Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,712 members, 7,865,815 topics. Date: Thursday, 20 June 2024 at 06:35 AM

Does My Dog Know He Is A Dog? - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Does My Dog Know He Is A Dog? (601 Views)

Have You Been Chased By A Dog Before? Share Your Experience. / How Do I Make My Dog To Be Aggressive? Please Help. / My Dog May Die Soon From A Snake Poison, Please Help (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Does My Dog Know He Is A Dog? by BizLifeE: 1:28am On Dec 12, 2016
No.

Sorry to disappoint all the answers that say yes, then proceed to comically describe how their dog views the world.

An animal knowing what it is is called self-awareness.

Humans are self-aware because we know we are humans.

One test of this is to put a mirror in front of the animal and watch how they respond. A human will see the image in the mirror and know that the image is them. Dolphins have been known to use a mirror to get something off their back, implying that they are self-aware. Basically, the mirror self-recognition test is a positive test for self-awareness.

Dogs do not display any kind of behavior that would suggest they are self-aware; in fact, they show the complete opposite, thinking the dog in the mirror is a different dog, and they’ll start barking and growling at it.

Some even go as far to say that since the dog lacks the ability to recognize itself in the mirror, it lacks a level of intelligence required in order for it to think of itself as an individual and unique being. I think that’s a bit excessive.

Source: https://www.quora.com/Does-my-dog-know-he-is-a-dog

Neteller here: www..com.ng

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Female Caucasian Dog 4 Sale / Male Caucasian Shepherd Available For Stud Service / Both Sex Massive And Stunning Caucasian Puppies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.