Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,070 members, 7,814,700 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 05:43 PM

11 Sure Tips To Beat Weight Gain This Christmas - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 11 Sure Tips To Beat Weight Gain This Christmas (662 Views)

Healthy Eating, Weight Loss And Weight Gain This Season / APETAMIN weight gain Syrup(supplement) / Apetamin Weight Gain Syrup 200ml (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

11 Sure Tips To Beat Weight Gain This Christmas by DTruSon(m): 2:05pm On Dec 17, 2016
Even for people who have got a good rein on their cravings, the festive season is somewhat challenging for everyone in terms of weight gain. Keeping your eating habits on track can be a daunting task, making you dive all the way into a mire of self-indulgence, and putting a pause on your diet routine until the New Year.

But you should realise the excess kilos you acquire wouldn’t disappear like the Christmas trees as the new year is ushered in, and you really don’t want to be starting the new year with excess luggage in terms of weight gain.

In reality you can still have great fun without ditching your healthy lifestyle habits.

Here are 10 rules you can follow to ensure you having fun and still wake up on New Years Day weighing the same kilos.

Keep Weighing Scale Close

Ensure you weigh yourself daily. This not only help you keep a tab on your weight, but ensure you have some discretion while having fun with Christmas dishes . The way to go is to step on the scale first thing in the morning when your stomach is empty.

Quick Workout in the morning

Having a quick 30 to 45 minutes exercise first thing in the morning helps to keep the body in shape. It also helps you maintain a good eating habit all day long.

Using brain scans, researchers found that when women worked out in the morning, they not only moved more the rest of the day, but they also responded less to pictures of tempting food compared with the days they didn’t do a morning workout. This translated to fewer cravings for high-fat foods.

Be ready to look away

Be ready to use discretion while filling your plate from the buffet. Cultivate a habit of looking away from the high fat chickens and beefs. If, for example, you could leave sushi for sliders, don’t start with the fish rolls hoping to be able to resist the burger later.

“If you pick the stuff you really want and have it in moderation, you’ll stave off those cravings that can get you in trouble later on.”

Avoid calories

Sometimes you want to cut back on high calorie foods just so you can indulge in a binge at an evening party. This is not a good way to go, as it only sets you up for big pig-out.

Just ensure to eat your three squares meals with a couple of snacks. Aim for lots of fruits and vegetables, whole grains, and lean proteins.

Cut back on diet soda

It is true that diet soda contains next to zero calories, but any bubbly beverage can lead to bloated tummy. The gas inside in the bubbles of fizzy drinks will lead to a build up of air in the tummy.

Eat up the water

It is a known fact that you should take at least 8 glasses of water daily, which is nearly always impossible with the bustling life of the festive season. But you can augment your daily water requirements by eating fruits and vegetables. Green salad with drizzles of vinaigrette is great for this. Servings of apple, avocado and pear can give you ample measures of water to add to what you get from glasses you’ve managed to drink.

Have regular cups of peppermint tea

Research shows peppermint can help calm stomach muscles and reduce gas. The tea also serve as natural diuretic by making you pee more and helping to keep your weight in check.

Eat more slowly

With the never-ending schedules of Christmas season, it is hard to reduce the frequency of having to munch one thing or the other. But eating fast is a sure recipe for weight gain. But when you eat more slowly, you take in more air into the stomach which tend to hasten satiety. The bottom-line is that you end up eating less.

Fruits, fruits and more fruits

Fresh fruits are very rich source of potassium. When you ramp up your fruits consumption, you infuse your system with ample supplies of potassium. This mineral counteracts the effect of sodium. Sodium naturally makes the body retain more water and leads to net weight gain. More potassium means less water retention. Few servings of kiwis, avocados, bananas and strawberries continually will get you going.

Stay calm and put a leash on the cravings

Sometimes you get overwhelmed with the sight of unending varieties constantly staring you in the face. This is the time to take deep breaths and take few steps back. Stress reduction techniques help put some reins on your cravings and you will be able to prevent weight gain.

Stressed by the sight of that holiday spread? Take deep breaths before you grab a plate. Research suggests that women who practice stress reduction techniques are able to prevent weight gain. Pause for about 20 seconds with eyes closed and rethink whether its really worth it to fill your plate with another round. The chances are great that you will look away.

You don’t have to cut of desserts completely

You could still manage to keep up with the desserts. but you can hold on the three-bite rule. Just take a bite out of it and you are done. This habit helps to keep your sweet tooth in check. You’ll still manage to get that amazing first taste, a satisfying middle one, and then a lingering third bite.

Source: Jollywellness.com https:///t66w8v

Re: 11 Sure Tips To Beat Weight Gain This Christmas by TashaGirl: 2:30pm On Dec 17, 2016
I know I will add weight but I know hot to get rid of it asap wink. My bday is loading>>>>>>>>>>>

I gats to drink and eat smiley
Re: 11 Sure Tips To Beat Weight Gain This Christmas by femi4: 4:22pm On Dec 17, 2016
TashaGirl:
I know I will add weight but I know hot to get rid of it asap wink. My bday is loading>>>>>>>>>>>

I gats to drink and eat smiley
With your size....you should be thinking of how to shed weight
Re: 11 Sure Tips To Beat Weight Gain This Christmas by TashaGirl: 4:49pm On Dec 17, 2016
femi4:
With your size....you should be thinking of how to shed weight
see this boy oo cheesy. I know you but you don't know me tongue. If you know me, you will beg me to add weight tongue tongue.
Re: 11 Sure Tips To Beat Weight Gain This Christmas by PRISTINEMUSCLES: 7:23pm On Dec 17, 2016
I don't just buy the idea of one checking the scales everyday. Like me weighing more than 90kg, i can run faster than a person weighing 65 or 70kg. Why? Because my body has more lean muscle mass. There are key parameters to judge fat loss or gain.
Your clothes that use to grip all parts of your body become loose. But for those with muscle gain, the clothes still remains firm on the body.
The size of your waist, absence of "love handles", absence or the reduction of fats in the arm, lean face etc.

(1) (Reply)

Importance Of Antenatal Care For Pregnant Or Women Intending To Be Pregnant / 5 Most Well-eaten Food That Are Dangerous To Your Health / The Health Benefits Of Blackstrap Molasses For You.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.