Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,153 members, 7,811,312 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:56 AM

World's Smallest Country Up For Sale - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / World's Smallest Country Up For Sale (1189 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

World's Smallest Country Up For Sale by nazzyon(m): 11:13pm On Jan 09, 2007
World's Smallest Country Up for Sale

For sale: the world's smallest country with its own flag, stamps, currency and passports.

Apply to Prince Michael of Sealand if you want to run your own nation, even if it is just a wartime fort perched on two concrete towers in the North Sea.

Built in World War Two as an anti-aircraft base to repel German bombers, the derelict platform was taken over 40 years ago by retired army major Paddy Roy Bates who went to live there with his family.

He declared the platform, perched seven miles off the east coast of England and just outside Britain's territorial waters, to be the principality of Sealand.

The self-styled Prince Roy adopted a flag, chose a national anthem and minted silver and gold coins.

The family saw off an attempt by Britain's Royal Navy to evict them and also an attempt in 1978 by a group of German and Dutch businessmen to seize Sealand by force.

Roy, 85, now lives in Spain and his son Michael told BBC Radio on Monday his family had been approached by estate agents with clients "who wanted a bit more than a bit of real estate, they wanted autonomy."

He suggested Sealand, which has eight rooms in each tower, could be a base for online gambling or offshore banking.

Asked to describe the delights of living on what he described as a cross between a house and a ship, the 54-year-old said: "The neighbors are very quiet. There is a good sea view."
Re: World's Smallest Country Up For Sale by 8oracle(m): 7:57pm On Jan 10, 2007
The offer is up on my alley. I am right away placing a bid of £250,000,000 hard pound sterling, As for your commission discuss that with Micheal.
Good raddiance
Re: World's Smallest Country Up For Sale by Seun(m): 7:22pm On Jan 11, 2007
For a similar price, you could buy a ship and keep it permanently at sea. "Sealand" can't produce its own food.
Re: World's Smallest Country Up For Sale by 8oracle(m): 8:53pm On Jan 11, 2007
Seun: I am food secured and eating satisfied, My problem is to feel what hunger is like, such a remote location will be my teacher. GET me Micheal over the fone, it will be a perfect place for me to hide away from my poor neigbhours and my looting of Aro in Abeokuta or Aso in Abuja wink

(1) (Reply)

Olive Estate / Home Designs / A Clean Mini-flat Off Adeniyi Jones Ikeja 350k X 1yrs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.