Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,424 members, 7,822,967 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 08:30 PM

AMD's new CPU: AMD RYZEN Launches - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / AMD's new CPU: AMD RYZEN Launches (2775 Views)

Hp Envy X360 Amd Ryzen 5 2500u convertible 8gb Ram/128gbssd @ 150k / 14.7 Screen Size, 8gb Ram, 256 SATA Ssd, Amd Ryzen 5 Laptop / AMD Ryzen 3000 Series CPU And X570 Motherboard Spotted In Sisoftware Database (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

AMD's new CPU: AMD RYZEN Launches by ochukoccna: 11:42pm On Dec 13, 2016
The much awaited AMD Zen line of CPUs is currently launching today in Texas in the previously advertised New Horizon event which started around 10 pm Nigerian time. http://www.amd.com/en-us/innovations/new-horizon

The ZEN code name comes from the new AMD CPU called RYZEN, a play on the words risen.
And rise is something AMD has to do now because Intel has left their CPUs in the computing museum for a while now.
Their 1st gen Bulldozer and 2nd gen Piledriver Excavator CPU architecture dropped 4 to 5 years back, a time line that has seen Intel drop many CPU models which kick AMD's behind truly sore embarassed
While the 3rd gen Steamroller and 4th gen Excavator are more recent CPU microarchitecture, there are APU chips [AMD Accelerated Processing Unit] a mix mash of the CPU and GPU on a single chip.
And APUs are not as powerful as CPUs cool cool

Re: AMD's new CPU: AMD RYZEN Launches by ochukoccna: 12:25am On Dec 14, 2016
AMD Ryzen is been introduced by Dr Lisa Su (AMD's CEO)
She speaks about AMD SenseMI technology which is an aggregation of 5 different features Ryzen brings to the table.
The Ryzen chip introduced is a 3.4GHz+ 8 core 16 thread chip with 20MB L2 and L3 cache ,runs at 95w TDP and is benchmarked in 2 CPU stress tests (Blender & Handbrake) against the most powerful Intel consumer desktop chip, the i7 6900k which has similar specs (natively runs 3.2 GHz but can turbo to 3.7 GHz,sports 8 cores 16 threads, 20MB cache but a 145W TDP)
It runs at par with the Intel in the 1st test but but dusts the i7 in the Handbrake CPU stress test by 5 seconds
It also was at par with the i7 in gaming at 4k resolution shocked shocked
Yet note that the Ryzen chip is not running on turbo boost yet (read automatic CPU overclocking) like the Intel is.
And that the Intel costs $1050 -1100 shocked shocked
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117645

https://www.amazon.com/Intel-i7-6900K-Processor-FC-LGA14A-BX80671I76900K/dp/B01FJLAIG0

Now think of what the fine tuned finished Ryzen chip will do cool cool
If THIS BENCHMARKS are PROVABLE by tech folks other than AMD company staff, Intels' got a fight on its hands cheesy cheesy
And the winner is YOU, the end consumer
Yipee!

Re: AMD's new CPU: AMD RYZEN Launches by Nobody: 6:27am On Dec 14, 2016
AMD time to give Intel a run for their money... lol

their igara chicken is too much grin
Re: AMD's new CPU: AMD RYZEN Launches by ochukoccna: 9:08am On Dec 14, 2016
Good morning everyone
Had to catch some sleep from the night's exertions wink wink
Now back to AMD's Ryzen

AMD SenseMI technology helps the CPU sense and adapt to its environment
SenseMI means Sense Machine Intelligence
Note that Ryzen is more of a SoC (system on chip) rather than a pure CPU as their previous processor offerings
Its capable of the following

Neural Net Prediction - Use of machine learning to self learn and preload right instructions which help the machine run faster
Smart Prefetch - anticipation of data processes when needed by apps
Precision Boost - automatic processor speed adjustment
Extended Frequency Range (XFR) - automatic overclocking which varies based given thermal overhead. Higher overclocks depend on by your cooling solution
Pure Power - efficient energy usage

Re: AMD's new CPU: AMD RYZEN Launches by ochukoccna: 9:51am On Dec 14, 2016
My take on AMD's Ryzen cool cool

Based on yesterday's live demos, RYZEN is a beast of a chip
It is launching in Q1 2017 with a new AM4 motherboard platform capable of native PCIe Gen3, USB 3.1 Gen2, NVMe and SATA Express capability along with DDR4 dual channel memory support
Additionally, it is very very promising based on its benchmarking with Team Blue's best consumer chip (the 6900k)
AMD seems has taken care to avoid the debacle with its previous FX CPU line
Yesterday's saw them show off live demos of its upcoming product unlike when the FX line was touted as an Intel killer without substantiated demos
When released, it had bad reviews due to its weak single threaded performance when benchmarked against the then current 2nd and 3rd generation Intel offerings
Personally I had a 1st gen Bulldozer FX 8120 in my rig and was pleased with its performance despite the hullabaloo against the FX microarchitecture tongue tongue
I'm in the process of getting two 2nd gen FX 8350 CPUs for some projects cool cool
Yet, currently I'm running a 4th gen Haswell Intel system shocked shocked
Bottom-line is that I use what works for whatever I'm doing though AMD more often than naught tends to give one the best bang for buck over Intel
Re: AMD's new CPU: AMD RYZEN Launches by ochukoccna: 10:35am On Dec 14, 2016
Final thoughts!

AMD Ryzen has thrown the cat among the pigeons with its public demo yesterday with a CPU which isn't as power hungry yet goes toe to toe and even slightly beats Intel's current best
AMD chips have always been touted as power hungry and heat generating chips, but now the joke's on Intel grin grin
Its now left to consumers and tech buffs will confirm or disprove this benchmarks once retail versions are out rather than yesterday's AMD engineering samples
It would BE FOOLHARDY for them to have cooked up figures especially as they are gasping for breath financially against Intel
As I said earlier, the winner is YOU the consumer
Due to AMD's lack of innovation & competition, Intel pricing strategy has been quite premium especially for their HEDT [High End Desktop] offerings
It is instructive that AMD's benchmarking with Intel's bright and brightest is to send out the message, WE ARE BACK
What would kill it would be affordable pricing for YOU and I, the end consumer cool cool
Re: AMD's new CPU: AMD RYZEN Launches by Cuteamigo1(m): 11:05am On Dec 14, 2016
op nice work, I once owned a system with AMD processor and the vga got fried because of overheating. I promised myself not to buy any of thier system again but Amma impressed with thier work lately, let's see what 2017 holds for them.
Re: AMD's new CPU: AMD RYZEN Launches by kodded(m): 11:20am On Dec 14, 2016
ochukoccna:
AMD Ryzen is been introduced by Dr Lisa Su (AMD's CEO)
She speaks about AMD SenseMI technology which is an aggregation of 5 different features Ryzen brings to the table.
The Ryzen chip introduced is a 3.4GHz+ 8 core 16 thread chip with 20MB L2 and L3 cache ,runs at 95w TDP and is benchmarked in 2 CPU stress tests (Blender & Handbrake) against the most powerful Intel consumer desktop chip, the i7 6900k which has similar specs (natively runs 3.2 GHz but can turbo to 3.7 GHz,sports 8 cores 16 threads, 20MB cache but a 145W TDP)
It runs at par with the Intel in the 1st test but but dusts the i7 in the Handbrake CPU stress test by 5 seconds
It also was at par with the i7 in gaming at 4k resolution shocked shocked
Yet note that the Ryzen chip is not running on turbo boost yet (read automatic CPU overclocking) like the Intel is.
And that the Intel costs $1050 -1100 shocked shocked
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117645

https://www.amazon.com/Intel-i7-6900K-Processor-FC-LGA14A-BX80671I76900K/dp/B01FJLAIG0

Now think of what the fine tuned finished Ryzen chip will do cool cool
If THIS BENCHMARKS are PROVABLE by tech folks other than AMD company staff, Intels' got a fight on its hands cheesy cheesy
And the winner is YOU, the end consumer
Yipee!

And please can you convert it in naira thank you smiley
Re: AMD's new CPU: AMD RYZEN Launches by ochukoccna: 12:50pm On Dec 14, 2016
kodded:

And please can you convert it in naira thank you smiley
That's 509,250 naira at today's black market rate grin grin

Cuteamigo1:
op nice work, I once owned a system with AMD processor and the vga got fried because of overheating. I promised myself not to buy any of thier system again but Amma impressed with thier work lately, let's see what 2017 holds for them.
Sorry to hear that
Probably you didn't cool it properly
By that I mean good thermal paste along with an above average (if not premium) air cooler
The heat some current AMD chips generate though is quite useful in temperate regions during late autumn,winter and early spring though shocked shocked
No need to crank up the wall heater grin grin

2 Likes

Re: AMD's new CPU: AMD RYZEN Launches by kodded(m): 2:02pm On Dec 14, 2016
ochukoccna:

That's 509,250 naira at today's black market rate grin grin
See as you dey smile dey talk the money angry angry embarassed

Sorry to hear that
Probably you didn't cool it properly
By that I mean good thermal paste along with an above average (if not premium) air cooler
The heat some current AMD chips generate though is quite useful in temperate regions during late autumn,winter and early spring though shocked shocked
No need to crank up the wall heater grin grin
Re: AMD's new CPU: AMD RYZEN Launches by computerboy: 6:29pm On Dec 14, 2016
I've always got my eyes on what next AMD got to offer. The next system unit I'm going to build, I'll definitely use an AMD CPU.

kudos OP
Re: AMD's new CPU: AMD RYZEN Launches by ochukoccna: 8:49am On Jan 12, 2017
computerboy:
I've always got my eyes on what next AMD got to offer. The next system unit I'm going to build, I'll definitely use an AMD CPU.

kudos OP

I see you are into disposing of high end laptops, so it means you have access to Benjamin Franklins
For you will need over a thousand of him especially if you are aiming at the top tier Ryzen chips
It won't come cheap yet it would be worth it seeing techie journalists who've had hands on access to Ryzen and Vega [AMD's upcoming GPU line] demos at CES 2017 are really impressed and confirming its trading blows with the best of Intel's sixth gen Skylake architecture CPU line-up cool cool
And don't forget that the new 7th gen Kabylake is just a slight optimization of the previous Skylake architecture
If AMD gets their pricing and branding right, they could be in for a killing in the HEDT market shocked shocked
Re: AMD's new CPU: AMD RYZEN Launches by computerboy: 9:07am On Jan 12, 2017
ochukoccna:

I see you are into disposing of high end laptops, so it means you have access to Benjamin Franklins
For you will need over a thousand of him especially if you are aiming at the top tier Ryzen chips
It won't come cheap yet it would be worth it seeing techie journalists who've had hands on access to Ryzen and Vega [AMD's upcoming GPU line] demos at CES 2017 are really impressed and confirming its trading blows with the best of Intel's sixth gen Skylake architecture CPU line-up cool cool
And don't forget that the new 7th gen Kabylake is just a slight optimization of the previous Skylake architecture
If AMD gets their pricing and branding right, they could be in for a killing in the HEDT market shocked shocked

Nope I wasn't talking about the Ryzen chips. Those would worth more than a plot of land. I'm just getting from the earlier models. I said I will use AMD because many Nigerians (including me) have been avoiding AMD processors. I recently figured we're all judging them using their old processor series. I am currently using hp 15 with AMD A4 processor and it more than cool. No heating, runs graphics well and is fast too.

For the HEDT market, AMD is already in. I see AMD PCs costing more than Intel in the next 3 years
Re: AMD's new CPU: AMD RYZEN Launches by Singapore1(m): 2:20pm On Jan 12, 2017
computerboy:

Nope I wasn't talking about the Ryzen chips. Those would worth more than a plot of land. I'm just getting from the earlier models. I said I will use AMD because many Nigerians (including me) have been avoiding AMD processors. I recently figured we're all judging them using their old processor series. I am currently using hp 15 with AMD A4 processor and it more than cool. No heating, runs graphics well and is fast too.

For the HEDT market, AMD is already in. I see AMD PCs costing more than Intel in the next 3 years
I used the AMD firepro series
And I must say..AMD is underrated
No heat.. Flawless
Re: AMD's new CPU: AMD RYZEN Launches by computerboy: 2:28pm On Jan 12, 2017
Singapore1:

No heat.. Flawless

Exactly. I always say it, AMD is very underrated in Nigeria. We could save money buying AMD A series laptops instead of killing ourselves for the over-priced Intel processors with dedicated cards as they give similar results
Re: AMD's new CPU: AMD RYZEN Launches by ochukoccna: 10:08am On Jan 24, 2017
computerboy:

With RYZEN, there are provided the numbers stack up
Many tech content creators (even die hard Intel fan boys) who have tried out Ryzen and Vega demos have positive words for the platform
Only that many end users are still skeptical due to AMD FX CPU lineup over-promising and underdelivering
For example the 1st gen FX Bulldozer chips gave tremendous heat and had weak individual core performance which the 2nd gen Vishera rectified moderately
That said, Ryzen has to start shipping soon so as to build on the buzz it has generated and gain financial traction for them

Regarding your thoughts about earlier models, look to get the 8 thread FX 83xx series CPUs and a motherboard sporting the 990Fx/990x chipset to get the best performance. Also know you'll need to get a seperate graphics card to run this set up
Though you could also step down to the cheaper FX 63xx and a motherboard running the 970x chipset but performance will take a hit
But if you are into strictly gaming and general computing tasks, look to the APUs and the A series chipsets

Re: AMD's new CPU: AMD RYZEN Launches by ochukoccna: 10:30am On Jan 24, 2017
computerboy:

Exactly. I always say it, AMD is very underrated in Nigeria. We could save money buying AMD A series laptops instead of killing ourselves for the over-priced Intel processors with dedicated cards as they give similar results
Singapore1:

No heat.. Flawless

True!
Also AMD has a bad rep of overheating from past years which many still ascribe to them

by the way @ computerboy, do you know where I can get thermal adhesive/glue to buy
See pix.
Need to attach heatsinks to cool the VRMs on a motherboard and a graphics card
Cheers!

Re: AMD's new CPU: AMD RYZEN Launches by computerboy: 10:51am On Jan 24, 2017
ochukoccna:

True!
Also AMD has a bad rep of overheating from past years which many still ascribe to them

by the way @ computerboy, do you know where I can get thermal adhesive/glue to buy
See pix.
Need to attach heatsinks to cool the VRMs on a motherboard and a graphics card
Cheers!

There's a glue I use here. I've forgotten the name. Just go to Computer village if you're in lagos but if you don't see it then go to where they sell car spare parts, you'll see a lot of similar adhesives to choose from
Re: AMD's new CPU: AMD RYZEN Launches by ochukoccna: 12:17pm On Feb 16, 2017
Thanks man
Walked the computer village and drew blanks as I had expected I would
Eventually I had to get Arctic adhesive from Amazon
Cheers man
N:B
Nigeria is said a large IT market but its not very sophisticated IMHO, in fact rudimentary
Many of the peeps there are just traders
Ask for basic elementary things and brand names you'd get just by walking into computer shops to get in mid sized UK cities is a no no over there
Even South Africa is not like this
Over here na wetin you see for market dem go hassle you to buy
Big Shame! embarassed embarassed

(1) (Reply)

Can I Remove A Virus Without Antivirus Software? / 3.5g Hsdpa Universal Internet Modem For As Low As N5,799 / Help Please. I Mistakenlly Deleted Someone's Wedding Video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.