Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,550 members, 7,812,758 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:46 PM

Terror Attack: 12 Killed As Truck Ploughed Into Crowded Christmas Market Berlin. - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Terror Attack: 12 Killed As Truck Ploughed Into Crowded Christmas Market Berlin. (1787 Views)

Barcelona Terror Attack: 12 Killed And More Than 70 Injured / Terror Attack Hits London Again (Photos) / Angela Merkel On Fire-Terrorist Attack Kill Scores In Berlin Christmas Market (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Terror Attack: 12 Killed As Truck Ploughed Into Crowded Christmas Market Berlin. by Explorers(m): 5:21am On Dec 20, 2016
A refugee is thought to have been behind the wheel of a 25-tonne articulated lorry which mowed down and killed 12 people and injured 48 others as it sped at 40mph through a busy Christmas market in Berlin.

The vehicle laden with steel cargo mounted the pavement at 7pm, before tearing through stalls and shoppers on Breitscheidplatz Square, outside the Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church in the German capital's main shopping area.

The man at the wheel who according to German newspaper Berliner used different aliases, was of Afghan heritage and had arrived in Germany in February fled the scene before being arrested at a nearby zoo.

Police confirmed the original driver, who was transporting steel beams from Poland to Germany, was a Polish national who was found dead in the lorry's cabin. It is thought he was hijacked.

As German police, the White House and Germany's top security official indicated the incident was terror related, there was a chilling echo of the deadly terror attack in the French city of Nice in July.

It also came just one hour after the Russian ambassador was shot dead in Ankara.

The harrowing incident also comes amid repeated warnings from various security agencies that ISIS planned to wreak havoc on European countries during the festive season, specifically threatening Christmas markets.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4049442/Terror-attack-fears-lorry-ploughs-Christmas-market-Berlin-leaving-two-people-dead.html

Re: Terror Attack: 12 Killed As Truck Ploughed Into Crowded Christmas Market Berlin. by Explorers(m): 5:24am On Dec 20, 2016
There were harrowing scenes on Monday evening in Berlin, after several people lost their lives just days before Christmas.

The vehicle left a trail of devastation in its wake, in a chilling echo of the deadly terror attack in the French city of Nice in July and comes just one hour after the Russian ambassador was shot dead in Ankara.

Re: Terror Attack: 12 Killed As Truck Ploughed Into Crowded Christmas Market Berlin. by ritababe(f): 5:26am On Dec 20, 2016
world war 3 getting closer
Re: Terror Attack: 12 Killed As Truck Ploughed Into Crowded Christmas Market Berlin. by BeeBeeOoh(m): 5:31am On Dec 20, 2016
I don't wanna insult anybody's religion, but please why don't these people like peace?? Are they always blood thirsty??

5 Likes

Re: Terror Attack: 12 Killed As Truck Ploughed Into Crowded Christmas Market Berlin. by fulaniHERDSman(m): 5:33am On Dec 20, 2016
German Councellor should be arrested and jailed asap!

Who still wonders why Americans chose Trump? angry sad

With this kind of news, those who voted out the talkative evil democrats will be thumping their chests in pride.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Terror Attack: 12 Killed As Truck Ploughed Into Crowded Christmas Market Berlin. by tk4rd: 5:35am On Dec 20, 2016
What do I say again
Re: Terror Attack: 12 Killed As Truck Ploughed Into Crowded Christmas Market Berlin. by Explorers(m): 5:37am On Dec 20, 2016
The vehicle mounted the pavement before tearing through stalls and shoppers in the market on Breitscheidplatz Square, outside the Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church in the German capital's main shopping area.

An eyewitness said: 'I just saw this huge black truck speeding through the markets crushing so many people and then all the lights went out and everything was destroyed'

The usually merry streets became scenes of chaos, with people being pulled from under the flattened wooden stalls and others ferried off in ambulances, some tragically under white sheets.

The Die Welt newspaper said that German intelligence had been warning city authorities for the past week of a possible attack on a Christmas market.

Germany's justice minister says federal prosecutors, who handle terrorism cases, had taken over the investigation, while police used Twitter to urge locals to stay in their homes, to 'check suspicious objects'and encouraged people to use a Facebook safety check loved ones were safe.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel says she is 'mourning the dead', while The White House said: 'The United States condemns in the strongest terms what appears to have been a terrorist attack on a Christmas Market in Berlin, Germany, which has killed and wounded dozens.

'The Polish owner of the lorry confirmed his driver was missing.

Speaking on Polish news channel TVN24, the owner of the haulage firm Ariel Zurawski said his relative would not have committed an act of terror: 'I can say hand on heart that the man who drove into those people in the centre of Berlin was not my driver.

TOURISTS WARNED OF TERROR ATTACKS AT CHRISTMAS MARKETS.

Just weeks ago, US tourists were warned to be on high alert if visiting traditional markets in Europe due to a heightened terror threat.

The US State Department issued the advice for citizens travelling to the continent during the holiday season.

The warning came after it was revealed ISIS encouraged lone jihadis to use trucks as weapons to target large-scale events.

'This is my cousin. I've known him since I was born. I can vouch for him. 'My scenario is that they did something to the driver they hijacked this vehicle because it was practically in the centre of Berlin and they had a good vehicle with which they could do what did.

'They did something to my driver, God forbid, something serious. It looks like that. 'We haven't heard from him since this afternoon.

We don't know what happened to him.

British tourist Mike Fox, from Birmingham, said the large truck missed him by about three meters as it drove into the market, tearing through tables and wooden stands.

'It was definitely deliberate,' he said. Mr Fox said he helped people who appeared to have broken limbs, and said others were trapped under Christmas stands, adding: 'We were in the market, outside the cathedral and we had just had mulled wine then as we were leaving the large truck came through.

'It went just past me, past my girlfriend. I think it missed me by three metres, missed her by five.

It came in through the entrance, hit the sides of the barriers and then carried on past us.

'You do what you can to help who you can, really.

It happened so fast that there was nothing we could do to stop it if we'd tried to stop it we would have been crushed.'

Re: Terror Attack: 12 Killed As Truck Ploughed Into Crowded Christmas Market Berlin. by Explorers(m): 5:38am On Dec 20, 2016
As news of the incident spread globally, White House National Security Council spokesman, Ned Price said the United States condemned it as an apparent terror attack.

Re: Terror Attack: 12 Killed As Truck Ploughed Into Crowded Christmas Market Berlin. by Explorers(m): 5:40am On Dec 20, 2016
Police detectives climbed over the debris to search the truck, as investigators worked through the night to establish what had happened.

Re: Terror Attack: 12 Killed As Truck Ploughed Into Crowded Christmas Market Berlin. by Explorers(m): 5:44am On Dec 20, 2016
There are dozens of ambulances and fire engines at the scene as they work to recover bodies and help those injured.

Germany's justice minister says that federal prosecutors, who handle terrorism cases, were taking over the investigation.

Re: Terror Attack: 12 Killed As Truck Ploughed Into Crowded Christmas Market Berlin. by Explorers(m): 5:47am On Dec 20, 2016
Berlin's Mayor Michael Mueller speaks to the media at the scene of the crash as officials and police launched an investigation.

President-elect Donald Trump branded it an act of terrorism, tweeting: 'Today there were terror attacks in Turkey, Switzerland and Germany and it is only getting worse'

In a statement released after the crash, President elect Donald Trump said: 'Our hearts and prayers are with the loved ones of the victims of the horrifying terror attack in Berlin.

'Innocent civilians were murdered in the streets as they prepared to celebrate the Christmas holiday. 'ISIS and other Islamist terrorists continually slaughter Christians in their communities and places of worship as part of their global jihad.

'These terrorists and their regional and worldwide net works must be eradicated from the face of the earth, a mission we will carry out with all freedom-loving partners.

3 Likes

Re: Terror Attack: 12 Killed As Truck Ploughed Into Crowded Christmas Market Berlin. by Explorers(m): 5:53am On Dec 20, 2016
Retrieving bodies.

Re: Terror Attack: 12 Killed As Truck Ploughed Into Crowded Christmas Market Berlin. by Explorers(m): 5:56am On Dec 20, 2016
Police stand outside a tent near the Christmas market in Berlin as those injured in the devastating crash are treated.

Police have closed off the busy market and launched a manhunt for thesuspect, who was arrested nearby shortly afterwards.

Re: Terror Attack: 12 Killed As Truck Ploughed Into Crowded Christmas Market Berlin. by DAramis: 6:23am On Dec 20, 2016
Someone is really drumming for War

Hope when the war broke out, he will not 'chicken out' of it.
Re: Terror Attack: 12 Killed As Truck Ploughed Into Crowded Christmas Market Berlin. by Khd95(m): 6:30am On Dec 20, 2016
Wolve in sheep clothing.
That guy is one those planted by isis in europ to wreak havoc
Re: Terror Attack: 12 Killed As Truck Ploughed Into Crowded Christmas Market Berlin. by Fkforyou(m): 7:28am On Dec 20, 2016
This is unfair.....many families now would be heartbroken just because of the actions of one idiot.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Terror Attack: 12 Killed As Truck Ploughed Into Crowded Christmas Market Berlin. by duketunde: 8:37am On Dec 20, 2016
Re: Terror Attack: 12 Killed As Truck Ploughed Into Crowded Christmas Market Berlin. by Explorers(m): 8:42am On Dec 20, 2016
Fkforyou:
This is unfair.....many families now would be heartbroken just because of the actions of one idiot.

Some people are just heartless.
Re: Terror Attack: 12 Killed As Truck Ploughed Into Crowded Christmas Market Berlin. by Explorers(m): 9:22am On Dec 20, 2016
'ISIS terrorist' who killed 12 after hijacking HGV, murdering driver and ploughing into Berlin Christmas market is 'a Pakistani asylum seeker, 23, who has only been in Germany for few months'

The lorry used to kill a dozen people in Berlin last night was towed away from the scene as a 23-year-old asylum seeker was being interrogated.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4049442/Terror-attack-fears-lorry-ploughs-Christmas-market-Berlin-leaving-two-people-dead.html

Re: Terror Attack: 12 Killed As Truck Ploughed Into Crowded Christmas Market Berlin. by Explorers(m): 9:34am On Dec 20, 2016
Armed officers outside the police station where the Berlin market suspect is being held.

Re: Terror Attack: 12 Killed As Truck Ploughed Into Crowded Christmas Market Berlin. by Nobody: 9:54am On Dec 20, 2016
He's not getting it, trust me. What he'll get is a life sentence.....full stop.

Afghan and killing, its a natural trait...blood type things.

I don't think this story is as narrated. Someone is playing mind games here
Re: Terror Attack: 12 Killed As Truck Ploughed Into Crowded Christmas Market Berlin. by shininglite(m): 9:59am On Dec 20, 2016
every Muslim is not a terrorist, but every terrorist is a Muslim.. ISLAMABAD

1 Like

Re: Terror Attack: 12 Killed As Truck Ploughed Into Crowded Christmas Market Berlin. by Pronmix(m): 10:15am On Dec 20, 2016
I wish I can find the post I made about the cursed people and their exodus into Europe and how they're just going there to wreck havoc, it has just started, when they were going everybody was for them forgetting how evil and wicked they can be. Just know there is no more peace in Europe as long as the cursed is there. RIP to the dead.

2 Likes

Re: Terror Attack: 12 Killed As Truck Ploughed Into Crowded Christmas Market Berlin. by gurunlocker: 10:53am On Dec 20, 2016
They warned them not to allow those Muslim terrorists seek asylum in their country, but no they won't hear....

They only know one thing, forcing people to do their religion and bring war in their zone to a peaceful place... They done love peace, even among themselves.

8 Likes

Re: Terror Attack: 12 Killed As Truck Ploughed Into Crowded Christmas Market Berlin. by Fkforyou(m): 5:33pm On Dec 20, 2016
Explorers:

Some people are just heartless.

I tell you... cry
Re: Terror Attack: 12 Killed As Truck Ploughed Into Crowded Christmas Market Berlin. by flistyl(m): 7:37pm On Dec 20, 2016
shininglite:
every Muslim is not a terrorist, but every terrorist is a Muslim.. ISLAMABAD

continue deceiving yourself, religion of piss, as far as am concerned all muslims are potential and willing terrorists, because once they are reminded of the 7 fucking virgins waiting for them, they will do worse than those senseless idiots did in turkey and germany. ISLAMABAD ni ISLAM_IS_MAD ko.;->
Re: Terror Attack: 12 Killed As Truck Ploughed Into Crowded Christmas Market Berlin. by Nobody: 9:01pm On Dec 20, 2016
Can a man scoop fire into his lap without his clothes being burned? Europe brought this upon themselves.You opened your boarders for them at your detriment.These people can never be pleased.
There is a reason their 'brothers' in Saudi Arabia and UAE are not helping them.
Liberalism and political correctness will destroy the west because they don't want to see things for what they are.
I was against Trump but I am now glad that he won.
My only fear is that this will encourage populism;xenophobia and make it more difficult for people from developing countries to migrate to the west.
You needed to see how sober the ever happy Germans were today.Everywhere was empty and flags were flying at half mast.I feel for them;they dont deserve this.

1 Like

Re: Terror Attack: 12 Killed As Truck Ploughed Into Crowded Christmas Market Berlin. by YUNGLURD(m): 1:09pm On Dec 21, 2016
The doctrine inculcated in those bastards is very strong. How would one wants to inflict pains on other ppl baffles me. There re still some kind hearted moslems tho just that they re few in number.
Re: Terror Attack: 12 Killed As Truck Ploughed Into Crowded Christmas Market Berlin. by Explorers(m): 4:47pm On Dec 21, 2016
Most wanted: Police today revealed they are hunting Anis Amri, 23, pictured, a refugee who came to Germany earlier this year. His paperwork was found in truck's footwell.

The driver is believed to be armed and dangerous

Re: Terror Attack: 12 Killed As Truck Ploughed Into Crowded Christmas Market Berlin. by Explorers(m): 4:50pm On Dec 21, 2016
This is a clear view of the path the lorry took through the now-destroyed Christmas market in central Berlin.

(1) (2) (Reply)

‘he Loved Morning S3x, I Will Dearly Miss Him So Much’- Janet Magufuli / Nuclear Weapon By Country And How It Works / Hezbollah Joins The Chat Group : Rockets Fired From Lebanon Into Israel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.