Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,895 members, 7,817,636 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:02 PM

FG Advises Nigerians To Brace For Telecom Data Price Increase - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / FG Advises Nigerians To Brace For Telecom Data Price Increase (22978 Views)

FG approves Tax Reduction For Telecom Firms / Minister Advises Nigerians To Brace For Telecom Data Price Increase / NCC Suspends Data Price Increase (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG Advises Nigerians To Brace For Telecom Data Price Increase by ceomike(m): 8:23am On Dec 09, 2016
Adebayo Shittu, communications Minister has asked Nigerians to brace for a price rise while making a case for telecom service providers, which according to the minister were operating under unfriendly business environment including lack of electricity and increasing security challenges.

But the Nigeria Communications Commission (NCC) said it intervened with an interim price floor for data services to avert a looming price war in the telecommunications sector.

The regulatory commission said it feared that the price war could eventually lead to a monopoly in the telecom industry that would force small operators to shut down.

It said that monopoly in the telecom sector could also push the country back to the days of NITEL – the troubled government-owned telco – to the detriment of small operators.
Prof. Umar Dambatta, NCC executive vice chairman stated this when he appeared before the Senate Committee on Communications.’

The committee was mandated to investigate the proposed data tariff hike said to have been ordered by the NCC.

But the minister, said the reality was that telecom service providers are operating in an unfriendly business environment, including lack of electricity and increasing security challenges.

He said: “This is one area that I believe that we all must face the reality… If you look at the NCC law, it is positioned to reflect experiences, expertise and all of that and I want to believe that there must not be too many interventions in the activities of the NCC.

“I am a political office holder. I am not an expert, so I cannot venture to say whether they did wrong or right, except they say that the constitution has granted them the role of a supervisor of a direct regulatory authorities, particularly relating to the activities in the telecoms industry.

“The only area I feel they were deficient was in the area of communicating with the people of this country, particularly because of the sensitivity that has been imposed on Nigerians by the harsh economic situation.

“I know that if you want to make omelet you must break eggs. Unfortunately in this country, we fail to appreciate the transformation role that ICT has brought about in the lives of Nigerians.

“So, I am not supporting at this stage or not supporting the price increase with regards to the floor. But what I am saying is, these are technical issues whose decision must be taken having regard to all the factors that are important before a decision can be taken.

http://guardian.ng/technology/fg-advises-nigerians-to-brace-for-telecom-data-price-increase/

1 Like

Re: FG Advises Nigerians To Brace For Telecom Data Price Increase by Atiku2019: 8:30am On Dec 09, 2016
The Worst President In Africa....... cry cry cry cry

177 Likes 14 Shares

Re: FG Advises Nigerians To Brace For Telecom Data Price Increase by sirfee(m): 8:32am On Dec 09, 2016
This minister must be high on something,I don't know if it is Oshogbo weed or Kenyan sk.

61 Likes 4 Shares

Re: FG Advises Nigerians To Brace For Telecom Data Price Increase by Jafar1: 8:35am On Dec 09, 2016
BOTH BUHARI AND NCC ARE USELESS, THE WORST PRESIDENT EVER, THE ONLY PRESIDENT WHO CARE MORE FOR COWS THAN HE CARES FOR HIS PEOPLE

130 Likes 6 Shares

Re: FG Advises Nigerians To Brace For Telecom Data Price Increase by BeeBeeOoh(m): 8:51am On Dec 09, 2016
I wonder if this administration has the interest of the masses at heart. Nawa oh

89 Likes 5 Shares

Re: FG Advises Nigerians To Brace For Telecom Data Price Increase by sanandreas(m): 10:12am On Dec 09, 2016
Why are they bent on increasing data price? It is not by force to browse. We would pack our phones. Companies would record loss at the end of the day.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Advises Nigerians To Brace For Telecom Data Price Increase by Nobody: 10:24am On Dec 09, 2016
lkk
Re: FG Advises Nigerians To Brace For Telecom Data Price Increase by TonyeBarcanista(m): 10:25am On Dec 09, 2016
The Buhari government must not test the patience and determination of Nigerians. An increase in data tariff is a declaration of WAR against citizens of Nigeria. We shall fight till the end.

75 Likes 3 Shares

Re: FG Advises Nigerians To Brace For Telecom Data Price Increase by 9jayes: 10:25am On Dec 09, 2016
I'M regretting it now cos I voted for this dullard called Buhari, anyway once beaten twice shy. It took him six good months to produced another dullard (ADEBAYO SHITTU).

76 Likes 3 Shares

Re: FG Advises Nigerians To Brace For Telecom Data Price Increase by 9jayes: 10:25am On Dec 09, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:
Your president na mumu wallahi

3 Likes

Re: FG Advises Nigerians To Brace For Telecom Data Price Increase by ammyluv2002(f): 10:25am On Dec 09, 2016
OMG! We're officially in hot soup shocked shocked shocked

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Advises Nigerians To Brace For Telecom Data Price Increase by 3rdavefarms(m): 10:25am On Dec 09, 2016
God why us

1 Like

Re: FG Advises Nigerians To Brace For Telecom Data Price Increase by candidbabe(f): 10:26am On Dec 09, 2016
Naija which way
Re: FG Advises Nigerians To Brace For Telecom Data Price Increase by Gozzzy(m): 10:26am On Dec 09, 2016
this man is becoming far worse than abacha.... o Lord, please do the needful and save your people!!!!

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Advises Nigerians To Brace For Telecom Data Price Increase by TonyeBarcanista(m): 10:26am On Dec 09, 2016
9jayes:
Why you de book space ontop my land? angry
Re: FG Advises Nigerians To Brace For Telecom Data Price Increase by RHEWBENYT(m): 10:26am On Dec 09, 2016
embarassed
Re: FG Advises Nigerians To Brace For Telecom Data Price Increase by Obadiah77(m): 10:26am On Dec 09, 2016
B
Re: FG Advises Nigerians To Brace For Telecom Data Price Increase by Nobody: 10:27am On Dec 09, 2016
cry cry cry

1 Like

Re: FG Advises Nigerians To Brace For Telecom Data Price Increase by yanabasee(m): 10:27am On Dec 09, 2016
The FG have now connived with NCC to extort money from the masses... what a joke....

We need a president ASAP.... As it stands now... Nigeria is without a president....

3 Likes

Re: FG Advises Nigerians To Brace For Telecom Data Price Increase by theSpark(m): 10:27am On Dec 09, 2016
No!
The battle line has been drawn then

4 Likes

Re: FG Advises Nigerians To Brace For Telecom Data Price Increase by mysteriousman(m): 10:27am On Dec 09, 2016
Na wa o, I'm speechless

1 Like

Re: FG Advises Nigerians To Brace For Telecom Data Price Increase by bignero: 10:27am On Dec 09, 2016
muhamed buhari is really a tyrant....i dont insult people but actually he is...he knows hes a failure and the masses have gathered against him...however he knows we live in a global village these days and all his failures and mishaps are online for the full glare for public consumption.

hes a weak man ...constantly being isolated and because he knows the power of the media, hence this wicked and callous decision...dont quote me and say is he the ncc chairman?...its the voice of buhari and the hand of ncc.

for those in the know...who recall the ARAB SPRING...we know the power that social media played in the revolution in that part of the world...for those who dont know...social media was the biggest weapon of the for the over throw of the oppressive governments of the then middle east states....especially in Egypt...if you doubt this just ask google...and we can see buhari is fighting vehemently this socia media because it would be his greatest opposition, to his continuous oppression and bad government. and to the youths and well meaning Nigerians, if we allow this to stand...we have no right to life then, because we are slaves...

rubbish minister..even an ss3 students knows that comp[etion is the best way to bring out the best in all things and for the customer...thieves, God will reward all of you and your families now and forever

39 Likes 6 Shares

Re: FG Advises Nigerians To Brace For Telecom Data Price Increase by sylviaeo(f): 10:27am On Dec 09, 2016
HERE COMES THE ERA OF CHEATS

8 Likes

Re: FG Advises Nigerians To Brace For Telecom Data Price Increase by Gozzzy(m): 10:27am On Dec 09, 2016
EURObiz2017:
Cheek my signature & make cool m0ne¥ with us in €ur0 & U$D
"cheek" your signature dear lawd!!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: FG Advises Nigerians To Brace For Telecom Data Price Increase by unite4real: 10:27am On Dec 09, 2016
Nigerians advise FG to brace up for Resistance over planned data price increase

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Advises Nigerians To Brace For Telecom Data Price Increase by MARKone(m): 10:27am On Dec 09, 2016
Adebayo Shittu, a lawyer in charge of the communication ministry, talk about square peg in a round hole, who also is a Muslim fundamentalist, left alone Buhari and his medivial goons, will ban Nigerians from accessing the Internet.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Advises Nigerians To Brace For Telecom Data Price Increase by goshen26: 10:27am On Dec 09, 2016
Smh
Re: FG Advises Nigerians To Brace For Telecom Data Price Increase by mccoy47(m): 10:28am On Dec 09, 2016
Shameless party! angry

2 Likes

Re: FG Advises Nigerians To Brace For Telecom Data Price Increase by inme: 10:28am On Dec 09, 2016
Ok

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ask Me Any Question About Your Phone Problems. Get Instant Help For Free / Has Whatsapp Finally Disconnected Blackberry From Its Platform? / Youtube Go App Officially Launched In Nigeria To Help You Save Data.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.