Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,207 members, 7,815,207 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:01 AM

To Participants: Was Etisalat Flash Fiction A Fair Competition - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / To Participants: Was Etisalat Flash Fiction A Fair Competition (6549 Views)

Scared. A Flash Fiction / Mission Sambisa!!! (all Is Fair In Love And War) / The Etisalat Flash Fiction Contest Has Started. These Are My 7 Best Stories (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

To Participants: Was Etisalat Flash Fiction A Fair Competition by Divepen1(m): 11:01am On Dec 15, 2016
Do you believe etisalat flash fiction competition was fair enough...

I'm calling these people because I've heard their opinions and just want them to air it publicly.
Kayemjay
Larrysun
repogirl
ekaromail
rock5555
Royver

Everyone

1 Like

Re: To Participants: Was Etisalat Flash Fiction A Fair Competition by Nobody: 1:01pm On Dec 16, 2016
It certainly was not for very obvious reasons
Re: To Participants: Was Etisalat Flash Fiction A Fair Competition by Divepen1(m): 2:04pm On Dec 16, 2016
Treasuredlove:
It certainly was not for very obvious reasons
Please state the obvious
Re: To Participants: Was Etisalat Flash Fiction A Fair Competition by Nobody: 3:24pm On Dec 16, 2016
Divepen1:
Please state the obvious
people mostly voted out of sentiments, nobody really read half the stories.
The site was problematic. Some people will tell you something like li have clicked the like button 10 times,it is not liking etc. So, no...it wasn't fair

6 Likes

Re: To Participants: Was Etisalat Flash Fiction A Fair Competition by Divepen1(m): 5:11am On Dec 17, 2016
Treasuredlove:
people mostly voted out of sentiments, nobody really read half the stories.
The site was problematic. Some people will tell you something like li have clicked the like button 10 times,it is not liking etc. So, no...it wasn't fair
You are right sha.. I faced the same wahala

1 Like

Re: To Participants: Was Etisalat Flash Fiction A Fair Competition by Spidermon: 6:49am On Dec 17, 2016
Gbaun!!
Re: To Participants: Was Etisalat Flash Fiction A Fair Competition by Andsboy(m): 6:49am On Dec 17, 2016
Space booking
Re: To Participants: Was Etisalat Flash Fiction A Fair Competition by misterjosh(m): 6:50am On Dec 17, 2016
It was more or less a popularity contest

2 Likes

Re: To Participants: Was Etisalat Flash Fiction A Fair Competition by WizBLANCE(m): 6:52am On Dec 17, 2016
Not fair but the fact is everybody can't win at a time. More to that your intellectual property is still yours just as the award is theirs.
Better luck next time. Amen.

1 Like

Re: To Participants: Was Etisalat Flash Fiction A Fair Competition by slazedeez: 6:53am On Dec 17, 2016
...ehn..fair for where. BTW sell your payoneer funds to me and get credited instantly to your Nigerian bank account
Re: To Participants: Was Etisalat Flash Fiction A Fair Competition by victorazy(m): 6:53am On Dec 17, 2016
What is Etisalat Flash Fiction?

Plz someone should enlighten me.
Re: To Participants: Was Etisalat Flash Fiction A Fair Competition by Hurlstarling: 6:53am On Dec 17, 2016
As far as I am concerned it is. Forget technical issues, the best of the best have the win.

Nigerians and funny mentality. If this was to be Achebe's and Soyinka's mindset, Nigeria would never have had a legend in them.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: To Participants: Was Etisalat Flash Fiction A Fair Competition by Nobody: 6:55am On Dec 17, 2016
Wait for their response
Re: To Participants: Was Etisalat Flash Fiction A Fair Competition by BRATISLAVA: 6:56am On Dec 17, 2016
vry unfair.I cdnt submit. hw cn dey open a cimptiton n not hv wrkn site?riggd rubbish
Re: To Participants: Was Etisalat Flash Fiction A Fair Competition by kingphilip(m): 6:58am On Dec 17, 2016
Every competition that votes is needed to determine the winner is most times riddled with sentiments and this isn't an exception

Fine if one say the site isn't working but to complain of sentiments, I'll fault that aspect

You can only have the moral standing to talk of sentiment if and only if you didn't inform all your friends to vote for you

Why didn't you give your friends the site and tell him to go read all and if he or she is satisfied that yours should make the next round he should vote you and if not, he should vote for those he feels they are worthy

You don't complain of sentiment when you're guilty of such..

Kappish

13 Likes

Re: To Participants: Was Etisalat Flash Fiction A Fair Competition by Nobody: 7:12am On Dec 17, 2016
Hurlstarling:
As far as I am concerned it is. Forget technical issues, the best of the best have the win.

Nigerians and funny mentality. If this was to be Achebe's and Soyinka's mindset, Nigeria would never have had a legend in them.

I just don't know why people could be this sentimental. That contest is an attention-seeking ploy of that Etisalat for people to visit their useless site that keeps saying visitors are not protected by entering the site.

One of the winners took his laptop to lecture rooms and asking people to log in with their FB and vote. A contest where you go out asking for votes is more of a political election than a merit award. If don't know what to say about this, you simply shouldn't have spoken at all.

12 Likes

Re: To Participants: Was Etisalat Flash Fiction A Fair Competition by JeffreyJamez(m): 7:13am On Dec 17, 2016
Litary competitions are not supposed to be judged based on voting because often times people with good stories won't win. Half of the people voting don't even read the story they're voting for.

8 Likes

Re: To Participants: Was Etisalat Flash Fiction A Fair Competition by esthel(f): 7:14am On Dec 17, 2016
Not fair at all...i voted for a friend and didnt even read the story and likewise many people....not a good way to determine the best.

6 Likes

Re: To Participants: Was Etisalat Flash Fiction A Fair Competition by Nobody: 7:19am On Dec 17, 2016
kingphilip:
Every competition that votes is needed to determine the winner is most times riddled with sentiments and this isn't an exception

Fine if one say the site isn't working but to complain of sentiments, I'll fault that aspect

You can only have the moral standing to talk of sentiment if and only if you didn't inform all your friends to vote for you

Why didn't you give your friends the site and tell him to go read all and if he or she is satisfied that yours should make the next round he should vote you and if not, he should vote for those he feels they are worthy

You don't complain of sentiment when you're guilty of such..

Kappish

See argument! If you ask your closest friend to vote for you in an election, will he say he won't vote for you because he knows that a man that is wasful in nature should not be trusted to lead a nation? He will simply vite for you that he can become a minister in your cabinet. I think you're one of those AWARD WINNERS? grin

2 Likes

Re: To Participants: Was Etisalat Flash Fiction A Fair Competition by Hurlstarling: 7:21am On Dec 17, 2016
B2Spirits:

I just don't know why people could be this sentimental. That contest is an attention-seeking ploy of that Etisalat for people to visit their useless site that keeps saying visitors are not protected by entering the site.

One of the winners took his laptop to lecture rooms and asking people to log in with their FB and vote. A contest where you go out asking for votes is more of a political election than a merit award. If don't know what to say about this, you simply shouldn't have spoken at all.

Read all the stories and come back to read your comment.

By the way, you need an upgrade on your grammars: sentimental was wrongly used.
Re: To Participants: Was Etisalat Flash Fiction A Fair Competition by Hurlstarling: 7:22am On Dec 17, 2016
esthel:
Not fair at all...i voted for a friend and didnt even read the story and likewise many people....not a good way to determine the best.
Are you a writer?
Re: To Participants: Was Etisalat Flash Fiction A Fair Competition by youngice(m): 7:26am On Dec 17, 2016
It's absolutely rubbish
You don't vote for best intellectual property
It should be screened by professionals, imagine voting for a Nobel prize or a 1st class
The only good book competition is that one organized by NLNG

5 Likes

Re: To Participants: Was Etisalat Flash Fiction A Fair Competition by kingphilip(m): 7:26am On Dec 17, 2016
B2Spirits:

See argument! If you ask your closest friend to vote for you in an election, will he say he won't vote for you because he knows that a man that is wasful in nature should not be trusted to lead a nation? He will simply vite for you that he can become a minister in your cabinet. I think you're one of those AWARD WINNERS? grin
I'm not

But the issue is after telling your friends to vote for you and at the end you were not declared the winner, I think you don't have the moral right to go about complaining of sentiment
Re: To Participants: Was Etisalat Flash Fiction A Fair Competition by cutebarbie23: 7:28am On Dec 17, 2016
It is fair enough.....

There are over 2000 stories....

voting is the first stage, where you get people to read and vote your stories......... This is the first screening phase.

Then, they pick the first 50 stories according to their number of votes.....

The judges take it up from there, they read and decide the first 3 winners....

Infact, Etisalat did well this year. After people made complaints, they still went ahead to add 34 more stories...., so that made it 84 stories to be screened this year.

Let's appreciate them, how many organisations in Nigeria still appreciate things like this? They would rather pay already-made public figures to grace their billboard and pay them good money.

#istandwithEtisalatprizeforfiction#

3 Likes

Re: To Participants: Was Etisalat Flash Fiction A Fair Competition by Nobody: 7:37am On Dec 17, 2016
Hurlstarling:

Read all the stories and come back to read your comment.

By the way, you need an upgrade on your grammars: sentimental was wrongly used.

You can't go down that lane with me. Check my antecedent... It's you that should look for a better teacher to dissect the sentence for you. After that, come back and tell us what you learn.
Re: To Participants: Was Etisalat Flash Fiction A Fair Competition by austine4real(m): 7:42am On Dec 17, 2016
ok
Re: To Participants: Was Etisalat Flash Fiction A Fair Competition by Mobsync(m): 7:44am On Dec 17, 2016
No. It has never been and as long as people have to vote for the stories that'll be considered, it will never be.

Many people buy votes and others that can solicit for votes from social media and online forums have a better shot at winning than those that do not have high engagement or cannot solicit for votes.

I also noticed that voting could sometimes be a nightmare. I went through hell before I could vote for a friend. Even at that, I never read his story. I only voted for him because he is my friend.

I also observed that some stories mysteriously disappeared towards the end of the competition and their pages were left blank.

Etisalat runs the flash fiction prize for publicity purposes and not to appreciate writers. I avoid it because of this.

1 Like

Re: To Participants: Was Etisalat Flash Fiction A Fair Competition by Hurlstarling: 7:47am On Dec 17, 2016
B2Spirits:

You can't go down that lane with me. Check my antecedent... It's you that should look for a better teacher to dissect the sentence for you. After that, come back and tell us what you learn.
Keep dwelling in your self-delusion, it's the best self conceited low forms have.

Now, if you won't mind, I am done entertaining your gruesome murdering of English.
Re: To Participants: Was Etisalat Flash Fiction A Fair Competition by slap1(m): 7:49am On Dec 17, 2016
It was not set up to be fair. It is more of a popularity contest than a literary award. I think the organizers of that award are more interested in the followership and traffic the award would attract to their social media sites.

No serious literary prize is thrown open to be decided by the uninitiated. I have better things to do than submit my work for that taunt of creative industry. The first time I did (and was shortlisted) was from sheer curiosity. That award is a mockery of literature.

1 Like

Re: To Participants: Was Etisalat Flash Fiction A Fair Competition by Segadem(m): 7:52am On Dec 17, 2016
grin ...am I in this Nigeria?
Frankly speaking, I'm not aware of this! grin
Re: To Participants: Was Etisalat Flash Fiction A Fair Competition by EyitayoBoSs(m): 7:53am On Dec 17, 2016
Everyone faced same challenges and yet some people still go 1000+ votes. If you thought your story was worth fighting for, you would have fought for it
There's no excuse for failure

1 Like

Re: To Participants: Was Etisalat Flash Fiction A Fair Competition by Nobody: 7:53am On Dec 17, 2016
Hurlstarling:
Keep dwelling in your self-delusion, it's the best self conceited low forms have.

Now, if you won't mind, I am done entertaining your gruesome murdering of English.

Take away a razor blade from a kid, and see him crying. Pathetic!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Foxy-rebirth --- The Warriors Of The Delta (pidgin English) / Sleep Paralysis (A Really Short Horror Story) / Destiny To Love

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.