Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,554 members, 7,812,774 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:05 PM

Whose Responsibility Is It To Empty The Septic Tank? Landlord Or Tenant? - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Whose Responsibility Is It To Empty The Septic Tank? Landlord Or Tenant? (25387 Views)

What Is Your Worst Experience With A Landlord Or Landlady? / Who Is To Pay Tenement Rate: Landlord Or Tenant? / Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Empty The Septic Tank? Landlord Or Tenant? by mikkypel(m): 10:05pm On Dec 14, 2016
There is what we call structural and Statutory nuisance..The structural nuisance is meant for the landlord.. They include dilapidated wall,sagging ceiling, broken floors..anything that is structural in the house but when it comes to statutory like overgrown weeds,receptacles,dirty environment, it becomes a collective responsibility ie the owner and occupier..To me when a septic tank is filled up..It is a collective responsibility except if the Landlord doesn't live there or an agreement has been reached...They have to come together and find a solution but this is Nigeria,we believe since the Landlord collects rent..Then it's his responsibility but under normal circums,it's a collective responsibility

3 Likes

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Empty The Septic Tank? Landlord Or Tenant? by KiNiBiGd: 10:05pm On Dec 14, 2016
Na all of una shit dey inside grin
Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Empty The Septic Tank? Landlord Or Tenant? by izzy4shizzy(m): 10:06pm On Dec 14, 2016
My brother, if u wait for responsibility, nothing in life would be achieved...just do what u can, when u can and forget the rest

1 Like

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Empty The Septic Tank? Landlord Or Tenant? by Nobody: 10:07pm On Dec 14, 2016
nepapole:
I greet all landlords and tenants in the house. Pls I need your opinion on whose responsibility it is, to empty or sort out the issue of filled up soak away/septic tank.

Who fill am?

There is a law that guides launching anything into the space:
I paraphrase: Before launching anything into the space, you must have a system that will bring it back to the earth.

So before filling the soak-away, septic tank, and chambers, make sure that you will be able to evacuate the bullshit sorry human-shit.
Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Empty The Septic Tank? Landlord Or Tenant? by Lexusgs430: 10:07pm On Dec 14, 2016
nepapole:
I greet all landlords and tenants in the house. Pls I need your opinion on whose responsibility it is, to empty or sort out the issue of filled up soak away/septic tank.

Its part of the maintenance schedule of the property. Who maintains the property ? The landlord or tenant ?

1 Like

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Empty The Septic Tank? Landlord Or Tenant? by ndcide(m): 10:10pm On Dec 14, 2016
It's the landlord.

Besides, most landlord for Lagos here no dey do agreement. Na only to collect agreement money.

Imagine collecting agreement fee, without agreement being signed.

1 Like

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Empty The Septic Tank? Landlord Or Tenant? by Lexusgs430: 10:10pm On Dec 14, 2016
mikkypel:
There is what we call structural and Statutory nuisance..The structural nuisance is meant for the landlord.. They include dilapidated wall,sagging ceiling, broken floors..anything that is structural in the house but when it comes to statutory like overgrown weeds,receptacles,dirty environment, it becomes a collective responsibility ie the owner and occupier..To me when a septic tank is filled up..It is a collective responsibility except if the Landlord doesn't live there or an agreement has been reached...They have to come together and find a solution but this is Nigeria,we believe since the Landlord collects rent..Then it's his responsibility but under normal circums,it's a collective responsibility

If the tenant fails to empty the septic tank and moves out. Would the landlord rent the property to a new tenant with a full septic tank ?

3 Likes

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Empty The Septic Tank? Landlord Or Tenant? by eagleeye2: 10:12pm On Dec 14, 2016
mikkypel:
Am yet to see a Landlord that will evacuate the Septic Tank alone as his sole responsibility.
A lot of juveniles are in here running their mouths.... "it's the landlord". Funny kids.
It's even stated in most tenancy agreement that the evacuation of the 'laterine' is one of the duties expected of a tenant.

2 Likes

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Empty The Septic Tank? Landlord Or Tenant? by mikkypel(m): 10:12pm On Dec 14, 2016
Lexusgs430:

If the tenant fails to empty the septic tank and moves out. Would the landlord rent the property to a new tenant with a full septic tank ?

Your question is another thing entirely, if the Tennant moves out,then the Landlord takes the responsibility
Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Empty The Septic Tank? Landlord Or Tenant? by godlovesyou77: 10:15pm On Dec 14, 2016
nepapole:

No legal provision regarding this matter. However common sense demands that the tenant does that cos it was not the landlord feaces that got it to that level. If the landlord doesn't pay for waste why should he pay for ur internal waste. This is my opinion. As tenants we ve done tht without notifying landlord

1 Like

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Empty The Septic Tank? Landlord Or Tenant? by Burgerlomo: 10:15pm On Dec 14, 2016
It's the Landlord responsibilty to empty the tank, it doesn't matter if he/she uses it or not

1 Like

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Empty The Septic Tank? Landlord Or Tenant? by eagleeye2: 10:16pm On Dec 14, 2016
Lexusgs430:

A full septic tank will surely start giving out offensive odour and may constitute a health hazard. So a reasonable person will keep inhaling this smell because he or she is waiting for the landlord or will start searching for another accommodation because of a full septic tank.
Which is more difficult, keeping the house you live in a tentable condition or going house hunting?

1 Like

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Empty The Septic Tank? Landlord Or Tenant? by Originalsly: 10:17pm On Dec 14, 2016
Hmmm.... let's reason this one out. If you think it's the tenant's responsibility to empty the septic tank because it's his poo... then ask yourself.... when the tenant took up residence... was the septic tank empty?....or did he take note of where the old tenant's poo stopped and his would begin?.... and at the end of his lease... does he have to move with his poo? If the answer is no ... then it is not his responsibility... it is that of the landlord unless he made an arrangement with the landlord. Waste disposal... landlord's responsibility.

5 Likes

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Empty The Septic Tank? Landlord Or Tenant? by Nobody: 10:19pm On Dec 14, 2016
nepapole:
landlord should also pay your electricity bill and water bill for you abi because u paid house rent.
Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Empty The Septic Tank? Landlord Or Tenant? by eagleeye2: 10:19pm On Dec 14, 2016
godlovesyou77:

No legal provision regarding this matter. However common sense demands that the tenant does that cos it was not the landlord feaces that got it to that level. If the landlord doesn't pay for waste why should he pay for ur internal waste. This is my opinion. As tenants we ve done tht without notifying landlord

It is stated in most Tenancy agreement, unless it wasn't a lawyer that prepared the agreement.
Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Empty The Septic Tank? Landlord Or Tenant? by eagleeye2: 10:20pm On Dec 14, 2016
udy821:
landlord should also pay your electricity bill and water bill for you abi because u paid house rent.
Gbam.
Gbamer
Gbamest
Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Empty The Septic Tank? Landlord Or Tenant? by MrMr(m): 10:22pm On Dec 14, 2016
landlord and tenant ar supposed to be wel familiar wit some term wen it come to tenancy agreement. lemme jux run tru few of dem very fast.
1. IRI. which means internal repairing and insuring. this agreement simply connotes that d tenant is responsible for any internal damages/responsibility While d landlord is responsible for d external ones
2. FRI. which means fully repairing and insuring. in this type, d tenant is responsible for all d damages both internal nd external.
3. FRT. fully repairing term. here d landlord is responsible for all responsibilities...
pls in other to eliminate unforseen fracas between landlord and tenant I wil suggest dey both understand d terms of tenancy agreement.... or better stil consult a relaible surveyor/ manager....
08069219497 for more explanation
Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Empty The Septic Tank? Landlord Or Tenant? by phantom24: 10:22pm On Dec 14, 2016
If its a single room then the responsibility will be for all the users but if its a comfortable apartments, its usually included in the landlords responsibility.
Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Empty The Septic Tank? Landlord Or Tenant? by realomonile: 10:23pm On Dec 14, 2016
Both
Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Empty The Septic Tank? Landlord Or Tenant? by uzuede4(f): 10:26pm On Dec 14, 2016
Elchappo:
Landlord follow una sh1t am

tenants could be funny oooo, why would a landlord pack tenants sh1t even those wey dey pay 20k per annum com sh1t 100k sh1t...
No be small tin angry
Elchappo:
Landlord follow una sh1t am

tenants could be funny oooo, why would a landlord pack tenants sh1t even those wey dey pay 20k per annum com sh1t 100k sh1t...
No be small tin

1 Like

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Empty The Septic Tank? Landlord Or Tenant? by uzuede4(f): 10:28pm On Dec 14, 2016
kennygee:
Let he who owns the Sh!t be the packer of the sh!t.
Gbam grin
kennygee:
Gbam
Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Empty The Septic Tank? Landlord Or Tenant? by archipelago: 10:29pm On Dec 14, 2016
Was Landlord part of the people that filled the septic tank with faeces? If no, the tenant should clear the filled up septic tank.
Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Empty The Septic Tank? Landlord Or Tenant? by Eleniyan15: 10:33pm On Dec 14, 2016
base on the informal education I learnt
it the landlord and the tenant that should both pay for the house even I have a brother who his a landlord if tenant are contributing 4k he would contribute 5-6k But if the landlord is not living with them then definitely it the tenant that should pay for it!!!!!!! chikena

I WILL NEVER GIVE HOUSE TO AN IGBO MAN SOME OF THE THEY ARE DEVIL PLEASESSS IF YOU DO DONT LOOSE GUARD THEY AINT CULTURED
Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Empty The Septic Tank? Landlord Or Tenant? by Nickymezor(f): 10:34pm On Dec 14, 2016
The former now, no b him get the house in d first place.
Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Empty The Septic Tank? Landlord Or Tenant? by Lexusgs430: 10:34pm On Dec 14, 2016
mikkypel:

Your question is another thing entirely, if the Tennant moves out,then the Landlord takes the responsibility

And within your answer, lays my point.

1 Like

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Empty The Septic Tank? Landlord Or Tenant? by Lexusgs430: 10:37pm On Dec 14, 2016
eagleeye2:

A full septic tank will surely start giving out offensive odour and may constitute a health hazard. So a reasonable person will keep inhaling this smell because he or she is waiting for the landlord or will start searching for another accommodation because of a full septic tank.
Which is more difficult, keeping the house you live in a tentable condition or going house hunting?

To some tenants, house hunting and moving is a better option.
Would the landlord empty the septic tank?

1 Like

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Empty The Septic Tank? Landlord Or Tenant? by Charly68: 10:38pm On Dec 14, 2016
Whoever uses it must empty it...it is a simple matter. .Do you use your current and ask the landlord to come and pay your bills ?

1 Like

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Empty The Septic Tank? Landlord Or Tenant? by Laple0541(m): 10:40pm On Dec 14, 2016
Omo onile
Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Empty The Septic Tank? Landlord Or Tenant? by Nickymezor(f): 10:40pm On Dec 14, 2016
kennygee:
grin grin ur funny o
Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Empty The Septic Tank? Landlord Or Tenant? by Nobody: 10:41pm On Dec 14, 2016
This is Nigeria, Landlords responsibility is to collect rent!! If you like stay there waiting for Landlord while septic tank fills up and stinks your compound
Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Empty The Septic Tank? Landlord Or Tenant? by bigtt76(f): 10:52pm On Dec 14, 2016
Th3 sanitary responsibility lies with the tenants. They created it so they should manage it. It's just like telling the landlord to come and be clearing your garbage... It is wrong grin

lekankolade:
It's landord's responsibility except there's existing agreement that stated otherwise between the two parties....
Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Empty The Septic Tank? Landlord Or Tenant? by sampark201: 10:54pm On Dec 14, 2016
The landlord shit with una for inside house?? so your toilet issue don dey inside house rent ? Him for pay una light bills for una self...
nepapole:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Lagos To Introduce Monthly Payment On Housing / Buy Original Floor And Wall Tiles(spanish Tiles) / BBC Replies - "Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On BBC?"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.