Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,287 members, 7,860,672 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 02:07 PM

Babalola: We’re Looking For Gas To Meet 6,000mw Target - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Babalola: We’re Looking For Gas To Meet 6,000mw Target (856 Views)

Power Crisis: Nigeria Lacks Gas To Generate 7,000MW —osinbajo / Zero Megawatt: 10,000mw Target Achievable By 2019 —fashola / Power: FG To Meet 10, 000mw Target By December – Minister (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Babalola: We’re Looking For Gas To Meet 6,000mw Target by Nobody: 4:25am On Nov 14, 2009
http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=159731

The Minister of Power, Rilwan Babalola yesterday said the fedeereal government was still looking for gas to power some of the recently completed gas-powered generating plants across the country.
The minister who was on in Port Harcourt to inspect state of the power and gas stations in the area expressed concern that the shortage of gas remained a major threat to stable electricity supply in the country.
“I have been looking for gas because gas is the thing that all the stations need to run on. We had challenges in the past; so many things happened at the same time.
“Some had to do with additional structures to move out the volume of gas and some with the issue of militancy but we are working with a lot of companies like the NNPC to get the gas.
“Initially, there were some setbacks in the Niger Delta but things are getting better now. Contractors are back on the project sites, so we hope there will be improvement in gas supply.
“There was some lost time but we are working to recover that lost time and we have started seeing improvement in the supply of gas,” the minister added.
He disclosed that all hands have been on deck to resolve the issues.
Babalola also said the Sapele and Omotosho thermal power stations have witnessed increased generation due to improved gas supply in the last few weeks.
“The Omotosho power plant which has been running on a very low capacity now has an increase in output from 150 megawatts to 220 megawatts. So also does the Sapele plant. This means there is improvement in gas supply and power generation,” Babalola pointed out.
The minister said all indicators were pointing to the achievement of the federal government’s projected 6,000 megawatts by December, “especially with the completion of evacuation capacity upgrade at the transmission yard in Afam, Rivers State.”
Babalola also used the opportunity to inspect power and gas stations at Okoloma, Oyigbo Local Government Area of Rivers State and to address the issue of conflicting claims between the Power Holding Nigeria and Shell Petroleum Development Company, owners of the Afam VI Power Station over the inability of the former to evacuate power into the transmission grid.
“I am satisfied with the state of what I saw here. Everything is working well. The transmission network has the capacity to wheel out all the power generated here to Alaoji and Port Harcourt.
“Presently, we have more capacity to evacuate all the power generated from the Afam complex. We may have issues of redundancy on the line but the issue of evacuation has been addressed,” the minister said after inspecting the facilities.
When the minister met with officials of the two companies, he advised them to hold a joint briefing on the situation to the press “to avoid conflicting claims with respect to capacity.”
Re: Babalola: We’re Looking For Gas To Meet 6,000mw Target by Kobojunkie: 4:36am On Nov 14, 2009
Looking for gas? That's a good one. lol

Where these power plants from the last administration or where these plants part of projects started by the current administration?
Re: Babalola: We’re Looking For Gas To Meet 6,000mw Target by puskin: 6:47am On Nov 14, 2009
Is he looking for gas or is he looking for an excuse why the FG will not be able to meet their target.
Re: Babalola: We’re Looking For Gas To Meet 6,000mw Target by globalaid(m): 10:11am On Nov 14, 2009
yeye people, are you just waking up or what?
Re: Babalola: We’re Looking For Gas To Meet 6,000mw Target by back2back(f): 10:15am On Nov 14, 2009
Looking for GAS, I guess they need 'light' to find the Gas!

And since OBJ has stolen $16bill meant to provide the light; they will never be able to find the GAS.

what a country!
Re: Babalola: We’re Looking For Gas To Meet 6,000mw Target by Sagamite(m): 10:22am On Nov 14, 2009
Some of you should stop being ignorant and should stop using rumours as assertions (B2B especially, take note).

If you ahd been following the economic news, you would be aware that apparently OBJ's government had auctioned Nigeria's gas production off til the year 2015 or so with the best intentions for revenue generation but poor analysis of Nigeria's own demand for gas.

That is why this current government are looking for gas to power power generation.
Re: Babalola: We’re Looking For Gas To Meet 6,000mw Target by OPCman: 1:34pm On Nov 14, 2009
Babalola: We’re Looking For Gas To Meet 6,000mw Target

cheesy cheesy grin grin shocked shocked
Re: Babalola: We’re Looking For Gas To Meet 6,000mw Target by citizenY(m): 2:35pm On Nov 14, 2009
We are also looking for ministers, legislators and PRESIDENTS cool cool cool cool cool with our cutlasses
Re: Babalola: We’re Looking For Gas To Meet 6,000mw Target by bibiking1(m): 9:33pm On Nov 14, 2009
so soon
That's weird! I thought the excuses would start pouring in from say mid december??
Anyway, the earlier the better
Re: Babalola: We’re Looking For Gas To Meet 6,000mw Target by Beaf: 9:41pm On Nov 14, 2009
. . .We burn off [size=14pt]$3 billion[/size] worth of gas every year in gas flares in the ND.
Re: Babalola: We’re Looking For Gas To Meet 6,000mw Target by SapeleGuy: 9:48pm On Nov 14, 2009
Babalola - eye dey pain you? The gas dey Warri, Sapele, Ughelli, PH, Bonny and other Niger Delta areas. Come and take.
Re: Babalola: We’re Looking For Gas To Meet 6,000mw Target by Sagamite(m): 1:09am On Nov 15, 2009
Beaf:

. . .We burn off [size=14pt]$3 billion[/size] worth of gas every year in gas flares in the ND.

Do we have any other option when the morons like IBB and Abacha could not plan for capturing and selling it earlier but were busy looting?
Re: Babalola: We’re Looking For Gas To Meet 6,000mw Target by Nobody: 1:16am On Nov 15, 2009
Can anyone find the gas?
Re: Babalola: We’re Looking For Gas To Meet 6,000mw Target by Sagamite(m): 5:27pm On Nov 15, 2009
davidylan:

Can anyone find the gas?

They would have to rebuy in the open market from willing sellers (which would be few) at a much higher cost than if they had used their own.

Or risk law suits by cancelling selling agreements in place til 2015.

Pure cost and benefits analysis.
Re: Babalola: We’re Looking For Gas To Meet 6,000mw Target by Jakumo(m): 6:15pm On Nov 15, 2009
davidylan:

Can anyone find the gas?

ha ha Fortunately I never have any
Re: Babalola: We’re Looking For Gas To Meet 6,000mw Target by MrCrackles(m): 6:23pm On Nov 15, 2009
Topic
Last year alone, we flared 15bn cubic meters of gas. . .
How about harnessing the gas from the flare to fire the country's power stations
Rilwan Babalola, a very young man like me will do a better job. . .  grin
The technology is straightforward. .
What about the gas that has been gathered since 2000 or is it not true that $3Bn has been spent on that?
Where have they been storing it. . . .
This shit right here is hard fact. . . . The idiots we have as leaders are fucking clueless!!!!!
Hit me up Babalola and i will help sort out the mess you and other failed leaders have created!!!
cool
Re: Babalola: We’re Looking For Gas To Meet 6,000mw Target by Sagamite(m): 7:17pm On Nov 16, 2009
MrCrackles:

Topic
Last year alone, we flared 15bn cubic meters of gas. . .
How about harnessing the gas from the flare to fire the country's power stations
Rilwan Babalola, a very young man like me will do a better job. . .  grin
The technology is straightforward. .
What about the gas that has been gathered since 2000 or is it not true that $3Bn has been spent on that?
Where have they been storing it. . . .
This shit right here is hard fact. . . . The idiots we have as leaders are fucking clueless!!!!!
Hit me up Babalola and i will help sort out the mess you and other failed leaders have created!!!
cool

And when you engaged your brain, no part of it told you that it takes time to purchase, build and operate the infrastructure to harness the gas?
Re: Babalola: We’re Looking For Gas To Meet 6,000mw Target by MrCrackles(m): 7:48pm On Nov 16, 2009
Sagamite:

And when you engaged your brain, no part of it told you that it takes time to purchase, build and operate the infrastructure to harness the gas?
I thought you said you were done with me grin
Purchasing, building, operating and maintaining the infrastructures to harness the flared gas is not rocket science.
What more time do they need since 2000? shocked grin
Or do you think the turnaround time is 10 metusalah years or five donkey years?
Call Babalola for me, i dont owe you any further explanations. . . .  grin
Get off my back or eat a dic.k!
Peace old man!!!! cool
Re: Babalola: We’re Looking For Gas To Meet 6,000mw Target by Sagamite(m): 7:52pm On Nov 16, 2009
MrCrackles:

I thought you said you were done with me grin
Purchasing, building, operating and maintaining the infrastructures to harness the flared gas is not rocket science.
What more time do you need since 2000? shocked grin
Call Babalola for me, i dont owe you any further explanations. . . . grin
Get off my back or eat a dic.k!
Peace old man!!!! cool

You are dim. Stop blaming a present minister for what you think was not done in 2000.

Your likes like to criticise Nigerian officials you are not even half as intelligent as.
Re: Babalola: We’re Looking For Gas To Meet 6,000mw Target by MrCrackles(m): 7:56pm On Nov 16, 2009
Sagamite:

You are dim. Stop blaming a present minister for what you think was not done in 2000.

Your likes like to criticise Nigerian officials you are not even half as intelligent as.
Yeah right whatever. . . . cool
End off for me!
Re: Babalola: We’re Looking For Gas To Meet 6,000mw Target by Radiant(f): 8:36pm On Nov 16, 2009
It's not getting better, is it? Gas my ass! kiss

(1) (Reply)

Interpol Seeks Extradition Of Rubadu, El-rufai / 24 Hrs Curfew Imposed In Jos - Rythm 93.7 Fm / Soludo Splashes N1.5million To Anambra East Lga

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.