Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,380 members, 7,812,108 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:26 AM

The Firstfruit Controversy - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Firstfruit Controversy (2483 Views)

Kumuyi Offers To Resign Over Son's Wedding Controversy / Pastor Kumuyi's Son Apologise, controversy finally laid to rest / Giving My Firstfruit This Sunday - So Exciting! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Firstfruit Controversy by shinystar(m): 6:59pm On Jan 10, 2007
It's January and workers are looking eagerly to the first salary of the year. But some preachers are insisting the first salary must be paid to God in conformity with the firstfruit commandment from God. Will you pay 100% of your January salary to God?

What is your idea of the firstfruit? Are churches right to demand members compulsorily pay firstfruit? The controversy is raging and your view may just be the missing link.

Cheers.
Re: The Firstfruit Controversy by feelgood(m): 7:16pm On Jan 10, 2007
Your january salary to the local assembly as first fruit? Outrageous. Misrepresentation of God's holy word. Not biblical. Churches that propagate this are wicked & devilish.
However, anybody giving same as a freewill offering is in order. Not a compulsion
Re: The Firstfruit Controversy by Nobody: 8:31pm On Jan 10, 2007
shinystar:

It's January and workers are looking eagerly to the first salary of the year. But some preachers are insisting the first salary must be paid to God in conformity with the firstfruit commandment from God. Will you pay 100% of your January salary to God?

What is your idea of the firstfruit? Are churches right to demand members compulsorily pay firstfruit? The controversy is raging and your view may just be the missing link.

Cheers.

419 in the name of God. They shall in no wise lose their reward.
Re: The Firstfruit Controversy by Seun(m): 9:42pm On Jan 10, 2007
I'm shaking my head because people are just too gullible. It's beyond my understanding!!
Re: The Firstfruit Controversy by trinigirl1(f): 10:54pm On Jan 10, 2007
What absolute and complete rubbish! Please tell me you are joking and mature adults aren't so stupid to fall for such manipulative excreta!
Re: The Firstfruit Controversy by shinystar(m): 3:36pm On Jan 11, 2007
The earlier we believe it, the better for us. It is real and I have met church members who admitted they have been told to do it. One minister even said pointedly on Tv that those who default are setting themselves up against God this year. What further evidences do you need?
Re: The Firstfruit Controversy by barikade: 3:53pm On Jan 11, 2007
Na wah! January salary koo; oju kokoro nii!

It's sad that many jobless self-ordained "pastors" will go any length to take their congregation to the cleaners. What's in vogue today is the new philosophy of taking a verse and giving it another meaning to suit the atmosphere for the explosion of miracles or breakthrough. Example: Isaiah 53:5 says by His stripes we are healed. Then one of these suave fellows will come up and say something like this: "If you give a one-time offering of $535 or $53 and 50cents for the next two years, you will see healing in every aspect of your life!"

Abeg, before you laugh, this is a serious matter. Don't let any MOG take your God-given first month's pay to settle his personal bills under the excuse of a breakthrough. No one will afterwards be held accountable for the breakthrough those MOG make into your pocket.

I believe in giving, seriously. But it beats me for someone to stand up and noise this January salary issue. Actually, it works. . . but it works only for them and no one else.
Re: The Firstfruit Controversy by mazaje(m): 12:06am On Jan 12, 2007
when will all this fraudsters stop? people should just shine their eyes well well this year else,
Re: The Firstfruit Controversy by kimba(m): 5:44am On Jan 12, 2007
First fruit ko, first fruit ni,

that pastor should have called it first mango - not first fruit.

how about last fruit.
Re: The Firstfruit Controversy by bobby1(m): 6:00pm On Jan 13, 2007
pls give me a break no church can force anyone to pay your first fruits and there is nothing wrong in paying your firstfruits. it all for your own benefit. in my church we don't force people to do things and a lot of u on this forum don't know how to talk
Re: The Firstfruit Controversy by TV01(m): 2:44pm On Jan 14, 2007
shinystar:

The earlier we believe it, the better for us. It is real and I have met church members who admitted they have been told to do it. One minister even said pointedly on Tv that those who default are setting themselves up against God this year. What further evidences do you need?

I sugget you counsel the "church members" who had been told to do it the true counsel of God.
As for the minister who proclaimed it on TV, I think you should noise his name abroad, so that people can correct and/or ignore him.

We have a register of sex offenders here in the UK, maybe one for snake oil salesmen, hucksters and charlatans of the religious type would be a good idea? Truly it is written.

God bless
Re: The Firstfruit Controversy by TV01(m): 2:47pm On Jan 14, 2007
bobby1:

please give me a break no church can force anyone to pay your first fruits and there is nothing wrong in paying your firstfruits. it all for your own benefit. in my church we don't force people to do things and a lot of u on this forum don't know how to talk

Sir, I would appreciate two things from you.

1. An exposition of the "firstfruits" doctrine as you know it/it is ppreached in your church.
2. The name of your church and pastor.

We are compiling a list  grin.

Lord have mercy.
Re: The Firstfruit Controversy by Nobody: 1:38am On Jan 15, 2007
wonders shall never end.

First they ask for 10% of your gross salary

You can't meet up.

Then they ask for direct debit of the amount from your account into church account.

You still cannot comply

Then they ask you to pay it with a credit card,in other words owe American express and Visa at 26.99% interest and give to them.
In addition surrender January salary in all its entirety and neglect your bills and dependents.

This is minus the offerings,special offerings,love offerings,first Sunday offerings,mission offerings,hospitality offerings,pastors offerings,building fund offerings.

Christians wake up!!!,these people are reading some other Bible and it ends with a lot of zeros
Re: The Firstfruit Controversy by shahan(f): 9:19am On Jan 15, 2007
babyosisi:

Then they ask you to pay it with a credit card,in other words owe American express and Visa at 26.99% interest and give to them.
In addition surrender January salary in all its entirety and neglect your bills and dependents.
. . .
Christians wake up!!!,these people are reading some other Bible and it ends with a lot of zeros

shocked shocked
May God help this blessed country!
Re: The Firstfruit Controversy by mrpataki(m): 7:55pm On Jan 15, 2007
Na wah oh shocked shocked shocked shocked

Thank God that even Christian leaders are now calling for a thorough shake up in all this religion, and high insanity that follows with it.

When you begin to coerce men to pay to God, then something is wrong somewhere.
Re: The Firstfruit Controversy by shahan(f): 7:57pm On Jan 15, 2007
mrpataki:

When you begin to coerce men to pay to God, then something is wrong somewhere.

Exactly!
Re: The Firstfruit Controversy by mrpataki(m): 8:06pm On Jan 15, 2007
I remember very well in my early days in church, the church i used to attend then, the MOG would when taking the offering would tell you to raise your offering for all to see, and it must be new note and something substantial, or else you will get highly embrassed by his assistant pastors who go around looking at your denominations and judging your financial strength thereby.

Didnt take me time to get out of the place!
Re: The Firstfruit Controversy by Nobody: 2:11am On Jan 17, 2007
Any pastor that tells me I'm cursed with a curse because I refuse to give what he wanys me to give will not see me in his congregation anymore.
Well, now I can't just walk out since I now have an oga kpata kpata but it'll take Grace to keep on worshipping there.
Re: The Firstfruit Controversy by Analytical(m): 8:57am On Jan 17, 2007
All,

Shall we then all discuss what firstfruits is, so that people may know the truth and be free?

Bless y'all
Re: The Firstfruit Controversy by shahan(f): 12:35pm On Jan 17, 2007
Lol, was just about saying that! cheesy
Re: The Firstfruit Controversy by exu(m): 1:07pm On Jan 17, 2007
419 in the name of God. They shall in no wise lose their reward.

It's funny cos it's true.

Isn't it all a big sham anyway?
Re: The Firstfruit Controversy by shinystar(m): 1:55pm On Jan 17, 2007
Hello All,

I agree that we try to explain the correct version of firstfruit according to the bible. Though it is an old testament ordinance, let us try to explain how to practice it in modern day. This will empower Christians to do the right thing and not be fleeced by greedy pastors.

Thanks
Re: The Firstfruit Controversy by lafile(m): 3:06pm On Jan 17, 2007
ye. wanna know what exactly people believe about first fruits.
Re: The Firstfruit Controversy by mrpataki(m): 6:50pm On Jan 17, 2007
I believe this is the first scripture that talks on the first fruit where this controversy has emanated from.

De 26:2 -That thou shalt take of the first of all the fruit of the earth, which thou shalt bring of thy land that the LORD thy God giveth thee, and shalt put it in a basket, and shalt go unto the place which the LORD thy God shall choose to place his name there.

When a man went into the field or vineyard at the time when the fruits were ripening, he was to mark that which he observed most forward, and to lay it by for first-fruits, wheat, barley, grapes, figs, pomegranates, olives, and dates, some of each sort must be put in the same basket, with leaves between them, and presented to God in the place which He should choose (not infront of a pastor as the error has been made overtime). Now from this law we may learn,

1. To acknowledge God as the giver of all those good things which are the support and comfort of our natural life, and therefore to serve and honour Him with them.

2. To deny ourselves. What is first ripe we are most fond of; those that are nice and curious expect to be served with each fruit at its first coming in. My soul desired the first ripe fruits, Mic 7:1. When therefore God appointed them to lay those by for him he taught them to prefer the glorifying of his name before the gratifying of their own appetites and desires.

3. To give to God the first and best we have, as those that believe Him to be the first and best of beings. Those that consecrate the days of their youth, and the prime of their time, to the service and honour of God, bring Him their first fruits, and with such offerings he is well pleased.
Re: The Firstfruit Controversy by Nobody: 8:10pm On Jan 17, 2007
what about those of us that have no farms?
Re: The Firstfruit Controversy by shahan(f): 8:26pm On Jan 17, 2007
babyosisi:

what about those of us that have no farms?

Oh my goodness!! grin grin
Re: The Firstfruit Controversy by Nobody: 8:59pm On Jan 17, 2007
shahan:

Oh my goodness!! grin grin

yes dear,I only have a garden of flowers,of what use are they for an offering when in full bloom?
Re: The Firstfruit Controversy by Nobody: 10:13pm On Jan 17, 2007
give your firstflowers! grin
Re: The Firstfruit Controversy by Nobody: 12:28am On Jan 18, 2007
lol, firstflowers?
do you want the pastor to organise a special deliverance session?
Re: The Firstfruit Controversy by mrpataki(m): 2:20pm On Jan 18, 2007
Hey hey,,
Hold up here, Firstflower!
hen hen shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Never heard of that before.
Anyway what i meant applied to the times when the bible was written. I guess whatever you are into now, you can as well give the best to God.

Note: It has to come willingly from your heart.

God bless cool
Re: The Firstfruit Controversy by shinystar(m): 12:43am On Jan 20, 2007
One does not demand from us what we do not have. So, babysisi, if it is a flower that you have, it becomes your first fruit.

The misconception has to do with how to practise it in modern days. For me, it means giving God one's best, which is relative and never fixed. When there is a payrise, one can also give a fraction of the difference to God. Unlike tithe, the percent is not defined, meaning individuals are free to give whatever they deem fit. Only that it has to be from one's first earning. What I disagree with is that it must be everything. If it is the case, then it becomes allfruit and no longer firstfruit.
Re: The Firstfruit Controversy by darami(f): 1:38am On Feb 14, 2008
Proverbs 3:9 - Honor the Lord wth your possesions and with the first produce of your entire harvest.

Firstfruit is about honoring God for what He's given you. We should acknowledge Him with our very first fruits, its a way of thanking Him for what 
he has done for you.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Noetic, Purist, Lets Discuss Freewill & Predestination. / Prostitutes Rape Pastors In Delta / God And Medicine: Which Is More Reliable And Why?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.