Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,727 members, 7,820,515 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:20 PM

Facebook May Destroy The Internet Soon. - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Facebook May Destroy The Internet Soon. (1615 Views)

NASA Finds Asteroid With An Evil Twin That Can ‘Potentially Destroy the Earth / Stephen Hawking: AI Could Develop A Will Of Its Own To Destroy Humanity / Facebook May Not Take Responsibilities On Fake News (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Facebook May Destroy The Internet Soon. by Nobody: 1:40pm On Dec 20, 2016
Mark Zuckerberg- Facebooks CEO is probably the most powerful person alive today.He may even be the most powerful person forever.
Traditionally,the president of the united states has been considered as the most powerful person on the planet.After all,he controls the most powerful army on earth,and has considerably influence over the $18 trillion US economy.
But president obama is beholden to systems that keep his power in check:congress and the supreme court,term limits and the American electorate.
Re: Facebook May Destroy The Internet Soon. by Nobody: 1:48pm On Dec 20, 2016
Mark Zuckerberg has non of these limitations.His power flows from facebook,the seventh largest corporation on the planet by masrket capitalization of which he owns 18% of the stock and controls 60% of the voting rights.At 32,he could still remain the CEO of facebook for another 40 years.

But Financials are just small part of what makes facebook so powerful.Here are some ways it dominates human attention.
-More than 1 billion people use facebook everyday.¼ of all time spent on the internet is spent using facebook.
-For many people (excluding me),facebook is the internet.Its the first place most people announce weddings,births,deaths etc.
-Facebook is increasingly the place where people consume other forms of media.
Re: Facebook May Destroy The Internet Soon. by Nobody: 1:55pm On Dec 20, 2016
Through its freebasics program,Facebook has literally become the internet for the worlds poor (who have to pay money to access websites outside facebook).It annoys me to think that he brought free basics to Nigeria.Does he think we cant buy data?.As for me,i dont even use the freebasics program because its completely useless.

Facebook has also used its monopoly in human to control what news is shown to whom,affecting public opinion from the shadows.You may have heard how it influenced the US elections.
Facebook knows far more about humanity than any other corporation on earth.500 terabytes of our personal data flow into Facebook every day.
Re: Facebook May Destroy The Internet Soon. by Nobody: 2:02pm On Dec 20, 2016
So far,Zuckerberg has mainly used facebooks power to further grow facebook.He acquired facebooks most aerious competitors,instagram,and WhatsApp.He offered to buy snapchat but the owner refused his money.He is now competing with Youtube for video and twitter for real time communication.

Mark is even creating Als and launching satellites(though the first one exploded).
But as facebook races towards becoming the largest corporation ever,Zuckerberg plans for it may change.

Even though he has pledged to give away 99% of his facebook stock during the course of his life,he will retain control of its board.And his power comes not from his billions of dollars but from his access to our attention and data.
Re: Facebook May Destroy The Internet Soon. by Nobody: 2:08pm On Dec 20, 2016
For the rest of his life,Zuckerberg will be able to bring facebooks incredible power to bear in achieving what he wants.

Fake news may have played a huge role in the outcome of the US elections and other elections of recent.Even fake headlines often used to trick people into clicking through ads to unrelated products can be damaging.Headlines are the only part of news that most people bother to read.
Zuckerbergs apparent goal is to reenter china,where facebook has been blocked seen 2009.
Is it a responsible use of power for mark to use his companys vast wealth and army of software engineers to aid repression of the worlds most populous country?.All to get more market share?.
Re: Facebook May Destroy The Internet Soon. by Nobody: 2:14pm On Dec 20, 2016
Facebook Everywhere
Facebook is already on our phone to pester us with notifications.For example FB messenger pops up on top of whatever you are doing once anybody sends you a message.

The only way to shut off these annoying notifications for more than 24 hours is to go deep into the OS level.
And zuck wont stop at merely pervading our existence.He wants facebook to be our existence.
Facebook is a threat to the open web

Something like facebook could never have emerged within itself.It needed an open web within to exist and operate.
Re: Facebook May Destroy The Internet Soon. by Nobody: 2:19pm On Dec 20, 2016
Google co founder sergey brim has condemned facebook and acknowledged that google itself could not succeed in the "walled garden" that facebook is making.
He said:"You have to play by thier rules,which are really restrictive.The kind of environment that we developed google in,the reason we were able to build a search engine,is because the web was open.Once you get too many rules,that will stiffle innovation".

By locking down the web,facebook is not only sucking up more of humanity's waking hours-its poisoning the well.

1 Like

Re: Facebook May Destroy The Internet Soon. by Nobody: 2:25pm On Dec 20, 2016
Organisations like Google+ and others who would come to challenge facebooks dominance will never be able to find a fertile soil they need to take root in the first place.

What can you do about it?
Many peoples instinctive reaction is to delete thier facebook account and simply ignore it.Unfortunately,that will not help matters.
Like it or not,Many people who need to hear your thoughtful opinions the most are right there on facebook,and they are being bathed in misinformation all day long.There are some ways you can make facebook saner for yourself.
Re: Facebook May Destroy The Internet Soon. by Nobody: 2:32pm On Dec 20, 2016
1-The trending section is filled with ads and misinformation.You can block it using facebook purity chrome extension.

2-Decline facebooks frequent request for your data.Dont give them access to your gmail contacts or phone number displayed.

3-Dont use facebook authentication to sign into websites or apps.

4-Spend less time on facebook,you can use your time to innovate something better than facebook instead of improving facebooks cash.

5-Think twice about sharing any personal information.
I really admire Edward Snowden and Pavel Durov(telegrams Ceo) for thier beliefs on internet privacy.Dont give facebook your whole life under surveillance.

1 Like

Re: Facebook May Destroy The Internet Soon. by pointstores(m): 5:18pm On Dec 20, 2016
scholars plenty hear
Re: Facebook May Destroy The Internet Soon. by Nobody: 8:23pm On Dec 20, 2016
pointstores:
scholars plenty hear
Who are the moderators in this section
Re: Facebook May Destroy The Internet Soon. by sugarboii(m): 8:30pm On Dec 21, 2016
Make I just siddon here
Re: Facebook May Destroy The Internet Soon. by Nobody: 8:54pm On Dec 21, 2016
sugarboii:
Make I just siddon here
Dont understand
Re: Facebook May Destroy The Internet Soon. by saintpn(f): 12:42am On Dec 22, 2016
op you speak like someone filled with jealousy and laden with hatred. If you don't like Mark then go and develop your own book and rule the earth.
Re: Facebook May Destroy The Internet Soon. by Nobody: 6:26am On Dec 22, 2016
saintpn:
op you speak like someone filled with jealousy and laden with hatred. If you don't like Mark then go and develop your own book and rule the earth.
I am not filled with jealousy and whatever you said,i only pointed out the facts i see.Moreso,whether you believe it or not,i said the truth.The bitter truth about everything.Maybe you didnt even read it completely or you are just feeble minded for you to think that i hate him.
Re: Facebook May Destroy The Internet Soon. by Nobody: 10:06pm On Dec 22, 2016
The bitter truth is, no matter how much we hate Mark, we just can't stop checking our fb account. Tell me you haven't check your account today op..
Re: Facebook May Destroy The Internet Soon. by Nobody: 12:17pm On Dec 23, 2016
HenryDion:
The bitter truth is, no matter how much we hate Mark, we just can't stop checking our fb account. Tell me you haven't check your account today op..
I dont hate mark,i justed pointed out facts
Re: Facebook May Destroy The Internet Soon. by visaclick: 8:03am On Dec 25, 2016
uber everywhere

that song has got more than 15 covers with each othem grossing over 15million views on YouTube

point is, internet now rules,not presidents
Re: Facebook May Destroy The Internet Soon. by zicoflex(m): 10:22pm On Dec 25, 2016
Sme pple tink diz young man is jealous but not he is saying the truth invest your time into something new other investing your money on something been invented think this is turning into a shame that africans dont think we have to remove this insult a word is enough for the wise
Re: Facebook May Destroy The Internet Soon. by pr0blem: 9:09pm On Dec 27, 2016
zicoflex:
Sme pple tink diz young man is jealous but not he is saying the truth invest your time into something new other investing your money on something been invented think this is turning into a shame that africans dont think we have to remove this insult a word is enough for the wise
have you heard that information is power and the easiest way to get information is through social media, I don't really do fb but the internet is the easiest place to promote yourself and get money, guys stop hating. if you don't like fb delete your acct
Re: Facebook May Destroy The Internet Soon. by Nobody: 7:02pm On Dec 29, 2016
pr0blem:
have you heard that information is power and the easiest way to get information is through social media, I don't really do fb but the internet is the easiest place to promote yourself and get money, guys stop hating. if you don't like fb delete your acct
Who talked about hate,after all the long talk you still dont get it? The man you quoted said its better we innovate something rather than spending time on someones creation.You sit there saying the easiest way of getting information is on social media,what has an African man created?The highest population of facebook freaks are in Africa.I am not forcing you to accept my views on this matter,take it or leave it
Re: Facebook May Destroy The Internet Soon. by pr0blem: 2:52pm On Jan 04, 2017
TechEnthusiast:

Who talked about hate,after all the long talk you still dont get it? The man you quoted said its better we innovate something rather than spending time on someones creation.You sit there saying the easiest way of getting information is on social media,what has an African man created?The highest population of facebook freaks are in Africa.I am not forcing you to accept my views on this matter,take it or leave it
ee have created a lot of things it just that you haven't heard of it try googling it
Re: Facebook May Destroy The Internet Soon. by Nobody: 6:37pm On Jan 04, 2017
pr0blem:
ee have created a lot of things it just that you haven't heard of it try googling it
Anything that has made impact like facebook,not just anything
Re: Facebook May Destroy The Internet Soon. by pr0blem: 8:04pm On Jan 04, 2017
TechEnthusiast:

Anything that has made impact like facebook,not just anything
yes they have been African that has made impact just that we don't hear about them because the European want us to feel useless, a lot of our geniuses are making wave there, but we don't hear their name
Re: Facebook May Destroy The Internet Soon. by Nobody: 8:07pm On Jan 04, 2017
pr0blem:
yes they have been African that has made impact just that we don't hear about them because the European want us to feel useless, a lot of our geniuses are making wave there, but we don't hear their name
We have talents that are not nurtured.You win.
Re: Facebook May Destroy The Internet Soon. by pr0blem: 8:25pm On Jan 04, 2017
TechEnthusiast:

We have talents that are not nurtured.You win.
just Google it

(1) (Reply)

A Digital Passage Counter / MIT Students Design Solar Powered Car / Spacex To Try And Land Falcon 9 On A Drone Ship In The Middle Of The Ocean

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.