Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,767 members, 7,817,117 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:20 AM

Breaking News: Gambian President Annuls Results Of Election He Earlier Conceded - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Breaking News: Gambian President Annuls Results Of Election He Earlier Conceded (525 Views)

Kenya Election 2017: Supreme Court Annuls Kenyatta Re-election / Photos From The Swearing In Ceremony Of Adama Barrow As Gambian President / Adama Barrow Sworn In As The Gambian President (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Breaking News: Gambian President Annuls Results Of Election He Earlier Conceded by jiorhemen(m): 12:34pm On Dec 10, 2016
The President of Gambia, Yahya Jammeh has retracted concession - a week after conceding defeat. President Jammeh, who has ruled Gambia with an iron grip since seizing power in a 1994 military coup, suffered a shocking loss on December 2, after running for his fifth term in office. Jammeh had earlier accepted defeat and congratulated Adama Barrow on his victory in an address broadcast by Gambian state television. But he now totally rejects the results and has annuled them.

"I announce to you, Gambians, my total rejection of the election results and thereby annulling the elections in its entirety," he said in a televised speech Friday. "We will go back to the polls because I want to make sure that every Gambian has voted under an independent electoral commission that is independent, neutral and free from foreign influence."

Jammeh had been expected to concede power to his opponent Adama Barrow, with the country's electoral commission announcing last week that the president would do so.

Source: CNN
Re: Breaking News: Gambian President Annuls Results Of Election He Earlier Conceded by Nobody: 12:38pm On Dec 10, 2016
Gambian "June 12" loading.
Re: Breaking News: Gambian President Annuls Results Of Election He Earlier Conceded by dingbang(m): 12:39pm On Dec 10, 2016
Buhari will annul 2019 presidential elections, watch and see grin
Re: Breaking News: Gambian President Annuls Results Of Election He Earlier Conceded by sleepyeyez(m): 12:39pm On Dec 10, 2016
jiorhemen:
The President of Gambia, Yahya Jammeh has retracted concession - a week after conceding defeat. President Jammeh, who has ruled Gambia with an iron grip since seizing power in a 1994 military coup, suffered a shocking loss on December 2, after running for his fifth term in office. Jammeh had earlier accepted defeat and congratulated Adama Barrow on his victory in an address broadcast by Gambian state television. But he now totally rejects the results and has annuled them.

"I announce to you, Gambians, my total rejection of the election results and thereby annulling the elections in its entirety," he said in a televised speech Friday. "We will go back to the polls because I want to make sure that every Gambian has voted under an independent electoral commission that is independent, neutral and free from foreign influence."

Jammeh had been expected to concede power to his opponent Adama Barrow, with the country's electoral commission announcing last week that the president would do so.

Source: CNN

Lo. Wery manl
Re: Breaking News: Gambian President Annuls Results Of Election He Earlier Conceded by hoodmenconcept(m): 12:42pm On Dec 10, 2016
Re: Breaking News: Gambian President Annuls Results Of Election He Earlier Conceded by walemoney007(m): 10:38pm On Dec 10, 2016
dingbang:
Buhari will annul 2019 presidential elections, watch and see grin
when buhari is defeated in the 2019 presidential election and he fails to accept defeat,he will only have the northern part of Nigeria to rule.

(1) (Reply)

Jammeh Must Go When Term Ends – UN / What's Wrong With Australia? / Putin Congratulates Trump, Not Obama, In New Year's Statement

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.