Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,408 members, 7,819,463 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:44 PM

Nysc And Communism - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nysc And Communism (743 Views)

Nigerians Say No To Communism... / Communism Is The Best Economic System Suitable For Nigeria / Nigeria Should Embrace Communism. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nysc And Communism by ciocio: 10:49pm On Dec 18, 2016
I am a foreign trained graduate. Upon returning to Nigeria, I find that I have to take part in the NYSC regime in order to gain employment in Nigeria.

Of course, I am very hesitant to spend a year posted to somewhere I don’t know, doing something unrelated to what I know and being paid a stipend for my work (which I have no say in).

If it smells like it, looks like it and tastes like it, then it is it - forced labour. While to some this may not be immediately apparent, I argue that making NYSC mandatory “forces” people to take part.

It seems to me that this is in line with the backhand way in which things are done in Nigeria. In my opinion, NYSC is akin to a bribe. In order to have access to the labour market (which I believe should be a birth right of every citizen), you must first give a year of your life.

Whilst I neither applaud nor criticize the human rights record of Nigeria, I think that NYSC is a slight of youth. The youth are seen as little lost children with nothing better to do. This I blame on the generally weak educational system in Nigeria.

Why communism?

In communist countries, the government owned the means of production and workers had no say in their wages. Of course, such regimes are no longer around because the idea is such an ill-conceived one. Human beings are capitalists by nature. The more you work, the more you should earn.

Finally, I think the solution to the problem is not to force people to integrate or relate. They should do that by themselves. What the government can and should do is create jobs which are attractive such that you are hired as a government worker and then transferred to other states instead of forcing people to work for you.

If the first exposure of young people to government is to demand a bribe from them, how can one honestly expect the nation not to be corrupt?

Re: Nysc And Communism by pchukwudi: 10:58pm On Dec 18, 2016
VERY WELL SAID.
Re: Nysc And Communism by Cromagnon: 11:42pm On Dec 18, 2016
So who all this grammar epp
Re: Nysc And Communism by Caseless: 2:41am On Dec 19, 2016
undecided

Re: Nysc And Communism by ciocio: 9:21am On Dec 22, 2016
Cromagnon:
So who all this grammar epp

Nairaland is a forum. It is meant for people to voice their opinions and have debates.

Caseless:
undecided

You either don't understand English or don't agree with me. I will assume it's the latter.

Perhaps you are blinded to the corruption of NYSC and have become accustomed to such practices.

I can tell you that such regimes will never be accepted in "common sense" countries, so why should it be imposed on me.

It is all part of a larger problem of corruption and ignorance. Virtually all private companies ask for NYSC certificate. I believe it's only multinationals that don't, which makes my point.
Re: Nysc And Communism by Cromagnon: 12:23am On Dec 24, 2016
ciocio:

Nairaland is a forum. It is meant for people to voice their opinions and have debates.

my bad
Who all this debate and opinion epp

You either don't understand English or don't agree with me. I will assume it's the latter.

Perhaps you are blinded to the corruption of NYSC and have become accustomed to such practices.

I can tell you that such regimes will never be accepted in "common sense" countries, so why should it be imposed on me.

It is all part of a larger problem of corruption and ignorance. Virtually all private companies ask for NYSC certificate. I believe it's only multinationals that don't, which makes my point.

Re: Nysc And Communism by Blue3k(m): 1:16am On Dec 24, 2016
Is NYSC forced? I think only government may require it. It's only required for a future in politics. I mean there's no law I heard of.

(1) (Reply)

It's Impossible To Fight Corruption With 18k Min Wages, Ben Bruce Tells Buhari / pp / Nnamdi Kanu Secret Trial, Accuses Uwazurike, Says Nigeria must fall(video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.