Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,673 members, 7,820,362 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:38 PM

Reps To Buhari: Suspend Ban On Importation Of Cars Through Land Borders. - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Reps To Buhari: Suspend Ban On Importation Of Cars Through Land Borders. (20638 Views)

Buhari Suspend Chief Of Staff; DSS Chief Daura Resign / Senate Stops Ban On Importation Of ‘Tokunbo’ Vehicles Through land / Buhari Bans Importation Of Vehicles Through Land Borders,Nigerians React(Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reps To Buhari: Suspend Ban On Importation Of Cars Through Land Borders. by bashydemy(m): 3:09am On Dec 10, 2016
lifezone247:
why contradicting yourself in this comment bolder above? Is it the case in Nigeria?

Then maybe you don't get me, I said in benin we clear cars same price no matter the year of the car.. So if FG did the same in nigeria then we aew good to go..
Re: Reps To Buhari: Suspend Ban On Importation Of Cars Through Land Borders. by LasgidyPort: 3:55am On Dec 10, 2016
bashydemy:

Then maybe you don't get me, I said in benin we clear cars same price no matter the year of the car.. So if FG did the same in nigeria then we aew good to go..

That will not work abeg. People who buy luxury vehicles must pay more. It doesn't make much sense if I buy small 2002 Corolla and you want me me to pay same tax with someone that buys 2014 Landcriuser SUV.

To put your suggestion in proper perspectives, in the current regime the 2002 corolla may be having a total cost of clearing of about 400k while the Landcriuser may be like 2m or more. So you can see advocating they pay same fee will not be fair on folks buying smaller cars.

People are calling for luxury tax to make rich folks pay more, but you are inadvertently requesting for them to pay less.

What we just need is to reduce the complexity of clearing goods at the port and make the process very simple and open through the use of technology.

We also need to expand the capacity of our ports and reduce the over concentration on Lagos ports. Other ports need to be made viable.

1 Like

Re: Reps To Buhari: Suspend Ban On Importation Of Cars Through Land Borders. by HiliaryAutos(m): 4:23am On Dec 10, 2016
God keep me alive this meat seller called Buhari will never be the president of Nigeria not to talk of President of anything again in Nigeria... He want to kill the messes in Nigeria just for the benefit of Northern. We go die because of you, hunger everywhere , high price of fuel, no security, youth becoming armed robbers and girls turning into prostitution.

God help me and this my beloved nation Nigeria
Re: Reps To Buhari: Suspend Ban On Importation Of Cars Through Land Borders. by Blue3k(m): 4:49am On Dec 10, 2016
HiliaryAutos:
God keep me alive this meat seller called Buhari will never be the president of Nigeria not to talk of President of anything again in Nigeria... He want to kill the messes in Nigeria just for the benefit of Northern. We go die because of you, hunger everywhere , high price of fuel, no security, youth becoming armed robbers and girls turning into prostitution.

God help me and this my beloved nation Nigeria

Thats a bit dramatic. Are you sure he's just not hurting your business making it more expensive. I'm guess worst that will happen is reduction in demand due to price increase. The people don't seem to take that in to account when salivating over tax revenue.

The main issues about why other ports are preferred isn't solved. The lagos port is more expensive and clearing times longer as importers complained.
Re: Reps To Buhari: Suspend Ban On Importation Of Cars Through Land Borders. by bashydemy(m): 7:59am On Dec 10, 2016
LasgidyPort:

That will not work abeg. People who buy luxury vehicles must pay more. It doesn't make much sense if I buy small 2002 Corolla and you want me me to pay same tax with someone that buys 2014 Landcriuser SUV.

To put your suggestion in proper perspectives, in the current regime the 2002 corolla may be having a total cost of clearing of about 400k while the Landcriuser may be like 2m or more. So you can see advocating they pay same fee will not be fair on folks buying smaller cars.

People are calling for luxury tax to make rich folks pay more, but you are inadvertently requesting for them to pay less.

What we just need is to reduce the complexity of clearing goods at the port and make the process very simple and open through the use of technology.

We also need to expand the capacity of our ports and reduce the over concentration on Lagos ports. Other ports need to be made viable.

In Benin here that's how it used to be in the past, The higher of the year of the car the higher money you pay in clearing it and mind you that gives the Benin custom access to rip the buyers.

They just give you price and nothing you can do, Some will charge you 700k cfa and pay like 350k to govt and pocket the rest..

But when Govt change and maintain same price for all cars so it block the free access of taking advantage of the buyers...
Re: Reps To Buhari: Suspend Ban On Importation Of Cars Through Land Borders. by MeAboki(m): 9:41am On Dec 10, 2016
ngolokante:
But Nigerians what do we really want sef? I see a lot of people shouting dat this policy is not good for business, yet the same people shout that the government is not supporting Innoson...How on earth do you expect IVM to grow when it is competing with Toyota, Honda and the rest foreign car makers?It's not even as if IVM is competing against brand new cars but second handed ones...This policy serves 2 purposes, it helps IVM and any other local car maker grow and it can also force the foreign manufacturers to come and open their plants in Nigeria...Imagine we are one of the largest markets for Toyota and Honda globally, yet there is not a single assembly plant in Nigeria, yet Mitsubshi has a plant in Egypt and BMW has one in South Africa...common people

You are very correct; unfortunately those criticising are only doing so driven by their blind hatred of the current Oga at the top; but not based on common sense and logic.

They won't see the current scenario of importing vehicles through Cotonou etc, without paying the appropriated tariff as tantamount to smuggling and therefore economic sabotage by depriving the same govt they are criticising from much needed revenue to effectively address some of those civic responsibilities it is failing to do for want of revenue.

Nigerians are therefore part of the problem and not the solution for which they are blaming their own government.

Admittedly, it is a bitter medicine to swallow but a medicine that eventually must be swallowed if we are to help and protect our own industries - just like how we were forced to accept the removal of fuel subsidy after suffering the harsh reality of scarcity.

1 Like

Re: Reps To Buhari: Suspend Ban On Importation Of Cars Through Land Borders. by Nobody: 10:38am On Dec 10, 2016
MrEverest:
Sorry bro, I live on far above $2 a day as a bachelor, does that mean I belong to the elite 20% Sh!t, Nigeria is a nation of destitutes if that statistics is correct!

During GEJ regime what was the percentage?
Re: Reps To Buhari: Suspend Ban On Importation Of Cars Through Land Borders. by Nobody: 10:40am On Dec 10, 2016
LaClicKLaBenDin:

Please leave out the dollar thingy: I currently live on less than #50 a day... I mean 50 naira.

Bro I no believe you ooo
Re: Reps To Buhari: Suspend Ban On Importation Of Cars Through Land Borders. by ngolokante(m): 12:57pm On Dec 10, 2016
MeAboki:

You are very correct; unfortunately those criticising are only doing so driven by their blind hatred of the current Oga at the top; but not based on common sense and logic.

They won't see the current scenario of importing vehicles through Cotonou etc, without paying the appropriated tariff as tantamount to smuggling and therefore economic sabotage by depriving the same govt they are criticising from much needed revenue to effectively address some of those civic responsibilities it is failing to do for want of revenue.

Nigerians are therefore part of the problem and not the solution for which they are blaming their own government.

Admittedly, it is a bitter medicine to swallow but a medicine that eventually must be swallowed if we are to help and protect our own industries - just like how we were forced to accept the removal of fuel subsidy after suffering the harsh reality of scarcity.

God bless you sir... You just said it all..
Nigerians are therefore part of the problem and not the solution for which they are blaming their own government.... Very well said
Re: Reps To Buhari: Suspend Ban On Importation Of Cars Through Land Borders. by LaClicKLaBenDin(m): 2:04pm On Dec 10, 2016
soulpeppersoup:

Bro I no believe you ooo

Na truth I dey tell o... except you want help me with soul pepper soup grin
Re: Reps To Buhari: Suspend Ban On Importation Of Cars Through Land Borders. by MeAboki(m): 2:12pm On Dec 10, 2016
ngolokante:

God bless you sir... You just said it all..
Nigerians are therefore part of the problem and not the solution for which they are blaming their own government.... Very well said

Yes indeed, we shall continue to be part of the problem until we start telling ourselves the truth and accepting our individual and collective responsibilities for our own actions.
In fact, this cartoon below surmise our present attitude: we want change but do not want to change.

1 Like

Re: Reps To Buhari: Suspend Ban On Importation Of Cars Through Land Borders. by Nobody: 5:08pm On Dec 10, 2016
LaClicKLaBenDin:

Na truth I dey tell o... except you want help me with soul pepper soup grin

Lol! God go provide for you bro.
Re: Reps To Buhari: Suspend Ban On Importation Of Cars Through Land Borders. by LaClicKLaBenDin(m): 5:42pm On Dec 10, 2016
soulpeppersoup:

Lol! God go provide for you bro.

Amen!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

PDP Sends Delegates To DSS Over Arrest Of Senator Abaribe, Suswam / I’m The Only Candidate That Can Defeat APC –atiku / 2019: Kwara Braces For Landmark Elections As Saraki Fights For Political Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.