Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,012 members, 7,817,985 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:44 AM

The Misuse Of The Words 'ADVICE' And 'ADVISE'. - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Misuse Of The Words 'ADVICE' And 'ADVISE'. (25014 Views)

BREAKING: UI Students Caught For The Misuse Of University Equipment- VIDEO / Wrong Use Of The Words "Kid Sister" And "Kid Brother" / Misuse Of The Word Tout (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Misuse Of The Words 'ADVICE' And 'ADVISE'. by God2man(m): 8:48am On Dec 08, 2016
Later
Re: The Misuse Of The Words 'ADVICE' And 'ADVISE'. by ayesco202(m): 8:51am On Dec 08, 2016
engrjacuzzi:

please can you explain for others to learn.
I meant 'wear' in the first quote not 'worn'. I saw him wear the green T-shirt is preferably okay.
Re: The Misuse Of The Words 'ADVICE' And 'ADVISE'. by Orikinla(m): 8:53am On Dec 08, 2016
Advice is a noun.
Advise is the verb.

You give advice.
You advise someone.

Re: The Misuse Of The Words 'ADVICE' And 'ADVISE'. by Nobody: 8:54am On Dec 08, 2016
In lay man's term, ADVICE comes from the seeker while ADVISE comes from the giver.
Re: The Misuse Of The Words 'ADVICE' And 'ADVISE'. by sorepco(m): 9:01am On Dec 08, 2016
STUFFs?? That word doesnot exist...it is stuff. There is also nothing like staffs. It is staff even if it is plural.

Icecomrade:

Did you came yesterday?

I did not saw you in the party last night.

Anytime I hear stuffs like these, I wonder how the person managed to graduate FROM primary school

Re: The Misuse Of The Words 'ADVICE' And 'ADVISE'. by Izen: 9:03am On Dec 08, 2016
gsainttrinity:
please advice/advise me, Which food should should I eat to work that will minimize farting.
Beans and ekór Or Beans and yam.

thank you.

English is a borrowed language so permit me to make mistake

Advise is the correct one. That is because you want someone TO do that. It is an action word.

1 Like

Re: The Misuse Of The Words 'ADVICE' And 'ADVISE'. by johnsonjosbles(m): 9:07am On Dec 08, 2016
ayesco202:
Good day fellow nairalanders. Many a time I come across posts where these words 'advice' and 'advise' are used interchangeably . For instance, someone might want to say 'I need your advice' and we see something like 'I need your advise' which is wrong. 'Please advice me' instead of 'Please advise me'. Now the thing is, the word 'advice' is a noun and does not take 'to' modal auxiliaries such as will, would, may, can etc,. Has/have/had cannot also come before it, eg, my advice for you is this, work hard. NOT My advise for you is this, work hard. Advise is a verb which can admit 'to' and the auxiliary verbs above before it eg, I wish to advise you/I may advise you/I will advise you to... So advice seekers need to take note of these things so that we can as well, advise you. Peace. cool
thank u op, 9yrs after graduatn, i dnt knw this! i'm sure many prof dnt knw too
Re: The Misuse Of The Words 'ADVICE' And 'ADVISE'. by Paddy247: 9:11am On Dec 08, 2016
Icecomrade:

Did you came yesterday?

Anytime I hear stuffs like these, I wonder how the person managed to graduate FROM primary school

What about you. Did you even went to primary school?
Re: The Misuse Of The Words 'ADVICE' And 'ADVISE'. by adisaigbo1(m): 9:15am On Dec 08, 2016
comradespade:
am even more confused with what is written up there,
Cus me am not understanding

if u don't understand hit like if u understand click share
OLODO

Re: The Misuse Of The Words 'ADVICE' And 'ADVISE'. by petercole91(m): 9:22am On Dec 08, 2016
ayesco202:
Good day fellow nairalanders. Many a time I come across posts where these words 'advice' and 'advise' are used interchangeably . For instance, someone might want to say 'I need your advice' and we see something like 'I need your advise' which is wrong. 'Please advice me' instead of 'Please advise me'. Now the thing is, the word 'advice' is a noun and does not take 'to' modal auxiliaries such as will, would, may, can etc,. Has/have/had cannot also come before it, eg, my advice for you is this, work hard. NOT My advise for you is this, work hard. Advise is a verb which can admit 'to' and the auxiliary verbs above before it eg, I wish to advise you/I may advise you/I will advise you to... So advice seekers need to take note of these things so that we can as well, advise you. Peace. cool
Re: The Misuse Of The Words 'ADVICE' And 'ADVISE'. by emerem: 9:40am On Dec 08, 2016
Youngzedd:
English nawaa grin
the same thing goes to PRACTICE and PRACTISE, DEVISE and DEVICE. Check them out, they often make us seem stupid notminding our seemed flawless grammatical constructions.
Re: The Misuse Of The Words 'ADVICE' And 'ADVISE'. by justman911(m): 9:42am On Dec 08, 2016
MrBen10:
Whether 'advice' or 'advise', as far as the other person understand what am saying, then no problem. I cannot coman kill myself over english that is not even my mother tongue.

I am sorry to say, but I find no sense in this comment. If English is the official language of your country, there is no crime in learning it and learning it well. Wenger is a polyglot, fluent in about 4 international languages and that is a sure plus for him. All I am saying: CHALLENGE YOURSELF.

1 Like

Re: The Misuse Of The Words 'ADVICE' And 'ADVISE'. by Nobody: 9:45am On Dec 08, 2016
adisaigbo1:
OLODO

can u please Analyze the word olodo for me cus am still not understanding.
grin grin

Re: The Misuse Of The Words 'ADVICE' And 'ADVISE'. by Troubleking: 9:46am On Dec 08, 2016
engrjacuzzi:
the worst is that not all our English graduates know this....please, let me ask which of the two statements is correct

" i have seen you wear the green T-shirt before" or "I have seen you worn the green T-shirt before".
'wear' is correct.
Re: The Misuse Of The Words 'ADVICE' And 'ADVISE'. by modsRbastard: 10:05am On Dec 08, 2016
ayesco202:

I tell people, English is way harder than Mathematics. But, I will take English seriously when someone can explain this ==>

1 Like

Re: The Misuse Of The Words 'ADVICE' And 'ADVISE'. by specco(m): 10:22am On Dec 08, 2016
MrBen10:
Whether 'advice' or 'advise', as far as the other person understand what am saying, then no problem. I cannot coman kill myself over english that is not even my mother tongue.
Even that your mother tongue I bet you cant speak well.
Re: The Misuse Of The Words 'ADVICE' And 'ADVISE'. by mrblessed(m): 10:24am On Dec 08, 2016
Icecomrade:

Did you came yesterday?

There is no word like stuffs in the English language. The addition of 's' to stuff is a rib-tickling blooper, and it is non-standard usage. Stuff is uncountable noun and has no plural form. Now, is your primary school education a suspect?
Re: The Misuse Of The Words 'ADVICE' And 'ADVISE'. by Drinkspub: 11:24am On Dec 08, 2016
Drinkspub Nigeria we focus on drinks provision for all occasions; our broad range of drinks comprises both alcohol and soft drinks.
please follow us on twitter @Drinkspubng
instagram @Drinkspubng
shop on our site also for affordable drinks prices at www.drinkspub.com.ng

Re: The Misuse Of The Words 'ADVICE' And 'ADVISE'. by toluine56(m): 11:31am On Dec 08, 2016
lonelydora:
Many peoOLple don't know it
as a CGI
Re: The Misuse Of The Words 'ADVICE' And 'ADVISE'. by Originalsly: 11:48am On Dec 08, 2016
comradespade:
am even more confused with what is written up there,
Cus me am not understanding

if u don't understand hit like if u understand click share
I hear you! ... this may help. Use advice the same way you would use information... and use advise the same way you would use inform/informing. This information advice I am giving you I hope you would use it to inform advise others who really need information advice on the correct use of advice and advise. Was my (advice/advise ) helpful? If yes, would you be (advising/advicing) others? If it weren't helpful... what would you (advise/advice)me to do? Or do you think I should just shut up and keep my (advice/advise) to myself? Please... (advice/advise) me. @op... invaluable topic!
Re: The Misuse Of The Words 'ADVICE' And 'ADVISE'. by ylaa(f): 11:54am On Dec 08, 2016
Nice one sir
Well done

uote author=ayesco202 post=51714401]Good day fellow nairalanders. Many a time I come across posts where these words 'advice' and 'advise' are used interchangeably . For instance, someone might want to say 'I need your advice' and we see something like 'I need your advise' which is wrong. 'Please advice me' instead of 'Please advise me'. Now the thing is, the word 'advice' is a noun and does not take 'to' modal auxiliaries such as will, would, may, can etc,. Has/have/had cannot also come before it, eg, my advice for you is this, work hard. NOT My advise for you is this, work hard. Advise is a verb which can admit 'to' and the auxiliary verbs above before it eg, I wish to advise you/I may advise you/I will advise you to... So advice seekers need to take note of these things so that we can as well, advise you. Peace. cool[/quote]
Re: The Misuse Of The Words 'ADVICE' And 'ADVISE'. by iyke484real(m): 12:02pm On Dec 08, 2016
All na thesame thing jor.. Y all this Unnecessary confussion. ..english y?
Re: The Misuse Of The Words 'ADVICE' And 'ADVISE'. by Originalsly: 12:03pm On Dec 08, 2016
MrBen10:
Hmmm....that's true... if writing English does not help you in life.... nor would help your younger siblings ... nor would help your children... nor grandchildren. You are not alone. Then we wonder why other people get hired and we don't.
Re: The Misuse Of The Words 'ADVICE' And 'ADVISE'. by VickyRotex(f): 2:21pm On Dec 08, 2016
ayesco202:
Thanks ma'am. The type of phone I use is nothing to write home about. undecided

Eyah. It's well. My brother, God will provide. Do you have a laptop or have access to one at home?

1 Like

Re: The Misuse Of The Words 'ADVICE' And 'ADVISE'. by veronicababy: 2:43pm On Dec 08, 2016
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: The Misuse Of The Words 'ADVICE' And 'ADVISE'. by ayesco202(m): 6:53pm On Dec 08, 2016
VickyRotex:

Eyah. It's well. My brother, God will provide. Do you have a laptop or have access to one at home?
Amen. No I don't. Why did you ask?
Re: The Misuse Of The Words 'ADVICE' And 'ADVISE'. by VickyRotex(f): 11:53pm On Dec 08, 2016
ayesco202:
Amen. No I don't. Why did you ask?

Will send you an email.
Re: The Misuse Of The Words 'ADVICE' And 'ADVISE'. by Segzy23: 8:26am On Dec 09, 2016
Prechy08:
Nice one op, just when i hear people even OAP's says "THE REASON WHY " e.g the reason why he did that, or the reason why the government did....... Its either the reason or why, this two word mean same thing and cant go together in a sentence.

I am afraid you are wrong. Reason why is correct. Although in most cases if not all, "why" is redundant after "reason". However, if used together, it is still correct.

e.g.
That is why I bought five cans
That is the reason I bought five cans
That is the reason why I bought five cans.

All the above are correct. So you might ask, why is it necessary to include the redundant "why". Sometimes it helps in speech to improve the flow of speaking/writing
Re: The Misuse Of The Words 'ADVICE' And 'ADVISE'. by Themandator: 9:16am On Dec 09, 2016
gsainttrinity:
please advice/advise me, Which food should should I eat to work that will minimize farting.
Beans and ekór Or Beans and yam.

thank you.

English is a borrowed language so permit me to make mistake

Advise ...just kuku say tell me ,which food I go let this morning before I enter jab side
Re: The Misuse Of The Words 'ADVICE' And 'ADVISE'. by ayesco202(m): 5:56pm On Dec 09, 2016
VickyRotex:

Will send you an email.
All right
Re: The Misuse Of The Words 'ADVICE' And 'ADVISE'. by VickyRotex(f): 10:54pm On Dec 09, 2016
ayesco202:
All right

Sent yesterday! Did you receive it?
Re: The Misuse Of The Words 'ADVICE' And 'ADVISE'. by ayesco202(m): 11:08pm On Dec 09, 2016
VickyRotex:

Sent yesterday! Did you receive it?
Yes I did. Had been busy. I'm yet to log in to my email. I'm going to reply you as soon as I check. Thanks a lot.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

I Feel Ashamed Nigerian Professors Earn Less Than $1000 A Month - TETFund Boss / Anambra Takes First Position In Schools Debate / University Student Praying On Roof Before Exam (pix)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.