Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,527 members, 7,819,897 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:53 AM

Does Nigerian Law Prohibits Citizens Taking Pictures Of An Accident Scene? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Does Nigerian Law Prohibits Citizens Taking Pictures Of An Accident Scene? (1637 Views)

VP Osinbajo At The Commssioning Of Ademola Hall At Nigerian Law School Lagos / Lagos Prohibits Smoking In Public – Law Now In Effect / How Much Does Nigerian Senators Earn Per Month? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Nigerian Law Prohibits Citizens Taking Pictures Of An Accident Scene? by danexd(m): 2:25pm On Nov 13, 2009
I just witnessed a car accident in Enugu Metropolis it was between a soldier(on uniform) and a civilian. Read on
The civilian came out of his car and started working towards the soldier and before you can say hey! the soldier has already given the civilian guy a dirty slap across his face. This aroused the interest of the people nearby and trust Nigerian Citizens, they soon gathered around the scene of the incident. Among the people that gathered was a Barrister whose chamber was across the road. He started talking to the soldier and before long the whole thing lead to a hot argument between the two, the soldier even pushed the Lawyer.
I quickly brought out my camera phone and started taking pictures, one of the soldier colleagues who was also in uniform noticed me and quickly grabbed me***dragging ensured as he tried to take my phone from me but I refused. The incident immediately changed dimension from the car accident to the pictures I took. I was soon surrounded by the two soldiers as they insisted that I must show them the pictures.
The argument changed from *who hit who* to whether I have the right to take pictures of an accident scene. The soldiers argued that the pictures were “illegal and that since am not a press man I have no right to take the pictures.”
Finally another soldier who was not on uniform came, ***he politely asked that I delete the pictures (which I did) and he also asked the soldiers to leave me alone. The soldiers who were formerly insisting that the guy should repair their damaged car now left. The guy also left to repair his own car.
I was a bit amused and the same time confused so I ask***Is there a law that prohibits Nigerian citizens from taking pictures of an accident scene involving a civilian and a military man? Or
Must you be a journalist to take such public pictures?

Re: Does Nigerian Law Prohibits Citizens Taking Pictures Of An Accident Scene? by Nobody: 2:28pm On Nov 13, 2009
this doesnt look like an accident scene and in any case, if they tell you not to take pictures, then why are you insisting on doing so?

do you think you're some kind of hero or is this still about assasinating public officials.

i think the photos are from a junkyard.
Re: Does Nigerian Law Prohibits Citizens Taking Pictures Of An Accident Scene? by netotse(m): 2:36pm On Nov 13, 2009
@tpia
the guys post makes sense!

@OP
they were trying to demo you jo, na so we see am for naija, they were prolly illiterates hence the press man sturvs
Re: Does Nigerian Law Prohibits Citizens Taking Pictures Of An Accident Scene? by danexd(m): 4:43pm On Nov 13, 2009
@tpia some more pics are attached for you to judge if its from a junkyard or not
I didnot insist on taking the pictures kindly read through my post again.
It doesn't have anything to do with herosim***i was simply amazed that the pic could cause problems
I will not assasinate the character of any public officials but will try to get facts straight,
My question still remains***Is there a law that prohibits Nigerian citizens from taking pictures of an accident scene involving a civilian and a military man? Or
Must you be a journalist to take such public pictures?
I need answers
Thanks

Re: Does Nigerian Law Prohibits Citizens Taking Pictures Of An Accident Scene? by back2back(f): 4:49pm On Nov 13, 2009
In this case, you can take picture, there is no LAW that stops you doing this.

It is only when you take picture of people that it is polite to ask for their permission!
Re: Does Nigerian Law Prohibits Citizens Taking Pictures Of An Accident Scene? by agathamari(f): 9:16pm On Nov 14, 2009
not understanding why if you were not involved as in teh owner or passenger of the cars damaged why you have any business taking said pictures? is your life truely that boring that you have to amuse yourself in such macabe and juvinille antics as photographing an accident?
Re: Does Nigerian Law Prohibits Citizens Taking Pictures Of An Accident Scene? by Beaf: 11:23pm On Nov 14, 2009
agathamari:

not understanding why if you were not involved as in teh owner or passenger of the cars damaged why you have any business taking said pictures? is your life truely that boring that you have to amuse yourself in such macabe and juvinille antics as photographing an accident?

There is nothing juvenile about taking pictures of an accident scene, especially when one of the parties goes on to commit a brazen crime in public by assaulting the other party in the accident.
Re: Does Nigerian Law Prohibits Citizens Taking Pictures Of An Accident Scene? by Hauwa1: 11:29pm On Nov 14, 2009
you should be careful, thank God you did nt get the beating of ur life. next time do it without anyone knowing.
Re: Does Nigerian Law Prohibits Citizens Taking Pictures Of An Accident Scene? by proudly9ja(m): 12:42am On Nov 15, 2009
Nawao for those talking down on the guy for taking pictures. Is this not how a 'hero' took pictures and helped us speak against the humilation suffered in the hands of some naval officers some months back?

If we all keep 'minding' our business, remember that one day it may be your turn and there will be no one there to speak up or 'take pictures' as evidence.

@poster good work jare. I personally don't think there's a law against it though Im not sure but like someone said, if it has to show faces, then you may need to ask for permission.
I will also advice that you be careful next time however, what you did was couragious and worth emulating.
Re: Does Nigerian Law Prohibits Citizens Taking Pictures Of An Accident Scene? by danexd(m): 10:16am On Nov 20, 2009
agathamari:

I think you should go learn your diction first, then after that i can answer your question "if my live is that boring"

(1) (Reply)

Lekki Free Trade Zone Astonish Video. Must Watch / Osisioma Police Station Dpo Involved In The Kidnap Saga / How Gagut Originated Obama's Presidency-a Sociological Inquest

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.