Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,308 members, 7,836,346 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:46 AM

Why Defence Chief Is Stepping Down — Presidency - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Defence Chief Is Stepping Down — Presidency (2778 Views)

Anambra Election: Yul Edochie Denies Stepping Down, Threatens Legal Action / Femi Fani-Kayode & His Wife, Precious Stepping Out For Church (Photos) / My Men Will Not Fight Nigerian Troops, We Love Ourselves - Gambia Defence Chief (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Defence Chief Is Stepping Down — Presidency by Nobody: 8:46pm On Dec 12, 2016
The presidency has denied a news report that President Muhammad Buhari has approved the replacement of Chief of Defence Staff, General Gabriel Olonisakin, and Chief of Naval Staff, Vice Admiral Ibok-Ete Ekwe Ibas, as Service Chiefs.
Presidential spokesperson, Femi Adesina, said the report was “not completely true”.

He however admitted that the defence chief was stepping down.
” The newspaper, rather than rush to print an unsubstantiated story, would have done better to confirm the information at its disposal, from many available military and government information channels. It then would have avoided the self-inflicted wound of publishing a one-legged story that is not completely true, and damaging its brand in the process.

“[b]Gen Olonisakin is due to retire from the Army next week, having satisfied the official number of years in service. [/b]He is yet to be replaced. But the Chief of Naval Staff has a short while more, and President Buhari could, therefore, not have approved his replacement yet.”
Mr. Adesina said the administration had repeatedly pledged commitment to transparency and accountability, and one of the hallmarks of that is making information available to the media.

“But when some sections of the media would rather speculate, than cross-check and double check information, then it borders on deliberate mischief. That, surely, is not the way to go, for national cohesion and development,” he said.
http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/217723-defence-chief-stepping-presidency.html

mynd44, lalasticlala

Re: Why Defence Chief Is Stepping Down — Presidency by Krossbow123: 8:50pm On Dec 12, 2016
I hope u guys will not come back tomorrow to tell us this story is not true?

4 Likes

Re: Why Defence Chief Is Stepping Down — Presidency by AJOBI77(m): 8:51pm On Dec 12, 2016
We are following
Re: Why Defence Chief Is Stepping Down — Presidency by micfoley: 8:59pm On Dec 12, 2016
We hear o
Re: Why Defence Chief Is Stepping Down — Presidency by timsTNA: 9:44pm On Dec 12, 2016
Na like so them take style remove that Afonja man. They will then elevate the Chief of Air Staff, Air Marshal Sadique Abubakar to Chief of Defence Staff and then make an Igbo man Chief of Air Staff.

2 Likes

Re: Why Defence Chief Is Stepping Down — Presidency by progress69: 10:30pm On Dec 12, 2016
timsTNA:
Na like so them take style remove that Afonja man. They will then elevate the Chief of Air Staff, Air Marshal Sadique Abubakar to Chief of Defence Staff and then make an Igbo man Chief of Air Staff.
What kind of complex wailers are this? If this very senior officer remains the CDS after retirement, you will wail, now the senior officer is stepping down to retire you are already wanking again. Which kian people be this ones sef! Spits*

5 Likes

Re: Why Defence Chief Is Stepping Down — Presidency by Flets: 10:36pm On Dec 12, 2016
Truth is a lot of people don't care anymore. ... especially on appointments because this govt have been exposed and stereotyped for its nepotism.

Most care about the economy and elections..... nothing more.

3 Likes

Re: Why Defence Chief Is Stepping Down — Presidency by Nobody: 10:46pm On Dec 12, 2016
Don't worry. Its easy to predict Buhari's move. The next guy there wuld either be from d Hausa/fulani ethnic extraction or a Muslim or both.

Though I am not hating on these categories but, it only reveals the president's fear n insecurity if he can't go beyond the line of ethnic n religious politics because he thinks some persons out there, are looking for a weak link in his cycle so they could play the Babangida role once more.

He's such a weak bigot!

2 Likes

Re: Why Defence Chief Is Stepping Down — Presidency by CursedIboes: 10:49pm On Dec 12, 2016
timsTNA:

See the nonsense bullcrap frm this fla.thead. Afonja is the nightmare of all ebhoes.

4 Likes

Re: Why Defence Chief Is Stepping Down — Presidency by Nobody: 11:18pm On Dec 12, 2016
This present Govt has succeeded in turning Nigeria to a '102 inch' 15D Television that we now need a special kind of glasses to ascertain which news is real and half real. Too many back&forth resides with them. Smh

Re: Why Defence Chief Is Stepping Down — Presidency by Caseless: 11:20pm On Dec 12, 2016
True!

That man doesn't look like he's spent so much time in the army. He looks somewhat young.
Re: Why Defence Chief Is Stepping Down — Presidency by Presidiotbuhari: 12:14am On Dec 13, 2016
One afonja is about to kick dust in buharis government. And his replacement is a sure bet, abboki fulanis jihadist.

I love this..."Ol
Re: Why Defence Chief Is Stepping Down — Presidency by progress69: 12:33am On Dec 13, 2016
Caseless:
True!

That man doesn't look like he's spent so much time in the army. He looks somewhat young.

A Full General have not spent time in the Army?. Ok na. Kontinu
Re: Why Defence Chief Is Stepping Down — Presidency by ogtavia(m): 1:30am On Dec 13, 2016
that man is due for retirement abii,he shouldn't go on retirement again...Nigerians are the least objective people around..always chasing shadows and non-essential...the question should be,how does the next man fit into the office and keep up the work against Boko Haram,how does he manage the three arms of service,how does he ensure the defence of our Nation's territories nd borders,how does he improve the welfare of officers and men of the Nigerian Military,how does he improve the general perception of our military,how does he ensure that our military gets better in its policies and practices...the questions are endless...some people like whipping up unnecessary conspiracy theories and flat sentiments...the man is due for retirement, he must retire...
Re: Why Defence Chief Is Stepping Down — Presidency by agabusta: 4:52am On Dec 13, 2016
progress69:

A Major General have not spent time in the Army?. Ok na. Kontinu

He is a full General. One of the few to ever attain that position. How can you say he is a Major General when his subordinate, the Chief of Army Staff, Lt. Gen Buratai is a Lieutenant General?

He was promoted to a full General by President Buhari on his appointment as Chief of Defence Staff.

You are right, the man has completed his mandatory 35 yrs in service but he sure does have age on his side. I heard he was the youngest officer of his course. I won't be surprised if President Buhari extends his retirement.
Re: Why Defence Chief Is Stepping Down — Presidency by azimibraun: 5:00am On Dec 13, 2016
timsTNA:
you are just stating the obvious. Tell me what you would have done differently. That will be after you define what Military is an how a chief is made in the military; as in the standards as well as the situational. Just in a hurry to comeback and say" Shebi I talk am"

1 Like

Re: Why Defence Chief Is Stepping Down — Presidency by agabusta: 5:00am On Dec 13, 2016
ogtavia:
that man is due for retirement abii,he shouldn't go on retirement again...

Nigerians are the least objective people around..always chasing shadows and non-essential...the question should be,how does the next man fit into the office and keep up the work against Boko Haram,how does he manage the three arms of service,how does he ensure the defence of our Nation's territories nd borders,how does he improve the welfare of officers and men of the Nigerian Military,how does he improve the general perception of our military,how does he ensure that our military gets better in its policies and practices

...the questions are endless

...some people like whipping up unnecessary conspiracy theories and flat sentiments

...the man is due for retirement, he must retire...

Sincerely with the thinking of a lot of people in this country domiciled on frivolities, I often wonder if Nigeria can ever achieve any greatness.

The greater population of our people are just so dumb. So sorry to say. They lack the ability for unbiased and objective criticism.

And the cords of partisanship here in Nigeria is far greater than the cords of nationhood. That is the major problem. There is lots of love for country in civilised countries than for partisan course.

A Nigerian does not care, he can steal billions and not give a damn about other people in the country. He can steal billions and take it to another country to develop their economy.
Re: Why Defence Chief Is Stepping Down — Presidency by azimibraun: 5:09am On Dec 13, 2016
ugolance:
This present Govt has succeeded in turning Nigeria to a '102 inch' 15D Television that we now need a special kind of glasses to ascertain which news is real and half real. Too many back&forth resides with them. Smh
Bring the White House press secretary to Nigeria and he will be messed up. A country where people cherish rumor so much people carry their phones in hand with Internet but still ask people with kpalasa phone for what goes on in government and around town. Again which ministry of info, or presidential spokesman can succeed in a country where bloggers create news instead of reporting the news? All for the traffic money. Government elsewhere gives out info, in Nigeria government is always correcting and counter balancing information becouse of rumour mongers an fake bloggers and docile demography.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Defence Chief Is Stepping Down — Presidency by azimibraun: 5:16am On Dec 13, 2016
No fight, No quarrel and a Uniform Man is a public servant with tenure and age waiting on him. Why wld that not come to the mind of a Nigerian first before thinking something else like may be being fire by the president? For his successor my first question would nt be his tribe or religion but his qualification as in by law is he next in hierarchy? Or have the direct superiors before hindered by any factor to become chief and that created the room for him/her? I think good before I think negative.
Re: Why Defence Chief Is Stepping Down — Presidency by moshmusth(m): 7:02am On Dec 13, 2016
why would someone retiring next week, step down ? buhari govt and confusion
Re: Why Defence Chief Is Stepping Down — Presidency by gebest: 7:27am On Dec 13, 2016
but he should not replace him with an hausa or fulani man
Re: Why Defence Chief Is Stepping Down — Presidency by agabusta: 7:50am On Dec 13, 2016
azimibraun:
Bring the White House press secretary to Nigeria and he will be messed up. A country where people cherish rumor so much people carry their phones in hand with Internet but still ask people with kpalasa phone for what goes on in government and around town. Again which ministry of info, or presidential spokesman can succeed in a country where bloggers create news instead of reporting the news? All for the traffic money. Government elsewhere gives out info, in Nigeria government is always correcting and counter balancing information becouse of rumour mongers an fake bloggers and docile demography.

Thank you very much for this piece. That is just the unfortunate situation we find ourselves in this country. As a matter of emergency, the activities of these informal media needs to be regulated before they cause a big problem for the country.
Re: Why Defence Chief Is Stepping Down — Presidency by agabusta: 7:53am On Dec 13, 2016
moshmusth:
why would someone retiring next week, step down ? buhari govt and confusion

You are the confused one. A rumour was let out that he has been sacked, govt comes out to clarify that he has not been sacked but will be retiring next week, and you are still talking about confusion.

Where is the confusion here??
Re: Why Defence Chief Is Stepping Down — Presidency by progress69: 8:11am On Dec 13, 2016
agabusta:

He is a full General. One of the few to ever attain that position. How can you say he is a Major General when his subordinate, the Chief of Army Staff, Lt. Gen Buratai is a Lieutenant General?

He was promoted to a full General by President Buhari on his appointment as Chief of Defence Staff.

You are right, the man has completed his mandatory 35 yrs in service but he sure does have age on his side. I heard he was the youngest officer of his course. I won't be surprised if President Buhari extends his retirement.

He was appointed as a Major General and later promoted. Didn't keep track of that. The picture posted was wheb he was in the rank.of Major General. Brutai was also appointed as a Major General and Promoted too. I just commented based on the pic posted.
Re: Why Defence Chief Is Stepping Down — Presidency by agabusta: 8:58am On Dec 13, 2016
progress69:

He was appointed as a Major General and later promoted. Didn't keep track of that. The picture posted was wheb he was in the rank.of Major General. Brutai was also appointed as a Major General and Promoted too. I just commented based on the pic posted.

His promotion was a compliment of his appointment, Same with Burutai but Olonisakin got a double promotion. They have been promoted now more than a year. Commenting on the rank of an officer based on photo may not be too accurate as the picture may not be recent.
Re: Why Defence Chief Is Stepping Down — Presidency by progress69: 8:59am On Dec 13, 2016
agabusta:

His promotion was a compliment of his appointment, Same with Burutai but Olonisakin got a double promotion. They have been promoted now more than a year. Commenting on the rank of an officer based on photo may not be too accurate as the picture may not be recent.

Yeah i copy that grin

1 Like

Re: Why Defence Chief Is Stepping Down — Presidency by ogtavia(m): 12:04pm On Dec 13, 2016
agabusta:

Sincerely with the thinking of a lot of people in this country domiciled on frivolities, I often wonder if Nigeria can ever achieve any greatness.

The greater population of our people are just so dumb. So sorry to say. They lack the ability for unbiased and objective criticism.

And the cords of partisanship here in Nigeria is far greater than the cords of nationhood. That is the major problem. There is lots of love for country in civilised countries than for partisan course.

A Nigerian does not care, he can steal billions and not give a damn about other people in the country. He can steal billions and take it to another country to develop their economy.
well said...and if I say we deserve the kind of leaders we get..someone will come and argue blindly...yes...we deserve the kind of leaders we get...imagine if the greater portion of our population lack objectivity and sound reasoning..when they head to the polls the outcome is obvious...conversely,if our people develop a right as well as an irrevocable socio - political ideology ND are bluntly adverse to the wind of all kind of bias..we won't be where we are today...but like you said sir...

The cords of partisanship (and may I add,affinity for tribal/religious discord) are far stronger than our cords of nationhood...permit me to also add...our appetite,drive,yearning and pursuit for nationhood...within the purview of unity,genuine love for one another..fairness
.. the list is endless..

herein lies the tragedy of our great nation..

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

CV Of Muhammadu Buhari / 2019: Southern Kaduna People Take Final Position On Candidate To Support / 2hausas,1police Officer Killed As Hausa Clash With Police Over Buhari Reelection

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.