Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,772 members, 7,955,954 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 07:31 PM

Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. - Travel (75) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. (701625 Views)

The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany / Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience / Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (72) (73) (74) (75) (76) (77) (78) ... (221) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by ark4sunshine(m): 6:28am On May 05, 2017
Lucasinho:

welcome datz where my foolish uncle stays...

grin grin grin
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by obinna5000(m): 7:47am On May 05, 2017
cumz:
Now in Houston, Texas
Will bring full gist tomorrow...
Wanna rest now

Welcome!!

4 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Toppytek(m): 8:01am On May 05, 2017
cumz:
Now in Houston, Texas
Will bring full gist tomorrow...
Wanna rest now

u self don run abi.. NA wa oo.. make US no dey filled up before my time go reach to go there oo
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by NONNYG: 10:53am On May 05, 2017
Lucasinho:

lolz, easy bro
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by alfonso36(m): 11:03am On May 05, 2017
God wey do for una go do for me ooo isseeeee

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by iCool(m): 12:43pm On May 05, 2017
Lucasinho:

WTF! shocked

Hahahaha grin

5 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by abduldope(m): 2:18pm On May 05, 2017
Lucasinho:

no chill bruh

LoLzzZ
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Officialkplus(m): 3:58pm On May 05, 2017
Mehn....US dey sweet me to go o..
But ..how much can one use to apply for a USA visa..
I have a family friend there.

But I wanna do this without anyone f*cling help...

Is this possible at all..??

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 4:01pm On May 05, 2017
^^
The application fee for the B-2 visa is around N54k, and if granted the visa, you will be able to stay with your friend for a maximum of 6 months.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Obizee: 4:01pm On May 05, 2017
@ franknetter love the thread i don dey send you pms since say make we hook up when you dey free i just dey around that parkforest/matteson illinois. if na that side you dey make we hook person need friends o..nwanne di na mba..birikwa o...lol

14 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Toppytek(m): 4:03pm On May 05, 2017
Officialkplus:
Mehn....US dey sweet me to go o..
But ..how much can one use to apply for a USA visa..
I have a family friend there.

But I wanna do this without anyone f*cling help...

Is this possible at all..??

it depends on the type of help u want.. either financial or other processing prolly visa agents.. I don't think impossibility exists in my dictionary.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by alfonso36(m): 4:27pm On May 05, 2017
CFCman:
^^
The application fee for the B-2 visa is around N54k, and if granted the visa, you will be able to stay with your friend for a maximum of 6 months.
is there anything like renewal when you are already there?
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 4:47pm On May 05, 2017
alfonso36:
is there anything like renewal when you are already there?

Nope
You would have to reapply and pay the same application fee. But if you are a frequent visitor to the US, you may skip some other steps in the application process
http://www.immihelp.com/us-visa/visa-interview-waiver.html
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Neyoalao(m): 7:28pm On May 05, 2017
Lucasinho:

Take a chill pill bro. Almost everyone has an uncle like that

6 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 8:22pm On May 05, 2017
Here are the much promised pictures of the "water fetching" place.

Its more like a cway water thingy. But you do it yourself.

8 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 8:23pm On May 05, 2017
The machine accepts quarters (only?)

9 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 8:25pm On May 05, 2017
I haven't abandoned the thread (though it may seem that way). I just have a lot on my hands right now, I go try to dey show up though.

#OneLove.

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 8:32pm On May 05, 2017
Obizee:
@ franknetter love the thread i don dey send you pms since say make we hook up when you dey free i just dey around that parkforest/matteson illinois. if na that side you dey make we hook person need friends o..nwanne di na mba..birikwa o...lol

Nwanne, I go hit you up
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by ibrocoast: 9:26pm On May 05, 2017
Point of correction. 59,200 and it will likely increase on monday or decrease
CFCman:
^^
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by ibrocoast: 7:00am On May 06, 2017
Intended applicant. Visa fee is now 64000. And these fee will expire on the 11 of this month and there is possibility that it will increase again
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Toppytek(m): 7:23am On May 06, 2017
ibrocoast:
Intended applicant. Visa fee is now 64000. And these fee will expire on the 11 of this month and there is possibility that it will increase again

why all these increase thingy?.. na wa ooo.. I hope it doesn't plunge to 100k+ in the nearest future .. make dem pity us ooo
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by neurosci: 10:01am On May 06, 2017
ibrocoast:

What visa? F1 or B2?
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by ibrocoast: 10:07am On May 06, 2017
F1, F2, B1 B2... Any visiting visa category
neurosci:

What visa? F1 or B2?
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by ibrocoast: 10:08am On May 06, 2017
neurosci:

What visa? F1 or B2?
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by ibrocoast: 10:09am On May 06, 2017
F1, F2, B1 B2... Any non immigrant visa category
neurosci:

What visa? F1 or B2?
neurosci:

What visa? F1 or B2?
neurosci:

What visa? F1 or B2?
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by neurosci: 10:13am On May 06, 2017
ibrocoast:

Chai!!!
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Philian112(m): 10:48am On May 06, 2017
Wow! Frank I must Say you've Been very Entertaining & fun learning 4rm U. I love Ur Write-ups​ Mhen kiss

3 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 2:51pm On May 07, 2017
Happy Sunday guys. smiley
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 2:52pm On May 07, 2017
Gist

Make I knack una small gist. grin

========================================================

So, I stated earlier that I now work at burgerKing (majorly). It hasn't really been "smooth", here's why. Being someone who is used to slow, calculated, meticulous processes (due to med school training?), I found it somewhat hard to adapt to the fast paced kitchen job at BurgerKing. Don't misquote me though, my colleagues (who have been working here for years) are lightning fast. Once an order pops up on the screen, they've dropped the buns in the heater, brought out the wrapper, brought out the meat put sauce, and BAM, burger made. all in less than 30 seconds (no joke). So I've been mostly relegated to doing the less skillful chores, like sweeping, doing dishes etc etc. this was how most of my first week went down.

So, on my fourth day at the job, I was doing dishes in the back (Its not like the way we do it in naija sha it's actually less stressful), and this smallie walks in. Her shift had just started, so she clocked in (with her thumbprint) and came to the back to change into her apron. She waka pass my back and I caught a whiff of her perfume (No, this is not a love story, I just want to make a point).

17 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 3:19pm On May 07, 2017
Being somewhat too engrossed in my dishes, I no too notice am. Someone tapped me in the back, and I heard,
"you new here?"

I turned back to see this really really pretty lady who had a frown on her face. I replied "you old here?"
the frown disappeared (albeit momentarily). I glanced at her name tag pinned on her shirt and took notice of her name. I had to ask why she was frowning though. She then proceeded to give me a 5 minute lecture on how much she hates her job, "I don't get paid enough for all this" she says. In my mind I was just shaking my head, if only you visit nigeria and see how many people would do anything to get a job where you're paid hourly. The convo was shortlived though, I had to get back to my dishes and she had to do her chores.

The few times we bumped into each other at work, I reminded her to wipe the frown off her face, (I no too carry anything for mind, honestly).

Some days back, I logged onto my facebook and scrolled through my friend requests, guess who had sent me a friend request? grin

I accepted, scrolled through her timeline and pictures, armed with some facts, I went to work yesterday, we had quite an interesting conversation.
when her shift had ended and she was waiting for her uber to arrive, I casually asked, "what church do you attend?" She laughed and said "who goes to church"?

I was like shocked eh??

she said she's not religious, that she doesn't believe any of these storybooks grin grin

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 4:01pm On May 07, 2017
In the end sha, she refused to give me her number. She say she get boyfriend, and that's he's too nosy, but that we could chat on fb messenger and snapchat. grin

=================

So, another thing that's hard for me to adapt to is their English. Our heavily accented naija english is hard for them to understand, Im learning to pronounce words in a different way and also learning to use hand gestures to communicate. Being someone who's witty (and quite talkative when I want to be), Its annoying I swear. But all in all sha, we learn everyday. Most times, they have to repeat what they say like 3 times before I get it. Its almost like learning a new language.

=================

Mexicans

these people are the butt of majority of the jokes over here. But believe me, they're dogged hustlers. You see how igbo boys wey dey go "oso ahia" dey hustle, that's how these people work; the work rate, focus and determination is worth talking about. Everywhere you jam them, you go notice say dem no come play, they're just after the money. I find them very similar to african migrants. When you look back at where you're coming from, the rot and decay in the system back "home", and you compare what you're seeing here in the USA, you have no option than to succeed.

56 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 4:16pm On May 07, 2017
FrankNetter:
Being somewhat too engrossed in my dishes, I no too notice am. Someone tapped me in the back, and I heard,
"you new here?"

I turned back to see this really really pretty lady who had a frown on her face. I replied "you old here?"
the frown disappeared (albeit momentarily). I glanced at her name tag pinned on her shirt and took notice of her name. I had to ask why she was frowning though. She then proceeded to give me a 5 minute lecture on how much she hates her job, "I don't get paid enough for all this" she says. In my mind I was just shaking my head, if only you visit nigeria and see how many people would do anything to get a job where you're paid hourly. The convo was shortlived though, I had to get back to my dishes and she had to do her chores.

The few times we bumped into each other at work, I reminded her to wipe the frown off her face, (I no too carry anything for mind, honestly).

Some days back, I logged onto my facebook and scrolled through my friend requests, guess who had sent me a friend request? grin

I accepted, scrolled through her timeline and pictures, armed with some facts, I went to work yesterday, we had quite an interesting conversation.
when her shift had ended and she was waiting for her uber to arrive, I casually asked, "what church do you attend?" She laughed and said "who goes to church"?

I was like shocked eh??

she said she's not religious, that she doesn't believe any of these storybooks grin grin
religion doesn't hold sway in the West like it does in sub Saharan Africa, I guess?

(1) (2) (3) ... (72) (73) (74) (75) (76) (77) (78) ... (221) (Reply)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 / Giving Birth In Canada / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.