Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,703 members, 7,809,673 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:51 PM

"76" Movie Sweeps 14 AMVCA Nominations, Which Is An All Time Record - TV/Movies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / "76" Movie Sweeps 14 AMVCA Nominations, Which Is An All Time Record (18412 Views)

AMVCA 2020 Full List Of Winners / AMVCA 2020 Nominations List / AMVCA 2018 Full List Of Winners (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "76" Movie Sweeps 14 AMVCA Nominations, Which Is An All Time Record by fippycbk(m): 2:48pm On Dec 15, 2016
realborn:
Though the movie was too centered on one family than the extensive details of the 1976 coup, it was a brilliant cinematography and acting from the team, especially Ramsey and Rita.

There was a bitchy character in the movie who also gave me a whole lotta joy. She is damn fineeeee. wink smiley

A good movie to watch.

All the best cast and crew!

The movie was about the family. Going into details concerning the coup might not go down well with the Nigerian Army.

3 Likes

Re: "76" Movie Sweeps 14 AMVCA Nominations, Which Is An All Time Record by laudate: 2:57pm On Dec 15, 2016
realborn:
Though the movie was too centered on one family than the extensive details of the 1976 coup, it was a brilliant cinematography and acting from the team, especially Ramsey and Rita.

There was a bitchy character in the movie who also gave me a whole lotta joy. She is damn fineeeee. wink smiley

A good movie to watch.

All the best to the cast and crew!

When will it start showing in the local cinemas? Can't seem to find any listings in Lagos-based cinemas for this movie... undecided
Re: "76" Movie Sweeps 14 AMVCA Nominations, Which Is An All Time Record by Nobody: 3:08pm On Dec 15, 2016
I'm not a fan of Nollywood but this 76 movie is the bomb... next to see is dinner
Re: "76" Movie Sweeps 14 AMVCA Nominations, Which Is An All Time Record by safarigirl(f): 3:15pm On Dec 15, 2016
Orikinla:
OP, stop jiving. '76 is good thriller only by Nollywood standards. Have you read the review by the Hollywood Reporter?
9. Best Film (West Africa) Why did it not make Best Film Africa?
so, you no see 'Best Overall Film" for there ko?
Re: "76" Movie Sweeps 14 AMVCA Nominations, Which Is An All Time Record by yedidiah(m): 3:40pm On Dec 15, 2016
I need to watch this movie. The trailer is something else. Shout out to all the Nigeria Producers cooking up quality movies these days. Saw one about kidnapping recently. Movie so good
Re: "76" Movie Sweeps 14 AMVCA Nominations, Which Is An All Time Record by Nobody: 3:40pm On Dec 15, 2016
I watched the movie in a cinema, its very interesting.
Re: "76" Movie Sweeps 14 AMVCA Nominations, Which Is An All Time Record by homesteady(m): 3:52pm On Dec 15, 2016
laudate:

When will it start showing in the local cinemas? Can't seem to find any listings in Lagos-based cinemas for this movie... undecided

I don't stay in Lagos, but I know it has been showing! The cast members have been visiting cinemas sef!
Re: "76" Movie Sweeps 14 AMVCA Nominations, Which Is An All Time Record by homesteady(m): 3:56pm On Dec 15, 2016
VcStunner:
Good job people... good job

AY's 30days in Atlanta has re-ignited some creativity into our industry. And the trend of cinema-worthy movies is going to even make the competition worthwhile. Nollywood fans have been watching garbage for a long time. Where kids (mostly young girls) actually begin to act up the sh!t they see in those wack movies.
It may take me years, but I am on the verge of bringing something novel to this industry.
Congratulations to Mr. Ojukwu and the E.P. Good job
Sorry AY's film didn't reignite nothing! Quality Nollywood movies have been showing at the cinemas before 30 days in Atlanta was produced!
Re: "76" Movie Sweeps 14 AMVCA Nominations, Which Is An All Time Record by laudate: 3:57pm On Dec 15, 2016
homesteady:
I don't stay in Lagos, but I know it has been showing! The cast members have been visiting cinemas sef!

Please give us the names of the cinemas that have been showing the film in Lagos. undecided

1 Like

Re: "76" Movie Sweeps 14 AMVCA Nominations, Which Is An All Time Record by HCF(m): 3:58pm On Dec 15, 2016
I'd like to see this movie. I hope it rekindles this spark in me again because as it is, the movies I have seen at the cinemas lately left me depressed and irritated: A trip to Jamaica, When love happens again, Brother Jekwu are nothing to write home about!!!
Re: "76" Movie Sweeps 14 AMVCA Nominations, Which Is An All Time Record by Dynamicbae: 4:15pm On Dec 15, 2016
V.interesting movie!
Re: "76" Movie Sweeps 14 AMVCA Nominations, Which Is An All Time Record by Nobody: 4:30pm On Dec 15, 2016
polymathic:
I'm not a fan of Nollywood but this 76 movie is the bomb... next to see is dinner

Watched both, Nigeria is coming up...
Re: "76" Movie Sweeps 14 AMVCA Nominations, Which Is An All Time Record by Nobody: 5:02pm On Dec 15, 2016
Sacluxpaint:

Watched both, Nigeria is coming up...
I totally agree.... nollywood is making sense gradually
Re: "76" Movie Sweeps 14 AMVCA Nominations, Which Is An All Time Record by Chuknovski(m): 5:05pm On Dec 15, 2016
great movie, saw it @ silver bird Cinemas
Re: "76" Movie Sweeps 14 AMVCA Nominations, Which Is An All Time Record by Hormortaryor(m): 5:11pm On Dec 15, 2016
The movie was shot in ibadan.... Mokola barracks... I could remember seeing all these stars then... I saw the making of this movie live...
Re: "76" Movie Sweeps 14 AMVCA Nominations, Which Is An All Time Record by VcStunner(m): 5:23pm On Dec 15, 2016
homesteady:

Sorry AY's film didn't reignite nothing! Quality Nollywood movies have been showing at the cinemas before 30 days in Atlanta was produced!
I will like to know more please... and also if you will be kind enough, try to add their position in the box office and revenues each generated within a stipulated time and awards. That's if am not asking for too much. Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Re: "76" Movie Sweeps 14 AMVCA Nominations, Which Is An All Time Record by vivaciousvivi(f): 5:47pm On Dec 15, 2016
Orikinla:
OP, stop jiving.
'76 is good thriller only by Nollywood standards.
Have you read the review by the Hollywood Reporter?

9. Best Film (West Africa)
Why did it not make Best Film Africa?
Clearly you failed to see that it was nominated in the Best Film Overall category.
Re: "76" Movie Sweeps 14 AMVCA Nominations, Which Is An All Time Record by HCF(m): 6:19pm On Dec 15, 2016
VcStunner:
I will like to know more please... and also if you will be kind enough, try to add their position in the box office and revenues each generated within a stipulated time and awards. That's if am not asking for too much. Thanks in advance.
Did you just attempt to use position in box office and revenues generated to adjudge a movie?. With all due respect, that is not the right way to look at it..A good movie, be it commedy, thriller, Romance etc must be very impactful; Apart from paying attention to little technical details, such as good acting,editing,scripting lightning, etc, a good movie must appear realistic while addressing fundamental issue(s) peculiar to a people.

Indeed, the day I watched one of AY's movies, A trip to Jamaica, was the day I experienced the largest turn out of audience at the filmhouse. Almost every seat was occupied. Midway into the movie I could sense disappointment as the movie fell short of expectations. At the end of the movie, the uninitiated were the ones who found it 'hilarious'...to me, and many others, it was a pure display of mediocrity at its peak.

Weeks after seeing the movie, l learnt it surpassed the record of 30 Days in Atlanta in the box office. I chuckled. Why not?. The hype was enough to make it occupy such a position. But the question is what is the message in the movie?... Someone once said, if u want to see any of AY's movies, just drop your brain at home, if not you won't be able to control your anger after seeing the movie...

Sorry I was not d one u asked the question, I just had to chip in my opinion...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "76" Movie Sweeps 14 AMVCA Nominations, Which Is An All Time Record by Ignatio(m): 6:38pm On Dec 15, 2016
Orikinla:
OP, stop jiving. '76 is good thriller only by Nollywood standards. Have you read the review by the Hollywood Reporter?
9. Best Film (West Africa) Why did it not make Best Film Africa?
You disappoint me with this comment. BTW it's a nollywood movie not hollywood.

1 Like

Re: "76" Movie Sweeps 14 AMVCA Nominations, Which Is An All Time Record by homesteady(m): 6:44pm On Dec 15, 2016
VcStunner:

HCF has given you a perfect answer, because I know the direction you are driving to! I need not to give much talk again!

When 30 days in Atlanta came out, it only bagged one award at the AMVCA, and the award was not for the brilliance of the film but was like a compensation to him for venturing into the movie industry and making a boxoffice hit! The film or its casts did not win any single award in the comedy category, talk less of in any general category! So how you say this film reignited creativity into the industry?
It is an insult to the likes of kunle Afolayan, Steve Gukas and many others!
30 days in Atlanta and its brother 'A trip to Jamaica' have only reignited films like Brother Jekwu grin
Re: "76" Movie Sweeps 14 AMVCA Nominations, Which Is An All Time Record by homesteady(m): 6:48pm On Dec 15, 2016
laudate:

Please give us the names of the cinemas that have been showing the film in Lagos. undecided

Check the website of cinemas in Lagos!
Re: "76" Movie Sweeps 14 AMVCA Nominations, Which Is An All Time Record by VcStunner(m): 7:59pm On Dec 15, 2016
HCF:

Did you just attempt to use position in box office and revenues generated to adjudge a movie?. With all due respect, that is not the right way to look at it..A good movie, be it commedy, thriller, Romance etc must be very impactful; Apart from paying attention to little technical details, such as good acting,editing,scripting lightning, etc, a good movie must appear realistic while addressing fundamental issue(s) peculiar to a people.

Indeed, the day I watched one of AY's movies, A trip to Jamaica, was the day I experienced the largest turn out of audience at the filmhouse. Almost every seat was occupied. Midway into the movie I could sense disappointment as the movie fell short of expectations. At the end of the movie, the uninitiated were the ones who found it 'hilarious'...to me, and many others, it was a pure display of mediocrity at its peak.

Weeks after seeing the movie, l learnt it surpassed the record of 30 Days in Atlanta in the box office. I chuckled. Why not?. The hype was enough to make it occupy such a position. But the question is what is the message in the movie?... Someone once said, if u want to see any of AY's movies, just drop your brain at home, if not you won't be able to control your anger after seeing the movie...

Sorry I was not d one u asked the question, I just had to chip in my opinion...
I appreciate your response bro... but to be honest, the question was meant to call my attention to something I may be missing, maybe, just maybe you could point me to the right direction so I can study their work and see what makes it thick. It's for my good and not really an argument. Thanks again
Re: "76" Movie Sweeps 14 AMVCA Nominations, Which Is An All Time Record by VcStunner(m): 8:03pm On Dec 15, 2016
homesteady:

HCF has given you a perfect answer, because I know the direction you are driving to! I need not to give much talk again!

When 30 days in Atlanta came out, it only bagged one award at the AMVCA, and the award was not for the brilliance of the film but was like a compensation to him for venturing into the movie industry and making a boxoffice hit! The film or its casts did not win any single award in the comedy category, talk less of in any general category! So how you say this film reignited creativity into the industry?
It is an insult to the likes of kunle Afolayan, Steve Gukas and many others!
30 days in Atlanta and its brother 'A trip to Jamaica' have only reignited films like Brother Jekwu grin
you actually misunderstood me... I was hoping to use your response to improve my knowledge by helping me figure out the movies that were hits, their awards and revenue so I can study their work. Am not such a "typical" nigerian bro lol.. thanks anyway. I have worked for Mr. Afolayan, he's a great guy trust me.
Re: "76" Movie Sweeps 14 AMVCA Nominations, Which Is An All Time Record by femi4: 8:03pm On Dec 15, 2016
Orikinla:
OP, stop jiving.
'76 is good thriller only by Nollywood standards.
Have you read the review by the Hollywood Reporter?

9. Best Film (West Africa)
Why did it not make Best Film Africa?
Low self esteem...... Whose report will you believe?
Re: "76" Movie Sweeps 14 AMVCA Nominations, Which Is An All Time Record by Orikinla(m): 11:27pm On Dec 15, 2016
ThumbzTNA:

Wetin dey do this afonja
I am more Igbo than you and your forefathers.
Look before you leap.

2 Likes

Re: "76" Movie Sweeps 14 AMVCA Nominations, Which Is An All Time Record by laudate: 11:30pm On Dec 15, 2016
homesteady:
Check the website of cinemas in Lagos!

Kindly list the names of the cinemas. Why is that so hard for you to do?
Re: "76" Movie Sweeps 14 AMVCA Nominations, Which Is An All Time Record by Orikinla(m): 11:45pm On Dec 15, 2016
Ignatio:

You disappoint me with this comment. BTW it's a nollywood movie not hollywood.
OK. By Nollywood standards, it is fantastic.
But compared to Chineze Anyaene's "Ije" by Hollywood standards, it has not won the critical acclaim and international awards of "Ije".
A great movie is a great movie anywhere and any day and we should not be dancing on the roof top as local champions when our peers are global champions.

If it had so many nominations in Nigeria, but has not won an international award, then the standards of AMVCA are low.

The best movies made in Africa don't compete for AMVCA.
A movie wins a record of 9 awards at AMVCA, but fails to win any award even at Durban and Cairo speaks volumes for the local standards of Nollywood.
Lest we forget, filmmaking in Nigeria is 90 years old since 1926 to date. And Nigerian films on celluloid have competed among the best internationally before the emergence of Nollywood and Kannywood.

1 Like

Re: "76" Movie Sweeps 14 AMVCA Nominations, Which Is An All Time Record by junnyjake(m): 12:09am On Dec 16, 2016
VcStunner:

If you're to use revenue generation, 30 days in Atlanta sure tops the list.

What I can say for sure is what's upgrading nollywood was the involvement of the federal government back in 2014.
Re: "76" Movie Sweeps 14 AMVCA Nominations, Which Is An All Time Record by JhyMedex: 12:49am On Dec 16, 2016
realborn:

A good movie to watch.

All the best to the cast and crew!
Pls.. Whr does one download dis kinda naija movies..
Re: "76" Movie Sweeps 14 AMVCA Nominations, Which Is An All Time Record by echelons(m): 3:23am On Dec 16, 2016
Watched the movie at the Cinema last Sunday. It was everything good.
Impressive casting, costume, choice of words, etc etc.. Super Impressive.
Kudos to the team.
Never knew Rita Dominic is Igbo.
Re: "76" Movie Sweeps 14 AMVCA Nominations, Which Is An All Time Record by Detoni(f): 7:59am On Dec 16, 2016
homesteady:

i saw d movie at silverbird cinema, ICM on Monday
Re: "76" Movie Sweeps 14 AMVCA Nominations, Which Is An All Time Record by VcStunner(m): 9:08am On Dec 16, 2016
junnyjake:

If you're to use revenue generation, 30 days in Atlanta sure tops the list.

What I can say for sure is what's upgrading nollywood was the involvement of the federal government back in 2014.
that's surely a factor too... but there has to be a good idea for money to project yeah?..
There has been rich producers in the past and now that still produce garbage even with enough money.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Monalisa Chinda’s Stage Play "The Concubine” (Photos) / Doyin Evicted From The Big Brother Naija All Stars House / Nollywood Now Second Largest Movie Industry In The World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.