Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,180 members, 7,829,236 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 10:17 PM

Strange Things Ur Body Does That U Never Knew Were Defense Mechanisms(pictures) - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Strange Things Ur Body Does That U Never Knew Were Defense Mechanisms(pictures) (44868 Views)

10 Embarrassing Things Your Body Does That You Can’t Control / 9 Strange Things Your Body Does That You Never Knew Were Defense Mechanisms / 9 Strange Things Your Body Does That You Never Knew Were Defense Mechanisms (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Strange Things Ur Body Does That U Never Knew Were Defense Mechanisms(pictures) by sannieday: 4:16pm On Dec 19, 2016
Preca:
Wow...i yawned when looking at the yawning pics
Me too... Lol
Re: Strange Things Ur Body Does That U Never Knew Were Defense Mechanisms(pictures) by bellenornor(f): 4:17pm On Dec 19, 2016
judeefcc:
lol
Quite infectious
Re: Strange Things Ur Body Does That U Never Knew Were Defense Mechanisms(pictures) by beautycrush24(f): 4:17pm On Dec 19, 2016
Preca:

Lol......I swear I yawned at that point also. I was about asking if anyone else did
Re: Strange Things Ur Body Does That U Never Knew Were Defense Mechanisms(pictures) by HyDef(m): 4:19pm On Dec 19, 2016
Sorry... This article contains misinformation.

It's not yet completely understood why we yawn.

Goosebumps might work in animals, due to the amount of hair we have, but not in humans. At least, no anymore.

And then wrinkling of the skin to help improve grip? Sounds interesting.
EDIT: Still just a theory.
:p

Anyway, most of these aren't 'defense mechanisms'.

1 Like

Re: Strange Things Ur Body Does That U Never Knew Were Defense Mechanisms(pictures) by Mayflowa(m): 4:21pm On Dec 19, 2016
Twaci:
Wow! I learnt a whole lot from these.

From this especially.

Nice one Jude!

Yeah me too. It does happen to my gal

1 Like

Re: Strange Things Ur Body Does That U Never Knew Were Defense Mechanisms(pictures) by Antell95(m): 4:21pm On Dec 19, 2016
judeefcc:
Myoclonic jerks

This refers to that strange feeling when you lie down to go to sleep, and as you start to drift off your body is jolted for a second by what seems like an electric shock. In this moment, all of your muscles spasm so strongly that you almost fall out of bed, and you wake up straightaway.

This phenomenon is the result of the fact that when you begin to fall asleep, the frequency of your breathing rapidly falls, whilst your pulse slows down only very slightly and your muscles are relaxed. Amazingly, your brain interprets these developments as heralding death. So it tries to save you by giving you a jolt.
Mehn knowledge is power! This thing dey do me like every day.. I go dey reason say na my village people dey worry me
Re: Strange Things Ur Body Does That U Never Knew Were Defense Mechanisms(pictures) by Annie2059: 4:31pm On Dec 19, 2016
Preca:
I did too... there is a saying that yawning is contagious
Re: Strange Things Ur Body Does That U Never Knew Were Defense Mechanisms(pictures) by cooluc(f): 4:34pm On Dec 19, 2016
Thanks Op.
Re: Strange Things Ur Body Does That U Never Knew Were Defense Mechanisms(pictures) by stchinedu: 4:34pm On Dec 19, 2016
judeefcc:
Yawning
The main purpose of yawning is to cool down the brain after it’s been overheated or overloaded.

cooling the brain or not, all i know is that if you want to know if somebody is looking at you, just yawn... the person will respond immediately...so contagious grin

nice peace @op
Re: Strange Things Ur Body Does That U Never Knew Were Defense Mechanisms(pictures) by Caseless: 4:37pm On Dec 19, 2016
judeefcc:
Yawning
The main purpose of yawning is to cool down the brain after it’s been overheated or overloaded.
anyone who reads here must yawn.
Re: Strange Things Ur Body Does That U Never Knew Were Defense Mechanisms(pictures) by ice74: 4:38pm On Dec 19, 2016
judeefcc:
Myoclonic jerks

This refers to that strange feeling when you lie down to go to sleep, and as you start to drift off your body is jolted for a second by what seems like an electric shock. In this moment, all of your muscles spasm so strongly that you almost fall out of bed, and you wake up straightaway.

This phenomenon is the result of the fact that when you begin to fall asleep, the frequency of your breathing rapidly falls, whilst your pulse slows down only very slightly and your muscles are relaxed. Amazingly, your brain interprets these developments as heralding death. So it tries to save you by giving you a jolt.
Your conscious level is control by network of nerve bodies located in the reticular activating system of your brain, once this centre is inhibited one can fall asleep or lost consciousness. Respiration and heart rate are under the control of the autonomous nervous system( meaning; one have no control over these activities, they are automatic, regulated without your conscious effort) with centres from the hypothalamus of brain, however, they also receive other afferent nerves from other centres. Myoclonic jerks are forms of subtle seizures, cause by hyper synchronous electrical discharge by some group of neurones manifesting clinically with shock-like motor manifestations.
Re: Strange Things Ur Body Does That U Never Knew Were Defense Mechanisms(pictures) by Laveda(f): 4:39pm On Dec 19, 2016
Judeefcc you made Fp

cool Nice one.
Re: Strange Things Ur Body Does That U Never Knew Were Defense Mechanisms(pictures) by greatgod2012(f): 4:41pm On Dec 19, 2016
This is honestly informative!

I learnt some useful things here!

Kudos op!
Re: Strange Things Ur Body Does That U Never Knew Were Defense Mechanisms(pictures) by emiarire(f): 4:47pm On Dec 19, 2016
Antell95:
Mehn knowledge is power! This thing dey do me like every day.. I go dey reason say na my village people dey worry me
Lol
Re: Strange Things Ur Body Does That U Never Knew Were Defense Mechanisms(pictures) by Welrez(m): 4:48pm On Dec 19, 2016
Preca:
Pavlovian effect, contagious yawning !
Re: Strange Things Ur Body Does That U Never Knew Were Defense Mechanisms(pictures) by emiarire(f): 4:50pm On Dec 19, 2016
ice74:
your conscious level is control by network of nerve bodies located in the reticular activating system of your brain, once this centre is inhibited one can fall asleep or lost consciousness. Respiration and breathing are under the control of the autonomous nervous system( meaning you have no control over their activities, they are automatic, regulated without your conscious effort) with centres from the hypothalamus of brain, however they also receive other afferent nerves from other centres. Myoclonic jerks are forms of subtle seizures(hyper synchronous electrical discharge by some group of neurones, manifesting clinically with sensory, motor, psychologic or autonomous manifestation).

1 Like

Re: Strange Things Ur Body Does That U Never Knew Were Defense Mechanisms(pictures) by Nobody: 4:54pm On Dec 19, 2016
why has this not gotten to front page? if its mmm and snakes now we wont hear word.
Re: Strange Things Ur Body Does That U Never Knew Were Defense Mechanisms(pictures) by Chukwudozzie(m): 4:55pm On Dec 19, 2016
:PYou no well
mecussey:
Ejaculatiooon...this serves as defence mechnism to relieve you from konji state.

make i find picture....
Re: Strange Things Ur Body Does That U Never Knew Were Defense Mechanisms(pictures) by Oredys(m): 4:58pm On Dec 19, 2016
So educative. Thank's a bunch!
Re: Strange Things Ur Body Does That U Never Knew Were Defense Mechanisms(pictures) by LoveJesus87(m): 5:04pm On Dec 19, 2016
mecussey:
Ejaculatiooon...this serves as defence mechnism to relieve you from konji state.

make i find picture....
Idiot grin
Re: Strange Things Ur Body Does That U Never Knew Were Defense Mechanisms(pictures) by LoveJesus87(m): 5:04pm On Dec 19, 2016
Yewandequeen:
Insightful
Really?
Re: Strange Things Ur Body Does That U Never Knew Were Defense Mechanisms(pictures) by shumuel(m): 5:05pm On Dec 19, 2016
Preca:

And i yawned after i read you comment grin funny, right ?
Re: Strange Things Ur Body Does That U Never Knew Were Defense Mechanisms(pictures) by MrsAnyanwu(f): 5:07pm On Dec 19, 2016
Great piece
Re: Strange Things Ur Body Does That U Never Knew Were Defense Mechanisms(pictures) by ice74: 5:28pm On Dec 19, 2016
emiarire:
Myoclonic jerks are seizure disorders.
Re: Strange Things Ur Body Does That U Never Knew Were Defense Mechanisms(pictures) by ice74: 5:38pm On Dec 19, 2016
bizie:
Op, thanjs so much for this information. It's really educative. I want to ask though. There is this thing that always happens to me. My body shakes for like 2 seconds as if electric shock passed through me early morning whenever I wake up and want to wee wee. Does it happen to anyone else. Or it's just me.

Its a form of myoclonic seizure (positive myoclonus), if it persist you need to see a doctor (neurologist) because, its not normal.
Re: Strange Things Ur Body Does That U Never Knew Were Defense Mechanisms(pictures) by mecussey(m): 5:40pm On Dec 19, 2016
LoveJesus87:
Idiot grin

you dont know that our body releases expired spe*m through wet dreams the same way women expired eggs are been released through menses. All of u calling me names...if u like learn if u dont like remain where you are. As far as am concern...its a defence mechanism.
Re: Strange Things Ur Body Does That U Never Knew Were Defense Mechanisms(pictures) by Davidbelove: 5:44pm On Dec 19, 2016
nice one[b]nice one[/b]nice one
Re: Strange Things Ur Body Does That U Never Knew Were Defense Mechanisms(pictures) by Smartademu(m): 5:46pm On Dec 19, 2016
mecussey:

make i find picture....
My guy u de on point. grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Strange Things Ur Body Does That U Never Knew Were Defense Mechanisms(pictures) by LoveJesus87(m): 5:48pm On Dec 19, 2016
mecussey:

you dont know that our body releases expired spe*m through wet dreams the same way women expired eggs are been released through menses. All of u calling me names...if u like learn if u dont like remain where you are. As far as am concern...its a defence mechanism.
Lmao ayaf die defense ko offense ni grin grin grin wink
Re: Strange Things Ur Body Does That U Never Knew Were Defense Mechanisms(pictures) by Shemkaz09: 5:48pm On Dec 19, 2016
*Yawning* Overheated or Overloaded....

I disagree with that.

wat of those that yawn when they just wake up?
Re: Strange Things Ur Body Does That U Never Knew Were Defense Mechanisms(pictures) by Smartademu(m): 5:50pm On Dec 19, 2016
HyDef:
Sorry... This article contains misinformation.

It's not yet completely understood why we yawn.

Goosebumps might work in animals, due to the amount of hair we have, but not in humans. At least, no anymore.

And then wrinkling of the skin to help improve grip? Sounds interesting.
EDIT: Still just a theory.

Anyway, most of these aren't 'defense mechanisms'.
Some people with ITK sef cool
Re: Strange Things Ur Body Does That U Never Knew Were Defense Mechanisms(pictures) by lonelydora: 5:58pm On Dec 19, 2016
judeefcc:
Yawning

Never knew this. We learn everyday

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

COVID-19: Akeredolu To Deploy Drones For Disinfection Of Public Places (PHOTOS) / Bride-to-be Develops Vitiligo (skin Disorder) Months Before Her Wedding (Photos) / 627 New COVID-19 Cases, 397 Discharged And 12 Deaths On June 12 - (2032 Tested)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.