Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,810 members, 7,817,352 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:47 AM

Nigerians Living Abroad Remit $35bn In 11 Months - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Nigerians Living Abroad Remit $35bn In 11 Months (10711 Views)

Jeff Bezos Agrees $35bn Divorce / Jeff Bezos: World's Richest Man Agrees $35bn Divorce With His Wife / Nigerians Living Abroad Remit $35bn In 11 Months (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Living Abroad Remit $35bn In 11 Months by Bondesniger(m): 7:05am On Dec 21, 2016
that amount is good enough to solve some of our little problems
Re: Nigerians Living Abroad Remit $35bn In 11 Months by Mayflowa(m): 7:06am On Dec 21, 2016
Aufbauh:
All these bogus figures ehnn...i tire!
How have this help the condition of the common man in the street?

I think their remittance is due largely to the huge differentiate in FX, as a man who earns $200/day abroad can comfortably do something wonderful in Nigeria this time.

Which work will pay you $200 a day? Minimum wage is less than $8 bro. Most Non professionals earn that amount from regular job. Rent is $500 per month for a single room. If you own a car, that is another case entirely.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Living Abroad Remit $35bn In 11 Months by 19naia(m): 7:11am On Dec 21, 2016
I suspect some.of it is looted Nigerian Oil dollars hidden overseas, now being sent back slowly along the long route ,cloaked as random remittances.
Of course i am sure a few billion of it is legit from hard working Nigerians all over the world. So many Nigerians around the world. Enough of them to account for billions of $ a year. But also so much loot sent out of Nigeria, enough to account for billions covertly sent back in guise of innocent remittances.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Living Abroad Remit $35bn In 11 Months by 2sexynet: 7:17am On Dec 21, 2016
Martins301:

You brain needs serious rewiring. Is the government the owner of these various news outlets? Is the government their publisher or Editor in chief? You read stuff online and you claim government is dishing out propaganda instead of focusing on the writer. I hail o
who is Abike Dabiri? Who is giving the details? Who does Abike Dabiri work for?

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Living Abroad Remit $35bn In 11 Months by lordizak(m): 7:28am On Dec 21, 2016
doe they even consider whether you are employed?
Re: Nigerians Living Abroad Remit $35bn In 11 Months by Nobody: 7:34am On Dec 21, 2016
2sexynet:
who is Abike Dabiri? Who is giving the details? Who does Abike Dabiri work for?

Rhetorical questions
Re: Nigerians Living Abroad Remit $35bn In 11 Months by Nobody: 7:39am On Dec 21, 2016
Mere looking at your composition, one cannot but wonder if you passed through school

You want to teach me public finance. Shior

mykelly:
the amount in question is not generated be the government, be guided
Re: Nigerians Living Abroad Remit $35bn In 11 Months by buffalowings: 7:53am On Dec 21, 2016
God bless them

Me to go dey there one day
Sending dollars home cool
Re: Nigerians Living Abroad Remit $35bn In 11 Months by buchai: 7:54am On Dec 21, 2016
majority of our youths are not working there are no job no work yet they are billed to pay tax. my concern and question is this, what if someone living abroad that volunteer to help this youth where will he or she get the tax clearance to process his or her passport? aduke abi abike you should answer the question.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Living Abroad Remit $35bn In 11 Months by 2n2k(m): 8:46am On Dec 21, 2016
EastGold:
When you hear the amount of money generated by this government and juxtapose it with their inability to meet their obligations as and when due, you can't but ask where goes the money?

I hope you are not thinking that remittances by Nigerians in diaspora form part of the government revenues.

If you remit money to your siblings at home, it is for your siblings to spend not for government.
Re: Nigerians Living Abroad Remit $35bn In 11 Months by rusher14: 8:57am On Dec 21, 2016
A few years ago when the price of oil was pretty high Nigerian based Nigerians here on Nairaland insulted those in diaspora because there was easy money to be made back home.
Hope a lesson has been learnt.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Living Abroad Remit $35bn In 11 Months by leofab(f): 9:04am On Dec 21, 2016
80% of the funds are from internet fraudsters.. god bless their creativity..
Re: Nigerians Living Abroad Remit $35bn In 11 Months by RealityShot: 9:24am On Dec 21, 2016
martineverest:
the brain-drain is helping the economy,tho
see..
better brain-drain than brain-clogging!
Re: Nigerians Living Abroad Remit $35bn In 11 Months by adisaigbo1(m): 9:25am On Dec 21, 2016
EastGold:
When you hear the amount of money generated by this government and juxtapose it with their inability to meet their obligations as and when due, you can't but ask where goes the money?
Mumu....money remitted by individuals from overseas is different from government revenue

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Living Abroad Remit $35bn In 11 Months by RealityShot: 9:30am On Dec 21, 2016
Bondesniger:
that amount is good enough to solve some of our little problems
yep..enough to build 3 new refineries (like dangote is planning to build @ 9billion $)
Re: Nigerians Living Abroad Remit $35bn In 11 Months by yaki84: 9:34am On Dec 21, 2016
grandstar:
I very much doubt these figures but they could be true.

This is massive profits in the hands of banks as they pay out at the official rate but sell at the black market one.
The commercial banks don't even get hold of these monies, na cbn dey cash am. Yet foreign reserve is still hovering between 24 to 25billion dolls!

Tomorrow somebody will come n shout buhari has integrity.
Re: Nigerians Living Abroad Remit $35bn In 11 Months by borntosuccess(m): 10:29am On Dec 21, 2016
dollar come don small na,matter full South Korea o
Re: Nigerians Living Abroad Remit $35bn In 11 Months by Malakh: 11:03am On Dec 21, 2016
that's because the world has planned your lives for you, that quote doesn't apply to me cause I dont desire none of them,this is why the Scriptures says you shall know the truth and it shall set you free from the world, from this things people are dying to do
Atiku2019:
Thank You Nigerians in Diaspora..... cool

Good Morning Nairalanders smiley
Re: Nigerians Living Abroad Remit $35bn In 11 Months by Pesuzok(m): 12:24pm On Dec 21, 2016
annunaki2:
Yet the naira keeps crashing, this buhari's government is even more clueless than I thought.

Yes, because we are still sending the forex out through our numerous importations

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Living Abroad Remit $35bn In 11 Months by battleaxe: 2:11pm On Dec 21, 2016
mlanreh:
With the rate at which the citizens are complaining I wonder what Buhari led administration z really doing with all the money derived from
All the money saved from subsidy to Money gotten from Corrupt individuals to internal generated funds and now $35bn remittances from those living outside d country. At this point I wonder what d future will look like under the president.

The remitted 35bln$ does not belong to the government, so it is not for President Buhari to do something with.

Is he supposed to lay claim on people's personal remittances to develop the country?
Re: Nigerians Living Abroad Remit $35bn In 11 Months by battleaxe: 2:14pm On Dec 21, 2016
Clone2020:
While this is impressive, it's still a travesty how Western Union and other remittance companies are taking advantage of Nigerians living abroad. They exchange at a rate of 375/$ plus fees which actually decrrases the rate to around 345/$, they take that same dollars and sell it t the black market at the rate of 490/$. If this is not exploration then I don't know what is.

If you are in the US or have relatives in the US trying to send money to naija, I will exchange the funds at 410/$, simply deposit into my US bank account and receive instant funding into your Nigerian account. See my contact below.

It seems to me that you're doing the same thing as WU, MG and the likes.... just that your margins are less. Right?

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Living Abroad Remit $35bn In 11 Months by mykelly(m): 3:49pm On Dec 21, 2016
I didn't pass through school sir but in the school you attended am so sure you must have been taught what is called 'typographical error'. If not google is your friend
EastGold:
Mere looking at your composition, one cannot but wonder if you passed through school

Re: Nigerians Living Abroad Remit $35bn In 11 Months by mykelly(m): 3:55pm On Dec 21, 2016
EastGold:

moreover sir, what you called composition could best be called a sentence.
Re: Nigerians Living Abroad Remit $35bn In 11 Months by Clone2020(m): 4:39pm On Dec 21, 2016
battleaxe:

It seems to me that you're doing the same thing as WU, MG and the likes.... just that your margins are less. Right?

No actually, I use it to export cars, used car engines and other merchandise.
Re: Nigerians Living Abroad Remit $35bn In 11 Months by mykelly(m): 4:54pm On Dec 21, 2016
EastGold:

also, remittances from nationals abroad does not form part of what is called Public finance Mr Composition
Re: Nigerians Living Abroad Remit $35bn In 11 Months by RealityShot: 8:53pm On Dec 21, 2016
Pesuzok:

Yes, because we are still sending the forex out through our numerous importations
especially the most useless of them all: dstv and others

do you know that their subscriptions dumps over 200 billion in exchange for dollars every january?
and Thats just premiere league viewing rights O!

this country will die from importing everything!

see the stupid american university imported by Atiku!!!

soon we go import shit and piss too!
GOSH!
Nigeria INDUSTRIALIZE your economy SMALL

(1) (2) (Reply)

Fire Outbreak Destroys Jico Tech Electircal Appliances Outlet,Bayelsa(photos) / $110m Fine: BATN Restates Commitment To Nigeria’s Laws, Makes Payments / India Seeks To Import 11m Metric Tonnes Of Nigerian Crude In 2017

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.