Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,831 members, 7,810,200 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:18 PM

Whose Responsibility Is It To Empty The Septic Tank? Landlord Or Tenant? - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Whose Responsibility Is It To Empty The Septic Tank? Landlord Or Tenant? (25366 Views)

What Is Your Worst Experience With A Landlord Or Landlady? / Who Is To Pay Tenement Rate: Landlord Or Tenant? / Landlord Or Tenants: Who Is To Fix Damaged Water Pump Machine? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Whose Responsibility Is It To Empty The Septic Tank? Landlord Or Tenant? by nepapole(m): 5:41pm On Dec 14, 2016
I greet all landlords and tenants in the house. Pls I need your opinion on whose responsibility it is, to empty or sort out the issue of filled up soak away/septic tank.

1 Like

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Empty The Septic Tank? Landlord Or Tenant? by feodan: 5:46pm On Dec 14, 2016
its d tenant, since it d tenant DAT uses it

11 Likes

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Empty The Septic Tank? Landlord Or Tenant? by markpenk: 5:55pm On Dec 14, 2016
Depends... Tenants if the landlord isn't resident in the compound. Both if the landlord lives in the same compound as the tenant.

Many people tend to assume that it's the landlord's duty when the tenants use the septic tank because they feel it's included in their rents.

This is even more so when the house has had previous tenants.

I would imagine that the only scenarios where the landlord would be mandated to empty the septic tank are:

1. When tenants pay service charges
2. New tenant just moved in and the tank is full
3. When there's a written agreement that the landlord will attend to this.
4. For some reason, some landlords simply don't want tenants tampering with the structure in their homes -anyone remember the drum of dollars stashed in a soak away by one of the PDP stalwarts. In this instance, they would elect to clear the tank.

Lalasticlala, please see to this. This has caused a lot of ruckus between tenants and landlords. People should be properly educated about this.

nepapole:
I greet all landlords and tenants in the house. Pls I need your opinion on whose responsibility it is, to empty or sort out the issue of filled up soak away/septic tank.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Empty The Septic Tank? Landlord Or Tenant? by lekankolade(m): 5:56pm On Dec 14, 2016
It's landord's responsibility except there's existing agreement that stated otherwise between the two parties....

9 Likes

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Empty The Septic Tank? Landlord Or Tenant? by lawrenzi(m): 6:06pm On Dec 14, 2016
What are you saying? Buhari should be doing that, afterall tell me one good thing he has done.....

on a serious note i think it is the responsibility of the Land Lord, because i can not come and park the shit of the people i never knew... Landlord must park the shit of all the rent he collected. shikena!

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Empty The Septic Tank? Landlord Or Tenant? by nepapole(m): 7:16pm On Dec 14, 2016
feodan:
its d tenant, since it d tenant DAT uses it
Tanx for ur opinion....i also feel the same.
Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Empty The Septic Tank? Landlord Or Tenant? by nepapole(m): 7:18pm On Dec 14, 2016
markpenk:
Depends... Tenants if the landlord isn't resident in the compound. Both if the landlord lives in the same compound as the tenant.

Many people tend to assume that it's the landlord's duty when the tenants use the septic tank because they feel it's included in their rents.

This is even more so when the house has had
previous tenants.

Lalasticlala, please see to this. This has caused a lot of ruckus between tenants and landlords. People should be properly educated about this.

The landlord actually stays in the compound but uses a separate tank. With this, is it still the landlord's responsibility?

1 Like

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Empty The Septic Tank? Landlord Or Tenant? by nepapole(m): 7:20pm On Dec 14, 2016
lekankolade:
It's landord's responsibility except there's existing agreement that stated otherwise between the two parties....
The landlord doesn't use the septic tank, so I feel it shud be the tenants responsibility.

3 Likes

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Empty The Septic Tank? Landlord Or Tenant? by nepapole(m): 7:22pm On Dec 14, 2016
lawrenzi:
What are you saying? Buhari should be doing that, afterall tell me one good thing he has done.....

on a serious note i think it is the responsibility of the Land Lord, because i can not come and park the shit of the people i never knew... Landlord must park the shit of all the rent he collected. shikena!
Lol...yh I feel u but the landlord also doesn't have to pack the poo since his poo ain't part of theirs.
Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Empty The Septic Tank? Landlord Or Tenant? by lekankolade(m): 7:47pm On Dec 14, 2016
nepapole:

The landlord doesn't use the septic tank, so I feel it shud be the tenants responsibility.
Bro, when it comes to landlord and tenant responsibility in a rented apartment, there are rules and function of both parties only if it's agreed upon to act otherwise....

Interior repair of a rented apartment is to be done by tenants while exterior repair is to be carried out by landlords...

Septic tank is to be evacuated by landlords but in the case of blockage caused by the tenants, it should be done by the tenant.... _Abinito_

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Empty The Septic Tank? Landlord Or Tenant? by lekankolade(m): 7:53pm On Dec 14, 2016
KNOW YOUR RIGHT

In every lease, there is an implied warranty of habitability which requires the landlord to maintain the premises in a habitable condition by complying with local and state housing codes. When there is a breach of the implied warranty of habitability, the tenant notifies the landlord and the landlord is required to respond within a reasonable time by making the necessary repairs. When the landlord fails to respond within a reasonable time by making the necessary repairs, the tenant has the following options: The tenant can make the repairs and deduct the cost from the rent or the tenant can move out and terminate the obligation to pay rent for the balance of the term of the lease or if the tenant stays on the premises, the tenant can withhold rent and defend against eviction. Another alternative is for the tenant to sue the landlord for breach of the implied warranty of habitability. The septic tank backing up is a health and safety issue and therefore constitutes a breach of the implied warranty of habitability. It would also be advisable to contact the local housing code inspector who can pursue enforcement of the housing code and require the landlord to repair/replace the septic tank.

35 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Empty The Septic Tank? Landlord Or Tenant? by Nobody: 9:55pm On Dec 14, 2016

If you enter a Taxi and the Taxi gets a flat tire, who changes the tire ?? The driver or the passenger ??

If you buy a bus/vehicle for the sole purpose of transportation and the vehicle needs servicing, who pays the mechanic to service the engine ?? The owner or the bus driver ??

The only reason that would make a tenant take care of the septic tank is if the tenant is on a Rent to owe (the tenant pays the monthly rent for 8 years and then the house becomes his/hers) contract

11 Likes

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Empty The Septic Tank? Landlord Or Tenant? by azpekuliar: 9:56pm On Dec 14, 2016
It depends on what is stated in the Tenancy Agreement. However, in a standard Tenancy Agreement, it is the tenant's responsibility.

It is common sense really, the tenant's faeces was what filled the septic tank, so why should the landlord be called to dislodge it?

It is a different case if the walls of the septic tank or soakaway pit have collapsed. Then ofcourse it becomes the landlord's responsibility to repair only after the tenant has first evacuated the septic tank.

7 Likes

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Empty The Septic Tank? Landlord Or Tenant? by Elchappo: 9:57pm On Dec 14, 2016
Landlord follow una sh1t am

tenants could be funny oooo, why would a landlord pack tenants sh1t even those wey dey pay 20k per annum com sh1t 100k sh1t...

11 Likes

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Empty The Septic Tank? Landlord Or Tenant? by humilitypays(m): 9:57pm On Dec 14, 2016
It's are the tenantses that must removes the shit na becauses they are the peoples that shit it, while waitings for landlords

2 Likes

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Empty The Septic Tank? Landlord Or Tenant? by frankloloko: 9:57pm On Dec 14, 2016
Depends the area . Mainland tenant . Iceland landlord . We'll let see how Buhari will end . With what tinubu did to me . All I can do is to friend Yoruba girls and feed them with lies untill 2019 .

1 Like

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Empty The Septic Tank? Landlord Or Tenant? by Nobody: 9:57pm On Dec 14, 2016
Buhari

See ibeere
Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Empty The Septic Tank? Landlord Or Tenant? by babasolo(m): 9:58pm On Dec 14, 2016
Landlord wont even want to hear that stuff...him the follow una shiiiitttttt...

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Empty The Septic Tank? Landlord Or Tenant? by pharmadoctor(m): 9:59pm On Dec 14, 2016
Its the landlord's responsibility....but no all of them are responsible and responsive. They show up only when your rent is due.
If you rent an hotel, would they ask you to come and evacuate septic tank?
Why would the landlord ask a tenant for septic tank evacuation after he had valued the apartment and facilities before giving me the price?

8 Likes

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Empty The Septic Tank? Landlord Or Tenant? by Nobody: 9:59pm On Dec 14, 2016
Landlord. He's the owner of the property.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Empty The Septic Tank? Landlord Or Tenant? by dhardline(m): 9:59pm On Dec 14, 2016
Those who use it must contribute toward emptying it.

3 Likes

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Empty The Septic Tank? Landlord Or Tenant? by seunny4lif(m): 9:59pm On Dec 14, 2016
grin grin
All those boiz living in Lekki and Ajah no dey shit in Nigeria but those in Aba can tell you the answer cos na Bush we get for where my house dey grin
So, I'm not understanding grin

1 Like

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Empty The Septic Tank? Landlord Or Tenant? by Nobody: 9:59pm On Dec 14, 2016
Let he who owns the Sh!t be the packer of the sh!t.

2 Likes

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Empty The Septic Tank? Landlord Or Tenant? by IamUdo(m): 9:59pm On Dec 14, 2016
Landlord.

1 Like

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Empty The Septic Tank? Landlord Or Tenant? by Pylony(m): 10:00pm On Dec 14, 2016
I no dey this una toilet matter but i do love visiting the comfort room when nature calls, besides every body including miss world dey check that room no pretence jare...grin
Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Empty The Septic Tank? Landlord Or Tenant? by lsoul: 10:00pm On Dec 14, 2016
is just like saying it's the landlord's responsibility to empty your trash can.
you use it, you pay for it.

Some tenants sef

4 Likes

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Empty The Septic Tank? Landlord Or Tenant? by Goldenboy007(m): 10:01pm On Dec 14, 2016
Whose shit is it? If it's joint then both landlord and tenant should be responsible ! It's like asking ..who throws the garbage away.

1 Like

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Empty The Septic Tank? Landlord Or Tenant? by Femich18(m): 10:02pm On Dec 14, 2016
Tenants nah. Aren't they the ones using it? Common go and pack your shit

1 Like

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Empty The Septic Tank? Landlord Or Tenant? by celestialAgent(m): 10:03pm On Dec 14, 2016
Whatever happens to the maintenance fee paid to the landlord.

But if the tenants no pay maintenance fee, oga landlord, break the soakaway more so the smell can reset their brains..

2 Likes

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Empty The Septic Tank? Landlord Or Tenant? by naijainfogalery: 10:03pm On Dec 14, 2016
Do you keep your trash for your landlord to take care of it after using ?

packing the septic tank is a service just like paying NEPA bills, security, LAWMA, cleaning etc If the landlord lives in the house, Its gonna be a joint payment else the tenants will take care of their shiiits

2 Likes

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Empty The Septic Tank? Landlord Or Tenant? by Nobody: 10:04pm On Dec 14, 2016
Na my responsibility.....
Wait for me .. grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Whose Responsibility Is It To Empty The Septic Tank? Landlord Or Tenant? by Lexusgs430: 10:05pm On Dec 14, 2016
nepapole:

Landlord

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Buy Original Floor And Wall Tiles(spanish Tiles) / BBC Replies - "Ever Seen A Well-Built African House On BBC?" / Lagos To Introduce Monthly Payment On Housing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.