Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,107 members, 7,811,117 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:02 AM

Does Islam Have Ten Commandments? - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Does Islam Have Ten Commandments? (7826 Views)

Does Islam Prohibit Smoking Or Selling Drugs? And Drinking Or Selling Alcohol? I / Does Islam Forbids Contraceptive Pills? / What Does Islam Teach Us Regarding Haters? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Islam Have Ten Commandments? by Nobody: 4:29pm On Dec 13, 2016
As salaam alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh

I was recently asked a question and it made me wonder if Islam has 'ten commandments'. Being that I had no knowledge on the topic, I resulted to checking one of the most reliable website islamqa.

So, does Islam have ten commandments?

I will cull the answer of Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

Praise be to Allaah.

There are in the Qur’an certain aayaat (verses) which some scholars call the verses of the Ten Commandments, because they include ten important commandments given by Allaah to mankind. These aayaat are to be found in two passages of the Qur’an.

The first is in Soorat al-An’aam, where Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Say: ‘Come, I will recite what your Lord has prohibited you from: Join not anything in worship with him; be good and dutiful to your parents; kill not your children because of poverty – We provide sustenance for you and for them; come not near to al-fawaahish (shameful sins, illegal sexual intercourse, etc.), whether committed openly or secretly; and kill not anyone whom Allaah has forbidden, except for a just cause (according to Islamic law). This He has commanded you that you may understand.

And come not near to the orphan’s property, except to improve it, until he (or she) attains the age of full strength; and give full measure and full weight with justice. We burden not any person, but that which he can bear. And whenever you give your word (i.e., judge between men or give evidence, etc.), say the truth even if a near relative is concerned, and fulfil the Covenant of Allaah. This He commands you, that you may remember.

And, verily, this (i.e., Allaah’s commandments mentioned in the above two verses) is my Straight Path, so follow it, and follow not (other) paths, for they will separate you away from His Path. This He has ordained for you that you may become al-muttaqoon (the pious).” [al-An’aam 6:151-153]

The second passage occurs in Soorat al-Israa’, and may be considered as a commentary on the passage quoted above. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And your Lord has decreed that you worship none but Him. And that you be dutiful to your parents. If one or them or both of them attain old age in your life, say not to them a word of disrespect, nor shout at them, but address them in terms of honour.

And lower unto them the wing of submission and humility through mercy, and say: ‘My Lord! Bestow on them Your Mercy as they did bring me up when I was small.’

Your Lord knows best what is in your inner-selves. If you are righteous, then, verily, He is ever Most-Forgiving to those who turn unto Him again and again in obedience, and in repentance.

And give to the kindred his due and to the poor and to the wayfarer. But spend not wastefully (your wealth) in the manner of a spendthrift.

Verily, spendthrifts are brothers of the shayaateen (devils), and the Shaytaan (Satan) is ever ungrateful to his Lord.

And if you turn away from them (kindred, poor, wayfarers, etc. whom We have ordered you to give their rights, but if you have no money at the time they ask you for it) and you are awaiting a mercy from your Lord for which you hope, then, speak unto them a soft kind word (i.e., Allaah will give to me and I will give to you).

And let not your hand be tied (like a miser) to your neck, not stretch it forth to its utmost reach (like a spendthrift), so that you become blameworthy and in severe poverty.

Truly, your Lord enlarges the provision for whom He wills and straitens (for whom He wills). Verily, He is Ever All-Knower, All-Seer of His slaves.
And kill not your children for fear of poverty. We provide for them and for you. Surely the killing of them is a great sin.
And come not near to unlawful sexual intercourse. Verily, it is a faahishah [i.e., anything that transgresses its limits (a great sin)], and an evil way (that leads one to Hell unless Allaah forgives him).

And do not kill anyone which Allaah has forbidden, except for a just cause. And whoever is killed (intentionally with hostility and aggression and not by mistake), We have given his heir the authority [to demand qisaas – Law of Equality in punishment – or to forgive, or to take Diya (blood money)]. But let him not exceed limits in the matter of taking life (i.e., he should not kill except the killer only). Verily, he is helped (by the Islamic law).

And come not near to the orphan’s property except to improve it, until he attains the age of full strength. And fulfil (every) covenant. Verily! The covenant will be questioned about.

And give full measure when you measure, and weigh with a balance that is straight. That is good (advantageous) and better in the end.

And follow not (O man, i.e., say not, or do not or witness not, etc.) that of which you have no knowledge. Verily! The hearing, and the sight, and the heart, of each of those you will be questioned by Allaah.

And walk not on the earth with conceit and arrogance. Verily, you can neither rend nor penetrate the earth, nor can you attain a stature like that of the mountains in height.

All the bad aspects of these (the above mentioned things) are hateful to your Lord.
This is part of al-hikmah (wisdom, good manners and high character, etc.) which your Lord has inspired to you (O Muhammad). And set not up with Allaah any other ilaah (god) lest you should be thrown into Hell, blameworthy and rejected (from Allaah’s mercy).” [al-Israa’ 17:23-39]

Source: https://islamqa.info/en/2273

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Does Islam Have Ten Commandments? by Nobody: 4:46pm On Dec 13, 2016
cc Lexiconkabir Friendchoice Demmzy15 rabiushile04

2 Likes

Re: Does Islam Have Ten Commandments? by Nobody: 6:01pm On Dec 13, 2016
MashaAllah. These are all Allah's commandments. The fact scholars name them 10 commandments does not means Islam have something like 10 commandments.
The commandments of Islam are more than 10 and all of them falls under 11 category.

To Me There Are 11 commandments.

These Are Five (5) Pillars Of Islam And (6) Articles of Faith [Iman]

1) Shahada: Testifying to God's One-ness: The declaration "There is no God but Allah and Muhammad is His prophet."

2) Salat: Prayer. General Features of Islamic Prayer.

3) Zakat: Giving charity. Originally a free- will donation (what is no called Sadaqah ). ...

4) Sawm: Fast.

5) Hajj: Pilgrimage.

6) i. Belief in God

7) ii. Belief in His Angels

8.) iii. Belief in His Books

9) iv. Belief in His Prophets and Messengers

10) v. Belief in the Day of Judgment

11) vi. Belief in God’s Divine Decree

What amaze me in the 10 commandments you post is: The first is always let's believe and worship Allah alone.

The most powerful commandments that is common in all religions is Kalimatush Shahada

ﺷَﻬِﺪَ ﺍﻟﻠَّﻪُ ﺃَﻧَّﻪُ ﻟَﺎ ﺇِﻟَٰﻪَ ﺇِﻟَّﺎ ﻫُﻮَ ﻭَﺍﻟْﻤَﻠَﺎﺋِﻜَﺔُ ﻭَﺃُﻭﻟُﻮ ﺍﻟْﻌِﻠْﻢِ ﻗَﺎﺋِﻤًﺎ ﺑِﺎﻟْﻘِﺴْﻂِ ۚ ﻟَﺎ ﺇِﻟَٰﻪَ ﺇِﻟَّﺎ ﻫُﻮَ ﺍﻟْﻌَﺰِﻳﺰُ ﺍﻟْﺤَﻜِﻴﻢ

Allah witnesses that there is no deity except Him, and [so do] the angels and those of knowledge - [that He is] maintaining [creation] in justice. There is no deity except Him, the Exalted in Might, the Wise. [Qur'an 3:18]

Say, "O People of the Scripture, come to a word that is equitable between us and you - that we will not worship except Allah and not associate anything with Him and not take one another as lords instead of Allah ." But if they turn away, then say, "Bear witness that we are Muslims [submitting to Him]." [Qur'an 3: 74]

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Islam Have Ten Commandments? by Nobody: 7:05pm On Dec 13, 2016
@ Friendchoice I agree, there are definitely more commandments from Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala but the reasons for categorizing these as ten was because they are very important.

@ lexiconkabir
I have spotted you viewing this thread several times, do you want to contribute something?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Does Islam Have Ten Commandments? by Nobody: 7:21pm On Dec 13, 2016
snapscore:
@ Friendchoi.ce I agree, there are definitely more commandments from Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala but the reasons for categorizing these as ten was because they are very important.

@ lexiconkab.ir
I have spotted you viewing this thread several times, do you want to contribute something?

I'm here to learn oh my sister.

1 Like

Re: Does Islam Have Ten Commandments? by Nobody: 9:23pm On Dec 13, 2016
snapscore:
@ Friendchoice I agree, there are definitely more commandments from Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala but the reasons for categorizing these as ten was because they are very important.

@ lexiconkabir

LOL...spotted KB, Snapscore na VIO/LASTMA..hehehehehe!!

1 Like

Re: Does Islam Have Ten Commandments? by Nobody: 12:15pm On Dec 30, 2016
Re: Does Islam Have Ten Commandments? by Nobody: 4:22pm On Jan 04, 2017
snapscore Aslm Two days. Hope all is well.
Re: Does Islam Have Ten Commandments? by Nobody: 7:41pm On Jan 04, 2017
FriendChoice:
snapscore Aslm Two days. Hope all is well.

Salam alaikum,

I am fine alhamdulliah.
Everything is fine. Just been a lil busy.

Thanks for the remembrance
Re: Does Islam Have Ten Commandments? by Nobody: 7:47pm On Jan 04, 2017
snapscore:

Salam alaikum,
I am fine alhamdulliah. Everything is fine. Just been a lil busy.
Thanks for the remembrance
Good to hear that.

1 Like

Re: Does Islam Have Ten Commandments? by Bashirfuntua(m): 11:32am On Feb 17, 2017
Barakallah

1 Like

Re: Does Islam Have Ten Commandments? by Wiseandtrue(f): 11:32am On Feb 17, 2017
Ok
Re: Does Islam Have Ten Commandments? by Wiseandtrue(f): 11:37am On Feb 17, 2017
snapscore:
As salaam alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh

And come not near to unlawful sexual intercourse. Verily, it is a faahishah [i.e., anything that transgresses its limits (a great sin)], and an evil way (that leads one to Hell unless Allaah forgives him).

And do not kill anyone which Allaah has forbidden, except for a just cause. And whoever is killed (intentionally with hostility and aggression and not by mistake), We have given his heir the authority [to demand qisaas – Law of Equality in punishment – or to forgive, or to take Diya (blood money)]. But let him not exceed limits in the matter of taking life (i.e., he should not kill except the killer only). Verily, he is helped (by the Islamic law).
Source: https://islamqa.info/en/2273

I hope bokoharam and other extremist reads this part

3 Likes

Re: Does Islam Have Ten Commandments? by MUNDI007(m): 11:42am On Feb 17, 2017
Alhamdulilah!!! Let the message spread till it get to those that think killing is part of Islam (or boko haram represent Muslims). Masha Allah
Re: Does Islam Have Ten Commandments? by Shafiiimran99: 11:42am On Feb 17, 2017
No, we don't though prophet categorized some of what u posted as 7 destructive or major sins
Re: Does Islam Have Ten Commandments? by babs01(m): 11:49am On Feb 17, 2017
Re: Does Islam Have Ten Commandments? by Nobody: 12:02pm On Feb 17, 2017
I still don't get the benefits of this topic. What are u trying to arrive at?

1 Like

Re: Does Islam Have Ten Commandments? by nofeeajoke: 12:05pm On Feb 17, 2017
The prophet(SAW) said whosoever follow the part of some people he/she is part of them...Allahu Alam
Re: Does Islam Have Ten Commandments? by abuuthmaan: 1:27pm On Feb 17, 2017
FYI...Since all the prophets of Allah (from Adam, Abraham, Moses, Jesus and the last of them Muhammad, upon them be peace) came with the same message which is worshipping of ONE God (Allaah), the Ten commandments taught by Moses, seconded by Jesus are there in the teachings of the last Messenger (Muhammad, upon him be peace) except one 'keeping the Sabbath' which is replaced by Jumu'ah (friday), but every other commandments is there in islaam from worshipping of one True God, not killing a soul unjustly, sleeping with one's neighbor wife, etc

to Allaah Belongs Guidance and beseech such from Him

1 Like

Re: Does Islam Have Ten Commandments? by Nikeruka(m): 1:28pm On Feb 17, 2017
Will you stop this...although those verses are verses of Quran... But neither Allah nor his Prophet mentioned anything like ten commandments.. So fear Allah..and do not imitate people of other religion.
Re: Does Islam Have Ten Commandments? by ybalogs(m): 3:28pm On Feb 17, 2017
Jumaat Mufeedah.
Re: Does Islam Have Ten Commandments? by ybalogs(m): 3:30pm On Feb 17, 2017
As Muslims,we need to identify what is right then do it and get to know what is wrong and avoid it. That's our commandment. Wallahu Ahlam.
Re: Does Islam Have Ten Commandments? by Nobody: 3:51pm On Feb 17, 2017
Salam alaykum

The purpose of this thread was really to show the beautiful verses of the Qur'an which I think quite a lot of people missed.

Like I mentioned, Allah commands us to do a lot more than that and it's just some scholars call this verses the ten commandments because the it gives important commands from Allah. If you don't want to call it the ten commandments, that's completely fine. It's not like there is a consensus on the issue and it's not important that there should be one. Just read the verses and reflect on them. That was my intention.
Our deen is the the Qur'an and the Sunnah according to the understanding of the righteous predecessors. And we don't accept certain verses and reject the others. All of Allah's message and commands to us through the prophet (peace and blessing be upon him) is important.

Ma Salam
Re: Does Islam Have Ten Commandments? by ayatt(m): 4:17pm On Feb 17, 2017
masha Allah
Re: Does Islam Have Ten Commandments? by Wiseandtrue(f): 5:00pm On Feb 17, 2017
grin[quote author=babs01 post=53794600][/quote]
Re: Does Islam Have Ten Commandments? by herkeym001(m): 7:46pm On Feb 17, 2017
Masha Allah

(1) (Reply)

The One Who Becomes Angry When An Affliction Befalls Him / Beneficial Words From Ibn Qayyim / Salam Brothers And Sisters, We Have To Beware Of This Man Called "alagbara Omi"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.