Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,724 members, 7,809,759 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:24 PM

[TUTORIAL] Cheapest Way To Buy Items From Aliexpress With Forex Ban - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / [TUTORIAL] Cheapest Way To Buy Items From Aliexpress With Forex Ban (12775 Views)

Why You Should Worry Again About The Central Bank’s New Forex Ban / CBN Lifts Forex Ban On Toothpicks And 47 Other Items / Banks Seek Buyers As CBN Floods Market With Forex (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

[TUTORIAL] Cheapest Way To Buy Items From Aliexpress With Forex Ban by dammybas(m): 1:25pm On Dec 20, 2016
It's no news that the Forex situation in Nigeria is in some deep sh*t (forgive my language). Virtually all bank have banned the use of their naira debit cards from foreign transactions (ATM, Online, PoS etc). The banks which still allow these transactions unfortunately have very unrealistic limits. Imagine $100 per month! lipsrsealed

The average Nigerian doesn't have a dollar Mastercard/Visa card and might not be able to process one soon due to the rate at which the exchange rate is going haywire. This has made it difficult for Nigerians to purchase items.

For those who still cherish buying those awesome phones like Xiaomi, Oukitel etc or other valuable items from Aliexpress (or Gearbest) here are two different solutions which you can use easily.

METHOD 1: GTB Naira MasterCard
Rate: N320 ~ $1
Monthly Limit: $100

Guaranty Trust Bank (GTB) is one of the few banks which still allows dollar denominated transactions with Naira Mastercard. Also, Gtb has about the cheapest exchange rate at just N320 to a $1.

The only problem is that you can't make transaction of more than $100 per month. Although you can find very nice phones for less than $100 (Click here to check out some <$100 Phones) , those interested in buying phones like Xiaomi and other top end phones may have to use method 2 below.

METHOD 2: Access Bank Visa Card
Rate: N325 ~ $1
Monthly Limit: $200

Access bank also allows dollar denominated transactions with their Naira Visa Card. Their exchange rate is also fairly ok at just N325 to $1. I usually recommend their card for people looking to purchase various items like phones, Clothing, Watches at the same time.

The monthly limit for access bank is pegged at $200. You will not be allowed to make transactions once you reach the limit.

For those who don't know about Aliexpress(or other Chinese Super Online stores like Gearbest) yet, you are missing a whole lot. For an introduction, you can check out the aliexpress website (www.aliexpress.com) or read this article I wrote about 11/11 Mega sales Day (Chinese version of Black Friday) on Aliexpress -----> https://dammybas..com/2015/11/aliexpress-1111-global-sales-festival.html

Do you have an alternative method you use to buy items from Aliexpress? Please share with us! wink

3 Likes

Re: [TUTORIAL] Cheapest Way To Buy Items From Aliexpress With Forex Ban by Spymate: 2:10pm On Dec 20, 2016
How much is the shipping fee to Nigeria from aliexpress
Re: [TUTORIAL] Cheapest Way To Buy Items From Aliexpress With Forex Ban by olahero(m): 2:10pm On Dec 20, 2016
Smart thread, good of you hope.

1 Like

Re: [TUTORIAL] Cheapest Way To Buy Items From Aliexpress With Forex Ban by dammybas(m): 2:54pm On Dec 20, 2016
Spymate:
How much is the shipping fee to Nigeria from aliexpress

Most items are usually available for free shipping. Infact, for any paid shipping item there's almost always a free shipping one. But you can pay extra for shipping to DHL if you want your items to arrive in less than 5 days
Re: [TUTORIAL] Cheapest Way To Buy Items From Aliexpress With Forex Ban by scarr: 5:58am On Dec 22, 2016
following
Re: [TUTORIAL] Cheapest Way To Buy Items From Aliexpress With Forex Ban by supereagle(m): 6:29am On Dec 22, 2016
Thanks Op.
Re: [TUTORIAL] Cheapest Way To Buy Items From Aliexpress With Forex Ban by benardemma(m): 7:02am On Dec 22, 2016
You can not use Accsse bank visa card on any China portal brother, its only can be use in USA and others
Re: [TUTORIAL] Cheapest Way To Buy Items From Aliexpress With Forex Ban by Rumplesteelskin: 5:04pm On Dec 22, 2016
benardemma:
You can not use Accsse bank visa card on any China portal brother, its only can be use in USA and others

I just paid $106.95 with my Access Visa card on Aliexpress and the payment was successful... don't always sound so certain on what you don't have the fact... Peace!

2 Likes

Re: [TUTORIAL] Cheapest Way To Buy Items From Aliexpress With Forex Ban by Nobody: 9:23pm On Dec 22, 2016
Please what's the dollar rate to Naira??
Re: [TUTORIAL] Cheapest Way To Buy Items From Aliexpress With Forex Ban by dammybas(m): 6:20pm On Dec 23, 2016
Rumplesteelskin:

I just paid $106.95 with my Access Visa card on Aliexpress and the payment was successful... don't always sound so certain on what you don't have the fact... Peace!

Thank you, i was about to say the same thing.
Re: [TUTORIAL] Cheapest Way To Buy Items From Aliexpress With Forex Ban by rookidmart: 7:54am On Jan 01, 2017
nelsenhenry:
Please what's the dollar rate to Naira??
Depends on the bank.
For GTB, it's #320, Access is #325, and UBA is #315.
There are limits on the amount you can buy though.
For GTB it's $100 per month, for Access it's $200 per month.
You can check this thread for forex updates:
https://www.nairaland.com/2496037/exchange-rates-international-currencies-updates
Re: [TUTORIAL] Cheapest Way To Buy Items From Aliexpress With Forex Ban by shupy: 3:39pm On Jan 01, 2017
Thank you for this. I've never done any international transaction before. I have questions concerning the delivery. *Where's my goods going to be delivered when it gets to Nigeria? * Is it going to be safe with whom ever it's delivered to? * Also, do I have to pay any fee before collecting my order?
Re: [TUTORIAL] Cheapest Way To Buy Items From Aliexpress With Forex Ban by rookidmart: 8:48am On Jan 02, 2017
shupy:
Thank you for this. I've never done any international transaction before. I have questions concerning the delivery. *Where's my goods going to be delivered when it gets to Nigeria?
To the nearest post office, and they'll deliver to your house, or call you to pick up.
Is it going to be safe with whom ever it's delivered to? *
At the post office?
It should be.
But again this is Nigeria, and anything can happen.
Also, do I have to pay any fee before collecting my order?
According to someone that knows better than me..
optimised:

Ideally, you ought not to pay a dime. except you want to tip them N100 or N200, but I learnt some stations claims they are mandated to officially charge N500 & issue receipt.
You have already paid postage when you ordered. just have that in mind for now. Experience with your particular station will help you latter. I can only authoritatively speak for mine in details.
https://www.nairaland.com/post/52448004
Re: [TUTORIAL] Cheapest Way To Buy Items From Aliexpress With Forex Ban by shupy: 10:05am On Jan 02, 2017
@rookidmart Thank you for your response
Re: [TUTORIAL] Cheapest Way To Buy Items From Aliexpress With Forex Ban by Billyzone4: 10:45am On Jan 21, 2017
dammybas:

Most items are usually available for free shipping. Infact, for any paid shipping item there's almost always a free shipping one. But you can pay extra for shipping to DHL if you want your items to arrive in less than 5 days
can I still use a naira master card for payment on gearbest and Aliexpress on access bank?
Re: [TUTORIAL] Cheapest Way To Buy Items From Aliexpress With Forex Ban by dammybas(m): 11:43am On Jan 21, 2017
Billyzone4:
can I still use a naira master card for payment on gearbest and Aliexpress on access bank?

Access bank only allows their Naira VISA card. You can't use the MasterCard.
Re: [TUTORIAL] Cheapest Way To Buy Items From Aliexpress With Forex Ban by Billyzone4: 11:58am On Jan 21, 2017
dammybas:

Access bank only allows their Naira VISA card. You can't use the MasterCard.
what is the difference between them? But I can still use the naira card which has no monthly limit right and at gtb bank
Re: [TUTORIAL] Cheapest Way To Buy Items From Aliexpress With Forex Ban by mikecino(m): 12:27pm On Jan 21, 2017
I tot gearbest uses paypal as node of payment.
Re: [TUTORIAL] Cheapest Way To Buy Items From Aliexpress With Forex Ban by dammybas(m): 1:09pm On Jan 21, 2017
mikecino:
I tot gearbest uses paypal as node of payment.

Yes, they use PayPal and Credit/Debit Cards via PayPal.
But most people don't have a functioning PayPal account or find it hard to find their account. Hence the second method.
Re: [TUTORIAL] Cheapest Way To Buy Items From Aliexpress With Forex Ban by dammybas(m): 1:11pm On Jan 21, 2017
Billyzone4:
what is the difference between them? But I can still use the naira card which has no monthly limit right and at gtb bank

Access bank blocked naira MasterCard from dollar transaction, I don't know the reason. Only the Visa card is allowed to perform such transaction.

Gtb MasterCard has monthly limit of $100.
Re: [TUTORIAL] Cheapest Way To Buy Items From Aliexpress With Forex Ban by Billyzone4: 1:17pm On Jan 21, 2017
dammybas:

Access bank blocked naira MasterCard from dollar transaction, I don't know the reason. Only the Visa card is allowed to perform such transaction.

am talking about the naira cards of both banks or it limited to the equivalent of the dollar too?
Re: [TUTORIAL] Cheapest Way To Buy Items From Aliexpress With Forex Ban by bigiyaro(m): 1:22pm On Jan 21, 2017
dammybas:

pls can the access bank visa card be used to fund payza and perfect money? If yes do you know the current rates.
Re: [TUTORIAL] Cheapest Way To Buy Items From Aliexpress With Forex Ban by dammybas(m): 1:37pm On Jan 21, 2017
Billyzone4:
am talking about the naira cards of both banks or it limited to the equivalent of the dollar too?

Yes, I'm talking about the naira cards too.
The limit is for forex transactions
GTB » MasterCard. Limit is $100
Access bank » VISA. Limit is $200
Re: [TUTORIAL] Cheapest Way To Buy Items From Aliexpress With Forex Ban by dammybas(m): 1:37pm On Jan 21, 2017
bigiyaro:
pls can the access bank visa card be used to fund payza and perfect money? If yes do you know the current rates.

I'm not sure if it can be used, but the current rate is N325 to $1
Re: [TUTORIAL] Cheapest Way To Buy Items From Aliexpress With Forex Ban by Billyzone4: 1:54pm On Jan 21, 2017
dammybas:

thanks for the answers they were useful.
Re: [TUTORIAL] Cheapest Way To Buy Items From Aliexpress With Forex Ban by rookidmart: 2:51pm On Jan 21, 2017
dammybas:

Yes, I'm talking about the naira cards too. The limit is for forex transactions GTB » MasterCard. Limit is $100 Access bank » VISA. Limit is $200
Access Bank now has a limit of $100 monthly.
Re: [TUTORIAL] Cheapest Way To Buy Items From Aliexpress With Forex Ban by bigiyaro(m): 3:08pm On Jan 21, 2017
dammybas:

I'm not sure if it can be used, but the current rate is N325 to $1
OK. Thanks.
Re: [TUTORIAL] Cheapest Way To Buy Items From Aliexpress With Forex Ban by Donprinzee: 9:45pm On Jan 22, 2017
Can The Limit Be Extend Using Hardware Token On GT Mastercard
Re: [TUTORIAL] Cheapest Way To Buy Items From Aliexpress With Forex Ban by rookidmart: 8:47am On Jan 23, 2017
Donprinzee:
Can The Limit Be Extend Using Hardware Token On GT Mastercard
The limit cannot be exceeded at all, sir.

1 Like

Re: [TUTORIAL] Cheapest Way To Buy Items From Aliexpress With Forex Ban by mumels(m): 7:21am On Jan 26, 2017
dammybas:

Gtbank stopped its online sites Foreign transaction
Re: [TUTORIAL] Cheapest Way To Buy Items From Aliexpress With Forex Ban by rookidmart: 8:55am On Jan 26, 2017
mumels:

Gtbank stopped its online sites Foreign transaction
Really? When?
Re: [TUTORIAL] Cheapest Way To Buy Items From Aliexpress With Forex Ban by ABMC(m): 7:17pm On Jan 28, 2017
I blame APC for this dollar limit on our cards.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

EdupreneurNg : How to grow your school / Driveinhud App Soars: 45,000 Downloads And 85,000 Bookings In Just 4 Months / Increased Demand For Dollar Causes Naira To Depreciate To 1,420/$

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.