Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,352 members, 7,815,726 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:15 PM

Can I Get Answer To This ? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Can I Get Answer To This ? (552 Views)

Do You Know You Can Get Answer To Square Root Of Surds Without Working? / What Was Your Craziest Answer To A Question In School? / Best Answer To This Question At ATM Point. "Are You The Last Person"? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can I Get Answer To This ? by caljulator(m): 10:33pm On Dec 15, 2016
Got this question in an interview recently that got me puzzled
"If everybody at a party shook hand with each other and there are total of 66 handshakes, How many people attended the party ? Am sure there are gurus in the house
Re: Can I Get Answer To This ? by Godwin0420(m): 12:24pm On Dec 16, 2016
12 people
Re: Can I Get Answer To This ? by caljulator(m): 9:56pm On Dec 16, 2016
Godwin0420:
12 people
please how come
Re: Can I Get Answer To This ? by Nobody: 10:16pm On Dec 16, 2016
Godwin0420:
12 people
correct, oga boss na you o
Re: Can I Get Answer To This ? by Nobody: 10:37pm On Dec 16, 2016
caljulator:

please how come
I really want godwin0420 to explain how he got the answer. I know for a fact that he is right, you can confirm by solving it backwards.
I also solved it myself but it took me a whole lot of time and I don't know how to explain it well, I sha developed this method and i'm pretty sure it works for all cases though it is a bit cumbersome and lengthy
1+2+...+(x-1) = y,
where x is the number of people in the party and y is the total number of handshakes. assuming the total number of people shaked each other just ones.

so therefore we have, 1+2+3+4+5+6+7+8+9+10+11=66,
from this you can infer that (x-1)=11,
so therefore x = 12,
it works for all cases,
e.g if we had 6 hand shakes in all it means
1+2+3=6,
so therefore (x-1)=3, then x =4,
e.g2 if we had 10 handshakes in all it means
1+2+3+4=10,
so therefore (x-1) = 4, then x = 5.

I know there must be an easier way to this, oga godwin show us the way. This method above took me time to develop.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can I Get Answer To This ? by Nobody: 10:42pm On Dec 16, 2016
so just keep adding starting consecutively from 1till you get the total number of handshakes, keeping in mind that the last number is equal to x-1. or simply just add 1 to the last number.

there definitely has to be an easier way, maybe through combination and permutation.

1 Like

Re: Can I Get Answer To This ? by Godwin0420(m): 11:37am On Sep 08, 2017
The total number of handshakes= n(n-1)/2 where n is the number of people involved.

I really want godwin0420 to explain how he got the answer. I know for a fact that he is right, you can confirm by solving it backwards.
I also solved it myself but it took me a whole lot of time and I don't know how to explain it well, I sha developed this method and i'm pretty sure it works for all cases though it is a bit cumbersome and lengthy
1+2+...+(x-1) = y,
where x is the number of people in the party and y is the total number of handshakes. assuming the total number of people shaked each other just ones.

so therefore we have, 1+2+3+4+5+6+7+8+9+10+11=66,
from this you can infer that (x-1)=11,
so therefore x = 12,
it works for all cases,
e.g if we had 6 hand shakes in all it means
1+2+3=6,
so therefore (x-1)=3, then x =4,
e.g2 if we had 10 handshakes in all it means
1+2+3+4=10,
so therefore (x-1) = 4, then x = 5.

I know there must be an easier way to this, oga godwin show us the way. This method above took me time to develop.

(1) (Reply)

Can I Use This Result To Gain Admission / Registration For 2017 JAMB Examination HAS NOT Commenced Yet - Mekuslala / HAVARD: Free Online Course On Entrepreneurship In Emerging Economies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.