Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,846 members, 7,810,258 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:13 AM

Farmers Community - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Farmers Community (3021 Views)

Cucumber Farmers, Let's Meet Here / Steps To Increasing Revenue For Farmers / CATFISH MART. A Platform That Connects Catfish Farmers Directly To Buyers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Farmers Community by farmvilla: 2:06pm On Dec 21, 2016
Hello farmers' I just want to invite u to our whatsapp group where u can discuss and sell ur farm products. Serious members only bcaus if u post anything not farm. Related u will be booted out cool . Send me a message on whatsapp to join d group. 09059383482

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Farmers Community by GabdelandAgro(m): 4:12pm On Dec 21, 2016
farmvilla:
Hello farmers' I just want to invite u to our whatsapp group where u can discuss and sell ur farm products. Serious members only bcaus if u post anything not farm. Related u will be booted out cool . Send me a message on whatsapp to join d group. 09059383482
Gabdeland Agro Enterprises 09095500809, add us
Re: Farmers Community by Mondayrichard: 4:35pm On Dec 21, 2016
I'm looking for serious minded resource persons that will work with me to develop a 6month Agribusiness training package for 120youths but in batches of 60 each.You can reach me on 08038907106 for more info.Thank you
Re: Farmers Community by farmvilla: 10:33am On Dec 27, 2016
Hello farmers, season greetings hope u all had a positive yield. come join our whatsapp group and let's help each other grow.
Re: Farmers Community by farmvilla: 7:51pm On Jan 06, 2017
cat fish tips: The cost of feeding claria is there, though you can stock as much as possible in a pond. The heterobranchus feed little, but you cannot stock many in a pond because they grow bigger and therefore need a lot of space. You can feed heterobranchus with virtually anything. Many people are devising various methods of feeding them. I will advise that no matter what you do, try and add some protein into it.
Re: Farmers Community by DengXioping(m): 8:35pm On Jan 06, 2017
Am Niyi. 08034952269. Pls add me up
Re: Farmers Community by Ajgal10(f): 7:55am On Jan 08, 2017
DengXioping:
Am Niyi. 08034952269. Pls add me up
Niyi where is my work?
Re: Farmers Community by princelynx: 5:31pm On Jan 08, 2017
I'm interested 08030435197
Re: Farmers Community by idowuolusola92: 8:29pm On Jan 08, 2017
m interested 08132426924
Re: Farmers Community by Yitzchaq(m): 11:48pm On Jan 08, 2017
Buzz me on 08137932570 to get added to crop farming group on telegram.
Re: Farmers Community by farmvilla: 9:30am On Jan 09, 2017
Farmtips 004: SOIL ORGANISMS

Measure the animal life in your soil by digging down at least 6 inches and peering intently into the hole for 4 minutes. Tick off the number and species of each organism observed, such as centipedes, ground beetles, and spiders. Because most soil organisms spurn daylight, gently probe the soil to unearth the more shy residents. If you count less than 10, your soil does not have enough active players in the food chain.

Why It's Important

A thriving population of diverse fungi, bacteria, insects, and invertebrates is one of the most visible signs of soil quality. The more that creeps and crawls under your soil, the less opportunity there is for pests and disease. Each level of soil life does its part to break down plant residue and make more nutrients available for plant growth.
Re: Farmers Community by Turks: 12:56pm On Jan 09, 2017
Re: Farmers Community by farmvilla: 9:59am On Jan 11, 2017
Farm tips 005: Farm investment can be a tricky and complicated business to venture into. Finding the right land to invest in requires a lot of research and patience.
Here are few things to look out for if you choose to invest in a farmland.

1- Always ensure you verify the land documents of the owner of the farmland in a land office located in your area to help you ensure that the land is legal and it's not reserved for other purposes by the government. Verifying such documents cost between 2-5K depending on your location.

2- Ensure that what ever documents you sign with respect to your intended investment must contain three signatories (investor, owner of the farmland and a lawyer).

3- Read through the terms of service in the contract for your intended investment to ensure there are no loopholes.

4- Carry out soil fertility test or livestock health test to know the quality of your investment.

5- Ensure you have a copy of the contract and land documents for reference purposes.
Re: Farmers Community by farmvilla: 9:27am On Jan 13, 2017
Farmtips 006: EARTHWORMS
When the soil is not too dry or wet, examine the soil surface for earthworm casts and/or burrows. Then dig out 6 inches of soil and count the number of earthworms squirming on the shovel. Three worms are good; five are better. The absence of worms means the soil does not have enough of the organic matter they feed on. An exception: If you live in the desert area(sokoto,maiduguri e.t.c), don't waste your time looking, even if the soil displays other conditions of soil quality. Earthworm activity is less likely in the desert.Worms don't like hot soil.

Why It's Important
Not only do earthworms aerate the soil, but their casts infuse the soil with enzymes, bacteria, organic matter, and plant nutrients. They also increase water infiltration and secrete compounds that bind soil particles together for better tilth.
Re: Farmers Community by farmvilla: 10:53am On Jan 15, 2017
Farm tips 007:
Ensure that water quality entering into your ponds is not compromised. As much as possible, prevent turbid water from flood entering into your pond. Also take note of water coming into your pond from adjoining ponds. If you allow water from disease infected ponds to enter into your pond, sooner or later, you will start to experience the same diseases in those ponds where your water source is derived. Never allow water coming out of ponds with bigger fishes to enter into ponds of smaller fishes. It is possible that bigger fishes have developed resistance to certain diseases in their ponds. Smaller fishes receiving water from bigger fishes with disease will be at the risk of infection.
Re: Farmers Community by farmvilla: 11:36am On Jan 16, 2017
Farmtips 008:
Routine medication can be applied to prevent mortality. This is done by adding certain mild drugs into your feed periodically (e.g. once in a month). However, experience has shown that there are certain challenges related to routine medication in catfish feed. It can lead to development of resistance to certain drugs causing them to be more vulnerable when they are sick and the same drug is applied.
Re: Farmers Community by farmvilla: 2:36pm On Jan 25, 2017
Farmtips 009:Three people needed to run a successful farm business.
Every farmland requires certain level of expertise for it to be a success and such success lays in the hands of this three individuals.

1- Farmer: well it's no news that only a farmer can run a farm. knowledge,experience and the right attitude makes a farmer.

2- Businessman: let's be realistic here, you spend months cultivating or rearing your livestock just to for fun or maybe you just like hard labour and giving out free money?.. if your answer is NO then we are on the same page. It's good to have a good knowledge about the farm but what's also important is having an individual who has knowledge about how the business aspect of a farm works. Such an individual's task is to ensure that what ever items you buy for your farm are the best price and also ensure that there is a readily available market for your product at a good price. This is beneficial in so many ways to the farmer and also ensures that he sees the fruit of his labour.

3-farm doctor: most farmers tend to ignore the need to have their produce or livestock checked on a weekly or even monthly basis by such experts. It only becomes necessary when there is a problem, such ideologies have led to an avoidable loss of farm products and also financial loss. Such individuals play a large role in ensuring the quality and quantity of crops and livestock and inevitably lead to a higher returns on investment
Re: Farmers Community by Nicogen4us(f): 8:38pm On Jan 25, 2017
Mondayrichard:
I'm looking for serious minded resource persons that will work with me to develop a 6month Agribusiness training package for 120youths but in batches of 60 each.You can reach me on 08038907106 for more info.Thank you
location is needed as am a facilitator already
Re: Farmers Community by nkemjacob2(m): 9:58pm On Jan 25, 2017
08063119959 am interested
Re: Farmers Community by adeniyi65(m): 11:02pm On Jan 25, 2017
Mondayrichard:
in what area of agriculture pls?
Re: Farmers Community by adeniyi65(m): 11:06pm On Jan 25, 2017
Am intrested.my whatsapp nmbr down in my signature.
Re: Farmers Community by farmvilla: 8:43pm On Jan 27, 2017
Farmtips 010: land preparation tips(dry season crops)
make beds, about 5m by 2m in size. If your land can accommodate lots of beds, put a walking space between the beds, you wouldn’t want to damage your plants by walking on them. The bedding process will also help in tilling the soil.
It is best to incorporate organic fertilizer like animal manure into the soil at this stage before planting. Spread and mix it on the soil with water while making the beds.
Re: Farmers Community by farmvilla: 10:47am On Jan 28, 2017
Farmtips 011: planting tips(dry season crops)
It is highly recommended that you plant very early in the morning or evenings (when the weather is not so hot), it will help in the plant growth and development.

Vegetable type Spacing Maturity period

Ugwu 0.2m by 0.5m 4 – 5 weeks
Tete / Shoko Spread across bed 3 – 4 weeks
Ewedu Spread across bed 3 – 4 weeks
Waterleaf Spread across bed 3 – 4 weeks
Okra 9 – 12 weeks

1 Like

Re: Farmers Community by austino01(m): 11:03am On Jan 28, 2017
Are you among the Nigerian youth that is ready to make good money this 2017, if that is you,please join 100's of youth getting full knowledge on pig farming and getting help to become their own boss before the end of the year Lots of money to be made in this business let me show you how and you will not be disappointed. send me a request on whats app +14042549461 and i will add you to the group don't be left out.
Re: Farmers Community by refibul: 11:55am On Jan 29, 2017
It is valuable to much. I like very much to posting.
wifi password hacker
Re: Farmers Community by farmvilla: 4:25pm On Jan 29, 2017
Farmtips 012: dry seasons crops.
crops planted during the dry season (between November and March) are usually vegetables and maize sometimes.The products are always fresh and healthy.

Planting during the dry season pays more to farmers as the vegetables are usually more expensive and neat unlike the ones gotten in rainy season.
Re: Farmers Community by Toptech: 6:38am On Jan 30, 2017
PLEASE ADD ME
Re: Farmers Community by farmvilla: 8:10pm On Feb 01, 2017
farmtips 013: farm irrigation(1)

NATURAL CONDITIONS
The natural conditions such as soil type, slope, climate, water quality and availability, have the following impact on the choice of an irrigation method:
Soil type:
Sandy soils have a low water storage capacity and a high infiltration rate. They therefore need frequent but small irrigation applications, in particular when the sandy soil is also shallow. Under these circumstances, sprinkler or drip irrigation are more suitable than surface irrigation. On loam or clay soils all three irrigation methods can be used, but surface irrigation is more commonly found. Clay soils with low infiltration rates are ideally suited to surface irrigation.
when a variety of different soil types is found within one irrigation scheme, sprinkler or drip irrigation are recommended as they will ensure a more even water distribution.
Slope:
Sprinkler or drip irrigation are preferred above surface irrigation on steeper or unevenly sloping lands as they require little or no land levelling. An exception is rice grown on terraces on sloping lands.
Climate:
Strong wind can disturb the spraying of water from sprinklers. Under very windy conditions, drip or surface irrigation methods are preferred. In areas of supplementary irrigation, sprinkler or drip irrigation may be more suitable than surface irrigation because of their flexibility and adaptability to varying irrigation demands on the farm.
Water availability:

Water application efficiency is generally higher with sprinkler and drip irrigation than surface irrigation and so these methods are preferred when water is in short supply. However, it must be remembered that efficiency is just as much a function of the irrigator as the method used.
Water quality:
Surface irrigation is preferred if the irrigation water contains much sediment. The sediments may clog the drip or sprinkler irrigation systems.
If the irrigation water contains dissolved salts, drip irrigation is particularly suitable, as less water is applied to the soil than with surface methods.

Sprinkler systems are more efficient that surface irrigation methods in leaching out salts
Re: Farmers Community by farmvilla: 9:09pm On Feb 03, 2017
farmtips 014: farm irrigation (2)

TYPE OF CROP
Surface irrigation can be used for all types of crops. Sprinkler and drip irrigation, because of their high capital investment per hectare, are mostly used for high value cash crops, such as vegetables and fruit trees. They are seldom used for the lower value staple crops.
Drip irrigation is suited to irrigating individual plants or trees or row crops such as vegetables and sugarcane. It is not suitable for close growing crops (e.g. rice).
Re: Farmers Community by jozef4links: 8:36am On Feb 04, 2017
Re: Farmers Community by farmvilla: 9:43am On Feb 04, 2017
farmtips 015: farm irrigation(3)

Basin, Furrow or Border Irrigation:

NATURAL CIRCUMSTANCES
Flat lands, with a slope of 0.1% or less, are best suited for basin irrigation: little land levelling will be required. If the slope is more than 1%, terraces can be constructed. However, the amount of land levelling can be considerable.
Furrow irrigation can be used on flat land (short, near horizontal furrows), and on mildly sloping land with a slope of maximum 0.5%. On steeper sloping land, contour furrows can be used up to a maximum land slope of 3%. A minimum slope of 0.05% is recommended to assist drainage.
Border irrigation can be used on sloping land up to 2% on sandy soil and 5% on clay soil. A minimum slope of 0.05% is recommended to ensure adequate drainage.
Surface irrigation may be difficult to use on irregular slopes as considerable land levelling may be required to achieve the required land gradients.
All soil types, except coarse sand with an infiltration rate of more than 30 mm/hour, can be used for surface irrigation. If the infiltration rate is higher than 30 mm/hour, sprinkler or drip irrigation should be used.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Grinding And Pelleting Machine For Sale / Ofada Rice Seed For Sale!! / Raw Cashew Nuts RCN Cutter For Testing Cashew Quality Available For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.