Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,733 members, 7,817,017 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:07 PM

Choosing Between Working In Lagos Mainland Or Lagos Island - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Choosing Between Working In Lagos Mainland Or Lagos Island (13974 Views)

Is This True About People Working In Lagos? / Vulcanizer Dies After Tyre Explodes While Working In His Workshop.Graphic Photos / Living And Working In Lagos Vs. Living And Working In Port Harcourt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Choosing Between Working In Lagos Mainland Or Lagos Island by PetiteB: 3:23pm On Dec 13, 2016
The choice of where to live affects many other decisions out of which is the decision of where to work.
I have found myself in the dilemma of whether to take up job opportunities found in both Lagos Island and Lagos mainland despite the fact that I reside closer to the mainland.

Basically, anyone would choose to work in an area closer to where he/she works and vice versa. However, in my case and that of others similar to mine, it may not necessarily be so, due to some Lagos factors.
Lagos Island can be said to have most of the highest-paying jobs and best-designed apartments than the mainland. But in terms of cost of living, it is more economical to live on the mainland.

Someone could get a job on the island paying a monthly salary of N300,000 and on the mainland paying, say, N200,000 monthly. Assuming this person resides on the mainland where accommodation is cheaper, he/she will have to spend more on transport fare to work on the Island plus the time that will have to be spent commuting to and fro Third Mainland bridge.

On the other hand, the person has the option of living on the island, closer to where he works with the benefit of saving cost on transport but to spend much more on accommodation than he does living on the mainland.
What is your advice? Take the Island job or the mainland job?
Trust me, many are struggling with this decision and your invaluable advice would go a long way. Kindly share your view by commenting below.

Source: https://www.tolet.com.ng/blog/choosing-between-working-on-lagos-mainland-or-lagos-island/?utm_source=nairaland&utm_campaign=nairaland13_12_2016&utm_medium=blog

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Choosing Between Working In Lagos Mainland Or Lagos Island by veekid(m): 6:40am On Dec 14, 2016

mainland ti take over
Re: Choosing Between Working In Lagos Mainland Or Lagos Island by nmreports: 6:40am On Dec 14, 2016
Hmmm...
Trying to understand the sense in this topic.

Thinking again but maybe others can get it sha.

On a lighter mood, I like tolet.

5 Likes

Re: Choosing Between Working In Lagos Mainland Or Lagos Island by nony43(m): 6:40am On Dec 14, 2016
Island is bae

7 Likes

Re: Choosing Between Working In Lagos Mainland Or Lagos Island by femliany(m): 6:45am On Dec 14, 2016
Majority of better work dey Island now
Re: Choosing Between Working In Lagos Mainland Or Lagos Island by RentALodge: 6:48am On Dec 14, 2016
This is a good question; one which a lot of people coming and those even living in Lagos have not considered deeply. While no one can ultimately gun-force anyone to make this kind of move via NL, it's good people understand the pros and cons of such places. I am bias against Lagos Island, and so I will go first on why I prefer Lagos Mainland. I may come later to give the pros of living on Lagos Island in another post.

1.Power: It is true that inadequate power supply is a major issue in Lagos. But it can be very bad in Lekki. Some areas in Lagos enjoy more electricity than the French Riviera of Lagos. Well, you may say you will augment with generator, but the cost of servicing the fuel and buying diesel or fuel is thrice than what you will spend on the Mainland.

2.Tolls: Moving to Lekki also meant paying tolls. Daily commute on the Lekki-Epe Expressway and the Ikoyi link bridge mean that you have to spend more. By the end of his first month, as a family man or woman you could spend up to N20,000 just for paying told monthly on tolls.

3. School Fees: The private schools on the Island are some of the most expensive you can find in part of Lagos. Parents pay as much one million or more per session in some of the highbrows schools of Lekki. Even the middle level schools charge exorbitantly. But does expensive fees translates to good and quality education?

3. Security: Security in Lagos is pretty much challenging no matter where you live. However, living on the island typically attracts a higher security cost. The guards at your house will likely cost more. You also contribute regularly to estate or community security. It is also likely that you spend some money on security systems for your homes and properties as is typically the case in highbrow areas. These things can be very expensive.

4. Rent & Fees: Rent in any part of the Island are very prohibitive, even for low income earners. A flat in lekki can cost as much as 1.500 million and as low as 800,000 depending on the location. Even for a room or self-contained apartment, rent is very expensive.

5. Nature: Flooding is a constant threat for the people on the Island. For people living in Ikoyi, Victoria Island, Lekki and Ajah, flood is a major headache. So if you are planning to move, you must take into consideration that you may experience flooding when it rains.

6. Utilities: Electricity bills, water, refuse disposal, supermarkets, salons etc. all cost a lot more on the island. Things often cost slightly higher on the Island than on the mainland, largely due to the perception that those who live on the island are richer than most people who live on the mainland.

So if you are moving to Island, then you must be ready to pay more for your status change. If you have the money, I doubt you will want it any other way. If you don't, why bother?

63 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Choosing Between Working In Lagos Mainland Or Lagos Island by mcmurphy132(m): 6:49am On Dec 14, 2016
lagoon land better

1 Like

Re: Choosing Between Working In Lagos Mainland Or Lagos Island by ayusco85(m): 6:49am On Dec 14, 2016
Get a house on the island. I work and stay on the island. My colleagues envy me because I come to work very early and get home on time before they reach half of their journey.

7 Likes

Re: Choosing Between Working In Lagos Mainland Or Lagos Island by Nobody: 6:50am On Dec 14, 2016
nmreports:
Hmmm... Trying to understand the sense in this topic.
Thinking again but maybe others can get it sha.
On a lighter mood, I like tolet.

Then you shouldnt be here.....Dull breeds

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Choosing Between Working In Lagos Mainland Or Lagos Island by Nobody: 6:50am On Dec 14, 2016
Take the Island job, live in mainland and patronize our executive bus service, for cheaper, faster and easy means of transportation, to and fro work. It's convenient, stress and hassle free. Check the link below:

https://www.nairaland.com/3512560/ease-transportation-those-working-island

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Choosing Between Working In Lagos Mainland Or Lagos Island by mccoy47(m): 6:52am On Dec 14, 2016
OgatheTop:

Thunder fire the following basttards;

ngene ukwenu, hungerbad. modath, omenka, madridguy, midolian, madcow, sarrki, aresa, kenekin and the bloody idiots called gbawe, bolustic and 1stola!

And oh, I forgot the despicable fool called Modsith!

Modified... Pls add the silly heads called Demdem and Passingshot!
undecided
Dat tin don start again?

5 Likes

Re: Choosing Between Working In Lagos Mainland Or Lagos Island by jayAjoku(m): 6:53am On Dec 14, 2016
take the island Job but get a place on the mainland to stay . get yourself a Good Motorcycle or Bike and use that for transportation .

2 Likes

Re: Choosing Between Working In Lagos Mainland Or Lagos Island by nmreports: 6:55am On Dec 14, 2016
Maychang:

Then you shouldnt be here.....Dull breeds

Abi o.
Hope you had a great night.
Im glad you understand and like the thread.

2 Likes

Re: Choosing Between Working In Lagos Mainland Or Lagos Island by eph12(m): 6:59am On Dec 14, 2016
I don't think I can ever work on the island anymore unless I'm paid enough to get an accommodation there. I left the island for a lower paying job on the mainland. The stress was just too much.

10 Likes

Re: Choosing Between Working In Lagos Mainland Or Lagos Island by bammy00(m): 6:59am On Dec 14, 2016
If it's paying as high as 200- 250 and there is staff bus from the mainland, take it. If not, get ready to spend at least 4hrs every day in traffic. The choice is personal, I don't like stress, mainland is okay for me. I'm still at home at 7am and I'm back at home before 6pm. Savings is key in both situations.

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Choosing Between Working In Lagos Mainland Or Lagos Island by Masquerade7: 7:00am On Dec 14, 2016
Choose wisely. Savings is very important. Forget the flashy things in the island.
Remember Nigeria is recessed.

5 Likes

Re: Choosing Between Working In Lagos Mainland Or Lagos Island by martineverest(m): 7:03am On Dec 14, 2016
mainland anytime any day.....navigation on island streets is zero,especially cms and obalende areas...the traffic is far worse than those on mainland...ther is also zero/few traffic on mainland during working hrs while island is usually grid-locked at same period.

7 Likes

Re: Choosing Between Working In Lagos Mainland Or Lagos Island by Oyinkhansolamie(f): 7:03am On Dec 14, 2016
island sure pass
Re: Choosing Between Working In Lagos Mainland Or Lagos Island by ndcide(m): 7:06am On Dec 14, 2016
The choice is yours Jare.

There's traffic everywhere in Lagos. Except you live in VI and work in VI.

There's traffic from Ajah to VI. Thing's are cheaper in mainland compared to the Island .

Those who consistently come early to work in my office reside on the island.

My cost of my apartment in Ajah can get me something better in some places in the mainland.

My point is, No big deal Unless the place is really far from your work place.

Remember, Your savings matters most.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Choosing Between Working In Lagos Mainland Or Lagos Island by martineverest(m): 7:08am On Dec 14, 2016
NLsince2010:
Take the Island job, live in mainland and patronize our executive bus service, for cheaper, faster and easy means of transportation, to and fro work. It's convenient, stress and hassle free. Check the link below:

https://www.nairaland.com/3512560/ease-transportation-those-working-island
but u failed to tell him that the stress of going to island from mainland is enoff to reduce his life span by 10 yrs

4 Likes

Re: Choosing Between Working In Lagos Mainland Or Lagos Island by Kelly737: 7:08am On Dec 14, 2016
Island... Any day anytime

1 Like

Re: Choosing Between Working In Lagos Mainland Or Lagos Island by ednut1(m): 7:11am On Dec 14, 2016
hahahaah. person wey knw as job scarce wont consider all dis na.

1 Like

Re: Choosing Between Working In Lagos Mainland Or Lagos Island by seedorfg(m): 7:16am On Dec 14, 2016
i will urge you to choose OKOKO WORK ooo

3 Likes

Re: Choosing Between Working In Lagos Mainland Or Lagos Island by Kenechi1: 7:18am On Dec 14, 2016
Why would one pick the mainland over the island. When the island is filled with all these events and luxuries.
Re: Choosing Between Working In Lagos Mainland Or Lagos Island by seedorfg(m): 7:19am On Dec 14, 2016
main land or island i'll rather go for otuokeland
Re: Choosing Between Working In Lagos Mainland Or Lagos Island by kikies(m): 7:21am On Dec 14, 2016
U can actually live anywhere, the road networks on major roads in Lagos r now OK,so u can b working on d island n b living on the mainland in places like festac,surulere,gbagada,okota etc at least for the mentioned places its still considerable, anything aside these places.....omo na stress go kill d person (places like okoko,igando,igede,etc)

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Choosing Between Working In Lagos Mainland Or Lagos Island by Kenechi1: 7:21am On Dec 14, 2016
RentALodge:
This is a good question; one which a lot of people coming and those even living in Lagos have not considered deeply. While no one can ultimately gun-force anyone to make this kind of move via NL, it's good people understand the pros and cons of such places. I am bias against Lagos Island, and so I will go first on why I prefer Lagos Mainland. I may come later to give the pros of living on Lagos Island in another post.

1.Power: It is true that inadequate power supply is a major issue in Lagos. But it can be very bad in Lekki. Some areas in Lagos enjoy more electricity than the French Riviera of Lagos. Well, you may say you will augment with generator, but the cost of servicing the fuel and buying diesel or fuel is thrice than what you will spend on the Mainland.

2.Tolls: Moving to Lekki also meant paying tolls. Daily commute on the Lekki-Epe Expressway and the Ikoyi link bridge mean that you have to spend more. By the end of his first month, as a family man or woman you could spend up to N20,000 just for paying told monthly on tolls.

3. School Fees: The private schools on the Island are some of the most expensive you can find in part of Lagos. Parents pay as much one million or more per session in some of the highbrows schools of Lekki. Even the middle level schools charge exorbitantly. But does expensive fees translates to good and quality education?

3. Security: Security in Lagos is pretty much challenging no matter where you live. However, living on the island typically attracts a higher security cost. The guards at your house will likely cost more. You also contribute regularly to estate or community security. It is also likely that you spend some money on security systems for your homes and properties as is typically the case in highbrow areas. These things can be very expensive.

4. Rent & Fees: Rent in any part of the Island are very prohibitive, even for low income earners. A flat in lekki can cost as much as 1.500 million and as low as 800,000 depending on the location. Even for a room or self-contained apartment, rent is very expensive.

5. Nature: Flooding is a constant threat for the people on the Island. For people living in Ikoyi, Victoria Island, Lekki and Ajah, flood is a major headache. So if you are planning to move, you must take into consideration that you may experience flooding when it rains.

6. Utilities: Electricity bills, water, refuse disposal, supermarkets, salons etc. all cost a lot more on the island. Things often cost slightly higher on the Island than on the mainland, largely due to the perception that those who live on the island are richer than most people who live on the mainland.

So if you are moving to Island, then you must be ready to pay more for your status change. If you have the money, I doubt you will want it any other way. If you don't, why bother?
Why don't you name the postives of the island. And also power supply is poor throughout lagos. Why do you think the schools on the island are more expensive? Probably it because the quality of education they receive at those schools.

2 Likes

Re: Choosing Between Working In Lagos Mainland Or Lagos Island by maggilove(f): 7:23am On Dec 14, 2016
Mainland all the way.
Re: Choosing Between Working In Lagos Mainland Or Lagos Island by wakes: 7:24am On Dec 14, 2016
I rather WORK AT HOME!
Re: Choosing Between Working In Lagos Mainland Or Lagos Island by chaloner(m): 7:27am On Dec 14, 2016
Both na land land
Re: Choosing Between Working In Lagos Mainland Or Lagos Island by Suurulere(m): 7:28am On Dec 14, 2016
Even the capital, Ikeja, is on the mainland. The Governor don't like stress. The ball is your court.

6 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Who Wants To Be A Petroleum Engineer? Please Read This. / What Can A Fresh Graduate Do To Earn A Living? / The Pain Of An Accountant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.