be an “I don’t care attitude?” Well, I am not in the position to judge, but whatever may be the case, I feel it’s high time these menace is mitigated. Bearing in mind that the risk these containers possess is high. I feel setting up a Monitoring and Control Agency for container drivers will go a long way to reduce the death rate or accidents on the road. Failure of compliance by these drivers, should result to payment of fine or more stringent punishments.

Life is short, there is no point making someone’s life shorter due to laxity on the part of these container truck drivers. Inasmuch as we cherish our lives, we should bear in mind that no one knows who the next person will be, it’s about time we speak out, watching that lady die in excruciating pains is unbearable. May the soul of the departed rest in peace.

If there is any time to speak and act, then the time in now...Enough is enough!
Re: Plummeting Of Container Trucks: For How Long? by lwise(m): 11:09am On Nov 30, 2016
Hmmmm
It is a serious case that needs urgent attention.

(1) (Reply)

All Arik Flights Grounded From Today, Airline Staffs With Placards / Police College Ikeja / 8 UNESCO World Heritage Sites In India.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.