Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,010 members, 7,817,977 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:08 AM

Another King Sacked In Ondo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Another King Sacked In Ondo (2376 Views)

IGP Arase, Obi, Ahmed, Others May Be Sacked- Daily Trust / Jonathan’s Refusal To Raise PDP Flag Cause Uproar In Ondo State / APC Presidential Rally In Ondo (Live Updates) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Another King Sacked In Ondo by AloyEmeka6: 6:22pm On Nov 12, 2009
Another king sacked in Ondo
From TUNDE RAHEEM, Akure

Thursday, November 12, 2009
For the second time in a week, Ondo State is witnessing the sack of another king.

http://odili.net/news/source/2009/nov/12/511.html

The latest victim of dethronement is the Olupele of Ipele in the Owo Local Government Area, Oba Abel Alade.

The dethronment of Oba Alade came six days after the Deji of Akure, Oba Adesina Oluwadare Adepoju, was removed from office by the kingmakers.

As was the case with the Deji, the Olupele too had his reign terminated by the kingmakers and council of chiefs.

Daily Sun gathered that the Olupele was removed over his alleged high-handedness, gross misconduct and the use of thugs to harass the citizens of the town.

It was further learnt that the deposition was effected by six of the eight kingmakers and entire 16 members of the Oba-in-council.

But the State Government has described the removal of the monarch as a ruse, directing the kingmakers to reverse the order with immediate effect. The State Commissioner for Information, Mr. Ranti Akerele, said the state governor, Dr. Olusegun Mimiko, had ordered the kingmakers to rescind their decision.

He said the law enforcement agencies had been directed to ensure that peace reigned in the community.

However, the kingmakers in a statement signed by their Secretary, Gabriel Olagokun, alleged that the town had not known peace since the installation of Alade in 2007.

They also alleged that the monarch did not perform the traditional rites, adding that the Council of Chiefs had begun a process to select a replacement for the deposed monarch.

Meanwhile, Governor Mimiko has waded into the crisis between the Deji of Akure and the traditional kingmakers. He had held a meeting which had in attendance all the 17 traditional kingmakers in Akureland.

The meeting, which was called at the instance of the Governor, was attended by the Prime Minister of Akure, High Chief Folorunsho David, and other notable chiefs.

Mimiko, at the meeting, appealed to the traditional kingmakers to sheathe the sword and allow peace to reign in the town. He pointed out that the action of the kingmakers was not in consonance with the laid down procedure of deposing a monarch and pleaded with the traditional chiefs to allow the status quo to remain, so that the town could move forward.

The State Commissioner for Information, who briefed journalists on the outcome of the meeting, said only government had the power to appoint and depose a monarch.

He said, “The Governor has appealed to all the two camps to allow peace to reign. It is only in an atmosphere of peace that there can be progress. When there is crisis, there will be no development.

“The process of peace has begun in the state. The parties have been encouraged to sheathe their sword. The Governor is interested in one indivisible Akure. Government made it clear to the chiefs that they have no right to depose the monarch.”

According to him, the Governor had started a process of mediation and reconciliation of the chiefs with the Deji, adding that the chiefs had agreed to sheathe their sword.

He said, “What was agreed at the meeting is that the status quo remains. The Deji is still the Deji and the traditional chiefs are still in their offices. There is a process of removing an Oba. It is the government that appoints and removes an Oba.”
Re: Another King Sacked In Ondo by AloyEmeka6: 6:45pm On Nov 12, 2009
Is it appropriate for the governor to depose a king who was chosen by his people?
Re: Another King Sacked In Ondo by jona2: 6:46pm On Nov 12, 2009
this poster is obsessed with south west. grin
Re: Another King Sacked In Ondo by Nchara: 7:14pm On Nov 12, 2009
And you Jona are obssesed with the south east.
Re: Another King Sacked In Ondo by Kobojunkie: 7:28pm On Nov 12, 2009

The latest victim of dethronement is the Olupele of Ipele in the Owo Local Government Area, Oba Abel Alade.

The dethronment of Oba Alade came six days after the Deji of Akure, Oba Adesina Oluwadare Adepoju, was removed from office by the kingmakers.

As was the case with the Deji, the Olupele too had his reign terminated by the kingmakers and council of chiefs.

Daily Sun gathered that the Olupele was removed over his alleged high-handedness, gross misconduct and the use of thugs to harass the citizens of the town.

It was further learnt that the deposition was effected by six of the eight kingmakers and entire 16 members of the Oba-in-council.

But the State Government has described the removal of the monarch as a ruse, directing the kingmakers to reverse the order with immediate effect. The State Commissioner for Information, Mr. Ranti Akerele, said the state governor, Dr. Olusegun Mimiko, had ordered the kingmakers to rescind their decision.

This is the kingmakers in action here. Not sure why the SUDDEN switch.
Re: Another King Sacked In Ondo by SapeleGuy: 8:42pm On Nov 12, 2009
"The State Commissioner for Information, who briefed journalists on the outcome of the meeting, said only government had the power to appoint and depose a monarch."

What type of monarchs are these? Are these kings genuine or warrant chiefs originally created by the colonial administrators ?
Re: Another King Sacked In Ondo by AloyEmeka6: 12:49am On Nov 13, 2009
SapeleGuy:

"The State Commissioner for Information, who briefed journalists on the outcome of the meeting, said only government had the power to appoint and depose a monarch."

What type of monarchs are these? Are these kings genuine or warrant chiefs originally created by the colonial administrators ?

You remember Abacha and IBB dethroned the sultan of Sokoto?. Government has power to do such things especially when crisis looms.
Re: Another King Sacked In Ondo by Nobody: 7:59am On Nov 13, 2009
And they said the Greeks brought us democracy? This is an African traditional government we are talking about oooo. They can dethrone kings? I find my self seeing things not the way they are presented lately (I promise not to smoke skunk again),  Geez!! Makes me so proud of my heritage. Whatever the motive for dethroning a king might be among the king makers, I'm sure if it's not traditional they won't do it. So if dethroning a king is traditional and we've seen market women and farmers protesting against a king before in Nigeria, then our traditional government is democratic in nature. More reason to smoke weed while thinking of Africa!!!!!

Anyone know how to force a sleep? I've been studying all day and not really active and tired enough to crash. I've tried weed but I just think more and more with eyes closed. It's 3am here and I'm searching for sleep.

(1) (Reply)

Rumour: David Mark Is Dead / Nat'l Assembly Palaver: Speaker Finally Gains Access Into House / Buhari's Loss Will Be Victory For Nigeria Democracy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.