Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,048 members, 7,814,596 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 03:51 PM

Court Okays 10years Sentence For Trigger Happy Cop - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Court Okays 10years Sentence For Trigger Happy Cop (8768 Views)

Death Sentence For Blasphemy In Kano: A Perspective By O. G. Chukkol / Mexican Cop Who Arrested Ovidio Guzman Killed With 155 Rounds (Pics/Video) / Court Okays Evans’ Fundamental Rights Suit For Hearing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Court Okays 10years Sentence For Trigger Happy Cop by Larrykaysail(m): 1:05pm On Dec 16, 2016
http://newsmakersng.com/2016/12/16/acourt-okays-10years-sentence-for-trigger-happy-cop/

The Embattled DPO, Fabunmi
All things being equal, a former Divisional Police Officer (DPO), in Lagos, will spend the next 10 years in jail for quelling a public protest with maximum force, whereby he killed and maimed in 2012.
The Court of Appeal in Lagos yesterday affirmed the earlier decision of the Lagos High Court that CSP Segun Fabunmi, who was DPO of Pen Cinema Police Station, Agege, should spend 10 years in prison for killing a rioter, Ademola Aderintola Daramola, during the January 9, 2012 fuel subsidy protest in Lagos.
He was arraigned on May 5, 2013, by the Lagos State Government on a seven-count charge bordering on murder, attempted murder and causing grievous bodily harm.
Justice Olabisi Akinlade in 2015 at the Lagos High Court sentenced Fabunmi to 10 years in prison for manslaughter following his arraignment and trial before the Court.

THE APPELLANT BEING A SEASONED POLICE OFFICER COULD HAVE REASONED TO USE RUBBER BULLET, TEARGAS ETC ON THE MOB RATHER THAN RESORTING TO LETHAL WEAPON, AK 47

Fabunmi was also found guilty of shooting and injuring three other persons, namely: Alimi Abubakar, Egbujor Samuel and Chizorba Odoh during the protest.
Fabunmi, who enlisted in the Nigeria Police Force in 1984, appealed the ruling.
His counsel, Mr. C.J Jiakponna, urged the court to allow the appeal and acquit him.
The Lagos State Government, represented by the Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice Mr. Adeniji Kazeem, however urged the court to affirm the decision of the lower court and dismiss the appeal as lacking in merit.
After considering all arguments, the Appeal court held:

* That the issue of the identity of the deceased raised by the appellant was not material since it was not in doubt that the appellant shot the deceased; therefore the defense of accidental discharge and self-defense would not avail the appellant because these defenses were mutually exclusive
* That the appellant being a seasoned police officer could have reasoned to use rubber bullet, teargas etc on the mob rather than resorting to lethal weapon, AK 47
*that the use of AK 47 a lethal weapon convinced the lower court that the Appellant had intention to cause grievous bodily harm that the defense of accident could not avail the appellant since there was clear evidence that he shot at the deceased and other persons
The Court held that the appeal lacked merit, thereby dismissing and affirming the decision of the Lagos High Court.

1 Like

Re: Court Okays 10years Sentence For Trigger Happy Cop by Hotfella(m): 1:22pm On Dec 16, 2016
Bad Cop! Yay! FTC first time ever. I dedicate this space to my darling wife! You rock my world.

4 Likes

Re: Court Okays 10years Sentence For Trigger Happy Cop by Jameskelvin(m): 2:51pm On Dec 16, 2016
Damn..i nearly made FTC.this is my closest ever since i joined this forum..anyway,i dedicate this STC to all the zombies that brought the recession and inflation king muhammadu buhari from daura to aso rock..#tgif

4 Likes

Re: Court Okays 10years Sentence For Trigger Happy Cop by AvsGot007(m): 2:51pm On Dec 16, 2016
oh
Re: Court Okays 10years Sentence For Trigger Happy Cop by seXytOhbAd(m): 2:51pm On Dec 16, 2016
Re: Court Okays 10years Sentence For Trigger Happy Cop by kingzjay(m): 2:53pm On Dec 16, 2016
After the 10 years....What next?

Won't he do even worst?
Re: Court Okays 10years Sentence For Trigger Happy Cop by Apostlevincent(m): 2:53pm On Dec 16, 2016
Na so End time police
Re: Court Okays 10years Sentence For Trigger Happy Cop by Kennedymac(m): 2:53pm On Dec 16, 2016
Am yet to understand why our policemen are walking up and down the streets of the nation with an assault weapon

why can't the carry a pistol like the American police and others

1 Like

Re: Court Okays 10years Sentence For Trigger Happy Cop by Pavore9: 2:54pm On Dec 16, 2016
It will not deter his trigger-happy comrades.

1 Like

Re: Court Okays 10years Sentence For Trigger Happy Cop by LilSmith55(m): 2:54pm On Dec 16, 2016
Oya na
Re: Court Okays 10years Sentence For Trigger Happy Cop by Jazzlite: 3:01pm On Dec 16, 2016
embarassed something is wrong... very wrong...he committed the crime in January 2012 but was only arraigned in May 2013! who were those preventing justice? it deserves investigation and trial

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Court Okays 10years Sentence For Trigger Happy Cop by xolomonstrides(m): 3:03pm On Dec 16, 2016
MY OPINION!!!

It is quite unfortunate that a case of murder would now be classified as being "trigger happy"
There are only 3 classification of issues like this that I know of
Self defence, man slaughter, and murder.
Where policemen shoot at peaceful protesters I think it is murder. Cos he is aware that he is holding a lethal weapon. He knows that shooting a person would kill that person. He knew all the way , yet he fired. I personally have no other name to call it. MURDER!!!!

He should gave gotten the maximum sentence!!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Okays 10years Sentence For Trigger Happy Cop by ramdris(m): 3:13pm On Dec 16, 2016
10 years for murder? This is pure nonsense! the guy should be given at least a minimum of 30 years for killing that unarmed lad...
Re: Court Okays 10years Sentence For Trigger Happy Cop by SweetJoystick(m): 3:18pm On Dec 16, 2016
Great, this judgement should be broadcasted to all police stations and officers, so next time they want to be trigger happy, they just might be spending sometime in jail
Re: Court Okays 10years Sentence For Trigger Happy Cop by Nobody: 3:24pm On Dec 16, 2016
?
Re: Court Okays 10years Sentence For Trigger Happy Cop by thesicilian: 3:28pm On Dec 16, 2016
ramdris:
10 years for murder? This is pure nonsense! the guy should be given at least a minimum of 30 years for killing that unarmed lad...
Manslaughter, not murder.
Re: Court Okays 10years Sentence For Trigger Happy Cop by AYOOZI(m): 3:31pm On Dec 16, 2016
it shuld be 120 yrs

1 Like

Re: Court Okays 10years Sentence For Trigger Happy Cop by FisifunKododada: 3:32pm On Dec 16, 2016
coolWay to go: Now if ONLY American justice system can LEARN from Nigeria cool
Re: Court Okays 10years Sentence For Trigger Happy Cop by ramdris(m): 3:40pm On Dec 16, 2016
thesicilian:

Manslaughter, not murder.
That's what he was charged for but as for me, its pure murder!
Re: Court Okays 10years Sentence For Trigger Happy Cop by Xpol: 3:56pm On Dec 16, 2016
Kennedymac:
Am yet to understand why our policemen are walking up and down the streets of the nation with an assault weapon

why can't the carry a pistol like the American police and others
lol how easy is it to counter bank robbers wit pistol
Re: Court Okays 10years Sentence For Trigger Happy Cop by Asiwaju9ja(m): 4:09pm On Dec 16, 2016
Judiciary don dey interprete Law as e suppose be.
Re: Court Okays 10years Sentence For Trigger Happy Cop by mekonglobal(m): 4:21pm On Dec 16, 2016
Gud news if it will be followed to d later.
Re: Court Okays 10years Sentence For Trigger Happy Cop by Adventurist(m): 4:24pm On Dec 16, 2016
it took the court almost 5 years to sentence this man. Our judiciary system is so way backward
Re: Court Okays 10years Sentence For Trigger Happy Cop by thesicilian: 4:27pm On Dec 16, 2016
ramdris:

That's what he was charged for but as for me, its pure murder!
Hahaha. I believe he's only being convicted in the first place because he was charged to court by the Lagos state government directly. If it was the family of the deceased the case would have been swept under the rug long ago.
Re: Court Okays 10years Sentence For Trigger Happy Cop by andyanders: 4:43pm On Dec 16, 2016
He should have been sentenced to death rather than this so called 10yrs whereby he will not even spend up to 5yrs or whatever.

1 Like

Re: Court Okays 10years Sentence For Trigger Happy Cop by bashydemy(m): 5:00pm On Dec 16, 2016
If this were to be under GEJ nothing go happen to him...
Re: Court Okays 10years Sentence For Trigger Happy Cop by Jazzlite: 6:28pm On Dec 16, 2016
bashydemy:
If this were to be under GEJ nothing go happen to him...
make sense

1 Like

Re: Court Okays 10years Sentence For Trigger Happy Cop by Kennedymac(m): 7:12pm On Dec 16, 2016
Xpol:
lol how easy is it to counter bank robbers wit pistol
so u mean other nations that counter bank robbers carry ak 47 everywhere they go

how about when u have a serious case like a robbery u go to the armoury and take assault weapon
Re: Court Okays 10years Sentence For Trigger Happy Cop by Xpol: 11:13pm On Dec 16, 2016
Kennedymac:
so u mean other nations that counter bank robbers carry ak 47 everywhere they go

how about when u have a serious case like a robbery u go to the armoury and take assault weapon
u re right. In 9ja all bank request for policemen you see at least 2 policemen in each bank.is it advisable for them to use pistol?pistol is not meant 4operation it's for surveillance and self protection?it's very difficult to aim at far object with it forget abt wht u see in movie.only countries with less crime u will see tht policemen are used to pistol.in advance country d police network is first class with quick response no need 4 those on patrol to b carrying big raffle.most divisional headquarters don't hv more than 2pistols so imagine tht.
Re: Court Okays 10years Sentence For Trigger Happy Cop by Nobody: 2:30am On Dec 17, 2016
thank goodness. send him there and let him stay there.

(1) (Reply)

Cele Prophet Killed Inside Own Church / Hakeem Odumosu: Traffic Robberies Will Soon Become History In Lagos / 7 Ways To Spot Yahoo Yahoo Boys In Your Area

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.