Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,590 members, 7,809,140 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:01 AM

American Acceptance Of Torture Only Matched By Nigeria & Israel – Red Cross Poll - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / American Acceptance Of Torture Only Matched By Nigeria & Israel – Red Cross Poll (568 Views)

President Macron Endorses Use Of New Currency By Nigeria & 14 Other Countries [F / Court Rules British MI5 Agents Can Murder, Kidnap And Torture / Israel Elects New Prime Minister Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

American Acceptance Of Torture Only Matched By Nigeria & Israel – Red Cross Poll by Nobody: 5:33pm On Dec 06, 2016
American acceptance of torture only matched by Nigeria & Israel – Red Cross poll
Published time: 6 Dec, 2016 13:48

© Reuters

A Red Cross poll has found that about half of American respondents believe that torture is a solution for extracting information. The US was matched only by Nigeria, Israel and Palestine.
The global ‘People on War’ poll that surveyed 17,000 people in 16 countries has revealed that indifference to torture has grown substantially since the late ’90s, especially where it concerns the five permanent UN Security Council members. By contrast, those living in war-torn countries like Afghanistan showed very little acceptance of such methods and a greater regard for international law.

According to the poll results, it appears that war crimes are now being looked at as simply a part of war – an attitude increasingly prevalent in the US, where just under half of all respondents (46 percent) support the use of torture. Only Thirty percent disagreed, with the remainder were undecided. The American shift in opinion was also by far the biggest the authors have seen: none of the other P5 members (Russia, China, France, the UK) came close in figures.

On average, one in three people in the US believed torture was “part of war.”

Together with the Afghans, the Yemenis showed the greatest aversion to torture with the record-breaking figure of 100 percent against. This is a country that has been in the grip of war for 50 years and now witnessing a resurgence in fighting since March 2015, with thousands of lives lost.

Globally, eight out of 10 people believe civilian casualties should be avoided as much as possible when going into enemy territory. The same number believe that targeting civilian infrastructure, such as hospitals and schools, is wrong.

At the turn of the millennium, in 1999, a sizeable 66 percent globally said torture was wrong.

ICRC spokesman Ewan Watson talked to DW to explain the alarming rise and the discrepancy in results, and the alarming rise in indifference is seen by him as an unsurprising development for our modern age.

“With all the images we receive from the world front lines via internet we, in countries not affected by war, have a distance to the reality of people's suffering,” he said.

The more concealed root of this shift are seen by Watson to originate in the so-called War on Terror, whose invasion of popular culture particularly desensitized people to the use of torture.

“If you look at films which show torture in action, this notion of the ticking time bomb, that you must torture somebody to reveal information that will stop something tragic happening. All that provides a kind of rational framework for torture to happen,” he added, recalling that multiple studies have testify to the technique’s ineffectiveness at obtaining information – instead breeding hatred and enemies.

Torture is internationally recognized as an illegal practice under the Geneva Conventions.

https://www.rt.com/news/369356-americans-torture-acceptance-poll/
Re: American Acceptance Of Torture Only Matched By Nigeria & Israel – Red Cross Poll by Nobody: 5:34pm On Dec 06, 2016
Wow!
Re: American Acceptance Of Torture Only Matched By Nigeria & Israel – Red Cross Poll by Nobody: 5:38pm On Dec 06, 2016
America and Israel, Nigeria and.........
Re: American Acceptance Of Torture Only Matched By Nigeria & Israel – Red Cross Poll by biggerj(m): 5:42pm On Dec 06, 2016
if sars catch u ba u go kno sey no bodi fit match 9ja wen it comes 2 torture. those guys sabi torture abeg
Re: American Acceptance Of Torture Only Matched By Nigeria & Israel – Red Cross Poll by Empiree: 5:54pm On Dec 06, 2016
Informative but not surprised.

Thanks for posting
Re: American Acceptance Of Torture Only Matched By Nigeria & Israel – Red Cross Poll by ShootToKill: 7:30pm On Dec 06, 2016
Of we know the wicked zoogerians that believe in torture, they are wicked yoruba muslims and hausas. They are the one praying to their miserable Allah and bloodletting pedophile mohammed that Activist Kanu be kept in prison despite being innocent.

These group of people deserve no pity whatsoever. That's why when I see them bleed too, I become happy.
Re: American Acceptance Of Torture Only Matched By Nigeria & Israel – Red Cross Poll by Empiree: 7:42pm On Dec 06, 2016
ShootToKill:
Of we know the wicked zoogerians that believe in torture, they are wicked yoruba muslims and hausas. They are the one praying to their miserable Allah and bloodletting pedophile mohammed that Activist Kanu be kept in prison despite being innocent.

These group of people deserve no pity whatsoever. That's why when I see them bleed too, I become happy.
You are obviously off topic out of hate and ignorance. There are muslims tortured as well in various Western countries. So get your hate off this thread. I am no supporter of torture but you Kanu threatening govt was treasonous case, Why didnt you advice him to keep his mouth shot before getting nabbed?
Re: American Acceptance Of Torture Only Matched By Nigeria & Israel – Red Cross Poll by ShootToKill: 9:26pm On Dec 06, 2016
Empiree:
You are obviously off topic out of hate and ignorance. There are muslims tortured as well in various Western countries. So get your hate off this thread. I am no supporter of torture but you Kanu threatening govt was treasonous case, Why didnt you advice him to keep his mouth shot before getting nabbed?

Close your odoriferous ewedugerian mouth, you should be one getting your 'shot'. Why didn't you champion the arrest of your dog-and-baboon master who was threatening heaven and hell should he lose the election? I guess your dullharry was preaching peace talking about blood of dogs and baboons.
To you his enslaved sycophants, I guess he has more right to threaten others than kanu does, because his marauding forefathers, conquered enslaved and kick our your coward amala-swallowing fathers from Illorin. So you give him more respect and fear him than Kanu's peaceful people. Get outta here!
Re: American Acceptance Of Torture Only Matched By Nigeria & Israel – Red Cross Poll by Empiree: 9:36pm On Dec 06, 2016
ShootToKill:

Close your odoriferous ewedugerian mouth, you should be one getting your 'shot'. Why didn't you champion the arrest of your dog-and-baboon master who was threatening heaven and hell should he lose the election? I guess your dullharry was preaching peace talking about blood of dogs and baboons.
To you his enslaved sycophants, I guess he has more right to threaten others than kanu does, because his marauding forefathers, conquered enslaved and kick our your coward amala-swallowing fathers from Illorin. So you give him more respect and fear him than Kanu's peaceful people. Get outta here!
Could you please STOP derailing this thread if you have nothing meaningful to say?. Thank You
Re: American Acceptance Of Torture Only Matched By Nigeria & Israel – Red Cross Poll by ShootToKill: 9:45pm On Dec 06, 2016
Empiree:
Could you please STOP derailing this thread if you have something meaningful to say?. Thank You

My friend get out of my face. You murderous zombies disgust me!

(1) (Reply)

TB Joshua's Prophecy On Trump Becoming Person Of The Year Comes TRUE (video) / Terrorist Rammed Truck Into Christmas Market In Berlin, Kills 9 / Congress Certifies Trump's Victory

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.