Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,190 members, 7,815,150 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:14 AM

OIL Or AGRICULTURE: Where The Northern Elites Got It Wrong - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / OIL Or AGRICULTURE: Where The Northern Elites Got It Wrong (377 Views)

Why Most Northern Elites Cannot Speak Against Killings – Shehu Sani / Interesting: Tukur Danmuazu Writes Northern Elites on unity of Nigeria. / ECA Accuses Northern Elites Sponsoring Reports On Biafra, Crises In Igbo Land (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

OIL Or AGRICULTURE: Where The Northern Elites Got It Wrong by davereal(m): 12:55pm On Dec 02, 2016
OIL or AGRICULTURE: Where the Northern Elites Got it Wrong
It was depressing and pathetic the day I read the news that PMB had directed the search for oil in the North. And I thought "what a misplaced priority"!
The global fall in the price of oil and the unfortunate hunger in Nigeria caused by recession should have been an opportunity for the North to explore her comparative advantage in agriculture which is very much needed now than ever. Instead the President is wasting human and capital resources in search of depleting natural resource-Oil.
I know Mr President may not understand the principle of Comparative Adavantage as regards Nation-Building in Multi-Ethnic and Federal System like Nigeria, but what are those bunch of Ministers and Advisers telling this Old Man? Perhaps it is the "Northern Agenda" playing out: a situation where after successful oil exploration in the North, they will unleash their Universal Jihad Agenda on the rest of the country?
Well, focusing on agriculture at this critical moment would have been better for the North. A facebook user captures it much better:
"We are now in an age where, with visionary leadership, the north could for once rise up to her potential to feed Nigeria, feed Africa, and become one of the world’s frontiers of mega-industrial agriculture. We are now in an age where the north could leverage these new frontiers to build a wealth fund for the next three generations. Instead, a leadership suffering from vision glaucoma is casting her net wildly like a lunatic in the desert, looking frantically for a finite resource that is on its way out"- Pius Adesanmi
Re: OIL Or AGRICULTURE: Where The Northern Elites Got It Wrong by Benikuuse(m): 1:12pm On Dec 02, 2016
I Discover You Are A Wailer. Agriculture Has Been Our Occupation, Oil Too Will Be A Great Asset. We Can Not Abandon Oil Because We Are Into Agriculture. If Nigeria Especially The South Didn't Abandon Coco Because Of Oil They Would Have Been Better Off By Now. But I Tell You The North Wouldn't Be As Foolish As The South To Abandon Agriculture Because Of Oil.

(1) (Reply)

Benue Recieves N12.7 Billion Refund From FG / BREAKING: Senate Rejects Nomination Of Magu As EFCC Chairman / Nigerian Army To Set Up Ranches Nation Wide.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.